• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
At the time of this thread, Al Ewing and Joe Bennett's Immortal Hulk is 24 issues deep, and is enjoying widespread critical and even commercial success, as well as an Eisner nomination for best continuing series.

stl114216.jpg

How did we get here? How did a Hulk title become one of the hottest properties on the market? Let's turn back time a bit:

The year is 2016

The Hulk, one of Marvel's most recognizable characters, has found himself in a bit of a creative slump. Greg Pak's 2006 (!) storyline Planet Hulk had enjoyed widespread critical acclaim, perhaps the most the character had enjoyed since Peter David's seminal run. But the culmination of the storyline, World War Hulk, was divisive, and Hulk sort of bounced around in a variety of directions afterwards. Hulk's longstanding nemesis Thunderbolt Ross turned himself into a Red Hulk, Hulk found out he had a son, then offered to work for SHIELD for a bit, then enjoyed being smart for a spell as Doc Green. Nothing really seemed to catch on and get people talking about the character.

Flashforward to 2016, and Marvel is in the middle of one of its typical big blockbuster crossover events. This time it's Civil War 2, a spiritual sequel to the critically divisive yet commercially successfully comic event Civil War, just in time for the MCU film of the same name to boot. In addition to the event, Marvel was smack in the middle of its ALL NEW, ALL DIFFERENT branding, which was marked by a push to focus on newer, younger, and more diverse successors to classic Marvel heroes (and saw the birth of fan favorites like Ms Marvel, Jan Foster Thor, and the reintegration of Miles Morales into the main Marvel Universe) and figured the time was right to give the big guy some time off. They seemingly had supergenius Amadeus Cho absorb his Hulk energy to become a "Totally Awesome" fun loving Hulk, and Bruce Banner himself looked to get some rest.

And then a future telling Inhuman told everyone the Hulk was going to kill everyone. When the heroes go to confront Bruce about this, he seemingly loses his temper, causing Hawkeye to make a snap decision.

_90377241_hulk1.jpg

Turns out Bruce, paranoid as ever, had asked Hawkeye to put him down with a specially made gamma infused adamantium tipped arrow in the event that the Hulk looked to come back.

Now comic book deaths, as we know, are a dime a dozen. But there is a customary "cooling off period" for heroes who fall in the line of duty, and Hulk was no different, with the aforementioned Cho and his cousin Jen "She-Hulk" Walters around to take his place (She Hulk had become more savage and "classic Hulk" after the events of Civil War 2). Jump forward a few months and the Uncanny Avengers find themselves fighting against the evil ninja clan "The Hand", who have exhumed Banner's body and put the Hulk under their command.

The sorcerer Brother Voodoo was able to purge the Hulk of the Hand's influence and seemingly put him to rest, as Bruce Banner would go back to being dead.

Jump forward a few months after that. Marvel is once again in the middle of one of its big linewide events. This time it's Secret Empire, the controversial and much ballyhooed storyline that saw Steve Roger's past get reality warped to become a Hydra sleeper agent, and through his machinations stages a coup against the United States and hunts down his former allies who have now become a resistance force. In the fifth issue Hydra takes a cue from The Hand and uses comic science to temporarily resurrect Banner. While Banner himself isn't really on board with Hydra Cap, Cap is able to convince the Hulk to lash out against the resistance, and the ensuing battle levels their hideout. The science keeping Banner alive wears off, and Hulk is buried in the rubble, seemingly dead once again.

Jump forward a few months after that. The disparate Avengers titles (Mark Waid's Avengers, Jim Zub's Uncanny Avengers and Al Ewing's U.S Avengers) crossover (not linewide this time) to tell the story of Avengers: No Surrender, in which the Avengers teams are whisked away to a pocket dimension to take part in a competition staged by alien elders of the universe. One of these elders soon reveals that he has seemingly brought the Hulk back to fight at his side.

At this time Marvel was going through a new rebranding, this time promising a "Fresh Start". One of the titles revealed as part of the new line? Immortal Hulk, written by Al Ewing, featuring Bruce Banner back to life for good this time fresh off his appearance in No Surrender.
background.jpg

As it turns out? The Hulk cannot die. At all. If Banner dies he turns into the Hulk during the nighttime, just like he did in the very early issues. And the Hulk is different than he used to be. He is meaner and on a mission, and he will break you down.

the-avengers-vs-the-immortal-hulk-1.jpg

the-avengers-vs-the-immortal-hulk-8.jpg

So far in the series he's tangled with gamma irradiated monsters, the Avengers, shadowy government programs and forces of the universe beyond comprehension.

