• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Spain
So, I Googled Ark for Switch because it's coming out in a few days and I'm really curious, and it turns out some YouTubers already have access to the game and have uploaded footage.
So with no more delay:

Docked footage

Handheld footage

Framerate comparison docked and handheld.

I can only say, this game is hideous. At least the framerate is playable and actually above what the XBOX One version delivers, and there is no screen tearing. That said, it's still the most unoptimized game ever made, the port to Switch didn't change anything because the source is still shit. Can only polish a turd so much. It's funny to see everyone asking for Panic Button in the comments, when the launch version of Wolfenstein 2 ran only slightly better than this very often.
I find myself thinking that this is a good port of a shit technical job of a game, which seems like kind of a paradox. As for the game itself, if it's up your alley, guess you can play it on the Switch now.

Valkrai

Oct 25, 2017
Forget Doom, ARK is the true impossible port. Well considering it runs like dogshit on any system that exists.

OP
OP
Elfotografoalocado
Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I don't think it looks too bad on the PS4 Pro, but it is definitely not perfect. This Switch port looks insanely bad though.
Doesn't the PS4 Pro version run at 1080p and at an exceedingly poor framerate, often locking to 20FPS?
I mean, if you throw enough horsepower to it you make it better, but the game is exceedingly demanding for no clear benefit.
It runs substantially worse than any other high profile game in the market today.

ShinNL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
It's funny to see everyone asking for Panic Button in the comments, when the launch version of Wolfenstein 2 ran only slightly better than this very often.
I got Wolfenstein 2 on launch and played both 1.0.0 (without updates) and 1.0.1 (day 1 patch). You're a liar OP and you should be ashamed for using this game to take a jab at Panic Button.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
This looks really bad, why even port it to Switch?
Or, why even make a version for consoles running like shit

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
not everyone can be panic button but this looks hilariously terrible

It's funny to see everyone asking for Panic Button in the comments, when the launch version of Wolfenstein 2 ran only slightly better than this very often.

that's incredibly false

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, quick question. What engine does ARK run on? Is it its own custom engine? Because good lord, why does this game have so much trouble on literally anything.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Are you sure it's not the Wii version?
Wow. At least it runs I guess. Performance seems about as good as other console versions, but those graphics...

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Diablo port spoiled me, because when I tried Paladins it was ROUGH. Actually made me try the PC version at least and now im kinda hooked. I havent tried Warframe yet but I hear that one is ok. But yeah I had no hopes with Ark considering how it already ran bad on PC anyway.

I should note I play my switch 100% portable tho.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Portable mode looks like one of those parody videos where they try to get a game as close to looking like "X old console" as possible. At least performance looks smooth (?). I wonder how it runs with more people and deeper into the forests.

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
Ark is cool and a switch version in theory would be a nice thing.

But seriously, who the fuck thought this was ever going to pan out.

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
It legitimately looks like Turok on the N64.

Turok 3: Shadow of Oblivion.

latest

Can't say I disagree with the handheld performance.

I'll dare to say that Turok looks better, it only hasn't the same lighting.

Also, we're in 2018, why pop-in is still an issue? That's unnaceptable.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Doesn't the PS4 Pro version run at 1080p and at an exceedingly poor framerate, often locking to 20FPS?
I mean, if you throw enough horsepower to it you make it better, but the game is exceedingly demanding for no clear benefit.
It runs substantially worse than any other high profile game in the market today.

It has issues streaming in new content (you get massive FPS issues on slow harddrives), poor memory management (game runs worse the longer you play) and Dino AI is unoptimized (given you get noticably better FPS if you turn off all dino spawns).

Like I said in the other thread it's basically awful across the board as far as technical execution goes, which is a god damn shame given that the game itself is a lot of fun to play.

ShinNL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Diablo port spoiled me, because when I tried Paladins it was ROUGH. Actually made me try the PC version at least and now im kinda hooked. I havent tried Warframe yet but I hear that one is ok. But yeah I had no hopes with Ark considering how it already ran bad on PC anyway.
What do you mean by 'rough'? I thought Paladins was one of the good ports with 60 FPS and almost no fidelity loss.

I'm really enjoying Warframe at the moment, but I'm pretty sure it's going below 30 FPS more often than not. But since I grew up with sub 30 FPS games, I don't really notice or mind it too much, as long as I can keep my bells and whistles (I cranked up the Bloom and FOV and turned all effects to max in that game, which surprisingly has settings for it on the Switch).

drico

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
I've pretty much written this port off. PixARK on the Switch on the other hand is something I'm looking forward to. This looks maybe like a Dreamcast game, at best.

Mistermetz

Jun 17, 2018
Im really baffled, since the first version they showed us back then looked much better in handheld than the above video of the docked
Version. What happened? Seriously speechless...

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Im really baffled, since the first version they showed us back then looked much better in handheld than the above video of the docked
Version. What happened? Seriously speechless...

It was probably a fake showing or they streamed the PC version, that footage was fishy af.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018

So this was a fake showing or they heavenly downgraded the title?