• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly mask while skiing may be enough to sink me because I'm a glasses user, can't use a mask while skiing without fogging up(can't use goggles either). I could tolerate it on the lift and in line but the fact is you should be staying away from each other on the slopes anyways
I highly doubt it will be WHILE skiing.

viandante

Apr 24, 2020
hope that my local mountain has some good precautions for keeping crowds down and people not jammed together like cattle in long lift lines. getting out to ski would be so good for me mentally, but i don't want to deal with the stress of crowds either..

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Really hoping to go skiing this year. I think it'll be easier to keep distance on the mountain, longer lift lines but you'll have to ride up with just your party no mix and match. Gondelas (sp) are going to be tricky to do it within guidelines. Wonder how they'll do that.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know; just watch this be an amazing snow year in the Northeast now that there's a pandemic.

Last year was basically spin all year. So of course, we're going to have an amazing winter.
tenor.gif

image0.png

image1.png

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Chances are chances. And honestly: "Equal Chances" of have less or more precipitation than normal isn't that bad of a chance.

The whole thing about global warming isn't that it makes local temperatures rise; it's that it'll make the weather much more chaotic.

Also: It was a sarcastic joke.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
It's going to be a different season for sure.

There are most likely zero international tourists in Lapland the coming winter. This means some of the resorts that have majority of their income from them might not even open (like the local small hill 15 mins drive away). Just have to see how things go on that front.

On the other hand, all the Finnish people who love to spend their time in the Alps are going to stay in homeland instead.

Or there will be a lockdown issued by the government and nobody goes anywhere. We'll just have to see.

Either way, I think this season is the time for me to invest in backcountry gear more. I don't have the funds to get a splitboard, but snowshoes are luckily a cheaper option. Maybe I'll even get a pow surfer and learn to enjoy the hundreds of small hills I live the middle of.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Had a couple days here in Washington.

So far, purely anecdotal, the covid precautions are really well done. I feel more at risk walking into a store than skiing.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
The season started with pretty nice conditions given the time of the year and that coupled with a lot of other forms of enjoyment being closed due Covid, I unfortunately had to nope out the first time I went to the local hill two weeks ago. Let's just say the precautions were there, but nobody was enforcing them and people were acting stupid.

But for a more positive note, last weekend I took a trip to a more remote resort that usually operates a lot with international tourists. I assumed it's going to be quiet and I was right. Had some real good progress with my son. He now had the strength to use a proper lift (together with me) and being able to go down a "big slope" really gave him a boost in confidence and things just clicked for him. Suddenly all I had to do was follow him and cheer. He'd make couple turns, maybe fall, get up, point his board down and repeat. The guy is not even four yet and he can snowboard.

We're going again tomorrow.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The season started with pretty nice conditions given the time of the year and that coupled with a lot of other forms of enjoyment being closed due Covid, I unfortunately had to nope out the first time I went to the local hill two weeks ago. Let's just say the precautions were there, but nobody was enforcing them and people were acting stupid.

But for a more positive note, last weekend I took a trip to a more remote resort that usually operates a lot with international tourists. I assumed it's going to be quiet and I was right. Had some real good progress with my son. He now had the strength to use a proper lift (together with me) and being able to go down a "big slope" really gave him a boost in confidence and things just clicked for him. Suddenly all I had to do was follow him and cheer. He'd make couple turns, maybe fall, get up, point his board down and repeat. The guy is not even four yet and he can snowboard.

We're going again tomorrow.
Where's this hill?

I've skied Mt Baker, Crystal, and going to Alpental tomorrow.

Baker was probably the most lax but its not as crowded. The biggest issue there is the mid mountain lifts its tough to enforce the singles thing.

At Crystal they are REAL strict. You can only go inside the lodge to do bathroom. All food is ordered at windows outside. The lifties will yell at you to puill up a mask. I also know a staff member at some CO resort that said opening weekend they pulled 4 peoples passes because they were being mask protesters.

Oct 27, 2017
I rode Canyons at Park City on Wednesday and it was busier than I expected for mid week, but I felt pretty safe with the masks and protocols put in place. I rode most lifts by myself, but shared a 6 seater with one other person twice, both times were were on opposite sides of the chair.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
Where's this hill?

I've skied Mt Baker, Crystal, and going to Alpental tomorrow.

Baker was probably the most lax but its not as crowded. The biggest issue there is the mid mountain lifts its tough to enforce the singles thing.

At Crystal they are REAL strict. You can only go inside the lodge to do bathroom. All food is ordered at windows outside. The lifties will yell at you to puill up a mask. I also know a staff member at some CO resort that said opening weekend they pulled 4 peoples passes because they were being mask protesters.

A little ways from where you're at, in Finland. :)

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait for this season. Barely any tourists! It'll be tough as I can't get my kid in lessons but looking forward to all the Canadian resorts hopefully having 50% less people there.

It'll be interesting to see how they're staffed. I've picked up my Mountain Collective pass, will hopefully get 12-15 days in this year.
While skiing in Ontario pales to BC and Alberta all the resorts around here are season pass holders only at this point. The only one close to me is basically a glorified bunny hill.
I'm not sure if I'll get to go to get to go much or if it's worth the risk with COVID.

