• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aomber

Oct 25, 2017
Beantown
The snow is here for some of us so let's talk about downhill sports! Heading out to a local mountain tomorrow in my state, just an hour and a half away, nothing fancy but wanna get my first run in. Getting ready to head out to Utah some time in the next couple months too :D SO ready for it.

GTJbe3q.jpg

Dahellisdat

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely. Trying to get a trip together to go out to Breckenridge in January or February and have plans to go out again in March.

OP
OP
Aomber

Aomber

Oct 25, 2017
Beantown
Definitely. Trying to get a trip together to go out to Breckenridge in January or February and have plans to go out again in March.
Assuming you've been there before, how's the town/apres-ski there? I've heard great things about the mountain but curious about that part, it looks really nice, thinking about checking it out some time

krioto

Oct 27, 2017
I'm heading to Niseko in 3 weeks - can't wait. Was excellent last year and with 2 new lifts this year should be even better.

Dahellisdat

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The town is great! Tons of places to go out to eat or drink. They have free buses to take you between the base ski areas and the town...think it goes to Frisco too. There's the Breck brewery there and another one I've taken a liking to called Broken Compass which is a bit outside the main town but is less crowded and a nice place to chill.

There's also plenty of pot shops on a strip just outside of town too if you're into that.

Its not all that far form A-Basin, Keystone or Copper Mountain too if you get bored of Breck. The ski area is massive though. If they have it all open you could def spend a whole week there and still find new runs to hit. I love it. My parents live there too so I get a free place to stay when I go out there which makes it that much sweeter.

If you ever go out there, send me a PM I can recommend some good places to go.

lunchtoast

Oct 26, 2017
I'd like to. Went once in January outside DC and I'd like to go more this year. Up for any recommendations for those in NOVA area. Went to Massanutten. It's cheap but didn't have a lot of snow and not many trails. Got bored so switched over to snowboard and will probably stick to learning that.

OP
OP
Aomber

Aomber

Oct 25, 2017
Beantown
The town is great! Tons of places to go out to eat or drink. They have free buses to take you between the base ski areas and the town...think it goes to Frisco too. There's the Breck brewery there and another one I've taken a liking to called Broken Compass which is a bit outside the main town but is less crowded and a nice place to chill.

There's also plenty of pot shops on a strip just outside of town too if you're into that.

Its not all that far form A-Basin, Keystone or Copper Mountain too if you get bored of Breck. The ski area is massive though. If they have it all open you could def spend a whole week there and still find new runs to hit. I love it. My parents live there too so I get a free place to stay when I go out there which makes it that much sweeter.

If you ever go out there, send me a PM I can recommend some good places to go.
That sounds awesome, I'll definitely have to keep that in mind, thanks for the info! That's really lucky to have a place to stay near a mountain like that too, it's my dream to own a place near a big ski area

I'm heading to Niseko in 3 weeks - can't wait. Was excellent last year and with 2 new lifts this year should be even better.
Not familiar with Japanese mountains but just googled this and that looks incredible. Enjoy!

Gonna go to Zermatt in January with friends. Can't wait!
Damn nice I've heard amazing things. I've only been to Switzerland (Grindelwald) for skiing once or twice when I was really young, I remember it being incredible but really need to return as an adult. Zermatt is on the list

Eldy

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I usually go skiing in upstate NY, Vermont and/or Quebec with my dad every January or February (we stay with an aunt and uncle who live up there) but I'm not sure if I will this year. Definitely not if it's in February since I'm back in school now. I enjoy skiing though; just not very good at it since the two days of skiing per year we do on that trip are pretty much all I ever do anymore.

gigaslash

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Damn nice I've heard amazing things. I've only been to Switzerland (Grindelwald) for skiing once or twice when I was really young, I remember it being incredible but really need to return as an adult. Zermatt is on the list
If you can, go for 10 days or so, and cover Verbier + Nendaz and Zermatt. And maybe even squeeze in a day at Chamonix. You'll love it

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
Yup - I started learning snowboarding last winter, and I need to pick it back up this winter.

