• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
I had no idea about this thread. I'll try to post when I can.

I have one core set, one Dunwich deluxe expansion, and also ordered the first two Dunwich chapter packs.

Ive gone through the core with Roland and done the first Dunwich scenario with both Roland and Jenny. Found the core to be really difficult but Dunwich first scenario is way easier.

Pretty much my experience as well. Dunwich has felt a fair bit simpler, I am currently doing a true solo Jenny run.

I just played the first and second scenario of base Dunwich. The first went without issue (Extracurricular Activities), the second I failed running out of time to
leave the club before it collapses
. The worst part was that I was one action away from success and I could tell about 2 turns out how it was all going to pan out...I risked it hoping an advantageous card might present itself but probably should have just
made a swift exit from the club after the VIP room without the detour to pick up clover character.

Really enjoying Dunwich, The House Always Wins in particular feels super thematic with a lot of interesting stuff going on.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Just did my first run of The Miskatonic Museum, very enjoyable but I didn't find it quite as fun as The House Always Wins. It is the first scenario that has really pushed me close to loosing due to card draw though.

I managed to win more through sheer luck, the restricted hall was thankfully the first card to be pulled after the initial three halls and I only had to go to a single hall for a clue to pull it. The hunting horror had only powered up one level so wasn't too threatening but as I mentioned I only had three cards left in my deck at the end due to some choices made resolving the enemy deck which really pushed me close to a loss.

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My wife and I have been slowly working through everything the game has throughout the year and we are up to forgotten age now. We had heard a lot of horror stories and a lot of recommendations to play it one difficulty level lower than you're used to. We did follow that advice so we're just on easy but 3 scenarios in so far and we're having a great time. Aced the first two and just barely missed completing all three objectives on the very last turn of the third scenario.

The third scenario pulling in the midnight masks locations felt great and did a lot to make Arkham feel like a real place to the game. The scenario just also felt a lot better than midnight masks in general. We've done MM a few times now with various player sizes and always felt it was a little RNG dependent a relief a bit on knowing what was coming. Only one play on this scenario obviously but I felt like those weren't concerns. I did peek a little behind the curtain and it does seem like you can get super combat heavy versions or super heavy clue gathering which could be tougher if you specced more towards balance.

We also saw that we are supplying up again next which we'll see how it goes considering we did a poor job choosing supplies the first time.

Antiquegamer

Oct 27, 2017
My wife and I have been slowly working through everything the game has throughout the year and we are up to forgotten age now. We had heard a lot of horror stories and a lot of recommendations to play it one difficulty level lower than you're used to. We did follow that advice so we're just on easy but 3 scenarios in so far and we're having a great time. Aced the first two and just barely missed completing all three objectives on the very last turn of the third scenario.

The third scenario pulling in the midnight masks locations felt great and did a lot to make Arkham feel like a real place to the game. The scenario just also felt a lot better than midnight masks in general. We've done MM a few times now with various player sizes and always felt it was a little RNG dependent a relief a bit on knowing what was coming. Only one play on this scenario obviously but I felt like those weren't concerns. I did peek a little behind the curtain and it does seem like you can get super combat heavy versions or super heavy clue gathering which could be tougher if you specced more towards balance.

We also saw that we are supplying up again next which we'll see how it goes considering we did a poor job choosing supplies the first time.
I think the difficulty of TFA was just over blown because people didn't like the Supply mechanic (and it was sort of skew for multi-players) plus random Trauma never going to make anyone happy. The first two scenarios , the difficulty were also a lot higher than previous core expansions. The designer stated that he sort of want people investigators to die and replace after the first two so it would seem like you are following another set of investigators and discovered their old journal but I don't think people like the idea of building a deck and then having to build two more. I think he took the idea and change it a bit with TCU where you play a non-Investigator characters in prologue. I like TFA and some mechanic (like exploration) can be clunky but I like how thematic it is. Despite the shortcoming I think it was still way better than Dunwich Legacy.

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think the difficulty of TFA was just over blown because people didn't like the Supply mechanic (and it was sort of skew for multi-players) plus random Trauma never going to make anyone happy. The first two scenarios , the difficulty were also a lot higher than previous core expansions. The designer stated that he sort of want people investigators to die and replace after the first two so it would seem like you are following another set of investigators and discovered their old journal but I don't think people like the idea of building a deck and then having to build two more. I think he took the idea and change it a bit with TCU where you play a non-Investigator characters in prologue. I like TFA and some mechanic (like exploration) can be clunky but I like how thematic it is. Despite the shortcoming I think it was still way better than Dunwich Legacy.

Still haven't hit more yet since we've been busy this week but I can see that. We've lucked and out only gotten one trauma between the two of us. Supply mechanic feels bad to me so far since it's felt like it's been kind of random what has been an important item and what just ended up being relegated to a meh location action. Exploring feels good though, even though we keep getting top heavy with the treacheries in the pile, it does still feel like it's a good fit for the campaign.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Finished our first run of The Circle Undone with Daisy and Ursula. Really felt like we fumbled through the whole thing. I will say that "For the Greater Good" was easily my favorite scenario in the campaign and one of the best in the series.

In the final scenario...

