• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Outtrigger888

Oct 27, 2017
I never thought I'd amount to anything (dropped out of high school and got a GED) now I manage 40 people that drain the life out of me. I'm 30 and have to talk to people that are 30 years older than me about their behavior at work. Not my dream Job per say but I make more money than I thought I would and enjoy it for the most part.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nov 16, 2017
I am rich compared to the total population probably for my age range, but I don't feel rich. I feel well off. I don't worry about money much besides how to get more of it. I am single, make comfortable 6 figures.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
Or get promised stock that never pays and used to hold your wage back, while carrying a workload that far exceeds your pay. Then try to move on and have a company question your position given your level of experience.

It goes both ways. The pay at larger companies can be far better long term, even if your trajectory isn't as rapid in terms of position changes in name only. For every startup that succeeds there are many more that fail, torpedoing your stock with it. The great thing about startups is usually your hours and conditions can be far more flexible than at a big company. Working remotely or going over a couple days on vacation usually isn't a problem.

Agreed that unless you're one of the first 5 or 10 employees at a company don't expect to cash out some huge pile of options. At least in IT most people seem to accept that starting in a smaller shop and then moving up is a natural progression. I haven't heard of many people getting stuck in start-ups, like you say they just prefer thee environment. Maybe its different at the corporate headquarters but most people I've know at larger places have to move outside the company or they get capped at a fairly low level.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I wouldn't say being a staff accountant training to be a cpa is my dream job, but even at the entry level if affords me financial opportunities I wouldn't have otherwise. Will be doing a lot better in 2-3 years once I get some raises/promote and pay off my student loans.

How did I do it? Went back to school after taking several years off and applied the fuck out of myself. Gave up a lot of things that were important to me to make it happen.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Only if dog can do tricks.
giphy.gif

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
This thread needs a response from a certain opulent member..

He isn't rich by a long shot. Last time he bragged, he made 100-something thousand in Canadian dollars, and relied on non-guaranteed bonuses to get to 200. This is in Vancouver, where cost of living is massive as well.

I think his dad pays all of his bills and buys him things, so that's why he's able to do rich-people stuff. Maybe that technically does make him rich?

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am getting tantalizingly close to my dream job in academia - becoming a Principal Investigator and Tenure Track Faculty. Though it would also mean a pay increase that is the least important aspect.

Oct 30, 2017
My net worth is about $12 million right now. I moved to Japan twenty years ago, was a big consulting firm lawyer and partner until retiring last year at 40. Made regular six figures until my annual salary crossed $600,000 back around 2014. Also have a pension that I didn't fully vest into due to retiring at my age but will still pay me $70,000 annually for life. When my crypto exploded and I cashed out over $2 mil cash, I said that's enough of salaryman life for me and retired. At this point my money will just exponentially increase at a rate I'm comfortable with for my kids an their kids.

Outside of the crypto thing when I was middle-aged, there was no get rich quick scheme or shortcut. I worked 80-100 hour weeks for nearly 20 years.

Tabris has never been near my wealth and I used to troll him on gaf as well lol.

Where did you receive your law degree?

WhiskerFrisker

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
My net worth is about $12 million right now. I moved to Japan twenty years ago, was a big consulting firm lawyer and partner until retiring last year at 40. Made regular six figures until my annual salary crossed $600,000 back around 2014. Also have a pension that I didn't fully vest into due to retiring at my age but will still pay me $70,000 annually for life. When my crypto exploded and I cashed out over $2 mil cash, I said that's enough of salaryman life for me and retired. At this point my money will just exponentially increase at a rate I'm comfortable with for my kids an their kids.

Outside of the crypto thing when I was middle-aged, there was no get rich quick scheme or shortcut. I worked 80-100 hour weeks for nearly 20 years.

Tabris has never been near my wealth and I used to troll him on gaf as well lol.
Wanna buy me some sneakers?

I'm not rich at all. I work a low level job at a restaurant while going to school. I also don't have a clue what my dream job would be. I'm a history major but I don't know what would be best for me.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
How much did you start with it, and how much of it do you think is luck?
I worked a low-end job, played some poker on the side, my initial bankroll was $10k after saving up.

I'd say if you have a solid understand of poker and poker theory you can do well long term. Luck is defined in the moment, not long term.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Hm, I mean do you think that's something anyone can naturally do or do you think you just found a knack for it? Did you ever go through a big loss.
Gotta learn it overall, some have a knack, I suppose.

