• The ResetEra Games of the Year Awards 2018 results are now live! Congratulations to all the winners!
  • Sidebar and Width settings will now no longer reset after 4 hours of inactivity! We have implemented a new system that will remember these preferences on each browser, for both members and guests. This allows you to choose different settings on different devices if you so desire.

Arkham Horror: The Card Game |OT| Cards of Cthulhu

OP
OP
XShagrath
Oct 25, 2017
My only issue with using the return boxes to exclusively store those scenarios is that each of hte campaigns rely on me using the core set encounter sets to the point where I feel more at ease putting them in a position where they're going to always be available for the picking. Otherwise I'd have to open return to Zealot everytime I want to play a campaign.
Up until yesterday, I was prebuilding everything. So I have 15 core sets worth of encounter sets. I can have a core set with every campaign, no problems.

Oct 25, 2017
Up until yesterday, I was prebuilding everything. So I have 15 core sets worth of encounter sets. I can have a core set with every campaign, no problems.
I only bought two core sets so I could probably afford enough for Return of Zealot and Return of Dunwich (and nothing else)...of course, I'd have to look through my custom scenarios and see which cards I used to put the proxy sleeves together, lol..

My only issue with using the return boxes to exclusively store those scenarios is that each of hte campaigns rely on me using the core set encounter sets to the point where I feel more at ease putting them in a position where they're going to always be available for the picking. Otherwise I'd have to open return to Zealot everytime I want to play a campaign.
Not if you bought an extra core set for each Return campaign...

(I’m totally contemplating doing this)

Oct 26, 2017
You actually don't need the core set encounter cards at all for Return to Dunwich. They provide new encounter sets that replace the original core encounter sets in the Dunwich scenarios that need them. Its nice cos I've now got Zealot and Dunwich campaigns both boxed up and next time I want to play them I just need the cards in that box alone (and the player cards of course).

OP
OP
XShagrath
Oct 25, 2017
You actually don't need the core set encounter cards at all for Return to Dunwich. They provide new encounter sets that replace the original core encounter sets in the Dunwich scenarios that need them. Its nice cos I've now got Zealot and Dunwich campaigns both boxed up and next time I want to play them I just need the cards in that box alone (and the player cards of course).
I'm going to store all of Dunwich and Return to Dunwich in the same box, so I can switch between them as necessary.

Oct 27, 2017
You just need to buy more Core set. : P

Oct 25, 2017
CT
Just pull an Xshagrath and buy enough copies of the core box to ensure every scenario is pre built :P

Oct 25, 2017
With two Cores, I'm loosely planning to have one set of NotZ encounters permanently packaged with Return to the Night of the Zealot while I keep the second one with my player cards as part of my "For all campaigns" box. That way for any given campaign I just need my player box and my campaign box for that campaign.

It's much easier to just work in terms of swapping those encounters around rather than lugging the entirety of RttNotZ each time! When you take out the scenario-specific cards, there's only, what, forty or so?

Edit: Just counted them up. I'm assuming the Cult of Umordhoth cards are scenario-specific even though they're a separate set from Midnight Masks, which means there's a nice round fifty encounter cards that aren't Scenario-specific in Core:

5 Cult of Umordhoth (Presumably not included)
3 Rats
7 Ghouls
7 Striking Fear
3 Ancient Evils
4 Chilling Cold
6 Dark Cult
4 Nightgaunts
2 Locked Doors
4 Agents of... x4 = 16

Last edited:
OP
OP
XShagrath
Oct 25, 2017
Just pull an Xshagrath and buy enough copies of the core box to ensure every scenario is pre built :P
As mentioned a little bit earlier, I've decided to drop out of that race. TFA had put a big hurt on me, as that Poison encounter set is used seven times! I think I only bought four of those, and was waiting to see a really good price to get the other three. After purchasing Return to Dunwich and wanting to keep that pre-built as well, I'd have to buy who knows how many copies of that. So, I'm going to cut my losses, and purchase things in the future like a semi-sane individual.

I've got enough core sets where I can include their encounter cards with each campaign, and if we go past fifteen campaigns, I'll buy another core set for each one, so that I can have all cards needed contained in a single box, along with its "Return" companion.

Oct 25, 2017
Had my first sleeving session last night, sleeved my entire first Core. It's rather therapeutic when you just stick something on the telly and get at it!

Wish I could make up my mind as to quite where I want the opening on Act/Agenda cards, though.

(Also now I have a nicely sleeved deck, I can start to try to get my head around the mash shuffle)

Edit:

* I think my chaos tokens are faulty; I'm sure I just put one tentacle token into the bag, but it appears to multiply in there exponentially. Should I submit a bug report?
As a corollary to this, I'm currently playing my first game after putting my tokens in coin capsules, and since I did that, I have drawn the Elder Sign three times in a row. The chaos bag is pleased with my plasticy tribute.

Edit2: I have now drawn the tentacle three times too. I angered the bag by talking about it.

Last edited: