• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you entertained by OT's mixed with new topics?

• Thumbs Up

• Thumbs Down

• This is too political!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
7HuF3Rm.jpg

OI0niq3.gif

Just caught up and I think I understand the frustration with this change.

We never had the intention to seperate politics from entertainment - I think considering how we already moderate threads that are a fusion of both entertainment and politics should be evidence enough of that. A thread about LeBron James calling Clownstick Von Fuckface a bum would have both a place in the Entertainment and the Etcetera section, probably even more so in the Entertainment forum. I understand the fear that we allow people to completely dissappear in their little Entertainment echo chamber, but this Entertainment forum would not be free of that.

I'm sure people will still believe what they want to believe at the end of the day, but I can promise you that when this idea first came up, we only had the best intentions in mind, which was to encourage more discussion and to give more visibility to community threads that different people might find interest in. We talked about this for a long time and decided to at least give it a shot for a some time, which we are doing now. If it's not working after a while, we're obviously not going to leave it as it is, which makes those dooming posts about this change even more confusing to me, but we clearly haven't explained that well enough so I somewhat get why that kind of thinking happens.
From what I understand though is that this change actually feels like a step back to many (especially those who are interested in news and shit) because now you not only have to navigate through three forums to get to the content you are interested in but also have to browse through forums filled with OTs. From that perspective, it absolutely makes sense that a lot of you are annoyed about this change.

So I guess my question is: would you guys be a bit more happy with this change if we had a thread ignore feature that works both on desktop or mobile? Or is this something that should be reversed because it harms your enjoyment of the forum?

Last edited:

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
so wait, where are the news about movies and stuff, is entertaiment just for the OTs?

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
This is really confusing, does this mean hangouts are now mixed in with "normal" topics?
But the secret hangouts :(

Also, on topic, yes I am entertained at the moment by music. But it's video game music, so maybe this isn't the best forum to mention it.

Oct 28, 2017
California
Thought I was going to like the change, but I don't like seeing all the OTs clog up the Etcetera section.

Oh well, will take some time getting used to.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Site looks like a mess.

Like a temporary solution before a section is made for community threads because browsing now is trying to find the normal threads in between the community threads

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how this makes community threads more viable but it sure as shit gives the "I don't want to see politics." complainers what they want.

Oct 26, 2017
Now there's just a bunch of OTs cluttering the front page

Laaaaaaaaame

Seriously - I doubt people venture too far past page 1 of threads, constant bumping of OTs with communities rightfully shooting the shit is going to drown a lot of smaller threads.

Also keeping eyes on two 'off topic' sections sucks.

...I mean yes entertainment for sure yes

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this sucks. Even more than I thought it would. Just a mess.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017

CassCade

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
No, am more confused, what exactly counts as entertainment, is this where we post threads about music, films, TV, games(??), etc, why are the hangouts here then? This has me very confused.

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
I don't like all of the OT's taking up space in here and EtcetEra. They both look like a complete mess and should have separate Hangouts. I don't mind the whole Entertainment thing but this looks sloppy and not well thought out at all.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
The OT topics need to be a different color or something. I think that would help with this mess.

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
This is exactly what I expected, 20+ OT's permanently on the first page almost as if they were stickied topics.

Going to be even more of a mess when all the TV show OT's are cluttering this as well later this month. Yay. /s

Rezbit

Oct 26, 2017
Looks a bit of a mess to be honest. Old community threads will still just get pushed to the bottom. People should just make use of the watch button.

Or, if there are no people posting? If it dies, it dies.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
It's gonna be great now that news/discussion and community megathreads are going to be competing for the exact same real estate. Now lower activity community threads will be harder to find because they'll get pushed off first few pages faster and mixed up rather than being grouped together in a more static index, and news/discussion threads will be buried under a set of de facto stickied community threads.

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
The three sections is fine but mixing OT's into the mix is not good. It just feels cluttered now. I came in here like...
giphy.webp

Status
Not open for further replies.