• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you willing to boycott ActiBlizzard?

• Yes

Votes: 2,919 69.8%
  • No

Votes: 851 20.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 413 9.9%

• Total voters
Nov 1, 2017
So this happened today as I was emailed my request to Blizzard yesterday about deleting my account and that's their response:

EGmp2xeWsAUPp2c.jpg:large

I smh'd at that verb "bows" in first sentence. Really subtle, Blizzard...

Actually GM's use to do full out Roleplaying when they contacted you in the past during vanilla, the bows here is likely a hold over from that.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry if I missed it but what are people doing about Google, Apple, etc?

This is obnoxious. Does every single activist initiative have to be on everything at the same time or none at all? You pick your battles and go for the most vulnerable that is always the most effective activism.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I think there's a line that needs to be drawn. Chinese businesses that want to contribute in the global marketplace on fair terms should not be penalized as part of this protest, nor should American companies be penalized simply for Chinese ownership or doing business in the region when it does not have adverse effects on their corporate governance, just like American companies would not wish to be penalized for their... *ahem* current political situation that they may not have contributed to or supported with their current activities.

Yeah, pretty much. I mean, at that point you would need to boycott American products too. Disagreeing with a country's government doesn't necessarily mean you have an issue with that country's every company; it's when companies blatantly bend over backwards for these governments that we should vote with our money. If Trump demands Mexican characters to be removed from a game, and the company complies, then it's time to grab the pitchforks.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
I've sunk a ton of hours into WoW classic over the last month and was immensely looking forward to WC3 reforged.

I cancelled my subscription and it expired yesterday.

FILE_ID.DIZ

Banned
Jun 1, 2019
Fort Wayne
I already am. Of course, the only thing this really affects for me is not buying OW on Switch, but I can stick to it. Blizzard's stuff doesn't really interest me much anyhow.

SpillYerBeans

Oct 25, 2017
I only really played Overwatch from time to time but I will not be doing so any longer. I was really looking forward to Diablo 4 but oh well, there are plenty of loot games with mediocre stories I can play.

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry if I missed it but what are people doing about Google, Apple, etc?

Ah yes, the good old "every company that sources anything in China is exactly the same as companies openly infringing on free speech and punishing people at the behest of the Chinese government" argument.

Whataboutism is incredibly overused at this point but this is like basic textbook stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie, I don't think future me is gonna skip over Diablo 4. But I'll join in on shitting on blizzard from now til then. It's the least i can do. 👍

CosmicElement

Oct 27, 2017
I've been checked out of Overwatch, Hearthstone, Diablo 3, and StarCraft II long enough that boycotting will be easy for me. I knew Activision was going to spoil Blizzard in the long run.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It would be an empty commitment considering it's been many years since I bought one (MW2?), but I'd absolutely be for dropping anything if I was, and I'm certainly unlikely to buy anything that's got Tencent's fingerprints on it.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes, the good old "every company that sources anything in China is exactly the same as companies openly infringing on free speech and punishing people at the behest of the Chinese government" argument.

Whataboutism is incredibly overused at this point but this is like basic textbook stuff.
Apple literally censored apps Hong Kongers used....

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
It would be an empty commitment considering it's been many years since I bought one (MW2?), but I'd absolutely be for dropping anything if I was, and I'm certainly unlikely to buy anything that's got Tencent's fingerprints on it.

its hard man......i had over 10 days playing time in classic already and just stopped on the dime at the news and unsubbed. I really want to play modern warfare as well, but i im not touching anything until the undo the shit they created.

SonicRift

Oct 27, 2017
I voted yes, but I don't think I've purchased an Activision game since Destiny 1 at launch, so it's a pretty hollow sentiment.

Yasha81

Sep 24, 2019
No. It's unfortunate that Blizzard responded with such a heavy hand, but I ultimately want to play WoW more than I care about an esports celeb being banned; the protests will continue regardless.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I haven't been following this stuff well enough but I get the gist of it - that they've done a really shitty and gross thing - but it's not enough for me to boycott something if I really want it.

I'm no Blizzard fan really, I've barely ever played their games much but I've been wanting to play Overwatch for years and years now so I look forward to grabbing that. Also a fan of Diablo 3 on the Switch.

It's basically separating the art from the artists for me.

It's a case by case thing for me.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm just going through the end credits of Gears 5 and there appears to be a number of studios to which they've obviously outsourced work, several of which appear to be Chinese studios. Is that common?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I'm just going through the end credits of Gears 5 and there appears to be a number of studios to which they've obviously outsourced work, several of which appear to be Chinese studios. Is that common?

yes.

It's quite weird to me that people don't seem to realise China's influence on media these days.