• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
So Hulk is just, straight up not a hero anymore huh?

Torn with that.

It's interesting to see how this is turning out though, especially with how it's affecting other books like She Hulk, which is going through it's own brand of identity crisis right now.

Honestly, a lot of this reminds me of the The Mask comics, with Big Head slowly becoming more and more of a destruction based god fueled by dissociative anger. I'll keep reading this. Sounds like it would go well against the powers/house of x.
Hulk hasn't been a straight hero for some time

Oh woops! Thought it went that another character is having a currently stellar run, too. Thanks!
Daredevil is also having an amazing run

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Torn with that.

It's interesting to see how this is turning out though, especially with how it's affecting other books like She Hulk, which is going through it's own brand of identity crisis right now.

Honestly, a lot of this reminds me of the The Mask comics, with Big Head slowly becoming more and more of a destruction based god fueled by dissociative anger. I'll keep reading this. Sounds like it would go well against the powers/house of x.

This is a new version of the Hulk, the Devil Hulk. Good ol Savage Hulk is still around in there.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Hulk hasn't been a straight hero for some time

I mean, looking at some of this stuff, it feels like you can take hero off the table.

Things were muddled after nuketown, sure. But it feels like they're straight up putting Hulk on the villains list with all this.

Some of these monologues sound straight up like The Leader. Granted, none of this is a bad thing, it's just...tough.

I suppose Cho is there to be the Hulk that everyone expects, so Bruce can do...new things.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017

Torn with that.

It's heavily implied that Immortal Hulk is the Devil Hulk persona; there's also hints that Devil Hulk is the basis for the Maestro.

But beyond that, Hulk isn't a bad guy; he's not attacking people left and right like a villain. The black ops organizations are still out to get him, the kind of villains he's fighting are still crazy as shit, it's just that Bruce and Hulk aren't taking shit anymore, Hulk especial.

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the recommendations! This Hulk one looks really intriguing, so maybe I'll start there

When you do both Venom and Daredevil had new #1s and are new reader friendly. So you are good there. Venom also has a deluxe hardcover of the first 12 issues much like Hulk

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
The ending of the latest issue is some wild shit, it seems insane the book would go there until you remember Ewing wrote The Ultimates.

OP
OP
Sibersk Esto

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, looking at some of this stuff, it feels like you can take hero off the table.

Things were muddled after nuketown, sure. But it feels like they're straight up putting Hulk on the villains list with all this.

Some of these monologues sound straight up like The Leader. Granted, none of this is a bad thing, it's just...tough.

I suppose Cho is there to be the Hulk that everyone expects, so Bruce can do...new things.
The things he faces in this series make him the lesser of two evils

There are still moments of compassion from the character, once it delves into the Hulk/Banner relationship

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I was in from the first issue. Its such a perfectly paced monster horror introduction that brings back that central Jekyll and Hyde conflict and goes to town on the monster part of the hulk.

I'm not a bad person. Am I?

1d.jpg

The first issue is free on marvel unlimited for anyone to check out.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
When you do both Venom and Daredevil had new #1s and are new reader friendly. So you are good there. Venom also has a deluxe hardcover of the first 12 issues much like Hulk

The Venom series is the one that started in 2018, right? Think I found what it looks like, at least:

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I've never really read Hulk before but dove into Immortal Hulk and have loved pretty much every issue since. Loved loved. Bennett's artwork is fucking incredible. With both HoXPoX and The Dreaming ending, I think I can pretty confidently say it's my favorite comic coming out month to month now.

I picked up the oversized hardcover with issues 1-10 a week or two ago and it's so good. SO GOOD. This is one of those runs people will be talking about for a very long time.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
No matter how much deserved praise this run gets, I still think it's very underrated compared to recent things like Hickman's HoX/PoX or even Absolute Carnage which gets many times more discussion amongst comic readers and such. It's an apple and oranges comparison, though, between those books so it's kinda moot but I'm just glad that more are taking notice of it.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
No matter how much deserved praise this run gets, I still think it's very underrated compared to recent things like Hickman's HoX/PoX or even Absolute Carnage which gets many times more discussion amongst comic readers and such. It's an apple and oranges comparison, though, between those books so it's kinda moot but I'm just glad that more are taking notice of it.

