• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you willing to boycott ActiBlizzard?

• Yes

Votes: 2,919 69.8%
  • No

Votes: 851 20.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 413 9.9%

• Total voters

Dogenzaka

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 20, 2019
Yes, but it's easy for me as the only game of theirs I care about is Overwatch which I haven't properly played in a long time.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I love that this has remained at more or less 70% in agreement

Nakayumi

Nov 8, 2017
I unsubbed from WoW last month but was originally planning to go back to it again sometime later this year. After this shitstorm I uninstalled their launcher and removed their products. A shame too, 'cause part of me really wants to try 8:3, but I cannot in good faith support a company that abandons basic morals to a highly corrupt regime.

At this point the only way they can win me back is the make a public statement where they go back on what was previously said and apologize, reimburse and un-ban the casters and winner of the tournament. This at the very least would be a sign of good faith. Doubt they will though. In the coming days a half-assed excuse is likely all we'll get as they try to see if this all blows over.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
With Destiny 2 moving to Steam I uninstalled Battle.net completely on both of my computers. Fuck 'em.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
I have been a daily player of Hearthstone and Overwatch for some time, plus I've watched both Overwatch League and Hearthstone Grand Masters for hours and hours. My WoW account has nearly 10000 hours play time and I've spent thousands of dollars on Blizzard products, Blizzcon passes, and merch through the years.

And im done. Fuck em.

May 23, 2019
cyberspace
Hong Kong was the only Chinese territory that enjoyed basic freedoms and human rights that most enjoy in the west. Mainland China is attempting to suppress those values before the agreed upon reintegration year of 2055, where Hong Kong is no longer considered by China a separate state but part of mainland China.

Also you're not stupid. Not everyone is expected to be knowledgeable on things that happen on the other side of the planet.

Now I get it, then I guess (hope I get it) Hong Kong deserve its freedom.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Not if they ever make WarCraft 4. Other than that, avoiding their games should be pretty easy for me.

Wonderrade

The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I unsubbed from WoW last month but was originally planning to go back to it again sometime later this year. After this shitstorm I uninstalled their launcher and removed their products. A shame too, 'cause part of me really wants to try 8:3, but I cannot in good faith support a company that abandons basic morals to a highly corrupt regime.

At this point the only way they can win me back is the make a public statement where they go back on what was previously said and apologize, reimburse and un-ban the casters and winner of the tournament. This at the very least would be a sign of good faith. Doubt they will though. In the coming days a half-assed excuse is likely all we'll get as they try to see if this all blows over.

This is pretty much where im at

Jakke_Koala

Sep 28, 2018
Only ActiBlizz game i have is Sekiro and i'm gonna sell it.
Never really was interested in their games.
And will never buy another of them.
Fuck em

Free Hong Kong!

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Guess I'm not buying Sekiro or Warcraft 3 remake until there's change. I'll try to make sure I don't send any money their way. I kinda wanna start playing Mei in Overwatch and posting "Free Hong Kong." Wonder if I would get banned quickly.

EsqBob

Nov 7, 2017
People are clearly not sincere in these polls. If they were we should expect to see a lot more "undecided", because it's not a simple decision and probably requires more data, and "no", because it might be hard to accomplish for some.

I think we see this very big 70% "yes" response to the boycott because most feel very strongly, as I do, that the people of Hong Kong should be respected. So they think it's good to exaggerate the poll to pressure Activision. But Activision obviously know these numbers are bullshit and have way better ways of estimating the real numbers.

I think it's just sad to see a poll that would be awesome if the numbers were true being yet another waste of time.

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
havent played a Blizzard game in forever, and only recently got back into COD with BLOPS 4 and the MW beta. Was really looking forward to that game. But I will no longer be purchasing that.

Aug 16, 2019
UK
I usually find boycotting not worth it and kind of useless when the mainstream public is not with you.

But this time it's a waaaay greater cause than the usual VG ones, this time the public is following

Aug 12, 2019
People are clearly not sincere in these polls. If they were we should expect to see a lot more "undecided", because it's not a simple decision and probably requires more data, and "no", because it might be hard to accomplish for some.

I think we see this very big 70% "yes" response to the boycott because most feel very strongly, as I do, that the people of Hong Kong should be respected. So they think it's good to exaggerate the poll to pressure Activision. But Activision obviously know these numbers are bullshit and have way better ways of estimating the real numbers.

I think it's just sad to see a poll that would be awesome if the numbers were true being yet another waste of time.

I mean, you're on ResetERA. This poll was never going to be reflective of anything remotely close to the true population's stance on this issue given how much more in tune people are to ideas of injustice in the gaming world and our world in general.

lactatingduck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I can honestly tell you it was extremely easy for me to decide not to buy video games from a company that said they'll protect China and voiced support for a regime running concentration camps and murdering people for their organs. It's really really easy for me to not buy games from them.