I played a $50/$100 game 2 weeks ago and lost $30k. Not my biggest loss but more recent.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
I'm not rich, but I'm in a very comfortable place and I have indeed landed my dream job. Just this year I got my teaching license in Japan and landed a permanent position at a somewhat prestigious Girls' JHS/SHS that's about 15 minutes from my apartment. It was really hard for me to get a permanent job because most place only offer contracts. I fought really hard for this so I'm pretty happy about it.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
I landed my dream job a week after my wife landed hers.

We worked together to craft a five year plan to move to an area we love in jobs that we would love.

After a ton of sacrifice (having to live in the dumpster fire that is New Jersey and not having days off together) we pulled it off. She finished her doctorate, I finished a master's degree and we kept pushing each other to excel.

Now we are making over four times what we were when we started this plan.

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
I never thought I'd amount to anything (dropped out of high school and got a GED) now I manage 40 people that drain the life out of me. I'm 30 and have to talk to people that are 30 years older than me about their behavior at work. Not my dream Job per say but I make more money than I thought I would and enjoy it for the most part.
Did you go back to school or just a GED?

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He isn't rich by a long shot. Last time he bragged, he made 100-something thousand in Canadian dollars, and relied on non-guaranteed bonuses to get to 200. This is in Vancouver, where cost of living is massive as well.

I think his dad pays all of his bills and buys him things, so that's why he's able to do rich-people stuff. Maybe that technically does make him rich?

Agreed. Based on what I've seen from his threads, he's "rich" because he isn't saving anything and blowing it all.

Hadn't seen the dad aspect, but that adds something else.

I'm doing alright with my career and so is my wife. That being said, we plan on having children (how many remains to be seen), so that changes things. If we have 0, we'd be doing fantastic, if we have 3, not so much. We will see.

Also, we are putting away for retirement each year. If we weren't putting away for retirement and planned on having no kids, we'd be doing amazing. But that wouldn't be satisfying for us at all.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
I make 6 figures.
No college degree
Barely graduated high school

Showed up worked hard everyday at the same shitty job for 10 years.

Finally changed companies to take care of my family. Got promoted within 8 months now bringing home the bacon.

Already thinking about the next move up.

My success has always come from the core belief that the people around me were great at ideas and I was the person to help make them better.

Just my experience OP good luck on your journey.

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
Money is strange. I am 40 and single. My salary has gone from about my $32k to $110k. but it took 20 years [edit and luckily i've very rarely had to work more than 38 hours a week to do it). Over that time i paid off $20k in student loans, bought a small $175k house, and helped out friends and family (for around $25k).

In the same time frame, I've managed to set aside about $185k in savings.

I'd say i'm rich but most people would look at my life and not see it. I don't have a car, and I don't have a big home in a fancy neighbourhood. My clothes don't look fancy either, but they are probably more expensive than you'd think.

I don't work my "dream" job. I never had a dream job to aspire to. My main goal in life was to never have to worry about money and i think I've accomplished that. Having accomplished that I wonder if i can keep doing the job i'm doing or if I should try to find something else.

If anything, money at least gives you options.

hashtagrekt

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This made me laugh lol.

Those are some insane figures

Figures are fine but have zero issue admitting from 23-39, even with a family, my worked owned me. I got to travel the world for business and wine and dine and all that jazz, but in the end, would a 9-5 been better for my physical and mental health? Probably.

I can say I've escaped monetary stress, but I probably escaped that by the time I was 29. So even pulling the trigger and saying fuck everything at 40 was a tough call because your identity becomes the rat race.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Nah, I went Assistant Store Manager at GameStop living paycheck-to-paycheck a few years ago to a full-time state job that pays nearly twice as much as my old GameStop wages and provides paid time off -- the first job I've ever had in my life that provided PTO. I've been in this job for a little over 3 years, 2 years out of training. My rent takes up about 45% of my paycheck each month (I get paid once at the end of the month), I give about another 15% to student loans, and another 15% to various other bills (internet, utilities, etc).

I was lucky for a while, I had to move cities to take this job, it left me dead broke, and a close friend of mine let me live in his house for my first year and a half on the job with only 10% of my paycheck going to rent.

