• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was already ruled unconstitutional before the pledge included "Under god"

Good luck with that

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
It is unconstitutional. This was decided in the 40s with Jehovah's Witnesses refusing to pledge. It's just symbolic.

Wait...Why should they?
Yeah!

Wait, no -- what?!?

... Okay now I am confused. Did you not say the pledge when you were in K-12 public school? What about at a sports game? When they say the pledge or sing the national anthem... Do you just sit there and do nothing?

Damn! I knew this place was super liberal, and I am a voting Dem... But y'all are telling me you don't say the pledge of allegiance when you're somewhere it's being done? Like a graduation ceremony?

I mean, it's just a symbolic act of unity. It's nice and respectful, and cool. If you don't want to say it, fine. But I see no reason why not.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit, this isn't a requirement everywhere? I've been doing it as long as I remember in school (Florida). As a teacher to be honest I don't enforce it. When it comes on the announcements I ask them to stand but at the very least I tell them not to talk over it. Honestly I don't give a shit about reciting and kids don't either.

I'm not going to sit here as a minority teacher in front of a bunch of minority kids and act like this country is the greatest and to have large amounts of patriotism when it's a country that isn't fair to their people.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
This is I believe what they call "virtue signaling" for someone without any virtues.

dudes trying to get press so he can get more voters or something

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
... Okay now I am confused. Did you not say the pledge when you were in K-12 public school? What about at a sports game? When they say the pledge or sing the national anthem... Do you just sit there and do nothing?

Damn! I knew this place was super liberal, and I am a voting Dem... But y'all are telling me you don't say the pledge of allegiance when you're somewhere it's being done? Like a graduation ceremony?

I mean, it's just a symbolic act of unity. It's nice and respectful, and cool. If you don't want to say it, fine. But I see no reason why not.

I said the pledge in school, sure. Sports games? um no... just the anthem. I don't think I've been anywhere with a pledge in 20+ years

I don't have a problem saying it but I also don't understand any desire to compel other people to say it. What's the benefit supposed to be?

We did a lot of stupid shit back then and that is not really a reason to demand the same of our kids. It's fucking weird and against the country's ideals tbh

Woolley

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I stopped saying or standing for the pledge around 8-9 grade and haven't done so since. Pledging allegiance just because some says you should seems moronic.

And no public school can make a student stand for the pledge but they bank on kids not knowing the laws or their rights to force them to.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

The pledge of allegiance isn't used at sports games here lol

Also after adding the under god part there's even more reason to not say it

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I live in a rural Southern mountain town and still never had to say the pledge before school except in 4th grade (decision of the teacher).

I'm always shocked to hear how many schools require it.

We did say it during assemblies and stuff but not every morning. Seems like a waste of time.

This was pre 9/11 though so that's probably what changed.

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

I haven't said it since.... Kindergarten? Didn't think I had a choice back then, but once I hit middle/high school, nobody said it. Teachers didn't force us, and tbh, it's fucking creepy.

And this is in Western, PA.

Last edited:

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
I said the pledge in school, sure. Sports games? um no... just the anthem. I don't think I've been anywhere with a pledge in 20+ years

I don't have a problem saying it but I also don't understand any desire to compel other people to say it. What's the benefit supposed to be?

We did a lot of stupid shit back then and that is not really a reason to demand the same of our kids
I stopped saying or standing for the pledge around 8-9 grade and haven't done so since. Pledging allegiance just because some says you should seems moronic.
The pledge of allegiance isn't used at sports games here lol

Also after adding the under god part there's even more reason to not say it

Sure. Okay, yeah that's all fine. You think it's dumb and shouldn't say it, I'm cool with that.

I don't think it implies, or anyone think it does, that saying the pledge means you believe that this country is completely 100% fair and just and absolutely perfect. I say the pledge and anthem and I certainly don't believe that to be true. I think it's okay for children to recite the pledge in school as a sign of unity and respect. That's all.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
It's hilarious to me that there are people elected to our government that think this is a pressing issue that needs to be addressed. Not health care. Not gun control. Not poverty, or systemic racism and inequality. Nope. Forcing children to recite a poem. That's the priority.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

When I was in school everyone would stand up but only like half the class would say anything. The rest of us didn't care since it was also in the morning, and teachers didn't care either. I never said it because I thought it was dumb.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.

Friend-o I am an American citizen. I live here. Why should I ritualistically pledge my allegiance to the country like some weirdo brainwashed zombie, time and time again

I mean...who would even know? Or care?!?

Having said that, yes — I stand up and pledge allegiance when it's time.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
It's hilarious to me that there are people elected to our government that think this is a pressing issue that needs to be addressed. Not health care. Not gun control. Not poverty, or systemic racism and inequality. Nope. Forcing children to recite a poem. That's the priority.

