• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Sibersk Esto

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus... did he just... absorb him?
Yeah!
F6OfGjZ_d.jpg

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorite comics along with Hickman's X books. Just an amazing roller-coaster ride of a series. Last months issue ending was amazing.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Great OP. đź‘Ť

I'm jumping in here late, but I honestly don't know how you follow Ewing's run.

lasthope106

Oct 25, 2017
Iowa USA
One of my favorite comics ever. Got on board at around issue 14 and it's been a blast ever since. Even got a #1 graded because of how awesome this run has been.

And it still blows my mind that it has kept up the quality being this high up to now.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
It's been great. Been a long time since I enjoyed something from the big two, let alone stuck with it as long as I have stuck with this.

But I have so many questions about the end of last issue. Did this Hulk just go on a cosmic eating spree?![
Also, is he supposed to be the meistro? Can't tell if that's a red herring or not.

That is fucked up. That's honestly the kind of body horror that legit makes me scared haha.

There were a lot of scenes that made it clear that this Hulk is different, but that one cemented it for me. He's far more wicked and vengeful than any other Hulk, with the intelligence to make you think twice before crossing him.

Dbltap

Oct 31, 2017
Woodinville, WA
Thanks OP. I just ordered the first Hardback edition. Thank you for making this thread. I would have never known about this. I also preordered the Venom Hardback edition also.

Chorazin

Nov 13, 2017
Lancaster County, PA, USA
Immortal Hulk is absolutely fantastic. I never imagined the Hulk as a horror character, but wow, they have nailed it so far with this series.

the Immortal Hulk: Absolute Carnage tie-in that just came out was freaking dope too, with all the split Hulks arguing about:

allowing a merger with the Venom symbiote, culminating with a resounding WE ARE HULK once the 2-1 (with one abstention) vote passes.

Coyote Zamora

alt account
Banned
Jul 19, 2019
Great OP but you forgot to mention one other thing that Banner has had in his past that has affected the Hulk; Failed relationships with other women like Jarella.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, is there a bigger waste of potential than Hulk's role in AbCarn? I love Cates and I've been on board with pretty much everything he's done, but that was grossly underwhelming.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
OP, I downloaded the first TPB from ComiXology since it's part of Unlimited. If I get hooked, this is your fault

Chorazin

Nov 13, 2017
Lancaster County, PA, USA
Seriously, is there a bigger waste of potential than Hulk's role in AbCarn? I love Cates and I've been on board with pretty much everything he's done, but that was grossly underwhelming.

Of course he was going to
job to Carnage like a punk
because this is all about Venom/Eddie coming to terms with the monster he created, so it's gotta be him.

But the dialog in his tie in? Fuckin' dope as hell.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Loving this, after Spidey Hulk is my favorite with the right writer (cap takes that place during hulks downtime) and follow it by issue.

Hulk is always best as horror or off planet, if you think he was ever a hero you have not been paying attention, and focusing on superhero shit always kills a good hulk run/storyline.

Case in point, I have t been this excited for hulk and it hasn't had this horror tone since the early days of Bruce Jones run, and that run was phenomenal right up until the Absorbing Man arc and once it became a part of greater Marvel and Hero's/Villians it shit the bed.

It also is one of the reason's I like Ewing so much, one of my greatest regrets as a reader is that secret wars killed his Loki agent of Asgard series, never got a satisfying conclusion there.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Excellent OP. I more or less completely stopped reading comics after Civil War II, in part because I did not like the direction of what was happening with the Hulk here.

But it sounds like they've finally given the big guy his groove back and I'm definitely down to read that.

There were a lot of scenes that made it clear that this Hulk is different, but that one cemented it for me. He's far more wicked and vengeful than any other Hulk, with the intelligence to make you think twice before crossing him.

It sounds a little like the Banner-separated 'Gravage' Hulk that remained on earth when the Heroes Reborn saga was going on. You know, the incarnation that fought the Thunderbolts when they first appeared, and he straight up breaks a dam simply to distract them. And then issues later he basically holds hostage a small Florida town and prevents anyone from getting in and leaving, even in a hurricane.

That too was one of my favorite runs mainly because I like my Hulk who has the edge to him, but is still somewhat heroic or just does the right thing, begrudgingly. So this sounds like up my alley, especially because like Hulk the greater Marvel universe tends to piss me off.

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been thinking about getting back into Marvel again after burning myself out in the lead up to Secret Wars. I'll keep an eye on this thread for when the next Comixology sale comes up, I'd be down to pick up some cheap digital trades.

