• To celebrate the release of Halo: The Master Chief Collection on Steam, Xbox Games Studios has provided 5 Steam copies of the game and 5 Xbox One copies of the game! We will be giving these away in the Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Some Steam copies will also be given away to the PC Gaming Era community.
  • An old favorite feature returns: Q&ERA is back! This time we'll be collecting questions for Remedy Entertainment, makers of Max Payne, Alan Wake, Quantum Break, and Control. Members can submit questions for the next 6 days, 5 hours, 50 minutes, 57 seconds. Submissions will close on Dec 12, 2019 at 12:00 AM.

Arizona bill would require students say Pledge of Allegiance.

TaySan

Dec 10, 2018
https://www.abc15.com/news/state/arizona-bill-would-require-students-say-pledge-of-allegiance
Republican Rep. John Fillmore of Apache Junction introduced legislation that would require students to recite the pledge each morning unless a parent excuses them. Along with this, schools would also be required to set aside at least a minute each day for "quiet reflection and moral reasoning."
Seems unconstitutional to force kids to pledge the allegiance without a parents consent.

adam prime

Oct 28, 2017
ATX
LOL.

I'm a teacher, from Texas. I think it's our state law too. You think I'm going to call/report a student for saying the pledge or not standing for the pledge? We already ask all students to stand up, and say the pledge every morning. Like, we WANT them to, but I'm not going out of my way to report a child. Like, I don't care that much, and I promise you other teachers don't as well. We're trying to do a JOB. Our JOB isn't to freaking report cards for not saying the pledge.

Whatever.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018

JaseC64

Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Am I weird or is this just something common all through the USA? Maybe you dont have to recite it but you do have to stand and put your right hand on your heart or chest when the pledge goes on.

Like all through HS I never witnessed other students just remaining seated when it came up.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
So what do they do if an entire school refuses to say the pledge of allegiance. Arrest all tue kids? That seems like a nightmare for everyone and really bad PR.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Am I weird or is this just something common all through the USA? Maybe you dont have to recite it but you do have to stand and put your right hand on your heart or chest when the pledge goes on.

Like all through HS I never witnessed other students just remaining seated when it came up.
I sat all the time starting in middle school. You didn't have to stand. People just did it because they were told to.

Psychoward

Nov 7, 2017

At my HS some people sat down, most teachers were cool with it but there were always a few who would get heated over it. A lot more like me just stood up and mumbled stuff to not cause a scene though

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
We already ask all students to stand up, and say the pledge every morning. Like, we WANT them to, but I'm not going out of my way to report a child. Like, I don't care that much, and I promise you other teachers don't as well. We're trying to do a JOB. Our JOB isn't to freaking report cards for not saying the pledge.

Whatever.
This is a waste. I think a child should say the pledge and be respectful. But if they don't, whatever.
But... why?

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
Are there other democratic countries out there that have a pledge like this for children?
I remember going to Jamaica like 20 years ago and they played the national anthem before every movie screening and people would get up an sing it. Fairly certain they did it on the start of the school day as well.

I vaguely remember having to do this during school in NY back in the day. Pretty sure that practice is currently nonexistent.

sqwarlock

Oct 25, 2017
Irvine, CA
Went to school in Arizona and got in quite a bit of trouble with my fellow students the few times I dared to not say it while in elementary school. Then I was in JROTC in high school which essentially "forced" me to say for three years until I dropped it my senior year. I'd like to think the attitude has changed since I graduate in 2002, but who knows.

Rune Walsh

Oct 25, 2017
I teach middle school kids and I don't even do the pledge. A few kids still do it but the rest of us continue working. Complete waste of time and honestly, it's weird.

Slayven

I don’t know what you’re talking about
Oct 25, 2017
Remember this state did not recongize MLK jr day until the 90s, and only because they lost the superbowl