I think you're right that blizzard won't take the hit this poll suggests but that's cuz people don't actually care about other people—not because it's not a simple decision to make.

kortvarsel

Avenger
Dec 11, 2017
Was just getting back into WoW Classic. Loved it.

But told my friends I couldn't do it, so canceled my sub with a lengthy explanation. They did too.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Honestly did not expect as many selfish cowards as we got in the poll. Glad to see that we still cleared 70% so that's something.

Fuck the people that voted no though. Unless you are just voting no because you don't buy any of their products anyway.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Anything is better than nothing and you've got to start somewhere.

Yes, I'd be so committed to fighting China that I'd be willing to boycott a US company who's games I very rarely buy while making no other changes to my lifestyle. What people really should be calling for are sanctions on China rather than expecting foreign companies to act against their best interests. But that would be more difficult than not buying or playing one company's video games.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
yup. until they come out with an apology and make good on this im done.

Its a shame. I really like diablo. I was really looking forward to diablo 4.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Honestly did not expect as many selfish cowards as we got in the poll. Glad to see that we still cleared 70% though.

Fuck the people that voted no though.
I don't have any issue with the percentage that voted no per se, so long as they have never participated in the other kinds of "censorship" discussions pertaining to creators changing their games to meet societal values of the market the game is selling in. We shouldn't have to suffer such blatant hypocrisy where indignation over "censorship" is limited to things that don't matter instead of things that do.
Sadly, I'm not convinced that the center of the Venn diagram of people who fought against censorship of creators over digital boobs et. al. and people who are willing to condone censorship against consumers is all that small.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's easy to turn your nose up at Call of Duty and the handful of life-consuming GaaS titles that Blizzard does. I suspect many will change their tune when Activision announces another Crash Bandicoot game or From Software title, though.

I was probably on my way out the door with WoW Classic, just because I can't seem to get friends to play it consistently or stay on the same servers.

Mr_DyZ

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
Sooo... How many of you who voted "yes" will be on Call of Duty with me in two weeks?

I know there are at least a few of you.

Brinksman

Oct 25, 2017
It's easy to turn your nose up at Call of Duty and the handful of life-consuming GaaS titles that Blizzard does. I suspect many will change their tune when Activision announces another Crash Bandicoot game or From Software title, though.

It's not like they haven't already turned Crash into a life-consuming GaaS as well. I'm with Hong Kong on this one.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
I was really split on what to do because i really like Overwatch but after they doubled down it made things easier. Still i hope they will change course but until then no more Overwatch for me. I also haven't bought Sekiro yet because of my stupidity, and now i won't get to play it as long as they continue to bow to China.

I wonder what their calculus is. I get that they value their profits from China but they had to anticipate that there would be a big backlash.

Oct 26, 2017
ylgxLX5.png
How can you file for a Refund? I can't find an option on the launcher.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
According to my game tracking app, I apparently have about 20 games in my wish list between now and the end of next year. If I take out all the Activision Blizzard titles and throw those reserves in the garbage, I'll have approximately... 20 games.

I don't think I'm helping the cause right.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
You can also keep an eye on Twitch stats to see how it affects the streaming side of things.

Yeah I have already been trying to watch that. I think there might be a slight dip in views? But not enough to actually make a big impact.

Then again the Twitch community has never been very politically correct or intelligent in the first place. So that might be a bad measuring stick lol

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
While I don't agree with Blizzard's stance I'm curious what people would expect them to do..
China is arguably their largest region in terms of revenue. If not revenue now then potential revenue as well as current player base. I couldn't find exact numbers online but it looks like for Overwatch and Warcraft, China has the most players.

If China is threatening to completely lock them out of their country it would be beyond devastating for them. Probably tank the entire company overnight.

Again, not agreeing with them but I'm trying to see their perspective. I'm sure the looming threat is why they chose to punish that guy so severly. I lighter punishing hoping that China would find that good enough probably wasn't worth the risk. Lets say they took it and China still demanded more and they had to comply, it would likely be an even worse backlash for cowtowing to China's specific demands.

So from their perspective, what does Blizzard do? I honestly can't see any outcome that makes sense outside of what they did. Things look bad now but people forget and move on. Look at Chic-Fil-A. Few years ago they were in deep shit and now they having record profits and are literally the highest rated fast food brand. People just don't care in the end and are more than willing to forget and will come back when they see something they like.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
Just a reminder to any MMO players who can't get into the other MMOs out there,

Project 1999 is an officially endorsed Everquest classic server that is launching their green server later this month which is what they've been running servers for years to build towards. P99 has one of the best communities and stable servers I've ever played on, and it's a private server with no cost. If you're looking for a 'rough leveling experience with RPG mechanics' you're about to make WoW classic look like Toontown.