Immortal Hulk has shown itself to be a smart and scary rollercoaster ride of comic book insanity. Every issue is a slow burn that slowly ratchets up the tension until it hits you with a final page that will have you thinking about it for the next few hours. Al Ewing celebrates Hulk's entire history and infuses it with themes of abuse, religion, the nature of death in comic books, all with a healthy dose of body horror and eventually cosmic horror. Illustrated by Joe Bennett, some of the imagery that shows up in this comic will boggle the mind and have you asking "How did they get away with some of this stuff"?
ih8.jpg

ih13.jpg

The Hulk is a monster in a world of heroes. The Hulk is rage born from abuse thrown into a world that won't leave him alone, and now? He can't die, and he's not going to put up with puny humans anymore.

1jeo32.jpg

25qrx1.jpg

9efuLDS.jpg

4hjo4o.jpg

When I was writing this thread I considered summarizing some of the first issues, but honestly? I couldn't find a way to do it without giving away some of the series' most shocking moments. So much of its power comes from the moment to moment experience of reading it. It has to be seen to be believed.

I thought instead I'd give a quick rundown on some "Hulk facts" that I think would be useful to know before diving into the series proper that helps re contextualize some things as the series draws upon alot of the character's history

First off:

It's very important to know that Bruce Banner has Dissociative Identity Disorder which manifests itself into a variety of different Hulk personas and incarnations

The most popular include:

There's classic Savage Hulk. Green, comes out when Banner's angry. Talks in Hulk speak (HULK SMASH). Basically a child and wants to be left alone but is deeply vulnerable to affection of any kind.

There's the Grey Hulk. This was the Hulk that showed up way back in the character's first appearance. He's canonically weaker and smaller than classic green hulk but it's balanced out by being an intelligent and crafty shit talker. In the 80s he resurfaced as the "main" Hulk for awhile, becoming a bodyguard in Las Vegas by the name "Joe Fixit". It should be noted this version is nocturnal and can only appear at night instead of when Bruce is angry

Devil Hulk was/is all of Bruce's resentment towards the world made into an evil hulk that was locked away in his mind during a therapy session. Recent revelations suggest this version was not as malevolent as once thought

latest

"The Maestro" was an older, evil version of the Hulk from a possible future, where after a nuclear war he seized power and ruled over what was left

enhanced-buzz-15642-1360710546-6.jpg

Alot of this stems from the fact that Bruce was abused as a child by his father Brian, who became paranoid after working with gamma radiation and believed Bruce was a mutant monster. Brian killed Bruce's mother by slamming her head down on their driveway and was sent away to a mental institution

hulk-4a.jpg

hulk-377-5.jpg

hulk-377-4.jpg

hulk-10.jpg

hulk-9.jpg

Years later Brian was released, seemingly reformed, and the two clashed again at the site of Bruce's mother's grave, and Bruce believed that Brian had later been killed during a mugging
hulk-312-a.jpg

hulk-312-ab.jpg

hulk-312.jpg

This was later revealed to be a repressed memory: Bruce had accidentally killed his father in self defense at the gravesite

hulk-1-1.jpg

Other characters:

Betty Ross. The closest thing to Hulk's Lois Lane/Mary Jane/comic book love interest. Has been turned into a Red She Hulk and a Harpy woman by MODOK. Her father Thunderbolt is a longtime Hulk nemesis who turned himself into Red Hulk for awhile, and who was recently killed

250px-Red_She-Hulk_58.jpg
385579-26452-harpy.jpg

Rick Jones is a longtime Hulk sidekick who was around since the beginning, since Bruce saved him from being caught in the gamma bomb blast that turned Bruce into the Hulk. He's been around the Marvel U for ages until he was recently killed during Secret Empire

rick-jones-first-appearance.jpg

Doc Sampson is basically a psychiatrist who was exposed to just enough gamma radiation to gain enhanced strength. He was evil for awhile but he's cool now.

hulk193_14.jpg

Immortal Hulk is a fantastic series and if you have any interest in a damn good horror comic I would highly recommend it. If you have been reading it what have your thoughts been so far?
DEC188987.jpg

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I used to think comics were a failed medium when it came to good horror, and Immortal Hulk deftly proved that wrong in its first few issues.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't he just bond with Venom then get Venom ripped off of him by Carnage to become Ultimate Hyper Omega Final Carnage?

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Great op, Immortal Hulk is the best big two comic right now.

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't he just bond with Venom then get Venom ripped off of him by Carnage to become Ultimate Hyper Omega Final Carnage?

Yes but that doesn't really affect his book. That was for Absolute Carnage. Immortal Hulk is doing its own horrific shit every month.

thecowboypoet

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So Bruce is still dead right? During the day Hulk just becomes a corpse?? Or when you say Hulk can't die do you mean Bruce as well?

