• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you entertained by OT's mixed with new topics?

• Thumbs Up

• Thumbs Down

• This is too political!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aerogamer

Oct 25, 2017
A few points:

- This change helps encourage the dominance of megathreads, which can be stifling for forums.
- It makes it more difficult to find the latest news threads, the Hangouts section helped avoid that.
- More people will have to visit more forum sections, but this is a browsing experience inconvenience for many people in this age.
- Some people simply won't bother visiting a third forum section.

This could all be detrimental to traffic in the long run, the opposite of the desired effect...

I agree with these points completely. It would be a shame to segment this community.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I'd be 100 percent open to a separation in entertainment and Etc, but the lack of direct communication in what that means, in what that entails

it's confusing

just communicate with us more, ya?

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone that actually bought the administration's line about hangouts visibility is being hugely naive. Anyway this is a disaster either way, no matter what their true intentions were.

Pretty much. I said it in the announcement thread that it read like gaslighting. I stand by that.

Lonewulfeus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Solution should have been to use keywords in a thread topic to show community threads or even other normal threads that would be related after the last post in a thread kind of like amazon suggestions. Or even hide it behind a mouse click.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Honestly another thing about this that I don't like is now I have to think about where I want to go depending on what I might want to read about. Before it was simple, if it's not gaming specific, then off to EtcetEra. Now we have this odd split which seems fine when you really look at the specifics, but at a glance, yeah I'm not so sure about it. Probably just gonna go back to sticking with Video Games for now until this is sorted out. Call me dumb, but the simplicity of the way it was before is what appealed to me.

principal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 14, 2018
Wait this forum is an LLC?

Lol everything makes sense now.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Dear admins,

LOOK at the "entertainment" forum.

LOOK at the current state of the etcetera forum.

Is THIS what you wanted out of Resetera? For Off-topic to be split in two and both sections cluttered and made an unreadable mess by a huge number of Official Threads?

Absolutely baffling decision.

tenor.gif

You've destroyed half of this forum. Do yourself and everyone else a favor and revert things to the way they were ASAP. Anyone that agreed with this dumbfounding decision honestly does not actually use the forum.

I assume so. It is sad but this website seemingly cannot stand criticism. They'll powertrip through this enormous mistake and that'll be the end of it, just like the current "default" themes.

they'll have to show their colors - it's clear people don't want this change

either they'll revert or make it clear they don't give a shit what posters think and are fine with chaos and the forum devolving into a right wing bent

D65

Oct 26, 2017
I have no idea what the difference is supposed to be I'm so freaking confused this is a shite change

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how feasible these options realistically are, but a couple of thoughts on possible ways to alleviate the impact:

* Two separate filters. One filter mimics the previous structure, the other the current structure; in other words, which threads appear *where* is solely a user-defined thing. Would presumably need flagging on a per-thread nature?

* Bring back hangouts (*maybe* keep the ETC/Entertainment split) but at the top of the thread list for the general forum you can see five randomly-selected Hangouts that have had activity in the last 24h; few enough that they don't swamp the forum, sufficient that there's a chance one will catch a curious person's eye. Would require code to generate that collection of hangouts. Basically a similar principle to the hangout highlights, but cycling more rapidly.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
This sucks. I specifically liked GAF, and now ERA, because of the simplicity of the format. I have zero interest in seeing most community threads, most of the time. I have some interest in looking into community threads a on rare occasion where a related current event occurs. With that in mind, ignoring those threads is not an acceptable solution. If a community thread is having trouble staying active and healthy... then maybe they're legitimately not needed, instead of shoving them in everyone else's face.

This is the one forum out there that doesn't have a clusterfuck of categories where you have to click around all over the place to find a variety of interesting things to read, and have some categories more active than others. I can click on any of the two sub-forums here and they're always active, and always have a smattering of interesting topics to read.

Video Games | Everything Else

All a forum needs. Do not mix in community threads. Do not split Entertainment out into its own category.

Just_a_Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I'm confused by this new layout, everything seems in disarray now. I preferred the old format much more. I know I'm just a low ranking member as far as things go around here, but I feel like more of the forum should have been polled about this change, instead of just rushing it out.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
Video games: 33,436 threads. Phew! Boy I wish I could find communities out of that. Oh, wait...
Hangouts: 707 threads. Good to see this separated out! Easy to sort through. Whoever thought of this sure was smart!
Entertainment: 2,071 threads of a mixed variety of "normal" threads and some communities. Kay. I'll give this a shot. New feature! Neat!
EtcetEra: 28,229 threads. Phew! Boy, I wish I could find communities out of that. I vaguely recall having a system like that before. Why would anyone get rid of that?

