• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you willing to boycott ActiBlizzard?

• Yes

Votes: 2,919 69.8%
  • No

Votes: 851 20.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 413 9.9%

• Total voters

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
This is my opinion. Also, read this.

I don't care. It's a ridiculous statement entirely unworthy of respect and I wont entertain it as being valid.

And since I'm not disrespecting you, I humbly ask that you do not disrespect me when we are discussing. =)

If you are going to bait reactions with none sense like that I'm not going to pretend its worthy of respect. Saying you would proudly support the works of a dude who committed mass genocide because you can separate the "artist" (barf) from the art is a joke. As if this artist wouldn't use the profits to commit more genocide. Disgusting.

Last edited:

Col.Asher

Nov 10, 2017
It would be easy for me, I had a steady declining interest in blizzard since starcraft 2. I'll probably still load up diablo 2 at some point, but I bought that ages ago.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes, and this might blow your mind, people do things because of principles, because they feel it's the right thing to do, and not simply because of calculation of "if I do this, will it change anything?" or "If I do this, will I get anything?"

Don't you ever in your life ever do something simply because it's the right thing to do, and not because you will get anything out of it?

Why "because it's the right to do" is never enough of a reason anymore?

The point is that they aren't actually doing anything of consequence. Companies being on an honor system that they are acting with principles while doing business in China isn't a solution. As always what other companies will learn is to preempt any future problems so they don't end up like Blizzard or the NBA, and not that they shouldn't be doing business with a authoritarian government in the first place. Going after any company that got caught with their pants down while the rest of the companies doing business with China carry on as usual isn't going to improve anything. We need to the US government to give a shit and lay down sanctions that US companies are forced to adhere to.

Co-opt blizzard characters into propaganda against China. It worked for winnie the pooh, it worked the ok-hand sign, they're already doing it with Mei. There's your alternative, now quit complaining and actually take a stance.

I haven't bought a Blizzard game in 7 years, and had no plans to buy any in the future. Obviously I was way ahead of the curve on this boycott. Look at me somehow making a difference. Slactivism at it's finest.

Also I've called for sanctions against China multiple times in my posts on this topic which is a hell of a lot stronger stance than asking people to stop buying a company's video games.

Last edited:

Phalk

Oct 27, 2017
Campo Grande, Brazil
If you are going to bait reactions with none sense like that I'm not going to pretend its worthy of respect. Saying you would proudly support the works of a dude who committed mass genocide because you can separate the "artist" (barf) from the art is a joke. As if this artist would use the profits to commit more genocide. Disgusting.

It's my money and my opinion and I have every right to have it.
You can have yours and we are fine.
The rest of your response is mind reading.

Have fun, mate.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
It's my money and my opinion and I have every right to have it.
You can have yours and we are fine.
The rest of your response is mind reading.

Have fun, mate.

No one is censoring your opinion. It's being criticized because you're not immune to being called out just because you say "that's my opinion"

Lol dude, no one is falling for this.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Nope. If the game is good I'll buy it. Even if it's made by Adolf Hitler himself.
This is my opinion. Also, read this.
And since I'm not disrespecting you, I humbly ask that you do not disrespect me when we are discussing. =)

Good people have every reason to be disgusted by you, personally. Particularly in the time and place you're "sharing" this boot-licking defense of truly vile things like outright human rights violations. And in your own example, genocide.

Phalk

Oct 27, 2017
Campo Grande, Brazil
Good people have every reason to be disgusted by you, personally. Particularly in the time and place you're "sharing" this boot-licking defense of truly vile things like outright human rights violations. And in your own example, genocide.

I promise I won't bite any more than this, but you're making dangerous assumptions here.
First, the original message was a figure of speech and I'm sure you know it, but hey, it's better to turn this into a mindless flame right?
Secondly, I'm curious about what makes you think you're entitled to define who are good and bad people.

Anyway, I'm out of this. Have fun with your bickering and I hope you can change the world by boycotting things.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
imagine being a grown ass adult in the world we live in and still having, like, zero principles.

Oct 28, 2017
California
I'm not going to lie, it was kinda hard cancelling my pre-order for CoD MW since I've been looking so much forward to it, but this issue is bigger than that and I'm glad that I did.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
Last acti-blizz game I bought was cod wwii two years ago. Was gonna buy MW but after this whole China thing and my gut feeling that the game will turn into a mtx infested nightmare so fuck em.

Last edited:

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
I picked yes because there is literally nothing for me to boycott.
Ya know, I've been reading back through a bit and a fairly considerable chunk of the yes answers I've seen have been people who do not own, or had no intention to own, any Blizzard games..so seeing posts like this going all the way back to the start I do wonder how representational the poll really is.

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Ya know, I've been reading back through a bit and a fairly considerable chunk of the yes answers I've seen have been people who do not own, or had no intention to own, any Blizzard games..so seeing posts like this going all the way back to ye start I do wonder how representational the poll really is.
Probably fairly accurate.

