• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Well, it looks like we're getting at least one more AAA immersive sim game.

For context, Arkane Austin has approximately doubled their number of open job positions since our last thread a week or two ago, and this has revealed some new details.

Highlights:

1.) One of the job postings explicitly says "Our style of immersive simulation and emergent gameplay creates many challenges." and goes on to talk about how this job posting is for their new game with online.

2.) I am suspicious they have moved to idtech6 given there's a bunch of job postings that ask for engine experience and all list id's technologies like idtech or radiant first as examples. Prey was on CryEngine 3. Mind, it could just be company spirit, but I'm sticking with my suspicion.

3.) The job postings feature a first person weapons artist that makes guns and gun attachments, so it's probably a shooter of some kind.

4.) A ton of these job postings are for online experience and technology, even among positions like Art Director.

5.) Some of the jobs talk about making FPS levels and one even talks about making "maps".

6.) A lot of people have pointed out that Bethesda renewed the trademark for The Crossing, which was Arkane's online shooter/immersive sim game thing. I have to say that fits really well with these job postings.

7.) It's worth noting they have approximately three times as many job openings versus Arkane Lyon of Dishonored 2 game (17 vs 5), so that studio may not have decided what to do yet, whereas Arkane Austin has clearly been given the greenlight to mass hire.

8.) Sone of the job postings talk about "next-generation consoles", but many developers still use that term to refer to the PS4 and XB1, so I wouldn't read too much into that unless the job postings are very explicit they mean the actual next generation of consoles. Mind, we are around that time of the generation for new projects.

Some notable postings:
https://jobs.zenimax.com/requisitions/view/1642 (Immersive sim listing)
https://jobs.zenimax.com/requisitions/view/1634 (Weapon artist, first person and idtech notes)
https://jobs.zenimax.com/requisitions/view/1447 (Online, live game notes)
https://jobs.zenimax.com/requisitions/view/1610(Art Director with online notes)
https://jobs.zenimax.com/requisitions/view/1644 (Talks about "maps", more idtech listings)

General job page: https://jobs.zenimax.com/locations/view/3

Xaero Gravity

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After Prey, I'll be watching everything the Austin team does. Such an underated game. I feel guilty for waiting until now to pick it up.

Edit: Holy shit if this is them reviving The Crossing. I loved what I saw of that way back on The 1UP Show.

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hype! Even if it's online it could still be good. I loved Prey but I lost my save when I was 80% into the story, lost all interest after that despite liking the game, don't have the will to start it all over :( Still, it was really good.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thank God this studio isn't dead. Prey was fantastic, and honestly I don't mind online features being added to an immersive sim, could be very interesting

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Fantastic news

I don't mind the game having online features as long as it's still enjoyable to play solo and the online doesn't detract from that

Prey is a masterpiece

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
I think an online immersive sim could have a huge potential. I really should get to playing Prey though...

Emka

Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Prey is still my GOTY this year .

I'm up for anything they want to make. Day 1.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
If this one flops too, idk what Bethesda will do next. Anything that moves their franchises away from goddamn awful custom forks is welcomed in my books.

Sp3ratus

Oct 27, 2017
Prey was fantastic, I'm down for whatever Arkane Austin turns out. Don't mind the idea of online elements being introduced, if it's even close to as good as Prey is.

Molemitts

Oct 25, 2017
Prey was great. Hopefully they don't feel the need to compromise the kind of game they want to make and can begin to find the audience they deserve. Interested to see what the online stuff will be.

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil
That's very nice, and the System Shock remake is coming next year too!

One of the best genres out there, I'm glad it's not dead, too bad Deus Ex is gone for now :(.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Immersive sim with souls like online would be a dream game.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
The Crossing sounds interesting. Single player missions where other players take control of enemies

From Wikipedia
The Crossing attempted to fuse single-player and multiplayer gaming, allowing human players to take the place of enemies in the single-player campaign. The players who take on the role of AI grunts play a team-based deathmatch game, with the additional goal of trying to kill or protect the one or two more powerful players who are playing through the story. This amalgamation was dubbed "crossplayer" by Arkane.

The game also was to include a team-based multiplayer mode called skirmish, which is also incorporated into the single-player campaign, where the main player might try to avoid the skirmish.

Oct 28, 2017
Prey is fantastic, so I'm very relieved that Bethesda is giving them funding for their next game, I don't mind the online part if they keep doing their inmersive games.

