• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you willing to boycott ActiBlizzard?

• Yes

Votes: 2,919 69.8%
  • No

Votes: 851 20.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 413 9.9%

• Total voters

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
Probably not. Blizzard games are definitely not for me but I want that Sekiro during the winter sale and Modern Warfare will be dope. Props to those who have the willpower for it though.

DeusOcha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Undecided for me. I already dropped my WoW sub (got back for Classic for one moth) due to retail's patch 8.2.5 killing any investment I had for the game so currently I'm not playing/paying for any Blizzard products at the moment.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I find it really disheartening that there is basically no mention of this or discussion about this in the WoW community thread on here. But I see alot of people in these Blizzard threads talking about cancelling their subs. So that is something I guess. I think I just expected a little more debate and discussion in the OTs as well instead of just business as usual.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
So I'll be honest and say that, until today, I was still planning on getting Modern Warfare in a few weeks. But the fact that nobody has the balls to release a statement, and now they are blocking people from deleting their accounts, it's all too much for me.

Will make getting The Outer Worlds (on the same date, no less!) that much easier.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
While I don't agree with Blizzard's stance I'm curious what people would expect them to do..
China is arguably their largest region in terms of revenue. If not revenue now then potential revenue as well as current player base. I couldn't find exact numbers online but it looks like for Overwatch and Warcraft, China has the most players.

If China is threatening to completely lock them out of their country it would be beyond devastating for them. Probably tank the entire company overnight.

Again, not agreeing with them but I'm trying to see their perspective. I'm sure the looming threat is why they chose to punish that guy so severly. I lighter punishing hoping that China would find that good enough probably wasn't worth the risk. Lets say they took it and China still demanded more and they had to comply, it would likely be an even worse backlash for cowtowing to China's specific demands.

So from their perspective, what does Blizzard do? I honestly can't see any outcome that makes sense outside of what they did. Things look bad now but people forget and move on. Look at Chic-Fil-A. Few years ago they were in deep shit and now they having record profits and are literally the highest rated fast food brand. People just don't care in the end and are more than willing to forget and will come back when they see something they like.
Yes I would rather they give up the China market entirely than just give in, in an ideal world. I would even be willing to accept some sort of euphemistic half measure, because I'm a realist. A full capitulation like we've seen here is just unacceptable. They've made their money and success off of liberalism in their home market and are now selling it out when a higher bidder comes along.

Even the NBA, who really bungled the past week, refused to apologise and came out in support of free speech. Now, I think they only did this when they realized they already lost and couldn't recover, but they look like saints compared to blizzard here.

This is going to keep happening. It was inevitable. Hong Kong is the first true new flash point in a while, but these companies were going to all have to choose between liberal values and authoritarianism eventually. If they want to pick the CPC, fine, but they should know there are real consequences back home. They may have put themselves in a position where they had no good business options, but that's their fault.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
There's nothing by Activision Blizzard that I planned on getting anytime soon, but if Diablo 4 hits and they're still being awful, it's going to be a pretty tough decision to make on my part :/

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
I would say YES but I feel like this answer doesn't hold much weight because there aren't currently any games in Blizzard's portfolio that interest me. Sadly I'm not confident my stance would stay the same if they announced a game that I was as interested in as some of the other titles at the top of my list.

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Easiest boycott ever. StarCraft 2 is trash, StarCraft HD is dead, never cared about WoW or Diablo. Overwatch looks like a tryhard TF2 so I never bothered and I'm not about to reevaluate.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Yes I would rather they give up the China market entirely than just give in, in an ideal world. I would even be willing to accept some sort of euphemistic half measure, because I'm a realist. A full capitulation like we've seen here is just unacceptable. They've made their money and success off of liberalism in their home market and are now selling it out when a higher bidder comes along.

Even the NBA, who really bungled the past week, refused to apologise and came out in support of free speech. Now, I think they only did this when they realized they already lost and couldn't recover, but they look like saints compared to blizzard here.

This is going to keep happening. It was inevitable. Hong Kong is the first true new flash point in a while, but these companies were going to all have to choose between liberal values and authoritarianism eventually. If they want to pick the CPC, fine, but they should know there are real consequences back home. They may have put themselves in a position where they had no good business options, but that's their fault.

All makes sense. Out of curiosity and taking taking my question literally. What would you do in the CEO's shoes knowing that you can't just close up shop in China without tanking the company.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the whole thing has made me not even want to load up anything from Blizzard, like it would just feel gross if I did. I refunded that Warcraft III Reforged preorder and really just don't feel like playing any Blizzard games. I guess that's that.

