• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
https://www.abc15.com/news/state/arizona-bill-would-require-students-say-pledge-of-allegiance
Republican Rep. John Fillmore of Apache Junction introduced legislation that would require students to recite the pledge each morning unless a parent excuses them. Along with this, schools would also be required to set aside at least a minute each day for "quiet reflection and moral reasoning."

Seems unconstitutional to force kids to pledge the allegiance without a parents consent.

Aine

May 27, 2019
"Bow down to our country or get hauled off to jail"? Yep, sounds like America.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
teachers aren't paid enough to care about shit like this

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
LOL.

I'm a teacher, from Texas. I think it's our state law too. You think I'm going to call/report a student for saying the pledge or not standing for the pledge? We already ask all students to stand up, and say the pledge every morning. Like, we WANT them to, but I'm not going out of my way to report a child. Like, I don't care that much, and I promise you other teachers don't as well. We're trying to do a JOB. Our JOB isn't to freaking report cards for not saying the pledge.

Whatever.

Woolley

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It would get shot down by the courts really quickly. Just a bunch of peacocking.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure SCOTUS is quite at the point where they would not immediately throw this out. But still. Hang in there RBG.

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This country loves freedom so much their going to force kids to say the pledge of allegiance every single day at school.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Are the idiots who wrote this asinine bill even from Arizona?

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I probably had to say the pledge 1000 times growing up in Pennsylvania. Incredible waste of time.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Am I weird or is this just something common all through the USA? Maybe you dont have to recite it but you do have to stand and put your right hand on your heart or chest when the pledge goes on.

Like all through HS I never witnessed other students just remaining seated when it came up.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
So what do they do if an entire school refuses to say the pledge of allegiance. Arrest all tue kids? That seems like a nightmare for everyone and really bad PR.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Am I weird or is this just something common all through the USA? Maybe you dont have to recite it but you do have to stand and put your right hand on your heart or chest when the pledge goes on.

Like all through HS I never witnessed other students just remaining seated when it came up.

I sat all the time starting in middle school. You didn't have to stand. People just did it because they were told to.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

At my HS some people sat down, most teachers were cool with it but there were always a few who would get heated over it. A lot more like me just stood up and mumbled stuff to not cause a scene though

starpower

The Fallen
Jan 23, 2018
Canada
source.gif

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
We already ask all students to stand up, and say the pledge every morning. Like, we WANT them to, but I'm not going out of my way to report a child. Like, I don't care that much, and I promise you other teachers don't as well. We're trying to do a JOB. Our JOB isn't to freaking report cards for not saying the pledge.

Whatever.
This is a waste. I think a child should say the pledge and be respectful. But if they don't, whatever.

But... why?

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
Are there other democratic countries out there that have a pledge like this for children?
I remember going to Jamaica like 20 years ago and they played the national anthem before every movie screening and people would get up an sing it. Fairly certain they did it on the start of the school day as well.

I vaguely remember having to do this during school in NY back in the day. Pretty sure that practice is currently nonexistent.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Gotta force them to pledge allegiance to a country that doesn't really want to stop them from getting shot at school.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
Went to school in Arizona and got in quite a bit of trouble with my fellow students the few times I dared to not say it while in elementary school. Then I was in JROTC in high school which essentially "forced" me to say for three years until I dropped it my senior year. I'd like to think the attitude has changed since I graduate in 2002, but who knows.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
I teach middle school kids and I don't even do the pledge. A few kids still do it but the rest of us continue working. Complete waste of time and honestly, it's weird.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Remember this state did not recongize MLK jr day until the 90s, and only because they lost the superbowl

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
But what about freeze peach?
It's almost like these people only pretend to care about that.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just tell them that the pledge of allegiance was created by communist. That will change thier mind real quick

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I pledge allegiance only after a reasonable list of things are taken care of.