• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
i fell of comics recently but I loved al Ewing since his Loki run. Mighty Avengers and especially Ultimates we're so good and so robbed. I'll have to catch up on this. Any other new ewing works I gotta check out?
Everyone sleeps on his Rocket mini. Don't sleep on his Rocket mini. It is fucking fantastic and very clever.
Pulp, gritty heist stories with lots of prose but also lots of comedy.

Rocket: The Blue River Score

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
I saw this thread the other day and it reminded me to finally give this series a go. It was not the first time I had seen it receive praise. Had some time last night and tonight so I just finished the first trade. Definitely enjoyed it, but I do have to ask, does the horror aspect really ramp up after the first 5 issues? Because so far I'm not getting all that much of a horror vibe from the series.

Again, I do think it's very good, definitely better than the majority of Marvel titles. I'm just not really feeling it is very what I consider horror at all yet and that is one of the primary reasons I am giving it a read. As it stands I would say Sliver Surfer Black is more of a horror title than it is. The whole existential dread thing and all of that.

Some current / Semi recent horror titles to provide some perspective as to what I consider a horror comic so anyone who may be kind enough to reply is on the same page...
  • Gideon Falls (image)
  • Evolution (image)
  • Coffin Bound (image)
  • Faithless (Boom!)
  • Ice Cream Man (image)
  • Black Monday Murders (image)
  • You Are Obsolete (Aftershock)
As you can see if you read any of the above comics, that is a fairly varied list. But I do consider all of those titles horror in some shape, form or fashion. So just wondering if the Immortal Hulk eventually kicks into gear with the horror side of things or have I experienced all it has to offer in that regard? Is it simply just the horror aspect is the fact he cannot die and turns into "the monster" at night? That's fine if that is the case, just want to keep my expectations in check.

Ultimately I am hoping someone will reply and say I have not even gotten to any horror yet. As I have very much enjoyed what I have read so far.

TIA,
DL

OP
OP
Sibersk Esto

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
I saw this thread the other day and it reminded me to finally give this series a go. It was not the first time I had seen it receive praise. Had some time last night and tonight so I just finished the first trade. Definitely enjoyed it, but I do have to ask, does the horror aspect really ramp up after the first 5 issues? Because so far I'm not getting all that much of a horror vibe from the series.
Oh yes it certainly ramps up. Although if I could compare it to something I would probably say Jacob's Ladder or a Cronenberg film where the horror comes from the nature of what you're looking at than say, a deliberate fright.

Last edited:

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Issue 25... This comic is fucking incredible, a whole other level of comic booking.

giphy.gif
ç

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yes it certainly ramps up. Although if I could compare it to something I would probably say Jacob's Ladder or a Cronenberg film where the horror comes from the nature of what you're looking at than say, a deliberate fright.
Kick ass thank you. I love what you mentioned so if that is where it goes, I am all for that.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
what are you nerds doing in here? Reading nerd books nerdly?

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks to this thread, I read the first 20 issues on the last couple of days, and today I will be up to date.

Goddamn... what a ride.
This will be remembered as a classic down the line.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
i read what was on comixology and it was good but i don't want to buy physical copies or piecemeal it month by month so i'll see you all in a few years

Deleted member 60582

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
I read the first issue when it hit, but kind of forgot about it because I gave up on comics a while ago. This thread reminded me of it, and I bought and read up to and including #25 over the course of the past two days...what a fucking ride. Easily the best series I've read in years, and the body horror is top notch. Hulk vs. Absorbing Man had quite a few HOLY SHIT moments.

Charsace

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Read the first 2 chapters and they were damn good. I like that Hulk is a force of nature and human darkness all in one.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Immortal Hulk is the first book since... I think probably Hickman's Avengers where I find myself with a huge smile on my face reading through. Like, open-mouthed, just excited at what's happening, at how far Ewing is pushing things. Lore-wise, content-wise, character-wise. It's a book that hits all the notes. And god, Bennett's art is such a perfect fit. A few of my favorite moments - I'll leave them in spoilers.

