• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
VWvO2j0.png

Spoiler Policy: Since this is a very narrative game, all encounter-related posts should be put in spoiler tags with the name of the scenario as the title

Example
This is the first scenario

fyagjjp.png

Arkham Horror: The Card Game is a cooperative "living card game" set in the "Arkham Files" universe. This universe is ripe with Lovecraftian mythos, but with more of a pulpy tone. This means that players actually have a chance at succeeding against the Elder Gods and other otherworldly horrors, although it's not an easy task.

This game expertly merges aspects of traditional CCG-style card games, board games, and roleplaying games. Players will take their character (called an investigator) through a series of interconnected scenarios that form a campaign. Depending on how things go for the players, the scenarios will mold and shift in different directions, giving a very rich and dynamic experience, in which it is very easy to get wrapped up in the story. Additionally, the investigator will grow by replacing cards in their deck using the experience gathered through the scenarios.

Arkham Horror works very well at all player counts, by scaling various aspects of the game, such as clues needed, enemy health, and encounter cards drawn. Additionally, the game has four difficulty levels, so the player will be able to customize their experience and make it as easy or as difficult as they wish.

GdKodkW.png

While all classes can perform all actions, some do certain things better than others, and end up fitting a certain "role" within a group.

Tv2LUTj.png
Guardian - The fighter/healer
CSqalBw.png
Mystic - Very high risk/high reward
3lqhbFM.png
Rogue - A jack of all trades
3IdxI5N.png
Seeker - The heavy duty clue gatherer
eyxCtTg.png
Survivor - The underdog

ihPqtfQ.png

Before starting the game, players will choose an investigator from one of the five factions and construct a deck based on some rules that are unique to that investigator. These decks typically run 33 cards (although this can vary), with 30 cards chosen by the player, two cards unique to that investigator (one good, one bad), and a random "weakness" card, which is something the character is affected by (such as hypochondria or paranoia).

After the deck is constructed, the players will start their chosen campaign. During a scenario, there are two sets of cards that help to progress the game. One is the "Agenda" deck, which is essentially a turn counter that you will be racing against. After a certain number of turns, the agenda will advance, and usually something bad will happen to you. The other deck is the "Act" deck, which can be advanced by various means, depending on the scenario. This is usually by gathering clues (by investigating), or killing enemies. Whether you finish the act deck or the agenda deck, the scenario is over. At that point, you will be given a resolution to read out of the campaign guide and you progress to the next scenario in the campaign.

On a player's turn, they will take three actions, such as fighting an enemy, investigating a location for a clue, or gathering a resource. For most of these actions, a skill check is required. These are performed by taking an investigator's stat (such as intelligence), and comparing it against a value found on another card. Then, the player will draw a token from the "Chaos Bag," which will modify their stat for that test. The Chaos Bag works similarly to a dice roll, but is infinitely more customizeable.

In between scenarios, you will have a chance to upgrade your deck by purchasing new cards with the XP you have earned in previous scenarios.

blgVIwV.png

A Living Card Game is a game that can be expanded by buying additional content that provides additional player cards and scenarios to play. These are not randomly packaged, so there is no concept of rarity as found in other games, such as Magic: The Gathering.

Expansions can come in two forms: Deluxe Expansions, and Mythos Packs. Each new campaign will start with a Deluxe Expansion, which will contain new investigators, player cards, and the first two scenarios. The rest of the campaign is contained within the Mythos Packs, which come out approximately once a month. These will contain additional player cards and one scenario.

Core Set
The "Starter" set - A self-contained three scenario campaign. Set in Arkham, Massachusetts. The investigators must uncover the strange nature of a threat to humanity.​
The Dunwich Legacy
The first full-length campaign, which takes place after the events of HP Lovecraft's "The Dunwich Horror."​
The Path to Carcosa
The second full-length campaign, which is based around The King in Yellow by Robert W. Chambers.​
The Forgotten Age
The third campaign, set during and around an expedition in Mesoamerica.​
The Circle Undone
The fourth campaign, centered around a cult in Arkham.​
Stand-Alone Scenarios
These can be played individually, or in between scenarios in a campaign.​
0QKx8yD.png

• FFG Product Page - Rules, campaign guides, starter decks, and the official FAQ can be found here.
  • Official FFG Tutorial Video - Polished tutorial video direct from Fantasy Flight Games
  • ArkhamDB - Deckbuilding tool (create your own or look at others)
  • Mythos Busters Podcast - A great podcast covering news, thoughts on cards, and loads of other content. They also have an excellent 2-part episode for new players.
  • Drawn to the Flame Podcast - Another excellent podcast that's typically a little more focused. Also has a great intro episode for new players, as well as "live play" sessions.
  • Arkham Chronicle Youtube Page - A number of videos on the game, including rules clarifications, scenario set-up guides and various other topics
  • Arkham Central - Repository of custom fan-made scenarios and campaigns
EIMo35P.png

• How many core sets do I need?
    You can play and enjoy the game with a single core set. However, your deckbuilding opportunities will really open up by buying a second. If you are playing a three or four player game, you will probably want to pick up a third set. You can technically play four players with two cores, but there will be no room for customizing decks at all.

