• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

Barto's measure sets up a three-part test to determine on which team someone could play: the student's internal and external reproductive anatomy, the student's normal natural produced levels of testosterone, or an analysis of the student's genetic makeup. Any of of these could be the determining factor.

Rep. Kelli Butler, D-Paradise Valley, said that opens the door to mischief.
She said it allows any athlete in any high school or college sport to make an accusation against any opponent, and then require that person to undergo some examination, presumably at that person's expense.
"This bill will allow basically a free-for-all of ugly accusations at any sporting event," Butler said.
"Anyone can say, 'I lost because of that person on the other team," she said. "And what an ugly door we will be opening."
Rep. Alma Hernandez, D-Tucson, agreed, telling colleagues how she grew up playing soccer.

"I used to be a tomboy," she said. "And there were many girls on that team who easily, or someone could suspect or say, 'They look this way' or 'They don't look that way.'"

She said this measure appears to let anyone now raise those questions and force the athlete to undergo some sort of examination to prove she or he was playing on the right team.

tucson.com

Arizona lawmakers advance bill banning transgender athletes from girls sports

Arguing that it's a matter of fairness, a House panel voted Thursday to ban transgender girls from participating on intramural or interscholastic teams that do not match their "biological sex."

Oct 28, 2017
From the state that voted to deny themselves a paid holiday rather than honor MLK with his own day, I expect the worst here.

Oct 28, 2017
It's never going to get better here. Even the Democrat lawmakers opposed to this are only opposed because a cis girl might be accused and hassled by it, not because it is unfair and hateful to transgendered girls.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Really bizarre how they setup the bill like it's trying to protect transfolks from shitty people? Lol.

The bill is literally a concern troll mixed with bigotry. Worth noting that there's no evidence that supports what the bill is enforcing (unless I'm mistaken).

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
This again. Ugh. All that stuff sounds invasive, creepy, and a violation of human rights. Bet they ignored all of the studies, tests, and evidence about this.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
This clown ass Republican state. I live here for health reasons (climate is better for my severe asthma) but fuck. I'm doing my part in local elections to try and change this kind of dumb shit.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
It's always been a bizarre thing that your human rights can vary depending on what state you're in. Gentle reminder that it's still legal for employers/landlords/etc. to discriminate against LGBTQ people in more than half the states.

Deleted member 13148

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ridiculous, hateful bullshit.
Any NCAA, NAIA, NJCA team competing in AZ
Wouldn't this go against those organizations' rules? If this bullshit passes, I hope it results in all Arizona schools being banished from competing in these organizations until they repeal this shit. Probably the quickest route to getting it repealed.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
Like literally a hour ago I was telling a friend how exhausting it is being trans because you're constantly being reminded that a great deal of people think you're controversial, dangerous, a monster, ect and that no matter how hard you try it's difficult to escape feeling bad about it. And here is another example.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Seriously fuck these politicians, I hope my trans sisters and brothers disturb them so much and inspire their hatred to the point they choke and fucking die on their own bile.

And while my concern is mostly for trans athletes I do feel for some of these cis girls too especially considering the body type and demeanor of a lot of female athletes that are going to be accused of this. Trust me I don't cape for the cis but yeah, this will be as anti-women as anti-trans (which I am sure they would also love, women should be docile and at home not playing sports,☹️).

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
:\ *sigh*

Seriously fuck these politicians, I hope my trans sisters and brothers disturb them so much and inspire their hatred to the point they choke and fucking die on their own bile.

And while my concern is mostly for trans athletes I do feel for some of these cis girls too especially considering the body type and demeanor of a lot of female athletes that are going to be accused of this. Trust me I don't cape for the cis but yeah, this will be as anti-women as anti-trans (which I am sure they would also love, women should be docile and at home not playing sports,☹).
Yeah, there's totally gonna be another bigoted angle for this shit to go down.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
I really gotta leave this state sometime.

Is West Virginia full yet?

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I knew Arizona leaned red, but I thought it was fairly progressive for a Republican state.

:(

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hope so, but I fear they sleep like babies.
The unfortunate truth of that matter is that contrary to fiction and philosophy about morality and sleeping, usually the evil do sleep like babies, it's those of us that actually care both about individuals and humanity as a species are usually the ones that are restless, it's just because of worry, and concern, and fighting the death of hope and not being wracked by guilt.