Ontario doesn't have mountains, only large hills. But I may be moving tot he west coast which does have mountains, so that would be fun. Either way, i'll be out enjoying the winter.

Qasiel

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I am in a few weeks. Just bought my friend's old Burton Bullet and me and a bunch of people (beginners and experienced) are heading to Bansko in Bulgaria where I've not been for a few years. Really looking forward to getting back on the mountain.

combine42

Nov 11, 2017
Yes I'll squeeze in a few days of boarding. I usually go to Aspen with my extended family but my fiance and I just don't have the extra money to do it this year :(

combine42

Nov 11, 2017
That's too bad. I want to check out Aspen one day but I'll need a loooot of time to do that, long flight for me then long drive from Denver
I've taken the Colorado Express van from Denver airport and its not too bad. I would definitely recommend it. It's pricey but you can't beat the variety and the crowds are not nearly as bad as comparable places.

OP
OP
Aomber

Aomber

Oct 25, 2017
Beantown
I've taken the Colorado Express van from Denver airport and its not too bad. I would definitely recommend it. It's pricey but you can't beat the variety and the crowds are not nearly as bad as comparable places.
Yeah I've heard fantastic things. I went to Park City and Deer Valley last year and that's a big reason I'm going back this year, absolutely no lines anywhere on the mountain, went during Sundance too. This year again I'm only going skiing for a few days though, and given that time, that 40 minute drive from the airport is hard to beat. When I have a bit more time Aspen's on the list

I have been skiing in Colorado though. Telluride specifically, that place is great.

Casual

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. Did Revelstoke and Kicking Horse last year. Tremblant too.

Doing Tremblant again this year, but trying to plan something else. Wouldn't mind doing Jackson Hole again, or Whistler. Never been to Colorado or Utah, Japan would be sweet too. Too many places....

moist

Oct 30, 2017
Indeed. Alyeska opened this weekend so it's where I'll be on the weekends the rest of the winter.

OP
OP
Aomber

Aomber

Oct 25, 2017
Beantown
Yeah. Did Revelstoke and Kicking Horse last year. Tremblant too.

Doing Tremblant again this year, but trying to plan something else. Wouldn't mind doing Jackson Hole again, or Whistler. Never been to Colorado or Utah, Japan would be sweet too. Too many places....
How is Tremblant now a day? I've never actually skied it but I've heard historically the cold there can make it really icy.

Never been to either Jackson Hole or Whistler, both are on the list one day. Jackson Hole might be harder to convince people to do, I'm a very advanced skier but most people I know definitely are not.

Forearm_Star

Oct 25, 2017
Ice coast checking in!

Already been 2x this year. Hurray for Windham mountain's Santa Ride event earlier today.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, been riding around Seattle and I already have a trip booked for Big Sky, Montana (which is my favorite resort in the world) later this year.

Casual

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How is Tremblant now a day? I've never actually skied it but I've heard historically the cold there can make it really icy.

Never been to either Jackson Hole or Whistler, both are on the list one day. Jackson Hole might be harder to convince people to do, I'm a very advanced skier but most people I know definitely are not.

I've only done Tremblant the once...little hard to judge since it wasn't the best conditions (not the worst either though). Snow was a bit too hard/icy for my tastes, but it did have some cool runs and the village is nice. That said, I snowboard so you'd probably have a better time. I also had just come back from Revelstoke which was nothing but powder.

Revenger

Oct 28, 2017

Niseko is beautiful! Best place I've ever snowboarded and their mountain layout is awesome! Love how you can traverse the top and board down any of the 4 runs <3

OP
OP
Aomber

Aomber

Oct 25, 2017
Beantown
I've only done Tremblant the once...little hard to judge since it wasn't the best conditions (not the worst either though). Snow was a bit too hard/icy for my tastes, but it did have some cool runs and the village is nice. That said, I snowboard so you'd probably have a better time. I also had just come back from Revelstoke which was nothing but powder.
Yeah damn that's what I've heard. The town is very very nice though, I went there a couple times when I was younger

OP
OP
Aomber

Aomber

Oct 25, 2017
Beantown
Finally got around to booking the trip for February, so pumped :D gonna be hitting up Park City Mountain and Deer Valley

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
I should get back to snowboarding as we just moved some 500 km up north and I now have multiple resorts close by.