Dahellisdat

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I made a reservation for me and my daughters to go to Breck in March during their spring break. No idea what that's going to look like yet....hopefully by then there's a sliver of a chance we might have been vaccinated. I'm curious though with them having limits on number of people on the mountain what a usual crazy busy spring break week will be like this year.

Ski school is pretty much out, so I'll be trying to do some lessons teaching them myself. Not as extreme of stuff as I'm used to skiing but it should be nice to be out there with the two of them after they've been cramped in the house for a year doing virtual learning. My parents live out there too so I should still get a few days to myself while they hang out with the kids.

TrAcEr_x90

Oct 27, 2017
My hometown is Denver, Colorado. Didn't start snowboarding until I was in mid 20s when I could actually afford it. Even many many years ago it was rough getting up to the areas to ski because of traffic. I can only imagine what its like recently. Although with Covid maybe it won't be so bad this year.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Suppose to be going to Saalbach, Austria on 16th Jan from the UK... I think the chances of that happening is close to zero..

Always next year (2022) I suppose

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
We were planning to go to Park City Utah, backed out because no way in hell I'm chancing that.
Feels bad as it'll be the first time in 6 years we cancel our annual snow trip, but it is what it is.

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
I went for the first time this year this weekend to Waterville Valley, NH. We got really lucky with the conditions - Waterville got dumped on with at least a foot. Sunday was some of the best skiing I've had.

However, did have an incident Saturday. Around 11, we got stuck on the lift near the bottom - there were actually only 2 or 3 chairs behind us. Attendant comes snowshoeing up to tell us it could be a while - the whole mountain (and area) lost power with the storm. We waited about 30 minutes and then they got auxiliary power on, but the lift moves really slowly with that. I was freaking out a bit. By the time we skied down they had closed the mountain.

Staff was incredible though and we were offered passes the next day and 2 additional vouchers for future days.

Skiing with Covid is a bit annoying though. The activity is obviously great (you're naturally masked, you're outside with plenty of room) but without access to the lodge there's nowhere to kick back, change your shoes, etc. Just takes a bit more planning but honestly it does make it a bit less enjoyable, especially if dealing with anything other than ideal ski conditions.

Last edited:

Aegus

Oct 29, 2017
I was hoping to, but the ski lifts in France are closed and will be closed all of February.

Otherwise I would have going every weekend. Can't even hike up as I won't get back before the 6pm curfew starts.

Qasiel

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not going to get the chance to go snowboarding at all this year it seems. Unless there's some kind of miracle, lockdown here in the UK is making it really difficult to organise a trip. It sucks too as my wife keeps showing me her Facebook memories of past trips and that, coupled with accounts I follow in Instagram are really making me miss it.

To those who can get on a mountain; have a great time and I'm very, very jealous.

Goda

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
Was only able to go out twice this season due to covid but I think my season is over.

Ended up breaking my tailbone last week and I'll be out of commission for about 3 months. The mountain I go to was extremely icy due to the cold and I ate it ripping it down the hill.

Hope everyone else was able to get some runs in this season.

Qasiel

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Still looking unlikely I'll be able to travel to anywhere that has decent snow for the foreseeable and I'm missing it terribly. Hoping that next year things will return to normal and travelling with a 3-year-old will be a bit more enjoyable.

In the meantime I'm again staring longingly at social media posts and missing the mountains.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
If you want to get covid. I work in a restaurant up in the mountain in zermatt. Just know that you'd be traveling in trains and gondolas like sardines in a can. They're only allowed to fill them at 70% capacity but of course they dont. Same thing in restaurants

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
If you want to get covid. I work in a restaurant up in the mountain in zermatt. Just know that you'd be traveling in trains and gondolas like sardines in a can. They're only allowed to fill them at 70% capacity but of course they dont. Same thing in restaurants
No thanks I already got Covid in Zermatt when I was visiting my parents last week. As a triple vaccinated person. It is crazy how many people who live there are not vaccinated. Everyone is talking about Ischgl or other destinations are hotspots but Zermatt is playing a big role this year I think.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Going to NH/VM with my girlfriend at the end of next month, but luckily she's familiar with great places to hike around there in the event there's no snow or not enough to snowboard on. We're also staying with a friend of hers so we'll find a way to make the most of the trip regardless of what happens.

Suichimo

Mar 17, 2021
I could only wish to do something like this. However, I live in Iowa, don't have great pay, and rarely do I ever have enough pto built up to take an extended trip like this would require.

So put me in the camp of never doing this, I suppose.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Wound up living near the family place in the mountains this year(so 30~min drive) and got my pass covered (and even got new boots for the first time ever). Went up Wednesday morning… warming up my first day with 2 blues, 3 blacks from mid mountain, then 2 long green runs to the upper mountain lift for a long blue run to base was maybe not my best choice on new boots and in my current shape, my legs still hurt a bit XD. It's a small mountain so along with the lifts being open air I generally can ride solo and I pull my stuff out of the car so along with being Vaxed and boosted I really don't have to interact with people much. And right up the street from a family place so don't have a reason to use the facilities either.