Oct 26, 2017
Who dreams these nightmare bills up? Of all the things Arizona needs to work on, and this is the shit these fuck faces spend their time on.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine this situation requires state law consideration, and it appears extremely discriminatory in nature.

Oct 26, 2017
The bill itself is pretty short, so if anyone wants to read in full and see the full magnitude of this fuckery:

A. An interscholastic or intramural athletic team or sport that is sponsored by an educational institution in this state must be expressly designated as one of the following based on biological sex:
1. Males, men or boys.
2. Females, women or girls.
3. Coed or mixed sex.
B. Athletic teams or sports designated for females, women or girls may not be open to students of the male sex.
C. If disputed, a student may establish the student's sex by presenting a signed physician's statement that indicates the student's sex based only on all of the following factors:
1. The student's internal and external reproductive anatomy.
2. The student's normal endogenously produced levels of testosterone.
3. An analysis of the student's genetic makeup.
D. A governmental entity, a licensing or accrediting ORGANIZATION or an athletic association or organization may not entertain a complaint, open an investigation or take any other adverse action against an educational institution for maintaining separate interscholastic or intramural athletic teams or sports for students of the female sex.
E. Any student who is deprived of an athletic opportunity or suffers any direct or indirect harm as a result of a violation of this section has a private cause of action for injunctive relief, damages and any other relief available under law against the educational institution.
F. Any student who is subject to retaliation or other adverse action by an educational institution or athletic association or organization as a result of reporting a violation of this section to an employee or representative of the educational institution or athletic association or organization or to any state or federal agency with oversight of educational institutions in this state has a private cause of action for injunctive relief, damages and any other relief available under law against the educational institution or athletic association or organization.
G. Any eligible institution that suffers any direct or indirect harm as a result of a violation of this section has a private cause of action for injunctive relief, damages and any other relief available under law against the governmental entity, licensing or accrediting organization or athletic association or organization.
H. A civil action under this section must be initiated within two years after the harm occurs. A person that prevails on a claim brought under this section is entitled to monetary damages, including for any psychological, emotional and physical harm suffered, any reasonable attorney fees and costs and any other appropriate relief.
I. For the purposes of this section, "educational institution" means any of the following:
1. A public school, whether or not the public school is a member of an interscholastic athletic association or organization.
2. A private school that is a member of an interscholastic athletic association or organization.
3. A university under the jurisdiction of the Arizona board of regents, whether or not the university is a member of any association listed in paragraph 5 of this subsection.
4. A community college as defined in section 15-1401, whether or not the community college is a member of any association listed in paragraph 5 of this subsection.
5. Any other institution of higher education that is a member of any of the following:
(a) A national collegiate athletic association.
(b) A national association of intercollegiate athletics.
(c) A national junior college athletic association.
Sec. 2. Severability
If a provision of this act or its application to any person or circumstance is held invalid, the invalidity does not affect other provisions or applications of the act that can be given effect without the invalid provision or application, and to this end the provisions of this act are severable.
Sec. 3. Short title

The last sentence really is something else:
This act may be cited as the "Save Women's Sports Act

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Ironic that the GOP's propaganda against trans rights laws is that they'll be abused yet the GOP's anti trans laws seem purpose built to be abused.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
ah yes, these are the sorts of bills you propose when your state is on the cusp of going Democrat

that is a smart and intelligent thing to do to ensure your grand ol' party remains in power and absolutely will not backfire at all

/s

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
you want to leave arizona and your first thought is west virginia?

The government stays out of your business in WV. I imagine the state doesn't care to pass bills that infringe on trans rights?

I dunno, I'm probably wrong.

Last edited:

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Another perfect case of a transphobic law that will probably fuck more cis girls than trans girls just because of percentage of trans girls vs cis girls

Nov 27, 2019
Thankfully, the GOP lost a chunk of power in 2018 in State House, but they still have a simple majority. 31 GOP, 29 Dems. If they vote down party lines, the bill passeS.

Just need a single Republican to vote against.
I dunno, it may be a big ask for AZ Dems to vote against this as a bloc. A distressing number of people who otherwise call themselves progressive are tacitly okay with transphobia, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are defections on this should it come to a vote.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I knew Arizona leaned red, but I thought it was fairly progressive for a Republican state.

:(
Oh no, shit is getting split since Trumpito came. Blue wave came in 2018 but the Sun Cities and Prescott's are still hurting the liberal parts and they are planning a redistricting plan soon that could make things worse.