"She Was Twelve" (Issue #1) - This spread is when I knew this was going to be something special. The sheer scale of it, the immediate feeling you get when you turn the page and have that face waiting for you. Chills!
i6I34CA.jpg

"The Brutal, Bestial Mockery of a Human" (The Best Defense) - The whole Best Defense crossover isn't Immortal Hulk proper, but Ewing is probably the main writer and mastermind, and it dovetails very nicely with the main book. It's just good stuff in general and I highly recommend it. In particular, the solo issue integrates old Hulk panels into the book, recontextualizing them, and the effect is very cool.
YlQYG5d.jpg

"An Open Wound in the Shape of a Man" (Issue #14) - Cheating, this one is two pages. But it's possibly my favorite issue of the run so far, just the way it recontextualizes Bruce and Betty's relationship. How it turns the dichotomy between Hulk and Banner from Hyde and Jekyll to something more sinister, reframing the gentle, "milksop" Bruce into just as toxic a personality as the others.
g8aQxjO.jpg

zhgk3nx.jpg

"It's Joe" (Issue #16) - This probably wasn't as big a deal for people who aren't super into Hulk lore... but man, seeing those eyes, and that title page, the whole story is just completely upended.
1vQV1DU.jpg

"This Is Me" (Issue #19) - Another cheat, but I think you need both to really capture it all. Seeing "Savage Hulk" disturbingly vulnerable, the strange, otherworldliness of Harpy's design, the obvious body horror stuff. Red Harpy in general is probably my favorite addition to the cast... building on the aforementioned fresh look at her and Bruce.
4I7MexV.jpg

yNhyvWp.jpg

And there's a ton of others, this is just like... a top five. Seeing Brian Banner terrorizing his family, Puck's monologue about leading an interesting life, the body horror with Absorbing Man and the new Abomination, Hulk at the end of the universe... I can't wait to see where it goes from here.

OP
OP
Sibersk Esto

Sibersk Esto

Oct 25, 2017
Immortal Hulk is the first book since... I think probably Hickman's Avengers where I find myself with a huge smile on my face reading through. Like, open-mouthed, just excited at what's happening, at how far Ewing is pushing things. Lore-wise, content-wise, character-wise. It's a book that hits all the notes. And god, Bennett's art is such a perfect fit. A few of my favorite moments - I'll leave them in spoilers.

"She Was Twelve" (Issue #1) - This spread is when I knew this was going to be something special. The sheer scale of it, the immediate feeling you get when you turn the page and have that face waiting for you. Chills!
i6I34CA.jpg

"The Brutal, Bestial Mockery of a Human" (The Best Defense) - The whole Best Defense crossover isn't Immortal Hulk proper, but Ewing is probably the main writer and mastermind, and it dovetails very nicely with the main book. It's just good stuff in general and I highly recommend it. In particular, the solo issue integrates old Hulk panels into the book, recontextualizing them, and the effect is very cool.
YlQYG5d.jpg

"An Open Wound in the Shape of a Man" (Issue #14) - Cheating, this one is two pages. But it's possibly my favorite issue of the run so far, just the way it recontextualizes Bruce and Betty's relationship. How it turns the dichotomy between Hulk and Banner from Hyde and Jekyll to something more sinister, reframing the gentle, "milksop" Bruce into just as toxic a personality as the others.
g8aQxjO.jpg

zhgk3nx.jpg

"It's Joe" (Issue #16) - This probably wasn't as big a deal for people who aren't super into Hulk lore... but man, seeing those eyes, and that title page, the whole story is just completely upended.
1vQV1DU.jpg

"This Is Me" (Issue #19) - Another cheat, but I think you need both to really capture it all. Seeing "Savage Hulk" disturbingly vulnerable, the strange, otherworldliness of Harpy's design, the obvious body horror stuff. Red Harpy in general is probably my favorite addition to the cast... building on the aforementioned fresh look at her and Bruce.
4I7MexV.jpg

yNhyvWp.jpg

And there's a ton of others, this is just like... a top five. Seeing Brian Banner terrorizing his family, Puck's monologue about leading an interesting life, the body horror with Absorbing Man and the new Abomination, Hulk at the end of the universe... I can't wait to see where it goes from here.
Hard to argue with any of these

I would also throw in "Hulk hurts, all the time"

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
one of my personal favorites is the last 5 pages of issue 10. I love the paneling.

"We're where we've always been. Where everybody's always been."

unknown.png

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017

i6I34CA.jpg

YlQYG5d.jpg

g8aQxjO.jpg

zhgk3nx.jpg

1vQV1DU.jpg

4I7MexV.jpg

yNhyvWp.jpg

I think I don't know Hulk lore well enough to get the most out of it, but I am reading it.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the first volume was pretty good. The horror angle is the perfect framing for this character, and I'm really excited to see where this goes.

I don't think any of the stories in Vol 1 were particularly engaging, but I did like the time and enough moments to convince me to keep going.

