• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you willing to boycott ActiBlizzard?

• Yes

Votes: 2,919 69.8%
  • No

Votes: 851 20.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 413 9.9%

• Total voters

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not boycotting because I don't buy or play any of their games. But if I was planning to buy or was playing their games then I'd stop because why should I give a fuck about this company? I don't need games in my life. It doesn't inconvenience me in the slightest to not play their games so in a way you could lump me in with the boycott crowd I suppose.

Dispatch

Oct 25, 2017
I was undecided, but after reading more about the situation, I can't support Blizzard. I was looking forward to the Overwatch Halloween event, but informed my buddy who I duo with that I can't play it anymore.
So, I"m one of the undecided votes, but I'm now a firm, "Yes".

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
The premise I see used wherein doing nothing but shaking your head is the only appropriate action and response is quite frankly insidious and subversive. It pretends to care when the tone and intent says otherwise. It insinuates that might makes right and that unless you have massive influence, you should keep your head down and do as you're told. Fuck that argument.

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I guess I don't actively play Blizzard's games on a regular basis anymore (and I haven't touched anything new labelled Activision for years), so 'boycott' may be the wrong word for me... I was definitely ready to give Overwatch on Switch a chance because I loved that game on PC, but like fuck am I giving them my money now. They can swivel.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Already uninstalled Hearthstone. It was literally the only video game I still play, but I'm not really sad to let it go. The financial model felt exploitative and disrespectful anyways.

Scerick

Oct 29, 2017
ylgxLX5.png

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i can't boycott what i don't buy in the first place.

this being said, from a business point of view i can understand actibliz's decision...isn't china an enormous market for them?

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
I never buy Blizzard games, and the only recent games I've bought from Activision this gen is Crash/Spyro trilogy and CTR. And I'll probably buy the next thing those studios put out as well. Other than that, not really.

Jun 25, 2019
I love overwatch, it's my favorite game to play after I get from work to unwind. But I can't support Blizzard anymore.

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Honestly if they make another Diablo I'm all-in and will always be. I have no problem not giving them shit for anything right now, though.

Earthed

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Sep 26, 2019
I thought about jumping back into wow, but this has kinda sealed the deal about deciding against it.

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
I thought about jumping back into wow, but this has kinda sealed the deal about deciding against it.
Yeah, same for me. I WoW Classic was starting to claw its way back into my mind (haven't played since Cataclysm), and I was getting close to installing it. But not after this.

Morbius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really just tune out most of this stuff cause i feel like i have more pressing matters in my own life to deal with.

i just like to enjoy games and sports as an escape and a way to relax so no i wont be boycotting for those reasons, i dont need outside political stuff to really interfere with that.

Einherjer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Yes i just refunded Reforged and i planed to start classic next month with friends but we decided against it and i won't buy anything from Activision or Blizz again.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Let's do nothing until it changes, great plan
Maybe if we keep buying their games and do absolutely nothing they will change their mind
Nobody's saying do nothing, and on a personal if you feel a boycott is the best action, you absolutely should take it and be vocal about your decision. But boycotts have a history of being ineffective, and if the majority of the support you're getting comes from people who weren't buying those games to begin with, they're absolutely going to ignore it.

I admit to being a little compromised here, since I play WoW with a group of friends and have no real desire to stop doing that. I don't want to stop playing their games, but I absolutely want to do something to counteract this. The problem with voting with my wallet is that my wallet isn't significant enough for them to care.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
Definitely because its different if they have shares because thats just business but if you are letting that allow you to make shitty decisions an harm people through no fault of their own ( the two casters) then yeah not getting a penny from me they are making EA seem like nice guys by comparison

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I mean, it's literally what you said
No, because one is a political system and one is an economic system. I vote every election that I'm able to. You can draw parallels but they're not the same thing.

edit: to be clear, the main issue I have with drawing a parallel here is that they're being allowed to act this way because of the current political climate. The best way to force them to change would be through political action, and I would heavily support any candidate that would be making measures to sanction companies who act like this in the future, because anything I do personally wouldn't possibly be enough deterrent.