OP
OP
Sibersk Esto

Sibersk Esto

Oct 25, 2017
So Bruce is still dead right? During the day Hulk just becomes a corpse?? Or when you say Hulk can't die do you mean Bruce as well?
Bruce is alive. However if he gets killed during the daytime he stays a corpse until night, which is when he turns into Hulk and then back into Bruce, alive again, during the day.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
a horror take that incorporates the rest of the marvel universe is... fucking something. will definitely pick up the trades.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Just a minor question: doesn't Joe Fixit appear during the daytime in the series in human form? Could've sworn it was in the previous issue.

Nov 1, 2017
People hated this when it began, but their tune changed as time went on. Been loving the parts I've seen myself. It really makes the Hulk into something to be truly feared which was lacking before despite his status as you know.....a freaking monster.

OP
OP
Sibersk Esto

Sibersk Esto

Oct 25, 2017
People hated this when it began, but their tune changed as time went on. Been loving the parts I've seen myself. It really makes the Hulk into something to be truly feared which was lacking before despite his status as you know.....a freaking monster.
Really? From what I saw it was well liked from issue 1

Feb 1, 2018
Texas
One thing I've noticed is that they've drastically increased Hulk's overall power in this run. He's pulling off feats now that he's never done previously. At least, outside of World Breaker.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
This book goes from 0 to 100 in the first issue and never stops. One of those rare Marvel books I stick with for the entire run.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
a3nNwQC.png

GoUCVje.png

bpdxSMb.png

uBBgT6g.png

Immortal Hulk is pretty fucking great

I was flipping through the first hardcover and it's crazy where the book started compared to now but also how utterly compelling it's been since the beginning. with each passing issue adding to the what-the-fuckedness it's easy to lose sight that this shit hit the ground running despite the fact that we're now dealing with some absolute craziness. one of the best ongoings I've read in a while

and some absolutely amazing covers too

IGf8Uk6.png

QpVvOMz.png

fd9ckHN.png

0EbLl4L.png

pOIZNoS.png

WwLjq3f.png

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't someone just cremate the corpse?
Hulk has one of the best healing factors in Marvel and is literally immortal. I'm going to spoiler you on something. They chopped up the Hulk and put pieces of him in separate jars.

This is the end result:

Immortal-hulk-81.png

Cremation won't work.

edit: beaten by one post!

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Is there a trade collection yet? Is this meant to be ongoing for the foreseeable future or is there some expected end where it wraps up before they hand over to another team?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a trade collection yet? Is this meant to be ongoing for the foreseeable future or is there some expected end where it wraps up before they hand over to another team?

I think it was meant to end at 24 but super strong sales means it's going to keep going.

And yeah the collections are out.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
It's fantastic and one of the best ongoings. Can't wait for #25 especially after the previews, goddamn the art

RE: for horror comics, besides Ito, Dylan Dog is a must-read

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
I think it was meant to end at 24 but super strong sales means it's going to keep going.

Is 1-24 self-contained enough to be satisfying to read without continuing monthly? I enjoy reading collections but I don't have the time and energy to follow stuff weekly/bi-weekly/monthly/etc anymore. Same with TV.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Immortal Hulk is dope. One of my favorite comics right now. I'm 6 months behind because I'm reading on Unlimited, but it's fantastic. It's been forever since I read a really good horror comic book, and this has incredible horror in spades.

One of the first storylines where people have been disappearing in a small town was really cool. Really sets the tone for what to expect out of the series.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Wonderful thread, good job Sibersk Esto !

I only read Planet Hulk and World War Hulk before this, easily one of my favorite books right now.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

yeah the paperback trades are up to issue 20 with the next volume out in early december with 21-25 and the first hardcover just released and goes through issue 10

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
One of the best books at Marvel, if not in the entire industry right now, easily. Between this and Hickman's X-Men... lots of good stuff. Really looking forward to Ewing's Guardians of the Galaxy starting in January, too.

I don't think #24 was ever said to have been planned as the last issue.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is 1-24 self-contained enough to be satisfying to read without continuing monthly? I enjoy reading collections but I don't have the time and energy to follow stuff weekly/bi-weekly/monthly/etc anymore. Same with TV.

Yeah you'll be fine. Immortal Hulk is heavily arc focused so it's made for trade reading.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
The places this story does in the most recent issue are...astonishing. Like major Marvel implications.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
So Hulk is just, straight up not a hero anymore huh?

Torn with that.

It's interesting to see how this is turning out though, especially with how it's affecting other books like She Hulk, which is going through it's own brand of identity crisis right now.

Honestly, a lot of this reminds me of the The Mask comics, with Big Head slowly becoming more and more of a destruction based god fueled by dissociative anger. I'll keep reading this. Sounds like it would go well against the powers/house of x.