Nov 1, 2017
I find it really disheartening that there is basically no mention of this or discussion about this in the WoW community thread on here. But I see alot of people in these Blizzard threads talking about cancelling their subs. So that is something I guess. I think I just expected a little more debate and discussion in the OTs as well instead of just business as usual.

I haven't been mentioning it there because we got these threads and I've posted several times in different threads that directly focus on this whole mess. Just felt easy to come into these and post about it. My position? I don't think I can get rid of my account, I've been playing WoW for 15 years since vanilla, I'm pretty invested at this point. Played on and off for years. It's hard to just drop. That said I do want to see Blizzard take an absolute beating on this because they shouldn't be kneeling to China and I don't want to see Hong Kong crushed beneath it's heel either.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Overwatch feels like ages ago now, and I'm more than fine missing Diablo 4 at this point.

Was excited for the Warcraft 3 remaster, but if nothing changes, I'll skip that too.

The way they pounced on this, while playing helpless in the face of so much vileness of their communities, their priorities are made brazenly clear. When commentators look like they're ducking under their desk when those first comments were made, that is a disgusting place to be.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I haven't really bought any Activision or Blizzard games in a long, long, long time, so I have no issue with boycotting them at all.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I haven't been mentioning it there because we got these threads and I've posted several times in different threads that directly focus on this whole mess. Just felt easy to come into these and post about it. My position? I don't think I can get rid of my account, I've been playing WoW for 15 years since vanilla, I'm pretty invested at this point. Played on and off for years. It's hard to just drop. That said I do want to see Blizzard take an absolute beating on this because they shouldn't be kneeling to China and I don't want to see Hong Kong crushed beneath it's heel either.
I guess I can understand that even if I don't agree with it.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine knowingly giving this piece of shit company money after this disgraceful showing.

lori

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who was definitely interested in Diablo II HD and Diablo 4, absolutely. I've boycotted other companies over less.

lactatingduck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I'd be so committed to fighting China that I'd be willing to boycott a US company who's games I very rarely buy while making no other changes to my lifestyle. What people really should be calling for are sanctions on China rather than expecting foreign companies to act against their best interests. But that would be more difficult than not buying or playing one company's video games.
Or maybe we do all of those things instead of pretending it's an either/or? I'm sorry you think your contributions would be so meaningless. Every bit matters.

lactatingduck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While I don't agree with Blizzard's stance I'm curious what people would expect them to do..
China is arguably their largest region in terms of revenue. If not revenue now then potential revenue as well as current player base. I couldn't find exact numbers online but it looks like for Overwatch and Warcraft, China has the most players.

If China is threatening to completely lock them out of their country it would be beyond devastating for them. Probably tank the entire company overnight.

Again, not agreeing with them but I'm trying to see their perspective. I'm sure the looming threat is why they chose to punish that guy so severly. I lighter punishing hoping that China would find that good enough probably wasn't worth the risk. Lets say they took it and China still demanded more and they had to comply, it would likely be an even worse backlash for cowtowing to China's specific demands.

So from their perspective, what does Blizzard do? I honestly can't see any outcome that makes sense outside of what they did. Things look bad now but people forget and move on. Look at Chic-Fil-A. Few years ago they were in deep shit and now they having record profits and are literally the highest rated fast food brand. People just don't care in the end and are more than willing to forget and will come back when they see something they like.
Stand up against concentration camps and murdering people for their organs is what blizzard should do. Corporations and business are made up of people and can only do what the people that compose them decide to do.

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can we not insult people for being honest? Let's not turn this into an attack session
The comment is disgusting - I said nothing about the person. Choosing your entertainment above everything else, then posting that fact for the whole world to see, is in fact, a disgusting comment to make.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Or maybe we do all of those things instead of pretending it's an either/or? I'm sorry you think your contributions would be so meaningless. Every bit matters.

And who in this thread has even been mentioning an alternative? Until people start asking for the government to do something to intervene in China's problematic issues nothing will happen but companies bunkering down and making it clear to employees that no one does or says anything contraversial. Going after Blizzard feels good, but it doesn't actually address the issue which is that the world governments should have levied sanctions against China long ago. As it is sure Blizzard rightfully gets a lot of blow back, but the rest of the US companies continue business as usual with the Chinese government as long as they can keep their heads down. The fact that Disney and other domestic companies even do business with China should be just a big a deal as Blizzard getting caught trying to appease them in the first place. The world is addicted to cheap Chinese goods, and are loath to do anything that upsets the status quo.

rocket

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't boycotting Blizzard domestically only makes them even more reliant on foreign markets, hence making them even more susceptible to foreign policies/pressure?

