• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you willing to boycott ActiBlizzard?

• Yes

Votes: 2,919 69.8%
  • No

Votes: 851 20.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 413 9.9%

• Total voters

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For context, head to the link below:

So after I woke up today, I was pondering what I could do in a meaningful way to boycott Blizzard. My issue being that not buying another Activision/Blizzard game and uninstalling the launcher would not be very effective. At this point, I feel like it would be more symbolic than actually effectively communicating that I feel punishing esports players for their support of Hong Kong is beyond wrong.

So aside from discussions the proper way to boycott, my question is - Will you?

I don't think anyone is required to do so, but I am curious the thoughts and takes that Era users have on this subject.

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
Dunno. Not like anything matters.

Evil will always win as it has always been since the start of time.

Nothing matters.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
100% already decided against Overwatch on Switch and Modern Warfare, both of which I was immensely looking forward to and am definitely no longer interested in.

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but it's not like they had anything I was planning on playing anyways. I will uninstall the Blizzard app i guess

Oct 31, 2017
Yes. As you say, deleting the launcher isn't much of a protest, but I've done it for what it's worth and won't be buying anything from then.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I'd be too weak to resist a hypothetical Activision-published Sekiro 2, probably :(

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
Yep - I've been disappointed with Blizzard for a while but now I'm officially done unless there's a major course correction by the time Diablo 4 is out

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Doing so is super easy for me. I have everything uninstalled. Only real thing of note that I need to remember is that Acti published Sekiro, so I won't be getting it to try for this year's GOTY.

Wouldn't go so far as to delete my accounts though. I feel like that's stabbing myself in the foot: as long as they know I'm not giving them any revenue currently, that's a solid display.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
I don't think I've bought an Activision-Blizzard game since... the Warcraft 3 expansion? Mostly because I never saw anything from them that I wanted.

Changing my buying habits to boycott them will not exactly be difficult here. But I can try.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely 100%. ActiBlizzard just freed up the $15/mo I was about to drop on classic wow

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I can. I actually live across from the Chinese consulate here and I see the protests there.

It's easy to give up, but that's what they want.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
yes, I think this is the most disgusting thing any game company has done to date. They are choosing sides.
You cheat on one of their games? 3 months later you get a slap on the wrist or ban if it was too much. You try to stand for democracy in your seconds on the spotlight? "instant ban, no money for you - rot in hell".

However I have no way of boycotting them, I only own Overwatch but I haven't played it in 2 years, it's not installed and neither is their launcher, I've already bought their Humble Bundle since before this happened, so not much to do there. I can only think of spreading the news and also, I was going to give away a COD WWII code but I don't want to promote them anymore so I'll be keeping the code and I've no idea what to do with it lol
It's easy to give up, but that's what they want.
This.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The poll should really be: if you're actively playing an Activision/Blizzard game, will you stop?

Because it's easy to say you will boycott if you;re not invested.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The poll should really be: if you're actively playing an Activision/Blizzard game, will you stop?

Very true. I am not actively playing anything from them so super easy. But I won't jump back into overwatch when there's more stuff and I wont buy new games.

OP
OP

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

you do not need to be actively invested to say whether or not you will boycott. Tons of people learn about some wack shit for a product they don't use and being conscious about it regardless of experience with it is a win in my book.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes but it's not exactly a stretch for me. I don't buy their games, although I was looking at Diablo III. If it was a company like Nintendo, SE or Konami I don't think I'd be principled enough to boycott, if I'm being honest with myself.

Jun 20, 2019
To those wondering what to do in response and who feel just deleting a launcher isn't enough of a statement, or who wish to significantly distance themselves from Blizzard for moral reasons, there is a procedure for deleting your account which will erase your information and permanently remove access from any games you've purchased.

I'm considering whether I will do this. I've already decided to stop any new purchases or subscriptions for a significant time.

Cuboid 64

Oct 28, 2017
I bought that Humble Bundle and CTR recently, but that's about it. I certainly don't plan to give them more money any time soon.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Dunno. Not like anything matters.

Evil will always win as it has always been since the start of time.

Nothing matters.
ErbbzqO.gif

Fuchs

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Uninstalled the launcher and won't buy Overwatch for Switch. They won't get any money from me.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
It's pretty easy since they don't really make or publish any games that interest me anymore.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Funny, I gave up all of blizzards games in the last year (resubbed for wow classic, played it for a few days, and that's it), and I don't like the majority of games Activision makes... So this is a pretty easy boycott to do.

Fuck actibliz, fuck China.

Rahfiki

Oct 28, 2017
Yup absolutely. Kinda done with them as a company tbh. Cancelled my Modern Warfare pre-order when the news hit about heavy mtx and that year-long exclusivity deal and uninstalled Overwatch and Battle.Net from my PC/Ps4 this morning.

KatieKatsup

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely. Which sucks, because I was really enjoying WoW classic. But can't in good consciousness support them anymore.