• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MattAces

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Malaysia
Good lord with mobile gaming. PUBG, Fortnite and now Ark.
Seems like the full port too. Will update more info.

Designed and developed by War Drum Studios and based on the genre-defining adventure from PC and console, ARK: Survival Evolved challenges you to survive and thrive on a mysterious island, where you start out alone and unarmed. Gather resources and craft tools to build shelter and hunt. Expand your domain while capturing and taming dinosaurs to do your bidding. Make new friends online, form tribes, and build mighty structures to defend against man and mega-predators alike!
Features of ARK: Survival Evolved include:
  • 80+ Dinosaurs: Use cunning strategy and tactics to tame, ride and breed the many dinosaurs and other primeval creatures roaming the dynamic, persistent ecosystems across land, sea, air, and even underground.
  • Discover: Explore a massive living and breathing prehistoric landscape as you find the means to survive, thrive, and escape on the Ark.
  • Craft and Build: Using any means necessary to survive, craft weapons, clothes, and items, and build shelters, villages, or even large cities. - Survive Alone or With Others: Group up with, or prey on, hundreds of other players in a large-scale online world or choose to go it alone in single-player mode. - Join a Tribe: The 'Tribe' system encourages cooperation, by supporting dynamic parties to share resources, XP, and re-spawn points.

https://playark.com/mobile/

War Drum is launching a limited closed beta on iOS, with a full worldwide launch anticipated later this Spring on the iOS App Store and Google Play Store. Interested ARK survivors can visit the link below to sign up for news on the game's development and for a chance to participate in the ARK closed beta!

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Whoa, this is getting weirder and weirder! Good for iOS\Android users!

Already have it on my PS4, would double dip on the Switch prolly.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
cage.gif

Killercow

Oct 26, 2017
RIP iPhone/iPad and Android batteries.

Any details on cross-play and if the port will have the expansions?

"The mobile version of ARK: Survival Evolved is built around the base PC game. It features the majority of creatures & items that you've come to know and love along with new features such as the Revival Platform, Pursuits, an Undo button when placing structures, and optional Premium items to enhance your gameplay.
In bringing this game to mobile devices, some compromises have been made. We have removed boss battles and now offer rewards for tributed artifacts. Additionally, you will find that Cross ARK Transfer & Supply Beacons are not available in the mobile version."

CAN I PLAY WITH MY FRIENDS ON PC OR CONSOLE?
No, you will only be able to play with other iOS users.

DOES THE CLOSED BETA FEATURE CONTROLLER SUPPORT?
No, bluetooth controller support is not yet implemented. We will support most bluetooth controllers in the final release of the game.

Also, seems like the game will offer In App Purchase.

Haha, thats amazing. Really a game Dark1x should cover on release given how much videos they have posted on ARK.

Its funny how this comes to iOS/Android and Switch gets Pixelark which is inspired by it.

I have to say it looks amazing, minus the shadows (Why is it that shadows are always so nuked on mobile hardware).

This actually reads like a reverse of Radiation Island. This was an open world crafting game similar to ARK that went to Switch, now you have ARK going to mobile platforms.

Still, looks really impressive.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this game barely runs on a fucking PC. unless they're pulling a PUBG Mobile and outsourcing it, this game is gonna run like dog turds rolling uphill in a Minnesota winter

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
The game is a steaming pile of garbage technical-wise on Xbox. It really saddens me to see it find such success despite this.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now that's quite the technical challenge. Then again, the mobile version of PUBG runs miles better than the Xbox One X version, so I guess that if a dev competent with mobile gets onto the task anything's possible. Still dubious as there still is no version of this game running ideally. ARK, even on Xbox One X, doesn't really look good or run well.

JMTHEFOX

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
"The mobile version of ARK: Survival Evolved is built around the base PC game. It features the majority of creatures & items that you've come to know and love along with new features such as the Revival Platform, Pursuits, an Undo button when placing structures, and optional Premium items to enhance your gameplay.
In bringing this game to mobile devices, some compromises have been made. We have removed boss battles and now offer rewards for tributed artifacts. Additionally, you will find that Cross ARK Transfer & Supply Beacons are not available in the mobile version."

CAN I PLAY WITH MY FRIENDS ON PC OR CONSOLE?
No, you will only be able to play with other iOS users.

DOES THE CLOSED BETA FEATURE CONTROLLER SUPPORT?
No, bluetooth controller support is not yet implemented. We will support most bluetooth controllers in the final release of the game.

Also, seems like the game will offer In App Purchase.
Sounds like its going to be a free to play mobile port with limited features compared to the PC port and new features to make up the compromises.

Best of luck to the devs, but I am afraid of how much battery life its going to reap from my Mini 4. :'(

Now that's quite the technical challenge. Then again, the mobile version of PUBG runs miles better than the Xbox One X version, so I guess that if a dev competent with mobile gets onto the task anything's possible. Still dubious as there still is no version of this game running ideally. ARK, even on Xbox One X, doesn't really look good or run well.
One of the more sensible posts instead of those ''wil run at 5 or 0.1 fps'' drive-by's. PUBG Mobile demonstrated it can be done. Fortnite has shown great premise aswell.

All these share the same underlying engine and War Drum Studios has a good track record underneath their belts with the GTA series of ports, so whilst i understand the cynicism, i feel its not fair to give War Drum a disadvantage by expecting a shit port.

That being said, i am amazed the game is as popular as it is given how wildly fluctuating its performances are on all the platforms so far. I can''t imagine the PC version doing something particularly demanding, unless they try to have VXGI lighting on all platforms heh.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Fortnite and to a lesser extent PUBG make sense but this is just nonsense. The thing barely runs on any platform.

This just seems desperate.

OP
OP
MattAces

MattAces

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Malaysia
I understand the skepticism but can we just wait and see what happens.
It is developed by an external studio, whether it's a port or built from ground up we don't know.
Ark also has another spinoff developed by external studio (Snail Studio), the VR game is launching next week, even on PSVR and that requires a solid 60fps to pass certification. So let's wait and see.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
This is probably the best performing game since Doom. Ultra portable, and definitely will not skip a frame!

Cannot wait for the iOS version.

Well, looks much more worse than the Switch demo uploaded on twitter or somewhere.. also the framerate looks choppier.
Different ecosystems and having to run on a plethora of devices. Still looks like a step above most mobile games though.

Switch version looking goo..oh wait!

This looks more akin to what PUBG did rather than Fortnite, in that it's a facsimile of the full game
In all honesty, this is what i imagined a hypothetical PS360 version of the game would look like. For mobile graphics it still looks nice though. Games like these, Shadowgun Legends, Modern Combat Versus have quickly raised the visual bar after years of games looking like glorified OG Xbox titles with better shaders but with texture work still firmly in 6th gen area.

So for ARK Mobile to look like a PS360 title is in terms of mobile visuals quite an upgrade. Switch version looks superior though, which makes it so odd considering that's also mobile hardware. I guess to the metal coding really paid off in this regard.