Either way, Blizzard is caught in a tough place where they are dead for doing nothing and they are dead for doing something.

Oct 26, 2017
Yup. I really enjoy Diablo but I can skip it. Hopefully we can start flagging Blizzard games in the sales and release threads same as THQ Nordic

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
I've been unsubbed from wow for over a year now. Was planning to come back to try classic at some point but I don't think I will now.

boy power

Banned
Jul 29, 2019
This idea that most of Blizzard's revenue comes from China, or a considerable amount of it, is this in any way based on facts? That the minute Blizzard closes the door on China, the whole company will go under? Like I'm not denying that there would be financial loss but the whole company being so reliant on China specifically? That sounds like scaremongering.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
This idea that most of Blizzard's revenue comes from China, or a considerable amount of it, is this in any way based on facts? That the minute Blizzard closes the door on China, the whole company will go under? Like I'm not denying that there would be financial loss but the whole company being so reliant on China specifically? That sounds like scaremongering.

Probably not, but what would more likely happen is another couple of hundred people would lose their jobs.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
I don't agree with what they've done, but no, I'll continue to play Overwatch, as I already own it and never buy loot boxes, so it's not like they are earning on my purchase.

As for future stuff..we'll see I guess. They are a long ways off releasing anything else so they could at least try to course correct, and I generally avoid boycotts because it feels like it fucks the people working on the games who do not necessarily agree with the opinions of the organisations, by way of wasting the hard work and care they put into making the games and the enviable lay offs that could follow, more than the actual CEO's who generally make these shitty decisions to get even more money than they already have.

When it comes to something where it's just the one dude, or a small team who have pure garbage views I'm usually fine with avoiding like the plague though, feels like it actually makes a difference there..like that 2D blade runnery game on Xbox that I forget the name of, or that 3D platformer with JonTrons voice in it.

never

Oct 28, 2017
I can separate the art from the artist, work from the author.
Otherwise I'd have to hate H. P. Lovecraft, Koichi Sugiyama, Burzum, Lostprophets and so on.

I wonder about this sometimes. I struggle with how I feel about it.

In some of these cases you can enjoy their works without benefiting them financially. I'm not sure you can do that with Blizzard games? maybe.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Easy boycott from me as I've never bought anything of theirs (I buy vanishingly few PC games to begin with and so little of their stuff ends up on Nintendo consoles. Was vaguely curious about Overwatch on Switch but that's an easy pass).

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle

There are tons of boycotts and stuff going on right now, especially on the subreddit. Original WoW developers also deleting their subs/accounts to boycott. One idea is to co-opt blizzard characters into pro hong-kong propaganda, would have a much more lasting and profound impact than attempting to boycott, given how many people simply won't care or give enough of a damn to stand up against China (just look at this thread even).

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
And who in this thread has even been mentioning an alternative? Until people start asking for the government to do something to intervene in China's problematic issues nothing will happen but companies bunkering down and making it clear to employees that no one does or says anything contraversial. Going after Blizzard feels good, but it doesn't actually address the issue which is that the world governments should have levied sanctions against China long ago. As it is sure Blizzard rightfully gets a lot of blow back, but the rest of the US companies continue business as usual with the Chinese government as long as they can keep their heads down. The fact that Disney and other domestic companies even do business with China should be just a big a deal as Blizzard getting caught trying to appease them in the first place. The world is addicted to cheap Chinese goods, and are loath to do anything that upsets the status quo.

Sometimes, and this might blow your mind, people do things because of principles, because they feel it's the right thing to do, and not simply because of calculation of "if I do this, will it change anything?" or "If I do this, will I get anything?"

Don't you ever in your life ever do something simply because it's the right thing to do, and not because you will get anything out of it?

Why "because it's the right to do" is never enough of a reason anymore?

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
Co-opt blizzard characters into propaganda against China. It worked for winnie the pooh, it worked the ok-hand sign, they're already doing it with Mei. There's your alternative, now quit complaining and actually take a stance.

Deleted member 14735

Oct 27, 2017
Just a reminder to any MMO players who can't get into the other MMOs out there,

Project 1999 is an officially endorsed Everquest classic server that is launching their green server later this month which is what they've been running servers for years to build towards. P99 has one of the best communities and stable servers I've ever played on, and it's a private server with no cost. If you're looking for a 'rough leveling experience with RPG mechanics' you're about to make WoW classic look like Toontown.

I was planning to play ArcheAge Unchained, but EQ is also something I've always wanted to try out. I missed the boat with the 20th anniversary servers earlier in the year, I'll have to check this out, thanks for posting about it.