What other books are recommended nowadays? I've seen in here Venom and Daredevil are good, also real into the X-Men and Guardians/Nova from the Annihilation days.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
AM I READING IT? I've been reading since day 1. I bought every issue and even recently the 1st volume. This series is my FAVORITE, #1 FAVORITE Marvel book out there. I say this as someone who mostly reads Spider-Man books. I love where everything is going with this. I just hope Kevin Feige won't touch it or affect it.

I have a crush or Harpy Betty. It's a very conflicting feeling.

Deleted member 17952

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That was really neat. When does #25 come out?

I wouldn't classify it as horror though. Last Hulk comic I read was World War Hulk, and I think that one's still better than Immortal Hulk.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Hulk has one of the best healing factors in Marvel and is literally immortal. I'm going to spoiler you on something. They chopped up the Hulk and put pieces of him in separate jars.

This is the end result:

Immortal-hulk-81.png

Cremation won't work.

edit: beaten by one post!

Dunno why they wouldn't just do this but ship the separate pieces to the ends of the universe or encase them in adamantium or some other similar metal/substance.

Of course they may have tried this too, I'm not a regular comics reader.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Dunno why they wouldn't just do this but ship the separate pieces to the ends of the universe or encase them in adamantium or some other similar metal/substance.

Hubris. They want his power, but they can't control the Hulk. They think they can contain him for research. They're trying to figure out how to access the power.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Got to Betty.

I won't lie, I stopped reading Hulks because it got too corny.

Man they REALLY fucked up Betty huh?

I've heard great things about this series. Is the Hulk basically a villain now though?

It's less that he's a villain and more that, at least for now, it's a reasoning to allow the Hulk to kill.

It feels a lot like Legion thus far.

People who think they are very smart, are often very stupid.

I feel like that's a cornerstone of the Hulk comics in general.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Man did that chap people's ass

As well as this
HULK-2.jpg

HULK.jpg
Lol I wasn't even surprised about that because of course

White privilege aside I do love a normal person being jealous that super heroes like Hulk being allowed to make a billion mistakes even when they ruined people lives but they don't get properly punished

Also I love Joe

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
He doesn't get the attention, although thankfully he's getting some now because of Hulk, but Ewing is the best writer Marvel has.
i fell of comics recently but I loved al Ewing since his Loki run. Mighty Avengers and especially Ultimates we're so good and so robbed. I'll have to catch up on this. Any other new ewing works I gotta check out?

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
i fell of comics recently but I loved al Ewing since his Loki run. Mighty Avengers and especially Ultimates we're so good and so robbed. I'll have to catch up on this. Any other new ewing works I gotta check out?

His Defenders: Best Defense mini-event with Chip Zdarsky, Gerry Duggan, and Jason Latour is great. It features Immortal Hulk, so you may want to check a reading order to see where it fits in. I think it's around issue four or five of Immortal Hulk. It's not consequential to the IH story, but it's good fun. His New Avengers and USAvengers runs, after Mighty Avengers, are fantastic, and his Avengers events with Mark Waid and Jim Zub, called "No Surrender" and "No Road Home," are up there with Busiek's Avengers Forever as the best Avengers-centric events in Marvel history.

Otherist

Oct 27, 2017
England
I was so-so on the earliest issues with Hulk monologuing and stuff but I'm SO glad I stuck with it, it's an absolutely terrific run and it looks like it's about to soar to even greater heights. Gorgeous artwork and a truly compelling, mind-boggling reimagination of everything Hulkian. Can't recommend it enough, it's the only ongoing comic I get excited about new issues of.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
I think everyone who is into comics is reading it but it's been cool to see it reach a bit outside of the bubble as well. It's that good

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
He doesn't get the attention, although thankfully he's getting some now because of Hulk, but Ewing is the best writer Marvel has.
I agree, been following since his Loki run, in fact as I said in my previous post it's one of the few things I didn't like about Hickman's secret wars is it caused that run to end abruptly with no resolution to one of the best modern imaginings of Loki, not just in comics and I say this as someone who tends to follow characters from Norse and Celtic mythology across all mediums.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
His Defenders: Best Defense mini-event with Chip Zdarsky, Gerry Duggan, and Jason Latour is great. It features Immortal Hulk, so you may want to check a reading order to see where it fits in. I think it's around issue four or five of Immortal Hulk. It's not consequential to the IH story, but it's good fun. His New Avengers and USAvengers runs, after Mighty Avengers, are fantastic, and his Avengers events with Mark Waid and Jim Zub, called "No Surrender" and "No Road Home," are up there with Busiek's Avengers Forever as the best Avengers-centric events in Marvel history.

ah shit they finally gave him an event series. A long time coming IMO. Looks like I'll be saving up and getting some trades. I know Donny Coates is putting out great stuff too recently