• Can I mix cards from different campaigns?
    Absolutely. LCGs are designed to have an ever-expanding pool of cards available to the players. Sometimes using later cards might make the game more manageable, but you can always adjust the difficulty level to compensate if desired.

• Can I take the same investigator through multiple campaigns?
    Sure. However, this is not how the game was designed to be played. This may make the game easier (by having upgraded cards from the start) or more difficult (by having a damaged and traumatized investigator).

• Is insert product name here out of print?
    No. FFG is very good at keeping all of their LCG product on shelves as much as possible. If you can't find a product available, that is because it is in between print runs and should be back on shelves within a couple of months.

Kx6CuF4.png

Quite a few of us have invested some additional resources into the game to "pimp out" the experience. There are varying levels of (in)sanity, but these little touches help to bring the game to life and make an already gorgeous game look even better.

RC1IHCU.png

26mm coin capsules are a nice way to add a better feeling to the chaos bag. Additionally, it makes the bag easier to "shuffle" and adds some weight to the tokens.

lBUOJZ7.png

Upgraded resource tokens add an extra level to the game, and help to differentiate what the tokens represent. This is what I use when I play. Most of these were purchased at Meeplesource.
Top - Sanity, Health, Doom, Clues
Bottom - Resources, Bullets, Generic Uses, Spell Charges

KYOoe3w.png

A lot of players also like to use a playmat to make the cards easier to pick up and move around. FFG has a number of Arkham themed designs, or you can get a custom design printed by a number of online retailers.

SFjyTZN.png

Instead of using the investigator cards that come with the game, some people like to use miniatures. FFG sells these individually on their website (some are out of stock/out of print), or quite a few of them can be found in their Mansions of Madness game.

Feel free to join the conversations and ask questions if they're not answered here. Please keep any scenario-related questions/topics in spoilers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
Is the teddy bear legit? I don't look at spoilers before I get a pack.

Excited for Echoes dropping tomorrow!

dabbert

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's legit as far as I know. I've been trying to go in blind for this pack but I'm bad and sneak a little peek sometimes at the Mythos Busters spoiler channel.

Last edited:

MyQuarters

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I've got everything in the first cycle, but still have only played what came in the original box.

Really need to get up to date with this fantastic game!

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Well it's spoilers for player cards but I really never counted those.

It is a fantastic card though.

Mistle

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I've got everything in the first cycle, but still have only played what came in the original box.

Really need to get up to date with this fantastic game!
I'm almost in the same boat (I've also played the first big box). Loved it, but for whatever reason haven't gone back to it since and played any of the Mythos Packs. Gotta change that!

I also played one of the standalone ones, Curse of Ragnarok. Died :(

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I really want to play this game... seems early enough for me to jump in and keep up.

How much solo replayability is there with this?

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
I really want to play this game... seems early enough for me to jump in and keep up.

How much solo replayability is there with this?

Quite a bit, actually. Almost all scenarios have some setup variability with certain locations or act cards being randomized. Also, the different investigators play very differently. As you move through a campaign, there are quite a few branching paths which will also lead to a very different experience.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
This game got me pretty heavily into board games at the start of the year. Great game. Bout to start a second run through of the Dunwich campaign with my friend.

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
With the new mythos pack coming out today, should we decide on an "official" spoiler policy. I know on our previous home, we were pretty good about keeping anything story-related in spoiler tags, even if it was for the core campaign. Should we keep it that way, or take the more standardized route of only keeping the most recent content in spoilers?

I guess our situation is different than the podcasts, as anyone can go back and look at old posts. Therefore, someone just now getting interested in the game could get lots of cool encounter stuff spoiled for them. I'd like opinions on if we should change things going forward?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Spoiler tag story stuff since how far someone is in this games story can vary widly on funds to buy mythos packs.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Quite a bit, actually. Almost all scenarios have some setup variability with certain locations or act cards being randomized. Also, the different investigators play very differently. As you move through a campaign, there are quite a few branching paths which will also lead to a very different experience.

That sounds pretty awesome... I might pick up the base set & a playmat (prefer them to sleeves). Any suggestions for expacks or is that good to start with?