I haven't been on my board for ten years or more so I'm a bit worried things might be a little rusty between me and the board. Also I hope I don't end up looking like a total gradnpa with my antiquated(?) gear?

I have an old, maybe 2005 or so Rossignol Jonas Emery board that was sort of a big deal then but I have no idea if it still holds up.

One like this:

board.jpg

J-Rod

Dec 15, 2017
Nah. Used to be an instructor and ride every season. Knees can't do it any more.

OP
OP
Aomber

Aomber

Oct 25, 2017
Beantown
I should get back to snowboarding as we just moved some 500 km up north and I now have multiple resorts close by.

I haven't been on my board for ten years or more so I'm a bit worried things might be a little rusty between me and the board. Also I hope I don't end up looking like a total gradnpa with my antiquated(?) gear?

I have an old, maybe 2005 or so Rossignol Jonas Emery board that was sort of a big deal then but I have no idea if it still holds up.

One like this:

board.jpg
You'll be fine, nobody pays that much attention to what you're using

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I should, but I won't. This is something I'd like to do again. It was always a lot of fun when I was in my teens and would go with friends, school and family. Not all that often, but maybe twice a year.

I've skiied several times, but only snowboarded once. It surprised me how well I did the first time on a snowboard because I'm overweight and haven't always had good balance. But I did pretty well and enjoyed it, and once had to quickly move because I was in danger of riding overtop of my friend who had fallen. This was back in grade 8, though.

Nobody I know skis, and there's not much in the way of hills around here, but I'd like to make a point of doing it again before I get too old. It's been a good 13 years since I last skiied.

Dahellisdat

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to Breck Jan 18-21. If any ERA folks are out there around that time, I'd be happy to do some runs with you. I'll be visiting my parents so will prob be skiing by myself for the most part.

Qasiel

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Man, a week tomorrow I'll be off snowboarding in Bulgaria. Can't wait.

weremichael

Oct 27, 2017
Rocky Mountains
Had a few great days up here in Wyoming last week. Thigh deep snow definitely put me in the white zone. Might ride on Sunday if a storm materializes. I'm a fair weather (powder/bluebird days) rider now. I do enjoy spring corn snow though. It's fun riding in a t shirt in April. I miss living in Oregon and riding Palmer Glacier in August, but I don't miss the cascade concrete that is an Oregon powder day.

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
I might try to snowboard for a day if the conditions are right. I'm blue-square level, maybe. I can never afford it, but i own a board and gear my uncle gave me in high school

OP
OP
Aomber

Aomber

Oct 25, 2017
Beantown
So I ended up going to New Hampshire - a word of warning for anyone outside the state, if you decide to go there, the people at the mountain I went to were some of the worst skiers/boarders I've ever seen. Dumbasses going way too fast & reckless around the lift areas, as well as on the mountain itself.

It was funny because these guys were going super fast down the blue runs (which I would have considered greens at most other resorts). Meanwhile the black runs were almost dead hahaha

Musha_Soturi

Oct 26, 2017
I am in a few weeks. Just bought my friend's old Burton Bullet and me and a bunch of people (beginners and experienced) are heading to Bansko in Bulgaria where I've not been for a few years. Really looking forward to getting back on the mountain.

Man, a week tomorrow I'll be off snowboarding in Bulgaria. Can't wait.

Surprise!

So me and my bloke decided to surprise Qasiel and our friends by joining them in Bansko this week. Half way through and it's been awesome so far, after 3 years of no snowboarding I'm pleased that I've fallen right back into it, in fact I'm probably boarding better than I ever have done. It's been snowing so there's lots of fresh powder, and it's great to be amongst awesome friends of all levels. I definitely won't be leaving it another 3 years!

Shane

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I'm missing the warm weather and being on a golf course, the few times I went snowboarding while home for Christmas just has me aching to get back on top of a hill. I definitely miss the convenience of the hill being a 10 minute drive away.