• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
6e9.png

This is my gaming tastes in a nutshell. I like games that, whether in story, gameplay, or both, let you POP THE FUCK OFF. The kind of games where Super Saiyan rage is laughable compared to the shit you can do. These games capture the visceral feeling of losing your fucking mind and have fun doing it.

Without a doubt, the BEST example of this, despite sadly not getting a PC port, is Asura's Wrath.

DirtyUnfinishedCopperbutterfly-small.gif

The combat system was basic, the game had tons of QTE, but in terms of pure, undiluted RAGE, no other game could match it. Still hasn't, in my opinion.

dbya0hj-40b40cec-d293-48ba-b7b1-f7e02162cdeb.gif

Asura makes Vegeta seem chill and makes Kratos look like he's sleepy off lean.

So, ERA, I wanna GO APESHIT in some games, ones with PC versions. Here are games I've played that, while not on AW's level of pure fucking rageahol, allowed me to suitably feel like I was playing the berserker I wanted to play. The idea is about momentum, overwhelming impact, brutality, and often melee but not required:

Pillars of Eternity II
Tyranny (Obsidian are surprisingly good at letting you fist people into gore clouds...phrasing)
Metal Gear Rising (Especially the second half of the game)
Vanquish (GUN-BERSERKING)
Mass Effect 2/3/Andromeda [Biotic Charge is a perfect example of what I like]
Borderlands and Borderlands II [but not the Pre-Sequel, no one really matched Brick and Krieg in that game. Ironically, the Gun-Zerker also was mad lame]
Doom 2016 [Definitely the best apeshit shooter]
Serious Sam 3 [Close runner-up]
Ruiner [Kind of like Hotline Miami except without the one-hit mechanic]

Please no DBZ games. You might think they fit for this, but frankly, every DBZ game I've played has re-told the same two goddamn stories and I'm tired of it.

I can probably think of others and I'll update the list if so, but please gimme your suggestions!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Buttzerker

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Fun game, but not quite perfect for me due to the need to never get hit. I think a big defining feature of 'apeshit' games is that your character can withstand a ton of punishment. Ruiner is a good example of a Hotline-style game that better fits the 'apeshit' feeling.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The Yakuza games have some really cathartic combat and very hype moments. There is a lot of narrative in these games too though.

I'd recommend Yakuza 0 as a good entry point.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
Brawling with Drunkards, Street Hooligans, and other thugs variants in Yakuza series is pretty fun, especially if you use heat action on them.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
There's nothing like zooming through a Greater Rift in Diablo 3 with an OP build, crushing mobs and elite packs in seconds and watching blood fly everywhere.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
If only NG Black and 2 received PC ports. NG2 in particular promotes a gloriously aggressive playstyle.

Amir Mirzaee

Sep 9, 2018
Asura's Wrath is definitely the best fit for what you described, with Metal Gear Rising coming after it in my opinion.

I remember Kenji Saito, the director of Metal Gear Rising, saying in a developer diary video that he made the game for people who are angry at their boss, but can't vent it out on him, so they come home, boot up the game, and beat the shit out of everyone.

One of the scenes in the game which I clearly remember is the one when Raiden says 'turn off my pain inhibitors' and goes on to tear apart Monsoon. It's just fucking fantastic.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
Prototype games. What other game lets you throw a dude half way across the map, then lets you fly over and find him throw him to the other side of the map? Plus the jumping, flying, and dropping from like 50 ft tall buildings.

OP
OP
Buttzerker

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Way too grounded and realistic for what I'm describing.

Prototype games. What other game lets you throw a dude half way across the map, then lets you fly over and find him throw him to the other side of the map? Plus the jumping, flying, and dropping from like 50 ft tall buildings.

Agreed, I miss the Prototype series. Shame 2 failed, I liked James.

Asura's Wrath is definitely the best fit for what you described, with Metal Gear Rising coming after it in my opinion.

I remember Kenji Saito, the director of Metal Gear Rising, saying in a developer diary video that he made the game for people who are angry at their boss, but can't vent it out on him, so they come home, boot up the game, and beat the shit out of everyone.

One of the scenes in the game which I clearly remember is the one when Raiden says 'turn off my pain inhibitors' and goes on to tear apart Monsoon. It's just fucking fantastic.

Yeah MGR was a riot for this. Jetstream Sam's campaign was fun for it too.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Red Faction Guerrilla.

Just blowing thr shit out of buildings is so much fun.

