• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
So uh it's been an interesting last few months for Facebook and Mark Zuckerberg. I see a ton of folks on this forum resolving to delete their accounts, and I'm curious how widespread it is.

As for me, I've kept mine, though I feel kind of gross about it. It's just too easy of a tool to keep connected with old friends and acquaintances. I also use manage my work's social media accounts, so I couldn't avoid it entirely either way.

What about you?

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yes. Not super active with my own profile but I certainly use it to communicate with private groups. If you have any niche interest or hobby, Facebook is probably the best way to communicate with a small community.

LosDaddie

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Longwood, FL
Yes.
Daily for news like SDCC announcements.

But I was also not one of the "I'm leaving FB" crowd either. Social media is what you make of it.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I started winding my usage down a while ago and stopped altogether probably a year or so ago, but I have not actually deleted my account.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
No, I stopped using Facebook sometime ago, and then went through the process of deleting my account after the Cambridge Analytica scandal. Though, I do question if you can ever truly delete your Facebook account.

I will say, its had quite a positive effect on my life even if its made keeping in touch with some long distance friends and family a bit tougher, but if they're important, you find a way and just resort to some older methods.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
yep, for messenger.

also use it to look up people who apply for positions on my team. Gotta run that pseudo background check.

Doof

Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky
I stopped in '08, and haven't looked back since. It makes sense for a lot of people, but I find it actively made me feel worse.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, it's kind of essential for networking and promotion as far as music goes. Messenger and events in general are really useful too especially since my mom doesn't have a cell phone that she uses reguarly.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Sadly Yeah. I just troll people and make jokes on there now. I try not to let shit get to me.

Also, everyone but my fiancé I have message me trough Facebook messenger. I don't give out my number unless it's a group project or something related.

Leonadar

Oct 27, 2017
I have it for messenger to communicate with a few select people, but I haven't been to the actual site/app in weeks.

hashtagrekt

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes. Best community/event organizer and legacy image album. Messenger not as good as Line but depending on region Messenger is a must.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I still have one, but the only thing I use it for now is to check if my local retro game store has got anything in that I'm interested in, since that's their only online presence, as they haven't updated their Twitter in half a decade, and their website is minimal at best.

So every week or so I'll log on, check their page, and log off.

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. I'll check it once every three months to see what some people I got along with in high school are up to and then proceed to not use it for another three months. Don't even have it installed on my phone and I don't use the messenger app.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
I check it once a week maybe.

It's funny - I took a break and deleted it for a few months. When I came back the same people were posting the same things.

You aren't missing much without it, honestly.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
I've never had a facebook account ever. I was always a forum dweller.

Born a forum dweller and I will die a forum dweller. Fuck social media of any kind.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I haven't posted anything in 3 years. I don't think I'll ever participate in it again.

But I do like following my favorite jazz musicians on there just to know where their playing so I can see them live. Otherwise, I ignore the rest of it.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'm in the process of breaking away. Before deleting my account I'm going through and deleting all of the content, likes, and comments individually (this is taking forever).

After I'm done with that, I'm going to change the name, contact info, etc and then try to randomize the page to the best of my ability (go through and like a bunch of random pages /friend request random people) since in sure they'll never actually delete my info so I'm going to make it as useless as possible.

There are things I'll miss about it of course but society got along quite well before Facebook so I'm sure I'll manage. The bigger hurdle will be quitting Instagram

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of people who are telling you they have deleted their Facebook are probably full of it.

I use messenger but rarely go on the actual Facebook site/app.

Oct 25, 2017
I use it for messenger and managing some business accounts. Nothing else nowadays really and can't wait for a replacement to dethrone that shit ASAP.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
Messenger, the Pub Group and the occasional event. Nothing else and I'm annoyed I even use it that much.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As I mentioned in other thread, I do and I'm pretty much going to need to for the future. I deal with digital content/publishing for my work, so unless everyone jumps ship from the platform or the company somehow fucks their entire system so ridiculously bad, I doubt my usage will cease full stop.

That and Messenger still comes in very handy for getting in touch with friends.

Deleted member 10611

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I use Messenger because everyone I know uses it and my phone service / SMS reliability is terrible. I never use Facebook proper for anything.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yes.

Something something no ethical consumption under capitalism, but seriously its practically essential as a college student.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
No, I don't. The only person who seemed to even care when I deleted my account was my mum, and that's because I'm a terrible son and never call.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Never used "Facebook" itself much. I average 1-2 posts a year or so and never liked anything apart from birthday wishes. I do use messenger daily, tho.