• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you willing to boycott ActiBlizzard?

• Yes

Votes: 2,919 69.8%
  • No

Votes: 851 20.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 413 9.9%

• Total voters

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
I was thinking about getting OW for the Switch (that gyro aim), but I'm not touching their products anymore.

Anyone know of a pro-HK charity to send the money I would've spend on OW to?

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I unfortunately don't have an ActivisionBlizzard game that I am currently playing that I can boycott. I'll avoid them in the future, no doubt.

Monumma

Oct 25, 2017
If they start pulling the same shit, you bet I will.

They (Tencent) are the ones doing this shit btw.

They are the ones with the right of the NBA in China.
They are the ones that own blizzard.
They are the ones that own league of legends, where the caster abbreviated the full name of the Hong Kong team that just played the qualifiers for world (Hong Kong Attitude), decided not to air the winner's interview live, but on a big tape delay, and on the dedicated subreddit are now removing every post about it.

These situations only have 1 company in common, you bet that they will force this policy everywhere.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be honest and say no. Blizzard games, name overwatch, makes up 90% of video games that I play/have played for the past 3 years. It's still an amazing time with my friends and I won't stop playing it. I don't buy loot boxes like ever since that first year so that's something?

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
No because if you're boycotting Activision/Blizz you'd also have to boycott everything Tencent related. Which is nearly impossible.

Also Overwatch is a terrible addiction I can't resist.

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017
No new purchases. OWL is a more complicated question since their players are in the same position that that Hearthstone pro are in; completely dependent on Blizzard for the career path they've dedicated themselves to for multiple years. I won't be buying merch, and the instant I hear of any bullshit from either a player or an org that team is blacklisted. And so help me if there's more horseshit from the CCP coming out of the homestands in China, I might have to escalate further.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Given that I keep materially supporting a dictatorship due to buying so many goods manufactured in China I have a hard time saying yes. It'd be easy enough to boycott them, but it'd also be a very hollow gesture.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
People should protest at Blizzcon. Get everyone to wear a gas mask.

That'll look great when they pan the camera to do crowd shots.

The look on the Blizzard's devs and execs faces will be priceless during the Q&A with the crowd.

Red Shirt guy should go and wear a mask too.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
It's relatively easy for me to do so (I haven't touched Overwatch in a year and already beat Sekiro) but absolutely. Fuck em

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
Easiest decision I've made today. Deleted my account with thousands of hours played across Overwatch, Hearthstone, WoW, Diablo and StarCraft.

Jun 20, 2019
They (Tencent) are the ones doing this shit btw.

They are the ones with the right of the NBA in China.
They are the ones that own blizzard.
They are the ones that own league of legends, where the caster abbreviated the full name of the Hong Kong team that just played the qualifiers for world (Hong Kong Attitude), decided not to air the winner's interview live, but on a big tape delay, and on the dedicated subreddit are now removing every post about it.

These situations only have 1 company in common, you bet that they will force this policy everywhere.
Tencent does not own Blizzard.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
I am, but (un)fortunately I have not purchased anything from Activision-blizzard since the first expansion for StarCraft 2. So my boycott is not worth much.

I suppose I'll never buy Sekiro now though, which was on my list. Sorry From.

lactatingduck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Been waiting for a sale to get some people diablo 3 on Switch to okay together and was gonna get Overwatch on Switch but not now. I'm good. They make great games but it's not hard for me to play something else instead.

For anyone who's not fired up about placating China, they've been murdering prisoners/Muslims for their organs. This is not your ordinary "company doesn't like thing I like."

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't bought a Blizzard game in years so technically, I would be boycotting nothing. Its not like they're releasing a bunch of titles recently besides their annual CoD.
Dropping Hearthstone for sure though and barely played OW so those are easy. Not getting Sekiro. My hands are tied FROM.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really get the "I already didn't like the company and wasn't gonna buy anything from them anytime soon anyway so this is easy" posts.

Marco_Tovarich

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Blizzard for sure.

Not sure Activision had any saying in this though. If confirmed I also boycott them (was really looking forward to the new Call of Duty, as I loved Infinite Warfare and it's made by the same team).

Ducarmel

Oct 25, 2017
Sekiro is the only thing i have played from them recently, looking at the list of games they dev/publish it aint hard for me to boycott.

Sekiro 2 looks like I wont play it if they unfortunately publish it in NA.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
The last Acti/Blizz game I bought was Overwatch at launch. Before that, I have no idea. Nothing really changes for me.

EDIT: No, I forgot about Sekiro.

Still, they don't have anything that interests me

Kayotix

Oct 25, 2017
i own every CE of all the games they have made (Blizzard), i just cancelled my 15th Anniversary CE.

I was a HUGE Blizzard fan, this really made me do a double take about them. I doubt my action will do anything but personally i feel better about it.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
Sure am. I don't buy many ActiBlizz products to begin with, and the one I was interested in (CTR) doesn't matter all that much to me.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope. I'm still going to buy Warcraft 3 reforged when it launches.

And at this time I'm going to hold on to my TCEHY shares.

From an International business standpoint they're seemingly doing what's best for business, and as businesses that's what they should be doing.

Last edited:

TRU

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
This is like the new "COD phosphorus" controversy of the week. A bunch of people are mad about something they didn't know they were mad about yesterday, nor did they give any thought about the controversy until it was time to be "woke up" by the media/social media and be mad/upset because its the right thing to do.

If you want to boycott ActiBlizzard because you are now all of sudden upset about the Chinese Government's policies/practices then throw away all of your clothes, cell phones, computers, gaming systems, office supplies, furniture, beauty products, pet supplies, etc. because you are the problem. By consuming all of those products your entire life you are supporting a communist regime.

Even if you boycotted Activision, you are still spending thousands of dollars a year supporting the Chinese Govt. by buying goods that they make, thus keeping their economy rolling.

If you want to be "for really real woke", then boycott everything you own and find products that China doesn't make.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I hope you are not posting this from a smartphone, unless you are a hypocrite.
D0W6C05UYAAeb49.jpg

Jun 20, 2019
This is like the new "COD phosphorus" controversy of the week. A bunch of people are mad about something they didn't know they were mad about yesterday, nor did they give any thought about the controversy until it was time to be "woke up" by the media/social media and be mad/upset because its the right thing to do.

If you want to boycott ActiBlizzard because you are now all of sudden upset about the Chinese Government's policies/practices then throw away all of your clothes, cell phones, computers, gaming systems, office supplies, furniture, beauty products, pet supplies, etc. because you are the problem. By consuming all of those products your entire life you are supporting a communist regime.

Even if you boycotted Activision, you are still spending thousands of dollars a year supporting the Chinese Govt. by buying goods that they make, thus keeping their economy rolling.

If you want to be "for really real woke", then boycott everything you own and find products that China doesn't make.
Or you can just boycott because of the specific action mentioned in the OP.