And when you get in a mech, SOO much fun!

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
One Finger Death Punch 2.

Kung-fu hundreds of stick people to death in short, stylish, frenetic rounds.

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
Saints Row IV with all power ups acquired in simulation.

If only the buildings in virtual Steelport are destructable, then it would be perfect.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
Just Cause

It's a game series about blowing stuff up... just 'cause.
Also about using a grappling hook to hitch stuff together, then blowing them up.

Nov 18, 2017
Fun game, but not quite perfect for me due to the need to never get hit. I think a big defining feature of 'apeshit' games is that your character can withstand a ton of punishment. Ruiner is a good example of a Hotline-style game that better fits the 'apeshit' feeling.

So you don't want anything that actually requires skill? You just want to appear badass not actually have to live up to the pressures of being badass though? Okay well I guess that leaves God Hand out then.

But yeah, God Hand is phenomenal for this feeling, you just have to actually earn it tho.

OP
OP
Buttzerker

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So you don't want anything that actually requires skill? You just want to appear badass not actually have to live up to the pressures of being badass though? Okay well I guess that leaves God Hand out then.

But yeah, God Hand is phenomenal for this feeling, you just have to actually earn it tho.

Weird conclusion to jump to dude. There are plenty of games you can take tons of hits in and still feel apeshit, but are difficult. Asuras Wrath on the highest difficulty is actually pretty brutal. So is MGR Rising, especially when I did a no healing items playthrough.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Destiny 2 has this kind of feeling for me rolling into regular playlists and going all out with end game loadouts.

Playing Doom alongside it though and that's on anothe level entirely.

This is a little embarrassing, I'm having trouble believing this isn't a meme.

OP
OP
Buttzerker

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Destiny 2 has this kind of feeling for me rolling into regular playlists and going all out with end game loadouts.

Playing Doom alongside it though and that's on anothe level entirely.

This is a little embarrassing, I'm having trouble believing this isn't a meme.

Yeah I find Warframe a lot better than Destiny for the feeling personally. My decked out Atlas is basically Saitama at this point and it rules.

Nov 18, 2017
Weird conclusion to jump to dude. There are plenty of games you can take tons of hits in and still feel apeshit, but are difficult. Asuras Wrath on the highest difficulty is actually pretty brutal. So is MGR Rising, especially when I did a no healing items playthrough.
"So is MGR Rising, especially when I did a no healing items playthrough." Your a good man Buttzerker im sorry to have doubted you.

Although i do think maybe theres been a slight distinction failure here as I totally believe GTA & Hotline Miami should fit into the 'go ape shit' category.

I apologize for lack of a better term here but it seems your more interested in 'Anime: Go Ape Shit' games opposed to just 'going ape shit' across all games?

OP
OP
Buttzerker

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"So is MGR Rising, especially when I did a no healing items playthrough." Your a good man Buttzerker im sorry to have doubted you.

Although i do think maybe theres been a slight distinction failure here as I totally believe GTA & Hotline Miami should fit into the 'go ape shit' category.

I apologize for lack of a better term here but it seems your more interested in 'Anime: Go Ape Shit' games opposed to just 'going ape shit' across all games?

Haha all good. And it's not quite that simple though you are onto something. It's not just anime it's a matter of feeling like I'm getting into SLUGFESTS you know? If I go down in one hit or even if they go down in 1 hit it doesn't early have that feeling of a brutal fight as much. It's why I didn't list Dynasty Warriors. The enemies are too weak for it to have that appeal.

Beyond even the sense of momentum and initiative there's sort of a hard to define feeling of digging your heels in and trading blows the is a big part of it. Japanese games definitely tend to do it more often but I can still think of some good Western examples even just in this thread such as God Of War or DOOM. To me it's about the sensation of feeling like a tenacious and implacable character who gets by through sheer overwhelming force and persistence. Hotline Miami feels more like it's a question of precision and murderous intent which definitely runs parallel to this but isn't quite the same.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I find Warframe a lot better than Destiny for the feeling personally. My decked out Atlas is basically Saitama at this point and it rules.
The issue there is having to deal with Warfart's wiffy, flimsy low impact combat. :p

I haven't played properly since around the Nekros update, I used to play religiously from closed beta (GM founder). Every time I load in to try again I'm put off by having to relearn everything. Will make a proper push one day, but the combat did always feel a little too low impact and floaty to me. Never really felt super satisfying in that crunchy, impactful, visceral way.