• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
Burton is having a demo day this Saturday. I'm excited to get to try as many different boards as I can. In my hiatus from boarding I missed the whole introduction of rockers and then hybrid camber / rocker profiles and volume sifted boards. Going to be fun I bet!

Shane

Oct 25, 2017
Hanging out in the ski lodge. It would be a great day if it wasn't so dang windy. Freezing on the chairlift.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
Hanging out in the ski lodge. It would be a great day if it wasn't so dang windy. Freezing on the chairlift.

I hope the weather takes a turn for the better!

It was almost whiteout conditions on top of the polar night last Saturday, but I had so much fun at the demo day. Fell absolutely in love with Burton Skeleton Key. It was such a fun ride I was joy screaming all the way down.

Shane

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the weather takes a turn for the better!

It was almost whiteout conditions on top of the polar night last Saturday, but I had so much fun at the demo day. Fell absolutely in love with Burton Skeleton Key. It was such a fun ride I was joy screaming all the way down.

It didn't get much better or much worse. Hill only open for another 20 minutes or so, so I just finished up. Slopes are a bit icy, but was good to get back on the hill while I'm back home.

Would've been nice to get some pictures since it wasn't busy, but cloud cover and the wind didn't make the views ideal.

Dahellisdat

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would like to get new skiiing gloves this season. Intrigued by the hybrid mitten design where the third, fourth, and fifth fingers are in a single pocket, especially since my fourth and fifth fingers are the ones that tend to freeze up. Anyone try that design and not like it? Would like to get opinions before I splurge.
I have some and I love them more than anything I've ever owned before.

Hestra 3-finger Winter Mitten

Forearm_Star

Oct 25, 2017
Forgot this thread existed.

Been going a few times this year and finally am getting better.

Challenge is to go faster and not shit myself going down steep runs.

Morzak

Oct 27, 2017
Got 3 days in thanks to the in laws sharing baby sitting duties :) . 2 Days with amazing weather, and one day where it was snowing, had some nice powder near the pist, but a lot of stuff was not really rideable since it was nearly whiteout.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well, I was trying to look all cool and film some boarding videos today, anyway, I now I need a new phone.
I blame StaffyManasse.
The boarding itself was fantastic, but fuck, my poor phone :(

Xavillin

Oct 25, 2017
Oh definitely. Here in Maui, sport activities in the snow is a local favorite pastime. Snow everywhere!

I wish :(

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Just got back from Steamboat. Great snow but my 14yo son was jumping (in ski school) and landed wrong snapping his tibia and spiral fractures all down his leg. He had surgery and has a metal plate from the knee to the ankle. So ski season is over for us.

PaJeppy

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Just got back from Steamboat. Great snow but my 14yo son was jumping (in ski school) and landed wrong snapping his tibia and spiral fractures all down his leg. He had surgery and has a metal plate from the knee to the ankle. So ski season is over for us.

Holy crap. Hopefully a fast recovery. That really sucks.

Broke my big toe at the beginning of December and doctor said no skiing until end of January. So I haven't been up yet.

Going to start boarding this year. Looks like more fun and I won't have to deal with ski boots. After 20 years of skiing I'm so done with ski boots.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Holy crap. Hopefully a fast recovery. That really sucks.

Broke my big toe at the beginning of December and doctor said no skiing until end of January. So I haven't been up yet.

Going to start boarding this year. Looks like more fun and I won't have to deal with ski boots. After 20 years of skiing I'm so done with ski boots.

Been skiing for about 40 years. Bought new boots for the first time 2 days before he crashed :P

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
I finally started gearing up! After living in Colorado for five years, I'm at a point where I can afford to buy some gear for the next time my friends head to the mountains. I'm up in northern Colorado, so we might go to Snowy Range in Wyoming in the next few weeks. $50 lift tickets and it's less than two hours from here. We have some friends that also ski Breckenridge regularly, so we're hoping to tag along in the near future. I'm so excited to get back on the slopes.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
Well, I was trying to look all cool and film some boarding videos today, anyway, I now I need a new phone.
I blame StaffyManasse.
The boarding itself was fantastic, but fuck, my poor phone :(

Oh man that sucks, what happened?

That suck way more though. I hope for a good recovery for your son! Is the plate there to stay? :(

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
I tried snowboarding for the first time last Feb and I had an absolute blast, despite a sprained shoulder from a rather hard fall.

I found it much more challenging to learn compared to skiing, but I enjoyed it a lot more as well once I got the hang of it. I ended up doing an all-day one on one lesson, and didn't even make it onto a chairlift until sometime after lunch. I then went out to practice a few days later and was able to do several runs on green slopes until my last one where I landed hard on my left shoulder after catching an edge.

I desperately want to plan a trip to Breck/Winter Park in Feb. My plan is to try to go at least once, but hopefully twice a year. I hope whatever beginner skills I picked up haven't regressed. I'll probably have to carve out a bunch of time on the practice run to get my bearings again.

Crissaegrim

May 23, 2018
I grew up skiing at around 10 years old, but we moved to Florida soon after I had gone probably 3-4 times. Finally tried snowboarding this season (mother in law hooked me up with all new gear) and loved it. My wife is into it so it's something we both enjoy which is awesome. She's going again next Tuesday with a friend and I'll really jealous, but I gotta work. I think we'll sneak in one more go this season hopefully.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh man that sucks, what happened?
I have a really good video stabilization thing on my phone, well, had, so I was like fuck it, let's show off, got a selfie stick and was talking some low, next to the snow videos. Sadly, the phone plopped out of that shitty stick (I wasn't even filming at the time, I think it was the vibrations, or maybe I just didn't secured well enough), fell into a ravine and got buried under quite a bit of snow.
I looked for it for a while and couldn't find it. Maybe it'll turn out in the spring.

I told you in the other thread, it's bad karma.

ZZMitch

Oct 26, 2017
For sure! My family owns a Ski house on Sugarloaf Mountain in Maine so I have been skiing since I was like 3. Just got back from a 17 day trip there :)

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
Chikor damn. But that's what you get being in public with a selfie stick in sight! (I'm kidding ofc, I love how people can film their riding now with selfie sticks and 360 cams. That one even automatically edits away the stick. So cool.) RIP phone. I hope you got backups on all the important stuff.

ZZMitch so cool!

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have a recommendation for ski gloves on Amazon? I'll be skiing at Loon in NH mostly - can get quite chilly there. Had these recommended to me by someone. Ideally I wouldn't pay $90, but I also know ski gear is not a thing to cheap out on.

Similarly, does anyone have a recommendation for a good lower-body base layer to wear under my snowpants?

Last edited:

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone have a recommendation for ski gloves on Amazon? I'll be skiing at Loon in NH mostly - can get quite chilly there. Had these recommended to me by someone. Ideally I wouldn't pay $90, but I also know ski gear is not a thing to cheap out on.

Similarly, does anyone have a recommendation for a good lower-body base layer to wear under my snowpants?

Can't help you on gloves, but for base layers I have invested in merino wool and absolutely will not go back to any other form of base.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Chikor damn. But that's what you get being in public with a selfie stick in sight! (I'm kidding ofc, I love how people can film their riding now with selfie sticks and 360 cams. That one even automatically edits away the stick. So cool.) RIP phone. I hope you got backups on all the important stuff.
No, you are 100% right and I totally had it coming.

I'm actually not being perfectly honest here, I was kinda lying about what happened, what I did was extra stupid. I was doing one of those "oh no I fell of a cliff" videos, I had the stick tied with a bungee cord, then I rode close(ish) to a cliff and just tossed it down. It's a trick I learned from my friend and it's actually hilarious to just edit that into a video without telling people.
What happened is that I pull the stick and the phone wasn't there, and where it landed wasn't really accessible.
I mean, what *really* happened is that I was trying to look cool for this thread and I paid the price. I learned my lesson though.

Oh well, time for a new phone anyway.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I want to, but I'm so out of shape.

Friends wana go to blue hills for some easy practice, but it's also 60 out.

Weird winter here in boston

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
No, you are 100% right and I totally had it coming.

I'm actually not being perfectly honest here, I was kinda lying about what happened, what I did was extra stupid. I was doing one of those "oh no I fell of a cliff" videos, I had the stick tied with a bungee cord, then I rode close(ish) to a cliff and just tossed it down. It's a trick I learned from my friend and it's actually hilarious to just edit that into a video without telling people.
What happened is that I pull the stick and the phone wasn't there, and where it landed wasn't really accessible.
I mean, what *really* happened is that I was trying to look cool for this thread and I paid the price. I learned my lesson though.

Oh well, time for a new phone anyway.

Lol that's hilarious! I mean RIP to the phone but that one is on you. :)

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lol that's hilarious! I mean RIP to the phone but that one is on you. :)
No, it's clearly your fault.
Anyway, I know selfie sticks got bad rep (unjustly if you ask me, and I never take selfies even), but you can film really close to the snow really easily, and it makes for some really cool videos, even if you're going at relatively slow speeds.
Also, and I am well aware of the irony of me saying it right now, it's way easier to secure your phone with a stick than trying to hold it in your hand.

Last edited:

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I skiied for the first time in 20 years last year at Killington in Vermont. I wasn't any good but had a great time that day. Did mostly beginners/moderate trails all day, and some were really challenging for me, but still had a blast and picked it right back up.

I'm hoping to go once this winter. There's a mountain about 20mins from my house and my wife and I would like to go one one day this winter when the baby is at daycare and she has the day off. But, those weeks (school vacation) are usually super busy there.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
Hey Chikor how's the phone?

Sorry.

I know you said you try to stay away from gear talk, but I don't really have any other community to ask around, so I'll try my luck. And of course if anyone else can help, I would be happy.

So, long story short, I'm looking for a new board. I absolutely fell in love with Burton Skeleton Key I rode in a demo day they had. I tried a few others from Burton and Nitro, but none felt as fun. Unfortunately, my size (154) is gone everywhere. I've been looking for a board with similar specs and found Endeavor Scout. There's 156 one on sale I could perhaps pick and on paper they look pretty close. Hybrid camber, good amount of setback, not too long and not too stiff freeride oriented board is what I am looking for.

So, my question is. Know anyone who has ridden these both and could tell me how they compare? Skeleton key reviews are ubiquitous it being a Burton, but can't find that much on the Scout, other than Endeavor seems to have gotten some praise for their other boards.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hey Chikor how's the phone?

Sorry.

I know you said you try to stay away from gear talk, but I don't really have any other community to ask around, so I'll try my luck. And of course if anyone else can help, I would be happy.

So, long story short, I'm looking for a new board. I absolutely fell in love with Burton Skeleton Key I rode in a demo day they had. I tried a few others from Burton and Nitro, but none felt as fun. Unfortunately, my size (154) is gone everywhere. I've been looking for a board with similar specs and found Endeavor Scout. There's 156 one on sale I could perhaps pick and on paper they look pretty close. Hybrid camber, good amount of setback, not too long and not too stiff freeride oriented board is what I am looking for.

So, my question is. Know anyone who has ridden these both and could tell me how they compare? Skeleton key reviews are ubiquitous it being a Burton, but can't find that much on the Scout, other than Endeavor seems to have gotten some praise for their other boards.
I haven't fucked around too much with directional snowboards.
I actually own a Burton Fish that I got from some idiot in Whistler (long story) and while it can be fun on moguls, I have not found too much use for it otherwise, you're giving up switch and not gaining much in return.
I have not owned an endeavor snowboard and if I demoed or rented one, I don't remember, so I can't help you there, though in general, Burton boards tend to feel a bit softer than comparable boards of other makers;

But in general, I have not found that things outside the basic characteristics of the board (dimensions, flex and to a lesser extent weight) matter all that much to me. It sometime feel a bit weird for an hour or two, but after that it's whatever.
Like, I think waxing is way more noticeable.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't fucked around too much with directional snowboards.
I actually own a Burton Fish that I got from some idiot in Whistler (long story) and while it can be fun on moguls, I have not found too much use for it otherwise, you're giving up switch and not gaining much in return.
I have not owned an endeavor snowboard and if I demoed or rented one, I don't remember, so I can't help you there, though in general, Burton boards tend to feel a bit softer than comparable boards of other makers;

But in general, I have not found that things outside the basic characteristics of the board (dimensions, flex and to a lesser extent weight) matter all that much to me. It sometime feel a bit weird for an hour or two, but after that it's whatever.
Like, I think waxing is way more noticeable.