I've played Overwatch and Diablo 3, and I came away not wanting to buy them because the competitors were better.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Nope. If Sekiro 2 drops, I'm buying it. We have our own problems in America that we have to deal with first. This is a fucked up country toward certain ethnicities.

Oof...I'm not going this far.

If Activision was banning players for criticizing white supremacy in America at the request of Trump, then your stance would make some sense.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Ya know, I've been reading back through a bit and a fairly considerable chunk of the yes answers I've seen have been people who do not own, or had no intention to own, any Blizzard games..so seeing posts like this going all the way back to the start I do wonder how representational the poll really is.
A large chunk of posters also don't aware that Activision published games have a part in this boycott. That means COD, Crash/Spyro remasters, Sekiro, etc.

People are thinking about Blizzard games.

Phalk

Oct 27, 2017
Campo Grande, Brazil

I don't think the poll would be very accurate even if everyone who voted played an Activision Blizzard game, since most people who post on Era are on the gaming activism side of the internet fence and take those things very seriously as we can see in the discussion.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess the only "ActiBlizzard" games I'm even into are Call of Duty and I barely play those. I really don't know or care to know about all this China/Hong Kong stuff so I voted no because for the entire remainder of my life I will likely play a Call of Duty game or Diablo or something at some point so my boycott would be meaningless.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
I haven't bought an ActiBlizzard product since the CEOs and executives fattened their bonuses at the expense of employee layoffs a few months back.

Deleted member 57578

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
Uh... I want to delete my Blizzard account. It's asking for my ID. Is this what others are doing?
It gave me SMS and email options as well. None of them worked at first. Eventually I was able to verify via sms. Someone earlier mentioned they had the same issue- only being offered the ID. Contact support and they should get you sorted.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
It gave me SMS and email options as well. None of them worked at first. Eventually I was able to verify via sms. Someone earlier mentioned they had the same issue- only being offered the ID. Contact support and they should get you sorted.
It's only giving me the option to upload my ID. I really don't want to give my ID to pieces of shit like Blizzard.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
If you're directly funding genocide without any qualms then you deserve a proper "fuck you".

just curious, is this bit still about Blizzard or just a general statement? Because "funding genocide" is very murky, unless you consider every company with dealings with China (aka where China profits from them), then you can include pretty much every developer or console maker out there and just say "videogames fund genocide".

Which technically wouldnt be false I guess? There's a fucked up thought >_<

Roarschach

Dec 18, 2018
No because that would be personal. But if it was really good and other people bought it, I wouldn't hate them for it.
So the stance about being able to differentiate between the artist and person is BS then. It's just that your line of empathy is very small and doesn't extend beyond your close ones, just like many others.

pbrand

Jun 13, 2018
I already deleted my account today before seeing this thread, so... you can guess which response I picked in the poll.

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
just curious, is this bit still about Blizzard or just a general statement? Because "funding genocide" is very murky, unless you consider every company with dealings with China (aka where China profits from them), then you can include pretty much every developer or console maker out there and just say "videogames fund genocide".

Which technically wouldnt be false I guess? There's a fucked up thought >_<
If we're going to go that far, then you're right. By entering the Chinese market, you're helping their economy, which ultimately help the country to prosper.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
If we're going to go that far, then you're right. By entering the Chinese market, you're helping their economy, which ultimately help the country to prosper.

I mean its not even a "entering the market and helping the economy"... For example Tencent has 40% of Epic. Epic makes Unreal Engine. 90% or something stupid of videogames are made with Unreal Engine. So Tencent is getting paid, thus China is getting paid. Not to mention all the consoles made in China and whatnot. Slippery slope I guess.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
The last game I bought from ActiBlizzo was Transformers Devastation, so me saying I won't support them rings kinda hollow. But sure, I'm already boycotting THQ for the time being, might as well throw ActiBlizzard into the mix.

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean its not even a "entering the market and helping the economy"... For example Tencent has 40% of Epic. Epic makes Unreal Engine. 90% or something stupid of videogames are made with Unreal Engine. So Tencent is getting paid, thus China is getting paid. Not to mention all the consoles made in China and whatnot. Slippery slope I guess.
Tencent is a private company. It's different from opening a branch or factory in China as you would need to have a deal with the government directly.

Almost anything you buy will help China prosper. It's just a fact of life.
True, and that's why it's best if we refrain from going into that direction. Let's just focus on protesting against ActiBlizzard's stance in all of this.

MidweekCoyote

Mar 23, 2018
Almost anything you buy will help China prosper. It's just a fact of life.

This.

Boycotting for a proper cause is fine, but I challenge you to walk around your house/apartment and check how many things were either made or owned by China. Half of those things you take for granted would be harder or more expensive to get to.