• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Its amazing how cops trump up charges when they harass people unlawfully.

The worst part about it is that the jury will side with cops even when given video

As far as I can tell the Arkansas open carry law says "It is unlawful for a person to possess a handgun on or about his person, in a vehicle occupied by him, or otherwise readily available for use, with a purpose to attempt to unlawfully employ it as a weapon against a person."

So I don't see what was wrong with him having a rifle, in the back.

Yea looking it up it seems open carry is allowed and so is having a weapon in the car. So they are going with the story that "he reached for the weapon!" ?

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yea looking it up it seems open carry is allowed and so is having a weapon in the car. So they are going with the story that "he reached for the weapon!" ?

All these good cops out there speaking out against this and trying to stop bullshit charges from happening. The support is truly deafening.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017

The worst part about it is that the jury will side with cops even when given video

As far as I can tell the Arkansas open carry law says "It is unlawful for a person to possess a handgun on or about his person, in a vehicle occupied by him, or otherwise readily available for use, with a purpose to attempt to unlawfully employ it as a weapon against a person."

Arkansas, An accessible firearm is presumed to be carried as a weapon used against a person. Basically, if the firearms is able to be reached within a vehicle, it's presumed to be a weapon carried to be against a person.

quick edit:
You have to prove that there was a reasonable need to have the gun in an accessible area. i.e. someone threatened you.

That's all in regard to the weapon itself. Nothing about what the officer did was reasonable in my professional opinion.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Can't just let the man walk free...nah. That would mean the pig made a mistake.
And we can't have that now can we?
I've had to clear many parking lots after ours, during ours, and the best approach was to just give people time to get out of the parking lot. Not make a big deal about like the officer(s) did in this case.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Arkansas, An accessible firearm is presumed to be carried as a weapon used against a person. Basically, if the firearms is able to be reached within a vehicle, it's presumed to be a weapon carried to be against a person.

quick edit:
You have to prove that there was a reasonable need to have the gun in an accessible area. i.e. someone threatened you.

That's all in regard to the weapon itself. Nothing about what the officer did was reasonable in my professional opinion.

Reading it more, the burden of proof clearly lies with the officers. There should be no assumption that there was intent to use the weapon against someone else unlawfully - for this reason a lot of weapons charges get thrown out in the state.

On October 17, 2018 the Arkansas Appeals Court stated in case No. CR-18-353 Jamie Taff v. State of Arkansas: ("n general merely possessing a handgun on your person . . . does not violate § 5-73-120(a) and may be done if it does not violate other laws or regulations."). Under the clear language of section 5- 73-120(a), the possessor of a handgun must have an unlawful intent to employ it as a weapon against a person in order to make that possession a criminal act.

That said, the presence of a weapon in a vehicle can be considered reasonable suspicion, which can result in being temporarily detained and searched.

This and the BS loitering charges are what they are using to justify the arrest.

And the Victims subsequent refusal to follow contradictory and dangerous orders are thrown in because the weapons and loitering charges won't stick.

And the resisting arrest charges are thrown in because when ever an officer chooses to slam someone on the ground, that person is always considered to be resistant. Hell the natural, involuntary act of bracing while trying to keep your face from slamming into the concrete is considered resisting.

It's truly a no win situation for us out here.

Last edited:

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Reading it more, the burden of proof clearly lies with the officers. There should be no assumption that there was intent to use the weapon against someone else unlawfully - for this reason a lot of weapons charges get thrown out in the state.

That said, the presence of a weapon in a vehicle can be considered reasonable suspicion, which can result in being temporarily detained and searched.

This and the BS loitering charges are what they are using to justify the arrest.

And the Victims subsequent refusal to follow contradictory and dangerous orders are thrown in because the weapons and loitering charges won't stick.

And the resisting arrest charges are thrown in because when ever an officer chooses to slam someone on the ground, that person is always considered to be resistant. Hell the natural, involuntary act of bracing while trying to keep your face from slamming into the concrete is considered resisting.

It's truly a no win situation for us out here.
I wonder how they'll put that argument with transporting a rifle vs legally carrying a handgun though. I agree with you 100% though, it's a no win situation when you have the officer going to the most extreme available without reason.
It looks like a modified chest ready stance to me. He's holding it with one hand because he's also holding a flashlight.

I found an example
Yea, modified, and incorrectly being used.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My man acted smart.

Just yesterday I saw another video of an incident that could have easily gone wrong on Twitter.

I'm just happy that more people are figuring out how to manage a situation like this.

But then again I am very sad that we've reached the point where I have to congratulate people for making it out alive from a police encounter...

Edit: Here's the Twitter clip

"I feel threatened! You have a weapon!"

"Sir, this is a bucket."

How is this not a parody? Christ.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A Helena-West Helena police officer is now off the job, pending an investigation and his chief is talking about the case with state police.

A Helena-West Helena police officer is now off the job, pending an investigation and his chief is talking about the case with state police.

This comes after a video surfaced, showing the officer pointing a gun at a man over Memorial Day weekend.

The Helena-West Helena police chief said he released the officer's body camera footage to give perspective.

However, WMC Action News 5 learned the officer on leave has been disciplined before in the three years he's been with the department.

Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell
Kid was smart to stream the exchange and refuse to put his hands out of sight... but let's be honest here, that didn't save his life. The cop fucked up, that's what saved his life. What he was going for is pretty obvious.

1 - Tell the target to stop the car.
2 - Wait until the target moves his hands out of sight to follow the order.
3 - Scream GUN.
4 - Shoot.

Guess he was a little too excited, since as soon as the kid twitched he skipped right to step 3 which didn't even give him time to reach the stick which in time gave him time to react, put both hands in plain sight and freeze like that. It's only several moments after this happens that the cop actually notices the phone and asks him if he's recording. So I think even this well-prepared, quick to react black lad would've ended up as a stiff if the cop didn't fuck up the good old four step minority shooting standard procedure.

Now think about how many badges probably don't fuck it up. This level of preparation and the kid still just avoided getting shot, out of pure chance.

Good thing I'm white and european. Can't even imagine living in those circumstances.

Oct 27, 2017

If he was white it wouldn't have been a big deal. He may have been a sked to step out of the car but he wouldn't have a gun pulled on him

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That cop was going to pull the trigger as soon as that guy lowered his hands. I'm sure that if he complied with the order to shut the car off by lowering his hands to turn the key, the cop would have claimed the guy reached for a gun.

The officer was looking to earn his new stripes in the klanhood. The "I killed a black person" badge.

Last edited: