• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you willing to boycott ActiBlizzard?

• Yes

Votes: 2,919 69.8%
  • No

Votes: 851 20.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 413 9.9%

• Total voters

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I mean, there is no ethical consumption. That doesn't mean people shouldn't protest this. It's just kinda funny that people seem to only care when it directly affects them, and supporting murderous regimes is a secondary concern.
Sorry, gonna jump back in one last time.

You're trying to skirt around it, but you're doing exactly what this argument always leads to: shaming people for their outrage by pointing out alleged hypocrisy and gauding people to reconsider their position as a result. You're just doing it in a way that allows for plausible deniability because you didn't outright say they shouldn't boycott or protest.

Everyone draws a line somewhere, and for some, how a company markets their product is not of any import, but direct consumer impact does. Not all actions can be weighted as equal as you suggested they should be.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Possibly, but isn't the point of boycotting to remove revenue that they'd otherwise have received?

To remove potential sales.

And potentially Blizzard could hypothetically be making a new game that would appeal to you, potentially.

And you're boycotting now to prevent them to receiving that potential sales.

Don't worry about it.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Make the Blizzcon night elf Symm skin purchasable in-game with coins, and all will be forgiven Blizzard.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
I personally don't begrudge anyone unwilling to boycott over this, I don't mind... well, I do mind, but it's your business, so whatever, but those of you who are gloating about your decision to do so are acting like arseholes and pieces of shit.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're trying to skirt around it, but you're doing exactly what this argument always leads to: shaming people for their outrage by pointing out alleged hypocrisy and gauding people to reconsider their position as a result. You're just doing it in a way that allows for plausible deniability because you didn't outright say they shouldn't boycott or protest.
I'm not doing that at all, you're reading too much into it or you're unable to distinguish a nuanced position from a whataboustist "well everything is bad so nothing matters" stance. I don't want to rehash what's already been said but it's covered in this post which I didn't write but fully co-sign: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ar...upport-hong-kong.145753/page-15#post-25283352

Puru

Oct 28, 2017
I'll still buy the games i'm interested in, which is like 1 every xx years at this point.

WolfForager

Oct 27, 2017
No, Modern Warfare looks like it'll be the only game I'm going to get before the end of the year. Need me a good FPS.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
I do not play Blizzard games but even if I did I do not think a boycott would amount to anything.

My Huwai phone I'm quite fond of is from China, my switch is made in China and I am not going to ask the owners of my local fast food restaurant/Chinese restaurant if they are pro Hong Kong

kevsthumbs

Mar 5, 2018
I recently resubscribed for classic and was enjoying that.

Yesterday I cancelled by subscription, uninstalled all their games.

Easy decision.

MILKGOLOLBAD

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 5, 2019
I just recently bought my first COD game due to wanting to try blackout. But otherwise it'd be really easy for me to boycott - they butchered starcraft, butchered diablo, don't like overwatch or heroes of the storm, grew tired of hearthstone. The only thing I'd have to cut is watching Kolento's streams, but he seems to have gone AWOL anyhow.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Absolutely. I don't really buy either of their games anyway but was interested in Diablo 3 and Overwatch for Switch, will likely get neither if nothing changes

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
Cancelled my WoW sub yesterday. Won't be buying anymore of their games or resubbing until they reverse course, which I don't anticipate happening anytime soon (or ever).

I'm not going to delete my account as I would like the option of returning to WoW someday, assuming Blizz stop sucking.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
Yes. Won't buy Overwatch Switch, and now trying to cancel my Blizzard account.

Human rights are more important than my games.

Omeganex9999

Oct 25, 2017
London
I'm really happy Destiny 2 isn't Activision Blizzard anymore. I will never pay for their games anymore (as in, still playing them if I get a review code). I would love to extend my boycott of China to everything else but is that even possible?

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I'm not doing that at all, you're reading too much into it or you're unable to distinguish a nuanced position from a whataboustist "well everything is bad so nothing matters" stance. I don't want to rehash what's already been said but it's covered in this post which I didn't write but fully co-sign: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ar...upport-hong-kong.145753/page-15#post-25283352
Yeah...nah, there isn't really any nuance to attempted shaming here. Your argument was used multiple times over the course of this thread alone and the very simple rebuttal is the same as always. People do it because it's the right thing to do.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
Mildly intrigued at Diablo III and Overwatch for Switch, but never enough a nudge to buy them. This kinda sealed the deal on any thought of buying them

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Nah. The issue is so niche that their business won't be affected. Like nobody who is casually playing Diablo or overwatch or call of duty is going to know about this.

plus, I've been on the internet fora while and there's literally been a boycott of every major publisher. If I was true to my word I'd never play another game again

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't give money to either Activision or Blizzard right now so it really doesn't count as a boycott for me to not buy their stuff.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
The comment is disgusting - I said nothing about the person. Choosing your entertainment above everything else, then posting that fact for the whole world to see, is in fact, a disgusting comment to make.
Why ask the question if you don't want an answer lmao. I guess it's way easier to just lie and get moral brownie points while enjoying whatever the hell I want, like boycottcallofduty.jpg

I'm excited to see the 70% drop in sales that ActiBlizz is gonna take given the amount of people who are boycotting their games....
Except the majority of boycotters didn't buy their shit anyway, so it is an easy and hollow gesture.