Who decided it was a good idea to remove a server feature? And where's that list of Prominent Posters that were allegedly polled for this?
Reminder: Cancel your Clear subscriptions if you have them.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I don't mind a seperate Entertainment section, but yeah mixing in the OTs has turned out to be as much of a mess as I expected.

I think I'll just stick to the Video Games board for now. I can't be bothered trying to navigate the other sections since it's now 50% OTs and 50% everything else.

Oct 27, 2017
Major thumbs down for me. This is even worse than I thought it would be. The entertainment and EtcetEra section is nearly unusable because it's completely clogged by the OTs. The site is not usable on mobile without the ability to block the community threads.

I'm hugely in favour of this being totally reverted.

SchuckyDucky

Avenger
Nov 5, 2017
So I guess my question is: would you guys be a bit more happy with this change if we had a thread ignore feature that works both on desktop or mobile? Or is this something that should be reversed because it harms your enjoyment of the forum?

I'd rather this be reversed, honestly. Maybe y'all could try something like this again, but get more community feedback before implementing it?

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
Video Games | Everything Else
i liked that layout, too

but at the same time, i could see myself being talked into a place where a third option could be considered

the key word there being 'talked'

discussion should lead this forum, in my opinion, and the lack of that has been a flaw in this situation in a major way

ThatWasAJoke

Oct 28, 2017
This fucking sucks. When I browse the forum I want to see news, not a billion OTs which I dont care about. Why not just ask the community? Most are clearly against

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Let see this forum has more than 64.000 threads. I image 70% of that from etcetera.

So instead of adding normal feather like any other forums have like emoji thread ignore, some staffs take their time to move ten thousands of threads into 2 separate sub.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
This is obviously a moneyhat by some OTs to get more exposure.
But which ones?

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I just got home from a 12 hour shift and checked in here at Era to see what to make of all of it, with a tiny bit of hope inside that something would have went wrong and the changeover was delayed. Nope. The change happened, and I feel exactly how I thought I would before: I don't like it. The fracturing of EcetEra into two different forums is the main thing that I'm hating.

Hopefully it either goes back to the way it was with two main forums and the EtcEra Hangouts subforum comes back, the EtcEra Hangouts stays gone but Entertainment and EtcetEra merge back into one and we just have the Hangout community OTs mixed in with the old EtcetEra that we're all used to, or the site goes full-on GameFAQs and adds dozens (hundreds even?) of subforums for everything from PS4 and Xbox to Anime to Politics to Films and more. The first option is most-preferable, the second I could live with, and the third one would be god-awful but at least it'd make me laugh a bit.

I'm not looking forward to seeing what the impending 2.0 version of the site winds up being.

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even care about the OT clog. There are already unofficial workarounds to that.

I just hate having to navigate two different boards for non-gaming news. It's a usability inconvenience, and just means I'll stick to gaming instead of gaming and Etc.

Good job, visibility.

Majora85

Nov 21, 2017
I don't understand this change at all. Why on earth am I having to wade through official threads for American Sports I have no interest in just to find nuggets of actual threads about entertainment? Surely most of us can agree that entertainment and sports are not synonymous at all? Tell someone you have a section dedicated to entertainment and they would surely think of music, film and TV first and foremost?

The Etc board is a similar clusterfuck. It's basically ruined how I used the board because the stuff I want to read is split between two boards and is being obscured by a million community threads I have no interest in. A mess.

Oct 27, 2017
This is obviously a moneyhat by some OTs to get more exposure.
But which ones?
It was implied in the announcement thread that the "community resettlers" are those who were asked about this. Those people are largely those who were actively involved in the community threads both on this forum and the previous forum. No answer was given as to exactly who was consulted, but this was heavily implied.

Deleted member 21

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Given the admins closed the feedback thread after three hours because they didn't like the feedback, and haven't done one iota to fix the redesign disaster in months and months and have maintained radio silence about it, why would you think people wouldn't assume you'll leave it as is regardless?

People assume that because this forum does not have a good track record of consulting or fixing mistakes. Not good at all.

