• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you willing to boycott ActiBlizzard?

• Yes

Votes: 2,919 69.8%
  • No

Votes: 851 20.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 413 9.9%

• Total voters

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
The only worthwhile bit of that post. Doing anything is better than doing nothing.

"There is no ethical consumption under Capitalism", but that doesn't mean give up and don't fight it, it means fight for systemic change as well as trying to make your voice heard in smaller ways..

Nothing about my post suggested giving up and not doing anything.

My point is that voting with your wallet is a really minor and ultimately personal choice. Buying or not buying products isn't activism.

Tamazoid

Oct 28, 2017
Nothing about my post suggested giving up and not doing anything.

My point is that voting with your wallet is a really minor and ultimately personal choice. Buying or not buying products isn't activism.

If you have an organised boycott, sure it is. That becomes activism, you just have tor reach critical mass - which is the difficult thing to do.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Full disclosure: I don't play any of their current games as a matter of taste and habits.

Now there is principle involved.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
In most threads like this when asking about boycotts, usually only 20% of the votes say they would.

To have an overwhelming majority tells me that Blizzard truly pissed off the hornets nest, and/or their output is so insignificant that people have no problems boycotting them.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
The only game of theirs I've ever bought is Diablo 3, I won't be boycotting them so much as continuing to ignore their existence.

Deleted member 10551

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This isn't a thing. That's supporting the status quo, which is a political stance.

You're right. That said, I don't expect companies to go all in on every single little thing. If Blizzard had done muting/wrist-slap, I would have been unhappy but would have tolerated it. More likely since I don't follow Hearthstone at all, I wouldn't have even known.

They went beyond that, they took an active and abhorrent political stance. If my favorite company did such a stance, I'd be done with them too.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In most threads like this when asking about boycotts, usually only 20% of the votes say they would.

To have an overwhelming majority tells me that Blizzard truly pissed off the hornets nest, and/or their output is so insignificant that people have no problems boycotting them.
not so insignificant when you consider the activision side of the equation, which a lot of people seem to be forgetting about.

the constant noise and bad PR is way more important to them than a boycott that probably won't reach a significant volume anyway, so that's fine. people need to keep making noise and not forget about this come blizzcon. they will care when investors get antsy about a constant stream of bad PR.

Deleted member 3888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would if I actually buy blizzard games. Maybe if acti release sekiro 2 I'll have a game to actually boycott.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
If you have an organised boycott, sure it is. That becomes activism, you just have tor reach critical mass - which is the difficult thing to do.

I gave an example in my first post; I try to stick to and support the tenets of BDS, but that doesn't make my choices activism. It's expressing solidarity with a movement. I am not directly involved and I'm risking nothing.

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
People need to stand with Hong Kong and not buy Modern Warfare, not just boycott Blizzard. Y'all know this game will become a microtransaction infested clusterfuck of p2w anyway.

RenorMirshann

Avenger
Nov 6, 2017
Poland
Yes, and I will be requesting an account deletion (I played a lot of Diablo 3 at launch). It may be meaningless, but they might see a drop in their userbase.

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'll probably throw Blizzard into blacklist as well. Yes, there is even worse companies blahblah I should be more proactive and do other things blahblah, but simply not purchasing their products are easiest way for me to "matter"; bite me as I have blacklisted other companies for less.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't purchased a Blizzard product since WoW, so no I won't support them. But not just for HK, but also what they are doing to the Uighur. That applies to China as a whole.

The same goes for the Kashmiris by India. It shouldn't just be games as a uniting factor.

smashballTaz

Oct 29, 2017
I have requested my Blizzard account to be deleted, vocally support Hong Kong liberation on my social media, and definitely won't be tempted to buy Overwatch on Switch any time soon.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think any other video game company with high stakes in china would have reacted differently. Does this make actiblizzards behaviour better? No. But it is sadly the reality we are stuck in.

now, I don't buy acitivion games anyway.
blizzard games? I'll probably continue buying them.

I'll continue to support Hong Kong and the Muslim minority in mainland China that gets slaughtered in other ways. But how I do it is not the business of strangers on the internet.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
I would say yes, but I lost interest in Blizzard agmes anyways, so this boycott isn't very hard to adopt... Diablo 4 won't be out before years ad I am not even sure it will be good..So I ca say I am boycotting but I barely have any interest/respect for them anyways.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I'm not that interested in Blizzard's properties anymore, so it's no problem for me to support the boycott. Screw them for trying to silence this.

Mitch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Put 8+ days played into Classic since its launch, plus I had my eye on the latest 8.3 patch for BFA.

After reading into this and becoming as informed as possible, I cancelled my sub and uninstalled everything. I've held Blizzard to an extremely high standard since the mid 2000s, so seeing them stoop this low mere months after the huge company wide layoffs has left a really bad taste in my mouth.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
OW is my first Blizzard game and I absolutely love it. Played every season of comp, bought on multiple platforms, go to OWL events and have merch, etc.

But I definitely need to disconnect from it after this. No game is worth supporting the Chinese regime.

DVCY201

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. I was honestly looking to get more into their games, but I won't now. Now I can't help but feel all their "progressiveness" is manufactured.

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
I've been boycotting Blizzard since 2005.

Actually I'm just not interested in anything they make, so it's not really boycotting...

Oct 25, 2017
There HAS to be a word for the "Oh you boycott this? Well, are you aware that you would also have to boycott THESE?! I don't do anything at all because I am very smart" attitude that pops up constantly in threads like these.

Maxximo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never played nor I'm interested in their games but I have a VERY small percentage of my portfolio invested in acti ATVI(opened near minimum and added along the way, bought because I see potential in e-sports). I'm actually really curious to see where this is going.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
You Think They would not do that?
They Want money from china not get kicked out.
When another company does something similar people will do the same to them. Painting every company that sells product in China as equivalent is not helpful. I do think they should be pressured to not do so as much as can feasibly be done as long as this kind of oppression takes place, but also that's an incredible pipe dream goal that will never happen. That also doesn't mean that boycotting an entertainment product is meaningless just because it's much harder to do the much harder thing.

Tomasdk

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
No, there's no big company ot there that wuldn't do the same, business in China is more important to them than any one person. Is it wrong? Yes. Will it change? Doubtful.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
The only thing I have ever boycotted in video games is the Epic Games Store... But I think Im gonna discontinue my sub for WoW Classic. It sucks and I really want to keep playing it, but ActiBlizzard doesn't deserve my money right now and there are plenty of other things to play. 5.1 for FF14 for one!

No. I still want to play Overwatch.
To be fair they already got your money so playing the game you already own isn't really a big deal anyway.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I never played any Blizzard games so I don't really think it counts as boycott, but I definitely respect them less now.

OP
OP

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I said undecided yesterday but I'm absolutely saying Fuck Blizzard and Fuck China and Free Hong Kong reading the statement by Blizzard on Weibo.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I voted no after somehow completely misreading the title. Meant yes though. Not buy overwatch on the switch in a few days. They can fuck off.

ChrisEnri

Banned
Mar 30, 2019
So i pre-purchased Overwatch on Switch. Is there a chance to get a refund for it from Nintendo? I don't know anything about their refund policy.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Canceling that wow account after busting my ass in classic to get my mount was painful lol...but I can't give these people my money anymore. God dammit blizz why do you guys have to be dicks.