Now I live alone, which I like a lot aside from the cost. It's been ages since I had my own space, I'd been floating through my twenties just kind of living in tiny bedrooms that I was able to rent out from friends, and the whole of my possessions fit into single bedrooms. It was a very dorm-style mode of living for almost a decade. I also never really had access to a kitchen so I rarely cooked -- spent most of my twenties getting by on one-meal-a-day value menu shit. Being able to cook for the first time in nearly 10 years has been nice -- I enjoy it a lot, even if the stuff I practice with is super basic.

So yeah, on the whole, not rich... But glad to have gotten into a job that isn't exactly leaving me living paycheck-to-paycheck, even if it's just barely.

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not rich, pretty poor. I think I've given up hope of ever making real money unless I get lucky with the lotto, there's no real money in the things I want to do, or am qualified to do, so I'm just on the low end of things. But that's life, I guess.

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
Figures are fine but have zero issue admitting from 23-39, even with a family, my worked owned me. I got to travel the world for business and wine and dine and all that jazz, but in the end, would a 9-5 been better for my physical and mental health? Probably.

I can say I've escaped monetary stress, but I probably escaped that by the time I was 29. So even pulling the trigger and saying fuck everything at 40 was a tough call because your identity becomes the rat race.

I can imagine how tough it would be. I'm 40 now and, while I can't quite retire with my relatively small savings, i can easily take a less demanding job. But, without realizing it, my identity and self esteem have become wrapped up in my responsibilities at work. I'm not quite sure how that happened.

I have to imagine that for you this was much tougher. Leaving that life behind must have been a hard decision.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

Yeh that's fair enough. There is usually a sacrifice somewhere along the line for most people.

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

So can you go into detail about what you did? I see consulting thrown around a lot, but I've never been sure exactly what that means. You must have been consulting in some very high class areas I assume making this kind of money.

hashtagrekt

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So can you go into detail about what you did? I see consulting thrown around a lot, but I've never been sure exactly what that means. You must have been consulting in some very high class areas I assume making this kind of money.

All of that info is already here and on gaf, but honestly I don't feel like posting much about that stuff anymore because people tear me to shreds for it.

In regards to consulting, think of it like this. There are giant boutique firms with tons of service lines. The ones I worked in had other firms come and basically say, I want to buy a business in xx country, what are the implications. Even if the deal never goes through, firms pay tens and hundreds of dollars on nothing but high level feasibility reports from subject matter experts like me. Also, in Asia especially, departments are allotted budgets which if they don't spend they get reduced. So a lot of firms blow a lot of money getting profession advisosry services done yearly just to make sure their budget isn't reduced.

In short, it's an endless cycle of humans wasting wealth to create wealth.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All of that info is already here and on gaf, but honestly I don't feel like posting much about that stuff anymore because people tear me to shreds for it.

In regards to consulting, think of it like this. There are giant boutique firms with tons of service lines. The ones I worked in had other firms come and basically say, I want to buy a business in xx country, what are the implications. Even if the deal never goes through, firms pay tens and hundreds of dollars on nothing but high level feasibility reports from subject matter experts like me. Also, in Asia especially, departments are allotted budgets which if they don't spend they get reduced. So a lot of firms blow a lot of money getting profession advisosry services done yearly just to make sure their budget isn't reduced.

The Human Condition really.

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Okay, though I have no idea what this means.

Ah, I think I understand kind of, but if you don't want to talk about it further I get it. Sounds like it'd be a hard thing to get into.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I've dabbled in this stuff before but usually don't go beyond the online stuff. Any suggestions for materials to read/videos to watch?
Doug Polk does some tutorial stuff. Can find his stuff on YouTube.

I never really read the books, I think I've read Doyle Brunson's book or whatever, I learned more playing or watching others online. Twitch or YouTube tend to have live streamers play daily. 2+2 forums is also a good resource.

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
I'm not rich but i do pretty good, i just got lucky and landed on my current career almost by luck, i did have the skills required to get going but i was not looking to work on my current field.

I'm a photographer/videographer and i do commercial work as well as weddings and i fucking love it, i can work 7 days a week and enjoy every minute of it.

I guess my advicd would be to do whar you like even on the side and don't give up, work hard, take risks and be professional, every job is important no matter how small.

hashtagrekt

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
let me borrow a dollar

I couldn't even if I wanted to. I wince at even paying real money for blizz products. I'd rather farm gold in WoW and get it for "free" with a bent token than use real money. Even though technically when I was working one hour of time could buy a year of wow sub. It's a sickness.