• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
wow impressive, she is truly the greatest and most influential artist of all time in any medium

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And so is the chart today but steaming is the #1 form of music consumption like radio was in the 60s

Individual single purchases didn't become a relevant metric until the 2000s
Wtf am I reading is this a popera thing? Like just falsehoods and apples oranges comparisons ?

wow impressive, she is truly the greatest and most influential artist of all time in any medium
At least this is clean and obvious.

Zeshile

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 22, 2017
Kansas
I thought singles did well up to about the mid 70s, at which point albums became more popular. Then it flipped again around the early 2000s, thanks to services like iTunes.

Either way, I feel like this would be easier today and I'm honestly surprised it hadn't happened already. I feel like everytime a big album comes out, half of it ends up on the charts because of how they count streams.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Misspelling their name to be some kind of petty dig at them is top tier weird PopERA shit.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
Just heard "7 Rings." I'm at work and the video is barely SFW, lol. I like it the song; will definitely put that in my playlist.

The Boyfriend one is nice but extremely forgettable, IMO.

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Her new album is actually nice. Very laid back.

SHe finally made a good album, so it's all good.

CarterTax

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a reason people are doubting what woman is saying? Charts in the sixties were based off of radio and sales but radio was the major source of consumption and was weighted heavier. Billboard routinely adjusts the weighting of various metrics as consumption changes over time. Attempting to marginalize the success of Ariana by acting as if sales are more important than streams is disingenuous. On-Demand streaming is the primary source of consumption of music by large and the charts reflect that.

Impressive feat by Ariana. More impressive is she's the first solo act to do it and all of her songs are solo songs. That's impact.

The Flop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's ok the more talented and less appropriated Camila Cabello will do a top 4 later this year. ;)

seat

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
That's great, but the real achievement will be when she starts an advice podcast like European rock guitarist, John Lennon.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Those song titles alone make it obvious that she has the same lyrical power as the Beatles.
yeah, it's nice seeing an artist be open in their writing instead of just singing "I wanna hold your hand" like sixty times in a row or about walruses speaking gibberish or whatever

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
It's just the truth. Songs rarely went platinum on sales until the 2000s

You'd have huge #1 hits everyone knows that just scanned gold. People weren't buying individual songs that much.

Do you realize 45s were the biggest sellers until the shift to LPs became more commonplace?

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I care as little for the Beatles as I do for Ariana but good for her, I'm only familar with that one song that been playing on the radio for the past year.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Lol, so the whole topic is flawed. Technically, the tweet is correct, she is the first since the Beatles, but the Beatles themselves did better than that.

Yeah, my point is it's not tying the Beatles record, which is the 5 top songs at the same time.