Now it's just a question of when my schedule will allow again, hoping for enough of a gap to get up there for a few days in a couple weeks.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Gf and I want to go but not sure when we'll be able to. I have friends in CO we can stay with and go basically anytime but work and COVID and all that. I've never been to Vermont so I was thinking we could do like a 4 day weekend thing there.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This season has been weird. Dumped snow early on and had a huge dry spell. Unsure if there are enough people here to warrant a skiing OT but I use this thread as such.

But holy shit this April has been nuts so far. Some of my footage

guiloahhhhh

Oct 29, 2017
Where are you skiing tawpgun? I'm up in Sacramento with the epic pass. Kirkwood has been my go to and has been pretty great all season snow wise. We got dumped on this whole week so I will try to make it up there this saturday. I know Oregon just got hit as well so may take a trip up there as well!

Just got some Brahama 82's that are super fun. I can do pretty much any blue and some blacks and am looking to consistently hit black diamonds. Pretty much parallel turning exclusively now. Really fun to see the improvement.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
Skiing has been out of my budget for a few years but I finally made it to Killington in Vermont last Sunday and the conditions were incredible. There was nobody there and there was at least 6 inches of powder, I'm not even sure if that's how to describe it but it was perfect skiing snow. I'm used to skiing on basically groomed ice this time of year.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where are you skiing tawpgun? I'm up in Sacramento with the epic pass. Kirkwood has been my go to and has been pretty great all season snow wise. We got dumped on this whole week so I will try to make it up there this saturday. I know Oregon just got hit as well so may take a trip up there as well!

Just got some Brahama 82's that are super fun. I can do pretty much any blue and some blacks and am looking to consistently hit black diamonds. Pretty much parallel turning exclusively now. Really fun to see the improvement.
Washington. Mainly Crystal.

Although they price gouged like crazy so im doing epic local ikon base next year with Stevens Pass being my primary mountain

Kaban

Oct 25, 2017
Just booked a few days in Park City over the winter holidays - gonna be busy AF, but living in California, it was surprisingly one of the cheaper options. Mammoth and Tahoe are far too expensive atm, as well as Colorado.

Skiing is like the only sport I'm good at, why's it gotta be so expensive :(

Anyway, we're really excited! Anyone else got upcoming plans?

blackhawk163

Oct 28, 2017
More poor husband, bought us ski passes in April (epic military passes). He bought his first ever pair of skis after having rented the 4 times we went prior. Heck, he even planned out a whole set of trips to Mt. Snow/Stowe and Okemo. And so it broke my heart just a tiny bit when I told him in May that I found out I was pregnant.

His reaction after being told that was so warm a joyous, he couldn't believe it, then he followed up with "Does that mean no skiing? 😂

This thread does make me a little jealous, maybe I'll catch some of you NE era members on the slopes next ski season.

Stay safe!⛷️

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
This season has been weird. Dumped snow early on and had a huge dry spell. Unsure if there are enough people here to warrant a skiing OT but I use this thread as such.

But holy shit this April has been nuts so far. Some of my footage

wweeeeeoooooo

Move over Chris Pratt, we've found the new voice of Mario 😄

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
We're still enjoying autumn here in Maine but it's almost time to think about putting the snowblower on the tractor and getting ready for winter. This may be the winter I finally take up Nordic/x-country skiing. I'm sort of a heretic living here and not skiing (or eating lobster).

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
I might go cross country ski a few times. My local downhill area has chosen not to open for the 3rd winter in a row (given the drought I have doubts it will ever open again), meaning I'd have to make a 2.5 hour trip to the next closest. I simply don't have the time, money, or energy to do so this year.

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
More poor husband, bought us ski passes in April (epic military passes). He bought his first ever pair of skis after having rented the 4 times we went prior. Heck, he even planned out a whole set of trips to Mt. Snow/Stowe and Okemo. And so it broke my heart just a tiny bit when I told him in May that I found out I was pregnant.

His reaction after being told that was so warm a joyous, he couldn't believe it, then he followed up with "Does that mean no skiing? 😂

This thread does make me a little jealous, maybe I'll catch some of you NE era members on the slopes next ski season.

Stay safe!⛷️

Congratulations!!

I'm in the same boat, no skiing for my wife since she's pregnant and I'll probably take it easy this season so I don't make her too jealous. I think it'll all be worth it when we have a little one skiing with us :)

assuming there's still snow in the Sierras in 5 years :(

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
New job and weekends suck for it so probably not this year(can't use PTO for 6 months)

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If anyone is looking to purchase new ski gear let me know. Started working part time for this company called Curated that has a pretty solid stock of gear with a lot of great sales. It matches you with an "expert" so they can help dial you in to the right piece of gear. Feel free to DM me

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
Been skiing a couple times in New England the last month including this weekend at Loon. Conditions are pretty dire, mountains doing their best but everything is skied over by noon and ice everywhere.