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
That sounds pretty awesome... I might pick up the base set & a playmat (prefer them to sleeves). Any suggestions for expacks or is that good to start with?
Since this game is campaign based, you'll want to start with the core set. I'd recommend playing that a couple times before taking the big plunge. After that, you have two options: Dunwich Legacy or Path to Carcosa. These two deluxe expansions start out the larger campaigns. From that point, you'll want to continue with the myths packs for that campaign in order. Each campaign is a deluxe and then six mythos packs.

Dunwich is completely released, so you should be able to get all of that content right away. Carcosa will have its first mythos pack released today, and they'll come out on a monthly basis. I'd say that Carcosa is a little bit more difficult right now, so I'd still suggest Dunwich as the next step after the core.

You can play each scenario as a "stand-alone," but you will be losing out on a lot of the overarching story elements which make this game so cool and unique.

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With the new mythos pack coming out today, should we decide on an "official" spoiler policy. I know on our previous home, we were pretty good about keeping anything story-related in spoiler tags, even if it was for the core campaign. Should we keep it that way, or take the more standardized route of only keeping the most recent content in spoilers?

I guess our situation is different than the podcasts, as anyone can go back and look at old posts. Therefore, someone just now getting interested in the game could get lots of cool encounter stuff spoiled for them. I'd like opinions on if we should change things going forward?
I'd rather everything story-based be spoiler-tagged, otherwise I'd have to unsubscribe from this thread given I'm not up to date.

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the feedback on the spoiler policy. You guys are right. People are playing at drastically different rates, so it probably makes sense to just keep things spoilered forever. I'll go ahead and put something near the top of the OP.

Edit: OP updated. As a side note, holy shit at the WYSIWYG editor!

Last edited:

KiKaL

Oct 26, 2017
Just picked up Echoes of The Past on the way into work this morning. I still need to finish Dunwich first though hah. Just finished Undimensioned and Unseen last night so almost there.

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
Just got Echos today. Some interesting cards but nothing vital for me. I'm not a massive fan of any of the 'resources for skill up' cards that aren't permanent so composure cards aren't really doing it for me. The Teddy Keepsake is pretty good though and I like the idea of the mystic ally, although using doom as a resource is always real dicey.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
The Mystic doom stuff has so much potential to be great but there just isn't enough to make it work all that well just yet. There needs to be an investigator that can easily remove doom from your cards to make it work right.

SCHUEY 117

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious to see what FFG had in store for the Arkham line after the announcement of the Interactive division. We already have MoM 2E and Elder Sign, but I'm sure there will be much more to come.

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
The Mystic doom stuff has so much potential to be great but there just isn't enough to make it work all that well just yet. There needs to be an investigator that can easily remove doom from your cards to make it work right.

A while back I did a game with everyone doing homebrew characters and one of my mates was a mystic who could at the beginning of the mythos phrase spend 1 resource to remove all doom from one card he controlled. That character was a little out of control, being able to flush Blood Pact every turn made him very OP but there was something interesting there. Rewording him into something more like a dripfeed doom removal rather then being able to get rid of all of it could make for an great weird mystic yeah.

I'm curious to see what FFG had in store for the Arkham line after the announcement of the Interactive division. We already have MoM 2E and Elder Sign, but I'm sure there will be much more to come.

If that Legacy of Dragonholt game does well I wouldn't be surprised if we get something similar for the Arkham universe.

Sylar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I heard the android app is really good for this game; i like the game but i kinda hate the micromanagement (which I know, is nothing compared to the board game). Hope it comes to IOS

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
I heard the android app is really good for this game; i like the game but i kinda hate the micromanagement (which I know, is nothing compared to the board game). Hope it comes to IOS
Long time, no see, Sylar!

The Android app is really only just a campaign log and maybe a chaos bag replacement, right? The scenario setups can be a bit of a pain, but I always just have everything pre-built, which makes it easy. I proxy any encounter cards that I don't have enough copies of and just put them in a sleeve with a card I'm never going to need.

KiKaL

Oct 26, 2017
The Android app is really nice. The best part is that guides you through the set up of the next scenario based on the results of all the previous results. You can basically get rid of the instructions sheets in each pack and rely purely on the app. Of course, I would never get rid of them but it is nice. It does also have the chaos bag but I enjoy pulling the tokens. For those who don't use the app, do you use the Google sheet to keep track or what?

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
The Android app is really nice. The best part is that guides you through the set up of the next scenario based on the results of all the previous results. You can basically get rid of the instructions sheets in each pack and rely purely on the app. Of course, I would never get rid of them but it is nice. It does also have the chaos bag but I enjoy pulling the tokens. For those who don't use the app, do you use the Google sheet to keep track or what?