I won't go into more detail as this thread is not about the failed feedback thread. I'll say this: it's not that we didn't like the feedback from the thread, but that certain individuals took the thread as an opportunity to lash out against the staff in front of an audience which culminated in a framing of an event that gave the impression that we shutdown a minority community which is nonsense. Our communication in that thread could have been much better, and I apologize for that. That being said: the bits and pieces of valuable feedback are being looked at and incorporated into 2.0.

As for the "redesign disaster": this was always meant as a temporary solution until 2.0 and we always kept the legacy themes available to everybody. To say that we did ignore feedback is wrong as there have been new fixed added since the initial launch version.

Now, I want to get back to this restructuring thing

Again, this just seems like more work for everyone fixing a problem that didn't exist beyond OT threads having generally less activity. Aesthetically, having OT's clog up valuable space for news and "How do I flush toilet" threads just doesn't work, and even with an "Ignore thread" feature would leave non-members SOL

I can see that.

Will the site admin be keeping track of thread stats so that they can objectively tell if this is an improvement or failure?

Of course; I think even if this one started as a troll thread that we can get something valuable out of it, and so far the consensus seems pretty clear to me

How unfortunate that this administration loves to do this sort of big changes without any input from the community.

We have consulted with community leaders (Prominent Members™) who we see as representatives of our sub-communities about this change and their feedback has been way more positive than in this thread or the announcement one which is why perceived this as a positive change for many. To say that we didn't ask for any input is flat out wrong, but this thread makes it clear that the community wants to be consulted more when it comes to big changes like this one which will be reconsidered.

The parts of the mod/admin team that thought this was a good idea probably shouldn't be making decisions about forum organizational topics like this anymore. Numerous posters in the announcement thread explicitly stated this exact complaint about the OTs and the administrative staff completely disregarded those concerns, speaking past those people instead of actually addressing those concerns directly. The reason the Iraq II/Brexit analogies have been popping up is because this horrible end result was completely predictable, and the fact that the administrative staff could not see it coming is cause for making sure people in those positions don't get to make those decisions again. I'm not asking for anyone to be fired/step down, but I am asking you to consider that this was an unnecessary own goal that resulted from your own hubris and inability to listen.

This change is actively harming the forums, it will be incredibly damaging if you let it go on any longer than necessary, and you need to get the giant legacy OTs out of Entertainment/ETC and into the main Hangouts forum in order to have any chance of getting actual feedback on the ETC/Entertainment split without flotsam and jetsam that's currently blighting the forums.

Let me be clear: the Iraq analogies have been popping up because you made them in the first place, and while I get what you want to express with that analogy, I think it's overly dramatic.

As for the rest of your post: I hear you.

For me I guess the split seems abitrary, especially given the amount of threads that can go into either. Not only do I now have to check two forums for the same amount of news as before, if I'm looking for a specific thread about something I have to search both. The OTs are also a problem for general browsing - I subscribe to a couple of OTs I want to stay current with, and will go looking for one when I'm doing/playing/watching something that has one, but parsing through them all on a daily basis when looking for new news is not a fun experience. I don't really want to have to hide all OTs or threads by OT creators as people have suggested in here, but it's probably what I'll have to go with if the current setup stays.

I know you're concerned about smaller OTs getting neglected, but the alternative of popular OTs flooding the main forum>hiding all OTs to be able to actually see the front page doesn't seem much better.

I hear you. I understand that a clean front page is very important to a lot of you and your points make sense

You already inadvertently did this by separating entertainment and etc era...

Is this a joke? That's literally what you just did.

What?

This observation only makes sense if you view entertainment in general as free from politics, which it is not - I even mentioned the LeBron James example and another one would be the NFL shenanigans, stuff like the #OscarsSoWhite controversy or even some #MeToo stories that involve people from the entertainment sector. Politics would have a place in entertainment just as they do in gaming

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
So I guess my question is: would you guys be a bit more happy with this change if we had a thread ignore feature that works both on desktop or mobile? Or is this something that should be reversed because it harms your enjoyment of the forum?

"Would you guys be a bit happy with the unwanted and not helpful changes we made by adding an ignore button?????"

TURN IT BACK jesus fucking christ. There was nothing wrong with it all in the first place.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
What?

This observation only makes sense if you view entertainment in general as free from politics, which it is not - I even mentioned the LeBron James example and another one would be the NFL shenanigans, stuff like the #OscarsSoWhite controversy or even some #MeToo stories that involve people from the entertainment sector. Politics would have a place in entertainment just as they do in gaming
I don't see how this is any different from how it was before, besides the possibility of the separation happening over time

Status
Not open for further replies.