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Prey was such an underrated game. I'm glad they're still sticking to their bread and butter. Will keep a look out for this one.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just happy that they can create another game. I will first have to see what those online features entail before i make up my mind. After Prey, i can't feel anything else than hype for their next game though.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Prey is my goty but I can't be excited until I know how limited the online focus is. It'll be heartbreaking if it's online only or a very heavy multi focus.

ilium

Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
I'm definitely open to some experimentation on the formular and I love a good co-op experience anyway

Raytheon

Oct 25, 2017
Hm, I wonder if online could really be the way forward for these immersive sims? I'll be really interested to see if this turns out. The magic of Dishonored and Prey was exploring the spaces they created though, so as long as the fun level design is still present I'm in.

JarlRaven

Nov 8, 2017
Will be there to support them day one. I can see a lot of potential with an online focus that I hope will pay off for them.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty rare that we'll see developers make a complete 180 from their usual strengths, I'm guessing they'll try to make something a little more in line with market trends, but that still plays to their strengths. I wonder what that'll look like in the end. Whatever it ends up being, I'm excited to see it!

Oct 25, 2017
canada
God I hate first person in immersive sims.. It was a big hurdle for me to get over in dishonoured which I loved but seriously I cant get into Dishonoured 2 because of the perspective

Blabadon

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I don't care if they make games I hate (barely played Prey or Dishonored though), if they're making games in this genre people like I hope they keep it up.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Hell yes! Prey was amazing. Not thrilled about the move to id tech but makes sense since Bethesda owns it.

Oct 27, 2017
Shame that these triple A pubs would rather chase trends than shift expectations, budgets and marketing strategies. Can't enjoy some of the money, have to have all of it.

smuguire

Oct 27, 2017
Prey is one of the best games in a long time. With the amount of good games that are out, I almost never replay single-player stuff these days, but I was only a few hours into Prey before I knew with 100% certainty that I'd be playing it again at some point.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
Shame that these triple A pubs would rather chase trends than shift expectations, budgets and marketing strategies. Can't enjoy some of the money, have to have all of it.

I don't blame them. Some of their games were heavily marketed as well. But that didn't help them. I just hope that the online features will serve the singleplayer and not the other way around. Were the singleplayer content will just be an addon.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, Dishonored 2 was my GOTY 2016 (tied with Blood and Wine) and Prey is my GOTY 2017, so I am in for anything they create, as long as I can play it solo. I don't even mind if I meet other players from time to time or whatever, just make it have a story, great level design and atmosphere, and don't force me to depend on other people for my playtime, and I am game.

Still would prefer if they focused on singleplayer games only, but given the low sales of their three projects, I can understand Bethesda not wanting to let them anymore.

Although, if only they gave them, say...Fallout spin-off to work on...that would sell even while singleplayer.

UncannyPulsar

Nov 2, 2017
Porto, Portugal
Given the circumstances this is really good news.
This new approach to a genre mainly focused on singleplayer could be really interesting. If there's a genre more suitable to step out of its comfort zone and try new things, that genre/type of games are the immersive sims.

Arkane is one of the best developers around so I'm sure they will come up with something good.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
As far as immersive sims goes, there's the System Shock 1 remake and System Shock 3 in development as well as Underworld Ascendant so this genre ain't going anywhere yet, thankfully. If Obsidian announce they're making one as well, that'd be great.

To be fair to Bethesda here, they tried pushing so many single player games and with them all seemingly bombing or just about not meeting expectations, it's no wonder really. As long as they keep the single player games in tact as they were before, I'll be fine with online elements (as long as it doesn't ruin or intrude the design of the main game).

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hm, I wonder if online could really be the way forward for these immersive sims?

I would rather they go dormant again if that's the case. Sometimes death is preferable to watching a genre become a shell of itself or an embarrassment.

There's a million multiplayer/co-op games out there for people who need that stuff. A separate online mode that's easily ignored (like Doom's) would be fine but it seems like it's never just that anymore. It always infests the single player in some way, or it's never single player to begin with it's one of these awful "shared world" games.

Hopping_Mad

User banned for use of alt account
Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Australia
As far as immersive sims goes, there's the System Shock 1 remake and System Shock 3 in development as well as Underworld Ascendant so this genre ain't going anywhere yet, thankfully. If Obsidian announce they're making one as well, that'd be great.
Underworld 3 looks bad. The devs of ss1 remake backpedalled on their remake into a "modern" reimagining, and ss3 means nothing after we have seen that developers with great legacies can lay humongous eggs (yooka laylee). Epic mickey was trash. Skepticism is high.