I print out the campaign log from FFG's site. If I'm playing multiple campaigns, I'll just write my additions/subtractions at the bottom of the sheet.

I'd like something nice for iOS, but there's nothing available. I'm half-tempted to make a responsive webpage that can do all that stuff and it'll work on all platforms automatically. Maybe if I get bored over the holiday break.

dabbert

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No Echoes anywhere near me! ARGH One place's shipment was delayed for a week and the other was supposed to get it early but neither Echoes or the new (?) Destiny stuff was delivered.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
I'm waiting on my Team Covenant sub to come in. They charged me for it, so hopefully it's here any day now.

pramod

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, did not see this already posted. Mods please delete my repost request thread.

dabbert

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm puzzled as to the point of the new composure cards - is it just the single horror soak, fast/low cost, and (for some,) the icons available on them? Seem kind of underwhelming.

Totakeke

Oct 25, 2017
I'm puzzled as to the point of the new composure cards - is it just the single horror soak, fast/low cost, and (for some,) the icons available on them? Seem kind of underwhelming.

You described a bunch of good things about the cards and you're puzzled? :P

It definitely depends if you already run similar asset stat pump cards, if your deck is too poor to afford those these won't change anything. Furthermore, you can assign damage to other assets you control before these and more importantly, they allow you to pump stats that the other assets don't. For example, survivor will have full stat coverage with Plucky and Scrapper. Also, the limit 1 in play is per investigator rather than per game.

Last edited:

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I was lucky I got mine on Thursday. I got to be king of my local game club for one night when I walked in with Echos and most people didn't even know it was out.

Has anyone completed the 2nd scenario in the Carcosa campaign (The Last King?). I've ran it twice and
both times I've not successfully interviewed a single person. One game we killed all but one and the other we killed everyone (although we got very close to getting the final clue off one of them. Unsure if it is just complete incompetence on our part or if it is just very very tough. How did other people get on with that?

dabbert

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Edit: hold up lol Disregard the below actually. While I was brushing my teeth, I was thinking about Sefina/Jenny, some of the upcoming cards spoiled for later packs in the cycle, and true solo. Freeing up an action, the low cost of composures, less horror flying around in general, having access to Hot Streak, Charisma, etc. will enable some sick combos.

You described a bunch of good things about the cards and you're puzzled? :P

It definitely depends if you already run similar asset stat pump cards, if your deck is too poor to afford those these won't change anything. Furthermore, you can assign damage to other assets you control before these and more importantly, they allow you to pump stats that the other assets don't. For example, survivor will have full stat coverage with Plucky and Scrapper. Also, the limit 1 in play is per investigator rather than per game.
My thinking is mostly for an early campaign purchase, I guess. It just doesn't seem worthwhile to me until you have exp to burn, especially Combat Training and Grounded. Most Guardians and Mystics already have boosts for the tests they'll need those composure cards for or already have high innate values or they're tests (Guardians and agility) they will be rarely taking anyway and a couple of skill cards would probably be a better investment since your resources will probably going to other assets like weapons, spells, etc. so won't be available for a clutch skill test.

I'm sure folks are already working on Sefina/Jenny decks that completely break the game with Moxie though lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone completed the 2nd scenario in the Carcosa campaign (The Last King?). I've ran it twice and
both times I've not successfully interviewed a single person. One game we killed all but one and the other we killed everyone (although we got very close to getting the final clue off one of them. Unsure if it is just complete incompetence on our part or if it is just very very tough. How did other people get on with that?
We didn't have any problems with it running Yorick and Sefina.

I think it really comes down to what difficulty you play at. I'm still on Easy, although I think I could step it up and still have a good time. My partner isn't very fond of playing a co-op for a long period, and then losing. He's gotten pretty upset when he's drawn the tentacle several times in one scenario. I didn't complain when he shot me twice in one turn and knocked me out during the first scenario in Dunwich. I thought it was very fitting within the narrative.

I'm interested in trying some of those new skill buffs, as they're fast, and I love fast cards. Speaking of new cards, how do you guys handle new level 0 cards when you're already in a campaign? I know the rules say that they cost 1XP anyways, but during Dunwich, we just traded out if they were level 0.

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
I'm interested in trying some of those new skill buffs, as they're fast, and I love fast cards. Speaking of new cards, how do you guys handle new level 0 cards when you're already in a campaign? I know the rules say that they cost 1XP anyways, but during Dunwich, we just traded out if they were level 0.

We generally use the 1xp ruling. I've found I so rarely want to stick in a new 0 pip card that having them cost a single xp isn't a major issue. Their was some talk a while back in my groups about letting anyone take Adaptable which would let you squirrel a few 0 pip cards into your deck at no cost, but we never went forward with that.