• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Yes and that was a clean cut cop in the wrong. This event I feel is different. The cop was wrong to say he had a gun and the guy driving used that as an excuse to refuse to comply to any further instruction.
Get the fuck out of here, young black men are being murdered in this country by cops like this.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Yea because he quickly moved his hand out of frame, guessing the cop freaked out and assumed the worse.
Still a bad look especially because he didn't have the gun where the cop said it was. If you can't deal with someone moving to do the command you told them to do, you shouldn't be a fucking cop, period. Additionally, owning a gun is legal so I am unsure how the cop could be right in any circumstance here.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
You know things are fucked up when the unarmed guy is calmer than the supposed trained professional pointing a gun at him. He was very lucky to get out of that alive.
But I thought we had the freedom(!) to have guns 🤔 maybe the cop never heard of the 2nd amendment. That must be it
Not when you're a minority.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing will happen to this cop. At the same time a lot of "not all cops" bullshit. We're at a point where even the supposedly good cops are complicit because non of them motherfuckers are pushing hard for strong reforms in their union.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Can't believe there are some sorry ass people in this thread trying to rationalize the actions of the officer. The dude was liable to get killed no matter what he did.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
And even then you might still get shot lol.

Yep, and I'm only half hispanic and pass for white! My step-father (black) was subject to way more of this shit than I'll ever be comfortable living with. We road tripped from South Carolina to Florida once, and he got pulled from the car and thrown against the hood because he "fit the description of a perp"...come to find out the guy they were looking for was 6'3", had long dreadlocks, and gold teeth. My Step-father is 5'10", has a crew cut, and pearly whites. I was like 16, couldn't do shit but watch and hope they didn't shoot him for "resisting". Fucking terrifying.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I agree with you 100% on all you said, and it shouldn't be in the civilian to defuse the situation! Of course some cops use every excuse to kill African Americans! But
Jack-Nicholson-Shut-up.gif

Stop trying to provide a critique for a situation or "it could've gone better if the guy did this." The only thing that can be judged here is the cop's absurdity. Note there have been multiple times where POC have complied with cops and gotten shot anyway. So shut up instead of "WElL aCtuaLLY TheY shOuLD've JUsT DOnE thIS."

I'm going to assume you're interactions with police officers are few and far between, and that you don't follow the news very regularly.

The cop tells him to turn off the car because he wants him to move his hands too quickly. Period. He has a gun drawn, shouts "He has a gun" and as soon as he realizes that the man is filming, he changes his demeanor. This wasn't the cop trying to diffuse anything, or solve anything, it was a cop who was out for blood, plain and simple. If the cop kills him, he gets a free vacation and his cop buddies will say "well we thought he had a gun, so it was justified, he feared for his life".

Everything the citizen did here was absolutely correct. Everything the officer did required that response. If a cop has a gun on me and asks me to do something that could give him an excuse to shoot me, I'm not doing shit.
giphy.gif

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
For the record, he had a gun. Does no one read the description in the video?
I updated my comment when I realized i wasn't clear. He did have a gun but it was not reachable from his position in the car from the article I read. So the cop is still in the wrong and owning a gun and carrying it is legal. Seems like if he was really concerned he would've asked him to step out of the car versus pointing a gun in his face.

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Put your hands up!"
"Turn off your car!"

Contradicting orders like this is why people get shot. People quick to point out "just do what the cop asks". A man was ordered to put his hands up and crawl to the officer (while he was on his back) and was shot as soon as he put his and on the ground to crawl.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
The way American cops behave, you would think it's the deadliest job on earth.

It is when the coronary they get from eating too many donuts is considering "dying in the line of duty".

You think I'm joking but I'm not. Police unions count any death while on duty as dying in the line of duty to inflate death statistics.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I agree with you 100% on all you said, and it shouldn't be in the civilian to defuse the situation! Of course some cops use every excuse to kill African Americans! But if there's a slight chance something can be done to better your chances, if ever so slightly, in your favor of not provoking the cop and shoot you then I'd take it. Talking back at the asshole with the gun pointing at you I don't think helps in that department. That's all I'm saying. I'm there with you calling out this asshole!