Thanks for your input! I'm not too set on any particular technical detail, other than I found Skeleton key most fun ( = corresponding best to my skill level and riding atm. I suppose) of the five different boards I got to take for a spin that day. Plus my old board of course. So I'm looking for a board that's similar.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for your input! I'm not too set on any particular technical detail, other than I found Skeleton key most fun ( = corresponding best to my skill level and riding atm. I suppose) of the five different boards I got to take for a spin that day. Plus my old board of course. So I'm looking for a board that's similar.
Whatever feel good to you is the best snowboard.
Some people overguess their gear and it gets to their heads.

Do you ride a directional snowboard now btw?

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
Whatever feel good to you is the best snowboard.
Some people overguess their gear and it gets to their heads.

Do you ride a directional snowboard now btw?

Yeah, I do. It's from 2005 though, so it's way more twin shape than some of the directional boards you see nowadays. Like the nose is longer, but I'm not sure how much more super-secret-extra-directional-supertech it has. Can't remember or find info. Camber profile etc.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I do. It's from 2005 though, so it's way more twin shape than some of the directional boards you see nowadays. Like the nose is longer, but I'm not sure how much more super-secret-extra-directional-supertech it has. Can't remember or find info. Camber profile etc.
You were talking about riding switch in the other thread, did you like riding switch on the skeleton?
I can barely do it on my fish and I hate it, seriously, anything outside groomers and it's nosedive city. But I also mount myself really backwards on it, which obviously doesn't help.

But again, I didn't fuck fuck with boards like that too much, I have some "euro-directional" long boards, but that's not the same. Those things ride switch just fine.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
You were talking about riding switch in the other thread, did you like riding switch on the skeleton?
I can barely do it on my fish and I hate it, seriously, anything outside groomers and it's nosedive city. But I also mount myself really backwards on it, which obviously doesn't help.

But again, I didn't fuck fuck with boards like that too much, I have some "euro-directional" long boards, but that's not the same. Those things ride switch just fine.

No, not really. My decision to finally learn switch was after the demo day. :)

Not that I *can* ride switch as it is right now.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Going boarding this weekend and probably early next week.
In South CA, and Mt. High is closest to me. Looking like it'll get dumped on with the storm front we have coming in.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No, not really. My decision to finally learn switch was after the demo day. :)

Not that I *can* ride switch as it is right now.
I think it's a really good idea to learn how to ride switch. I don't think it should be a priority super early on, but eventually, it can really help you both in the park and off piste.
It doesn't even take that long to learn, I honestly think the biggest barrier is the willingness to be shitty at snowboarding for a while :p.
The good news is that you don't need to be great at it, if you get to the point where you can go down comfortably riding switch chaining turns on the bunniest on the bunny slops, you're already pretty damn set in practical terms (like, that's pretty much get where you need to be for 180s and easily above most of what you'll need traversal wise in the back country).

So with all that being said, why are you picking a board like the skeleton?
It's way way harder to ride switch on a board like that.

Qasiel

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
This time tomorrow I'll be in the air on the way to Bulgaria. Bansko's going to be dumped on on Monday which is going to be great, even though the coverage is already pretty good. Really getting excited about this trip.

I made a video for last year's trip that my group really enjoyed so everyone's buying cameras in order for me to make another one. Hopefully no-one loses their phone!

(If you wanna check the video out its at Here (please be nice, it's my first attempt at making such a thing!)

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's a really good idea to learn how to ride switch. I don't think it should be a priority super early on, but eventually, it can really help you both in the park and off piste.
It doesn't even take that long to learn, I honestly think the biggest barrier is the willingness to be shitty at snowboarding for a while :p.
The good news is that you don't need to be great at it, if you get to the point where you can go down comfortably riding switch chaining turns on the bunniest on the bunny slops, you're already pretty damn set in practical terms (like, that's pretty much get where you need to be for 180s and easily above most of what you'll need traversal wise in the back country).

So with all that being said, why are you picking a board like the skeleton?
It's way way harder to ride switch on a board like that.

Yeah, I figured learning switch is big chunk of improving my general skill set and I believe it will help my general technique. I actually did put it on hold until I find some wrist guards. I was falling down hard and I cannot have a broken wrist in my current everyday life.

My reasoning for Skeleton key, or any other directional board for that matter is:

a) It was fun to ride, like seriously. Made me scream in excitement. Obviously I cannot tell which part of the board is key (pun unintended), but I assume the softer flex is one part.

b) I will not own a quiver of boards, so I have to pick one for everything. So I'm thinking I want that directional float to be there, because I do want to ride off piste and I am in the belief it helps in that regard.

Sorry my reply took a while, work got on the way lol. I do appreciate the tough questions though!

Qasiel my workplace blocked that site, do I could not watch the footage. Would love to hear about your trip though.

Qasiel

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Qasiel my workplace blocked that site, do I could not watch the footage. Would love to hear about your trip though.

Ah, pity. So last year me and some friends went back to Bansko, Bulgaria after a 7-year hiatus (had to save for a wedding/house etc.) and took some newbies in tow. Managed to buy my friend's old Burton Bullet that I rode the last time I was there (resort hires are way too short for me) which is pretty perfect for me and had a blast on it. Snowed quite nicely on the first day we were day but the rest of the time it was bright sunshine, which was nice as the drinks are pretty cheap, even up on the mountain. We had a couple of small injuries in the group but 2 of the 6 beginners managed to get off the nursery slope and up as high as we were by the end of the week.

Bansko's a pretty decent resort, perfect for beginners and intermediates as it has quite a few blues and reds with only a couple of steep black runs which aren't really great for snowboarders. However, there's plenty of wide, long runs and if dodging trees off-piste is your kinda thing then it has you covered too. There's a small fun park in the higher part of the mountain with some boxes and rails to play around on which I might give a shot this year. All in all, there's going to be 12 of us heading there this year with 2 brand new snowboarders coming along so again it'll be a varied group. A few of the guys who didn't quite progress as well as the others have been to an indoor slope a few times throughout the year in order to get some practice in so hopefully we'll all be up the top by the end of the week!

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
Ah, pity. So last year me and some friends went back to Bansko, Bulgaria after a 7-year hiatus (had to save for a wedding/house etc.) and took some newbies in tow. Managed to buy my friend's old Burton Bullet that I rode the last time I was there (resort hires are way too short for me) which is pretty perfect for me and had a blast on it. Snowed quite nicely on the first day we were day but the rest of the time it was bright sunshine, which was nice as the drinks are pretty cheap, even up on the mountain. We had a couple of small injuries in the group but 2 of the 6 beginners managed to get off the nursery slope and up as high as we were by the end of the week.

Bansko's a pretty decent resort, perfect for beginners and intermediates as it has quite a few blues and reds with only a couple of steep black runs which aren't really great for snowboarders. However, there's plenty of wide, long runs and if dodging trees off-piste is your kinda thing then it has you covered too. There's a small fun park in the higher part of the mountain with some boxes and rails to play around on which I might give a shot this year. All in all, there's going to be 12 of us heading there this year with 2 brand new snowboarders coming along so again it'll be a varied group. A few of the guys who didn't quite progress as well as the others have been to an indoor slope a few times throughout the year in order to get some practice in so hopefully we'll all be up the top by the end of the week!

Sounds fun. My greatest snowboarding trip was to Jasna in Slovakia. Had my first experience with proper mountains and powder there. It was a big group too. We built a cool jump that had a great landing into soft powder and it was so much fun. Bluebird days too and snowfall during the night too. Unforgettable for sure. It was also the early 2000's and us poor Finnish students felt like we could buy *anything* we wanted from the supermarket. This was before Slovakia joined EU.

Of course that was before my ten year hiatus. I hope I can do even better now that I'm back on board!