100% with you. It's an embarrassing issue for our government officials to be addressing.

The slow creep of nationalist authoritarianism.

Jeeeesh man. :Rolleyes:

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
AStounding
Sure. Okay, yeah that's all fine. You think it's dumb and shouldn't say it, I'm cool with that.

I don't think it implies, or anyone think it does, that saying the pledge means you believe that this country is completely 100% fair and just and absolutely perfect. I say the pledge and anthem and I certainly don't believe that to be true. I think it's okay for children to recite the pledge in school as a sign of unity and respect. That's all.

Times change. The pledge no longer is a symbol of unity and respect. With the spread of fascism and right wing movements, I think you can understand why forcing students or anyone to recite a pledge isnt conducive to promoting unity. Its enough that the US flag is in pretty much every classroom.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018

I stopped in 6th grade. We didn't do it at sports games and yes, I sit during the national anthem.

I don't say it at a graduation but I've not been to a graduation that did.

What makes it disrespectful to not do it? I care about people, not countries.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
Trying to sneak prayer in schools as well.

I have no problems with this though. So long as no one is forced into it, or it doesn't limit it to just one religion's prayer.

But I don't get why it would need to be a dedicated time block...

...just give students a designated prayer space or something.

That one dude who body slammed that kid earlier this year

Pledge allegiance to the grooooouuund!

psychos

bitsykibbles

Oct 27, 2017
I got in trouble in middleschool over the pledge. It was resolved with me and others standing and just remaining silent. The whole thing is garbage.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
for this country?

it hasn't earned it yet

Dude. It's never earned it. That's not why I recite it, because this country has earned respect. This is a flawed placed with evil people and a dark history LIKE LITERALLY EVERY COUNTRY ON EARTH.

I stopped in 6th grade. We didn't do it at sports games and yes, I sit during the national anthem.

I don't say it at a graduation but I've not been to a graduation that did.

What makes it disrespectful to not do it? I care about people, not countries.

I don't think it's disrespectful, I just think it is respectful to the armed forces of our country and the people who serve this country, past and current.

Again, I take no issue with people who don't. I personally do as a sign of gratitude and respect to the people who have served this undeserving country. And yes, I am person of color, immigrant grandparents.

I don't respect people/country because they've earned it. I respect people/countries because they are human beings, and people who serve the country they live in. Good and bad.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
So meaningless. The pledge means nothing all the way up to the President. Have Trump say the pledge.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
I don't think it's disrespectful, I just think it is respectful to the armed forces of our country and the people who serve this country, past and current.

Again, I take no issue with people who don't. I personally do as a sign of gratitude and respect to the people who have served this undeserving country. And yes, I am person of color, immigrant grandparents.

I don't respect people/country because they've earned it. I respect people/countries because they are human beings, and people who serve the country they live in. Good and bad.

I don't see what pledging loyalty to a flag as to do with being respectful to service members. It simply breeds toxic nationalism a lot of the time. I've been yelled at many a time for not standing or reciting it.

Slappy White

Oct 27, 2017
It's really strange the things that some politicians really care about. Pass a bill requiring kids to pledge allegiance to the flag is the priority when kids literally get murdered in schools all the time and there's nothing.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
ig3HEgTtbJesV9DDqdZBzQIwbSf3atd6Xs73E2l75GI.jpg

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017

Respect is something to be earned though. And with the current state of the country, or even not current but its history, and what various groups/peoples experience, it's a bit misguided to see the pledge as representing unity.

Like I live here, but I feel more shame and anger toward the country that the pledge is supposed to represent, not respect

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
I think I recall getting shit for not giving a shit about the pledge starting in middle school. About a day's worth of shit and then they stopped caring. I'm in California so by the time I was in high school, the pledge wasn't even a thing.

Waste of time, money, and brain cells.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
I don't see what pledging loyalty to a flag as to do with being respectful to service members. It simply breeds toxic nationalism a lot of the time. I've been yelled at many a time for not standing or reciting it.
Right. To the older generations reciting the pledge was a symbolic act of respect to service members, same with national anthem. Thats why they yelled at you.

Different symbols mean different things to different people.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
100% against the constitution and would never get by any court of law

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Right. To the older generations reciting the pledge was a symbolic act of respect to service members, same with national anthem. Thats why they yelled at you.

Different symbols mean different things to different people.

I don't see what the pledge has to do with service members. It makes no sense to me. I've actually not heard that about the pledge. It was always about "loving the country". Now, the anthem I've heard that about.

Of course they do. But saying people should say the pledge is a bit much.