Either way, this is ResetEra, where one's entire value is predicated on one's willingness to not buy entertainment products based on the strict moral codes of people with no interest in those products.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
3innty5cmjr31.jpg

Pride of "our country". I'm out.

rumbling

Mar 22, 2018
No. Not just because of this. I think Blizzard has handled this very poorly. I expected more of them. However for me to actually boycott they need to fuck up even more, I still see this as a one time mistake.

They must find a long term solution to this and the big question will be how they want to do E-sports in the future. Correct me if I am wrong but the people producing/casting these events are employed by Blizzard? I honestly see a problem with Blizzard employees hiding behind a desk when things get "political" - obviously they were put in a very hard situation but they need to at least try to disarm it.

Edit: I failed to make my point. I hope there is a solution for e-sports at Blizzard - but I cant see a way to handle a situation like this that doesnt hurt them (only ways to handle it that hurt them less). They would be better of without direct involvement in e-sports like the majority of game devs. I hope I am wrong because I like e-sports.

Last edited:

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Damn, I reported a very clear Chinese troll with the forum tools, and got banned. Good fucking lord. Blizzard has gone full tilt fascist supporters. This is nuts.

lactatingduck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And who in this thread has even been mentioning an alternative? Until people start asking for the government to do something to intervene in China's problematic issues nothing will happen but companies bunkering down and making it clear to employees that no one does or says anything contraversial. Going after Blizzard feels good, but it doesn't actually address the issue which is that the world governments should have levied sanctions against China long ago. As it is sure Blizzard rightfully gets a lot of blow back, but the rest of the US companies continue business as usual with the Chinese government as long as they can keep their heads down. The fact that Disney and other domestic companies even do business with China should be just a big a deal as Blizzard getting caught trying to appease them in the first place. The world is addicted to cheap Chinese goods, and are loath to do anything that upsets the status quo.
Again, not an either/or. People are and have been calling for greater sanctions on China since far before this happened and these events have only intensified those calls.

This is a video game forum, which means the solutions we talk about will be through the perspective of gaming. No one is saying this is the only or best way to achieve our goals, but it is another way in which we can highlight the issues and make our grievances visible.

Pressure on corporations leads to pressure on the government and vice versa. Turn these companies into champions for the cause as the their only repentance.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
I'll continue my boycott until Blizzard walks back those absurd punishments on Blitzchung and the casters. If they don't walk it back then I am done with the company for good.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, I'm not playing anything by them right now anyway (WoW Classic was fun for a few months but I'm letting my subscription expire) but definitely jumping into Warcraft 3 and Diablo 4 when they come out.

What Blizzard did sucks but what else is new, China is one of their biggest markets so they're going to bow down to the Chinese Government or they'll get banned. All corporations are pieces of shit only interested in their profits.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, it's quite easy for me as they aren't making any games I'm interested in, anyway. So technically, I've been boycotting them for years :p.

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
I was really, really, really looking forward to Overwatch on Switch but if everyone else is taking the boycott seriously, as appears to be the case, I'd only be throwing money away now anyway.

If I do go ahead and buy it, though, I'll not be discussing it here out of shame unless Blizzard finds a way to atone within the next week.

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I'm ahead of the game.
My newest Blizzard game is Warcraft3 Battle chest and Activision's is Modern Warfare 2.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I was really, really, really looking forward to Overwatch on Switch but if everyone else is taking the boycott seriously, as appears to be the case, I'd only be throwing money away now anyway.

If I do go ahead and buy it, though, I'll not be discussing it here out of shame unless Blizzard finds a way to atone within the next week.
It isn't terrible if you want to keep playing their games because they make you happy. It only is if you also go out of your way make it public that you don't care at all about what happened. So I think you're fine.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California

Don't ever let this forum or any other, dictate how you live and enjoy your life. Forums can be extremely toxic and one sided.

We can't ignore what's going on in China or others countries with human rights problem. Be mindful and respectful of the topic and you will be alright. Play your games.

Human rights violations, unfortunately, are all over the gaming industry.

Last edited:

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
There will be a huge playerbase for Overwatch on the Switch, especially at launch, so I'd not worry too much about that if it is your primary concern.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
*raises hand*

Well, I give a fuck, and it's the only opinion here that matters to me. Thank you, and I'll probably buy 4 when that's released.

Oh, I also dropped the money on that Crash/Spyro Humble Bundle. More to the backlog pile!

Why would you brag about having zero principles? That shit's just sad.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Absolutely - I'm going to uninstall everything Blizzard related on my PC and PS4. I was definitely going to get Warcraft 3 Reforged and maybe even the new COD but not anymore. I'm done with this company until they change.

Human rights are 1000% more important to me than playing games.

Palidoozy

Concept Artist at Maxis Texas/EA
Verified
Sep 17, 2019
Austin, Texas
I was considering getting back into WoW, especially down the line if they introduce cross-faction gameplay. I'm not a very social person, so I get a lot of social interaction from MMOs. And cross-faction gameplay has kind of been my dream for that game, and it feels like they're building up to that with the recent stuff.

I will not be anymore. I would be vaguely more understanding had they just banned the player for 12 months (though I'd still think that's shitty) but the measures they went were cruel. I'll play other games.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
I've stopped playing Hearthstone even though the autumn event is going on right now. Shame because I'm missing free packs but oh well!

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
The odds of me subscribing back to WoW (left during Pandaria) fell from 2% to 0%. Not playing hearthstone, had fleeting thoughts about getting Legacy of the Void since I never finished the trilogy but this controversy is enough for me to not go through with it. Might play D3, but they already have my money for this.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I'm really annoyed I bought a 3 month sub to classic not even a week before this shitshow started. It'll save money I said.