HoxPox > Immortal Hulk > Absolute Carnage/Venom

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know how the paperback / hardback versions work out?

I see a bunch of volumes in paperback format, but only one in hardback. The hardback is 248 pages, the paperbacks are 128.

Is the hardback collected differently to the paperback? Is only vol 1 of the hardback out so far?

Trying to decide which to order. Thanks!

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I see a bunch of volumes in paperback format, but only one in hardback. The hardback is 248 pages, the paperbacks are 128.

Is the hardback collected differently to the paperback? Is only vol 1 of the hardback out so far?

Hardback has 10 issues, TPB has 5.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017

Each paperback collects 5 issues (except Vol. 5 which will have only 4 because issue #25 is extra large), while the hardcover collects 10 issues + bonus material. So far there's only one volume of the hardcover out right now, but Vol. 2 is due next year. If you're just looking to just read the story, I'd recommend picking up the paper trades. The HC's are a bit over-priced IMO but they're pretty nice if you wanna have a more "focused" collection.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Hardback has 10 issues, TPB has 5.
Each paperback collects 5 issues (except Vol. 5 which will have only 4 because issue #25 is extra large), while the hardcover collects 10 issues + bonus material. So far there's only one volume of the hardcover out right now, but Vol. 2 is due next year. If you're just looking to just read the story, I'd recommend picking up the paper trades. The HC's are a bit over-priced IMO but they're pretty nice if you wanna have a more "focused" collection.
Right, I figured I'd be waiting for the HC, I just have a thing for collecting in that format. I'll think about it, thanks for the information both of you.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Great thread, thank you for this, OP. This is the best book people aren't reading. Ewing has already written a number of criminally overlooked runs, but this one is stellar.
He nailed the tone right from the first issue and never relented. I'm really curious to see what issue #25 will pull tbh.

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
It's so good that it's probably the new definitive run for the character. Elements of this will bleed into future runs and crossovers and team ups for a decade, and deservedly so.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
One of the few books I'm picking up monthly, this run is godly. Marvel is doing some really amazing stuff right now but Hulk is probably the best out of them.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The digital trades were recently on sale too for 3 bucks each! I was planning on picking them up and forgot while waiting for payday. I've been kicking myself.
I feel like they're on sale every month or so. I'm bookmarking this thread to bump it during the next sale tbh.
No one should sleep on this.

Oct 27, 2017
It's literally the only series from Marvel that I love and follow every issue. Marvel just doesn't do it for me, but Immortal Hulk has been a monumental series.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
So you mean to tell me that in the space of less than a year they resurrected him 3 times?

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Easily my favorite Marvel Comic with Hickman's X-Men and Cates' Venom behind it. Aaron's Avengers is pretty good too. Was excited for Absolute Carnage, because Castes + horror event was promising, but it quickly turned into a shitshow after issue one. The Separation Anxiety issue and Web of lead-ups were pretty good tho. And the Immortal Hulk tie-in, written by Ewing. But that was squandered in Absolute 4.

Issue 25, from the previews, looks to be a-ma-zing. Ewing says it's the best comic he's ever written.

Anyway, the trades are super cheap on Amazon, so buy buy buy.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017

He's more... like a ghost rider... or something like that. Not full villain

Is this hulk the demon hulk banner was trying to keep locked away inside himself?
yes

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
Also, if you people pick it up in trade form, it will include a little prologue for the series from when he came back in Avengers No Surrender.
If you're just reading the standalone issues, I recommend reading the first couple pages of Avengers #684.

back.jpg

OP
OP
Sibersk Esto

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
For anyone who has played the stellar Hulk:Ultimate Destruction on the PS2 and GameCube, Devil Hulk shows up in that as a boss

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I'm waiting for it to wrap up. I haven't been keeping up lately so I have no idea how long this run is supposed to last.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
A few Alpha Flight favorites show up too, enjoyed seeing them. The first two trades are great.