Shaun Solo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this whole run has been tremendous. The hardcover was tempting but I think I'm gonna wait for the inevitable omnibus once it's all done.

4I7MexV.jpg

yNhyvWp.jpg

Those pages from #19 are up there for me as my favorite so far. Just completely horrifying.

And it must be an homage to Saturn Devouring His Son right?

300px-Francisco_de_Goya%2C_Saturno_devorando_a_su_hijo_%281819-1823%29.jpg

Otherist

Oct 27, 2017
England
Thirding that "this is me" sequence as a favourite. Artwork, layout, writing, just smashing it on all fronts.
Also pretty much whenever the words "it's Joe" appear.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Do you guys associate characters with certain types of voices? Like Savage Hulk having the typical Hulk voice from one of the cartoons due to his childish mentality, Devil Hulk having a slightly deeper yet intimidating voice, Joe with a cocky voice, and Bruce just sounding generally exasperated? At least for me that's how I read them in my head.

Cosmonaut X

Oct 26, 2017
Been reading Ewing's work since he was making his own disco dancing Rogue Trooper minicomics to sell at UK comic conventions, and through his run at 2000AD. Man is a lovely, bonkers genius and it's great to see his writing appreciated.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Been reading Ewing's work since he was making his own disco dancing Rogue Trooper minicomics to sell at UK comic conventions, and through his run at 2000AD. Man is a lovely, bonkers genius and it's great to see his writing appreciated.
His Ultimates run was fantastic. Probably my favourite post-Secret Wars marvel book.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
These couple of pages were something in the latest issue.

48964649171_a59d6b6d9c_o.jpg

48964095718_1e7846c5f6_o.jpg

i think the fact that it was mostly prose and very far removed from what we typically see can throw people off, but I'm pretty clear on what happened

So devil Hulk just devoured the other Hulk and realized their dream of being truly alone but on a cosmic scale? Wonder why and how the Leader was the one who got the message.

OP
OP
Sibersk Esto

Sibersk Esto

Oct 25, 2017

So devil Hulk just devoured the other Hulk and realized their dream of being truly alone but on a cosmic scale? Wonder why and how the Leader was the one who got the message.
Well the one before all did. And I assume we'll see how the leader found the capsule later

Last edited:

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Just read #1. Have the Marvel Unlimited app since I was subscribed before. The first issue was actually one of the free comics you can read and it was fantastic.
Only other hulk comic I can remember reading was Planet Hulk so it felt nice.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Immortal Hulk is legitimately one of the best comics has ever published. It honestly amazes me Marvel has let Ewing go 25 issues without some stupid crossover or event affecting the book (yeah I know there was that Carnage thing, but it was a one shot).

Porl

Nov 6, 2017

No, not Devil Hulk, but The One Below All. The green cloud from the hell arc. The one who used Bruce's dad as a host. The one who took hold of Sasquatch. The one who infected Absorbing Man and opened the Green Door. The one who made the girl in #3 die. That One.

Some time between the current time and the end of the universe he got inside Banner and killed all his different personalities, using the hulk as his shell. Then the end of #24 happens, then #25 after that.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Wish they would do a "premium" or "elite" bundle or whatever where MU is included with D+/Hulu/ESPN+. I would subscribe to MU forever as an add value, but 10 bucks a month is steep as I'm not a hardcore comic reader.
Funny that. While I am a hardcore reader so I do stay subscribed as someone who gets it monthly and Hulu, I was just saying to someone today (since I am getting, in fact have pre-ordered Disney+) that I wish I could get that as a bundle.

As it is their current bundle is useless to me as it has ESPN and even without it costing more I still would rather not support ESPN or boost its subscription. Wish I could switch it out for unlimited even if it cost me more than what that bundle is I would be willing to pay, if for no reason other than to have the payment combined.

As for keeping unlimited it's worth it for me, not only is it how I follow current stuff even if it's six months behind (right now Immortal Hulk is up to the issue where you find out Joe is back but in Banners body- and for the person who asked about voices as someone who loves the Joe Fixit era I picture him sounding like a used car salesman with a Vegas accent) but I also am really big on reading older comics, especially since my favorite era of Marvel is the 70's, especially anything by Starlin or Gerber.

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit at the last issue.
Do you guys associate characters with certain types of voices? Like Savage Hulk having the typical Hulk voice from one of the cartoons due to his childish mentality, Devil Hulk having a slightly deeper yet intimidating voice, Joe with a cocky voice, and Bruce just sounding generally exasperated? At least for me that's how I read them in my head.
Absolutely. That's pretty much how they sound in my head lol.