Oct 25, 2017
No, because one is a political system and one is an economic system. I vote every election that I'm able to. You can draw parallels but they're not the same thing.
And the difference in the act of "voting" is?
One is way more important than the other, no doubt. But the act of "voting" and the mindset of "I by myself can't change anything" is exactly the same.

Whether you "vote with your wallet" or vote in an election, your voice alone will never be enough. That's the point.
Of course it's more important to vote in an election than to, I dunno, not buy Battlefield VI because of Anthem or whatever.
If you don't care enough to stop playing WoW that's fine (I still use Steam despite a bunch of shit Valve has done) but don't frame it as "Me doing something probably wouldn't change anything, so I'm just not gonna do anything at all"

Vince-DiCola

Banned
May 22, 2019
Culloden
The only Blizzard game I've ever played is Overwatch (never owned a PC in my 35 years)
And I uninstalled that last month cos I just don't play it anymore.
I understand why they did what they did but I really don't think they should have done it.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
And the difference in the act of "voting" is?
One is way more important than the other, no doubt. But the act of "voting" and the mindset of "I by myself can't change anything" is exactly the same.

Whether you "vote with your wallet" or vote in an election, your voice alone will never be enough. That's the point.
Of course it's more important to vote in an election than to, I dunno, not buy Battlefield VI because of Anthem or whatever.
If you don't care enough to stop playing WoW that's fine (I still use Steam despite a bunch of shit Valve has done) but don't frame it as "Me doing something probably wouldn't change anything, so I'm just not gonna do anything at all"
My main point was that the loss of my money means nothing to them - not that I have no way to make any change. I fully support anyone who is organizing a boycott, and if any such measure actually does seem to be making a measurable impact I would definitely reconsider my position.

Oct 25, 2017
My main point was that the loss of my money means nothing to them - not that I have no way to make any change. I fully support anyone who is organizing a boycott, and if any such measure actually does seem to be making a measurable impact I would definitely reconsider my position.
Just like the loss of your vote alone doesn't mean anything to a political candidate

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Just like the loss of your vote alone doesn't mean anything to a political candidate
Sure, but I can still rally behind a candidate, take part in political action, stage and participate in protests. Even if I didn't vote, I could be an active participant in the political process.

I feel like we're going in circles here, and actually agree on more than we disagree?

Kitten Mittens

Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Nope. But I dont buy much of their stuff outside of Diablo games anyway. I also don't believe there's any conscienceless consumption. Everything I buy or watch hurts someone or something. I have no problem with anyone feeling like they should boycott them though. If I did, I'd also have to give up the NBA and NFL, and I won't be doing that.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
As long as there is no Sekiro 2, sure.
99% of their shit sucks.

Bookkoo

Apr 9, 2018
I don't agree with Blizzard for what they did, but I already purchased Overwatch on the switch when they announced it so I will likely try it out and play it and I regularly play Hearthstone on my breaks at work if I am being honest I do not see that changing. Though I did pick up eternal yesterday and that was fun!

But because of this I voted no, I did cancel my WoW sub though

Can we not insult people for being honest? Let's not turn this into an attack session

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I really was ever planning to buy another game from them again since they seem to be creatively bankrupt. The question is, do I still play OW even though they won't make a cent off of it since it's already been paid for years before? I definitely have no stomach to play the game currently.

Teddie28

Nov 2, 2017
I'm not buying anything else from them. Honestly I doubt current Blizzard has what it takes to make a good Diablo game anyway.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
i can't boycott what i don't buy in the first place.

this being said, from a business point of view i can understand actibliz's decision...isn't china an enormous market for them?

It's an important market but not actually all that much of their overall revenue. Something around 10%.

edgefusion

Oct 27, 2017
Not exactly boycott per se, more that I'm so utterly and completely appalled by them I don't think I could stomach seeing their logo on my screen anymore.