With all due respect.....

Go away from this topic and post in it, or other bad cops topics, again.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Shouting out 'He's got a gun' when that is provably false should be a criminal offense.

Aiming a gun at someone while barking out contradictory demands should be a criminal offense.

Removing someone from a phone they are using to record an arrest should be a criminal offense.

Listening to orders is no guarantee you won't get killed. Acting against orders might be the only way to save your life. It's fucked.
Facts.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
For the record, he had a gun. Does no one read the description in the video?

That's largely irrelevant though. Owning a gun isn't illegal. Possessing a fire arm isn't punishable by death. The gun was drawn before the cop ever realized there was a fire arm in the vehicle. If police officers cannot handle seeing firearms w/out thinking they'll need to execute someone, maybe it's time for us all to collectively reconsider the 2nd Amendment (we won't).

Oct 25, 2017
Every black person or minority with slightly brown skin must equip their smartphone with easy shortcuts to streaming/video recording actions (via Siri/Google Ass/etc), because by existing, they are living with a target on their back. It's unfortunate, but necessary.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The cop was not aware of this nor was the gun within reach of the ignition.

Truitt himself says the officer spotted his AR-15 on the backseat of his car.

The cop was DEFINITELY IN THE WRONG from start to finish. However I want the facts to be clear because the video has a pretty detailed description of the events (and someone also posted a news article) yet a lot of people don't seem to have read it.

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe there's even an argument here.

Us black people can't do SHIT. According to some of y'all, even recording (and saving my own life, mind you) is wrong and we should just follow the nice police officer's orders and nothing bad will happen.

Some of you in this thread are showing glimpses of your final form. I know who to ignore for here on out.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Incredible how calm the victim is, I'd be shitting myself panicking. And fuck that cop, really. Even though I've been seeing shit like that quite often through these boards, it's still hard to comprehend how encountering police can be one of the most frightening and dangerous things for a person.

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
Shitty ass cop is shitty but can't shake the feeling this guy filming only made things worse. I dunno how I would've reacted but it wouldn't be like that.

Still, shitty cop.

You ever stop to ask yourself why you're holding civilians to a higher standard than police? Why civilians are expected to stay calm while police can be in any emotional state they feel like despite being the one with all the power?

Flaurehn

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico City
Shitty ass cop is shitty but can't shake the feeling this guy filming only made things worse. I dunno how I would've reacted but it wouldn't be like that.

Still, shitty cop.

The guy is alive, can you really tell me that if he had handled the situation any other way he wouldn't be dead? Like whatever reaction other than filming and doing what he did has a 100% probability of he not being killed by a bloodlusted cop?

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
I agree. The filming defence works for the first part "hes got a gun" fine keep your hands up but after that he should have explained to the cop that he was going to turn off the ignition and defuse the situation. Instead of waiting to be pulled from the vehicle while the car was running.
yo if a cop has a gun on me and says "he's got a gun", I'm not moving my hands for the rest of the week

fuck that

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

The cop was DEFINITELY IN THE WRONG from start to finish. However I want the facts to be clear because the video has a pretty detailed description of the events (and someone also posted a news article) yet a lot of people don't seem to have read it.
The guy was literally reaching for ignition. The cop very clearly didn't see the firearm. It was very clearly a case of

*Cop orders minority to do something*

*Minority complies*

*Cop uses movement as an excuse to shoot, later saying he felt threatened*

The cop already had a gun out for no reason. Cop training in the US is a huge joke and this is yet another example of that being true, and not the only example that we could refer to today. Imma be blunt so for the stupid people:

IT DOES NOT MATTER IF THE COPS LATER FIND OUT THAT THE VICTIM DID IN FACT HAVE A GUN, WHEN THEY WERE UNAWARE AND PREPARED TO SHOOT ANYWAY EVEN AFTER ASKING HIM TO DO A SPECIFIC THING.

Stop policing how minorities should react in this situation.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
Racist, murderous pig. The other cops standing about doing absolutely fuck all are just as complicit.

People defending this horse shit and placing blame and responsibility on the victim should be banned. Happens in every thread.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
American cops continue to be the absolute worst.

If you believe that, then why did he repeatedly refuse to turn the ignition off even in front of the other cop right there watching?

You're either hilariously naive or straight up trolling.

Fuck that cop but nope, that "acab" mentality is idiotic and destructive. I cringe whenever I see that shit sprayed on somewhere, usually by some soccer hooligans.

Edit: Germany here, btw. We probably have a better good-cop-ratio than you but still.

Probably more like AACAB.

Never have I seen a case of a police officer in my country acting the way they do in America. That behavior would be bizarre to anyone here, that they would just walk up to someone, who has not committed any crimes, and point their gun to their face, threatening to kill them.

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
Would've made more sense to tell him to leave the car if he was so afraid of the gun in the back.

As it is just looks like looking for an excuse to shoot. Also when the civilian is more calm than the cop...that's a problem.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let me guess a three day ban and an invitation to make their bad faith arguments more subtle in the future.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
The guy was literally reaching for ignition. The cop very clearly didn't see the firearm. It was very clearly a case of

*Cop orders minority to do something*

*Minority complies*

*Cop uses movement as an excuse to shoot, later saying he felt threatened*

The cop already had a gun out for no reason. Cop training in the US is a huge joke and this is yet another example of that being true, and not the only example that we could refer to today.

Just to get this out of the way:

Truitt says the officer spotted his AR-15 on the backseat of his car.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Would've made more sense to tell him to leave the car if he was so afraid of the gun in the back.

As it is just looks like looking for an excuse to shoot. Also when the civilian is more calm than the cop...that's a problem.
Then they would've got him for turning his car into a weapon for leaving the vehicle without putting it in park.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017

The police also did not charge the victim with any gun-related charges, which speaks pretty loudly to who was in the wrong here.

Let's not try to downplay this by trying to back flip until you land on a justified excuse.

What the cop did was wrong.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Still, shitty cop.
He probably would've been shot had he not been filming this exchange.
Are we even watching the same video? The cop said turn off the car and he was talking shit non stop till they cuffed him.
Yea because he quickly moved his hand out of frame, guessing the cop freaked out and assumed the worse.
The cop said turn the car off so he could justify shooting him by saying the guy was reaching for a gun. He literally tried that bullshit on camera and was caught red handed.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Quite literally less than a second passes between

*Shut the car off*

*Guy moves to shut car off*

Cop:HE'S GOT A GUN *Points gun*

I would say that there genuinely couldn't be a more overt situation where a cop is very clearly out for blood, but unfortunately this is the United States of America and I'd be wrong. Like I said, arguing "well he DID have a gun."="He was no angel," which for many members here and in the US in general is the default response whenever a minority is threatened or killed by US police.

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Advocating mass violence; previously banned for advocating violence.
Here's the keeping it real.

UNTIL these bastards fear retaliation.

I.e they kill a black guy unarmed, and that person's family and friends come after them and straight up kill them in revenge? Until they fear THAT, nothing will change.

Cops will have to literally die by the hundreds in revenge killings until they get it.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Edit: Sorry Squarehard, didn't mean to quote you.

Quite literally less than a second passes between

*Shut the car off*

*Guy moves to shut car off*

Cop:HE'S GOT A GUN *Points gun*

I would say that there genuinely couldn't be a more overt situation where a cop is very clearly out for blood, but unfortunately this is the United States of America and I'd be wrong.

I know I just figured that's where the argument was going so I thought I'd head it off and just post it right off.

Lorcain

Oct 27, 2017
Of all the options available to him, he immediately chooses lethal force and keeps his firearm on the guy almost the entire time?? For those that don't know, this isn't the movies or TV where the cop would have to rack and chamber a round and then flick the safety off. He's already got a round in the chamber with only a trigger pull between life and death. It's fucking scary. Try to imagine being the driver with a firearm aimed at your head and chest with a live round in the chamber ready to kill you.

Seeing the other cops doing nothing to help deescalate the situation was incredibly disappointing too, like it's just another day of the week going straight to lethal force on a black driver.