Ursula ended up going insane right at the very end, right as we had we had revealed the throne and simply needed to get all the clues off. Archaic Glyphs: Prophesy Foretold, combined with Higher Education, ended up providing the clutch last action win. Well "win." Daisy still ended up going insane too but at least Azathoth didn't devour everything.

QUQUx2V.jpg

We started a Return to Carcosa run today with Tommy and Lola. I had been wanting to use Lola for a while but could never seem to crack her with regards to deck building. I think I have finally figured out a solid build. We managed to get through Curtain Call in one piece which is no small accomplishment. Also the narrative has been absolutely hilarious.

Tommy being a cop and checking out the mysterious play and running into Lola totally fits as far as "why the hell are these two working together?" The real fun came after they escaped the theater and went to the police where the other cops blew off Tommy. Poor rookie cop.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I really want to start this game but I only have another player with zero experience with LCG and I feel like I could end up somewhat entertained by the story but without a second player after the first scenario :/

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm almost done with my first Carcosa playthrough, only the last scenario left. I've really been enjoying how different the scenarios feel. Some fairly creative stuff!

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Continuing where I left off in my last post. We have now complete Forgotten Age, I am proud to say that we won the campaign though we did have a dead Ursula (Charon's Obel is really a liability in this campaign). Mateo getting a free 5 exp out the gate really got him up and running to slot in quick though. All in all, I'd say I liked it.

As far as actual endings go, we got a clutch parley with Ichtaca on the first turn she was out and were dismayed when we saw what the option was on the back. We stuck with humanity and were able to clutch out evaporating Ichtaca and Alejandro in only two turns due to Mateo having both his level 5 shriveling available. Again, super fun campaign and we were on easy but it somehow kept working out that the very last turn of the scenario would be a nail biter. At the end, we needed one more location and Mateo and Leo were both one horror away from dying, Mateo failed all of his attempts at fusing because he drew the skull twice in a row which was -4 because of the relic, Leo only had one reasonable chance to make a check because of an enemy on him and I pulled the blue which has probably been the wildest ending to a campaign we've had. For the new mechanics they brought, I think exploration was a good way to keep scenarios fresh but supplies were a big yikes. They offered nothing to the game, either you chose right or wrong and in a blind playthrough, not much is really telegraphed to you for what will be important or not. We didn't qualify for the epilogue because we never bought a pocket knife (I know we could have done better with Ichtaca which....we almost did but we left her for last back in the arkham city chapter for story reasons and missed completing her objective by one turn) but we are still going to play the scenario for the novelty since I doubt we'll hit up this campaign again for awhile.

I think my personal rating of what I've played is Carcosa>Dunwich>FA>NotZ which is funny since Carcosa is the only campaign we've lost at this point (we got the hardest last scenario in our blind play through for people who know what that means).

CaptNink

Oct 27, 2017
B.C, Canada
Got the core set yesterday for my bday! Been reading the rules and excited to start. I'm going to try and convince my son to play with me, but I might have to bribe him. How is playing this game solo?

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
Got the core set yesterday for my bday! Been reading the rules and excited to start. I'm going to try and convince my son to play with me, but I might have to bribe him. How is playing this game solo?
It's a lot of fun, in fact I think it is its most atmospherically lovecraftian in solo play. I do prefer multi overall but it's hard for the horror to feel oppressive while their are 2+ players running about. The one problem with solo play is the setup can be a bit of a mission, although I found it got easier as I got more used to the game overall.

CaptNink

Oct 27, 2017
B.C, Canada
Ok, so I stumbled through my first solo playthrough last night and it's safe to say I'm hooked and giddy! This game is so far up my alley it's in a new zip code!

I'm looking through all the expansions and drooling. The Path to Carcosa has caught my interest as I love "The King in Yellow". Is that a good choice for my next purchase? (after buying a second core set, of course)

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking through all the expansions and drooling. The Path to Carcosa has caught my interest as I love "The King in Yellow". Is that a good choice for my next purchase? (after buying a second core set, of course)
I'd say Carcosa or Dunwich are the best expansions to jump into next as full campaigns.

Also, at this point, the card pool is so large that you almost don't even need a second core set anymore.

Dec 1, 2017
How does everyone handle proxy cards, notably for investigator decks?

Do you just photocopy the cards you need (obviously if you already have them in your physical collection) and just slip the trimmed paper over an unused card in a sleeve?

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017

Do you just photocopy the cards you need (obviously if you already have them in your physical collection) and just slip the trimmed paper over an unused card in a sleeve?
Blank playing cards, write on em what the card is meant to represent and all the rules and slip them into a card sleeve (one with a coloured back so it matches the rest of the sleeved deck). It ain't the most pretty solution, but it is quick and inexpensive (for me especially so because I use blank playing cards as aids for various war games all the time, so they are always lying around).

nuffDREW4two

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much. Since I use colored sleeves (each investigator archetype has their color), I end up using old Magic cards to provide the backing. We play during our lunch hour at work, so a quick run over to the photocopier when we need an extra card is no issue.
Edit: We play mostly three player, so proxies are almost a must. The Dream Eaters will be interesting if we have to build six decks - re-sleeving every other day seems like a chore.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger

We don't, as it is a nice way to encourage more creative deck building. That said I have like four core sets so I have multiples of the cards you would be likeliest to want multiples of like Holy Rosary and Deduction...

CaptNink

Oct 27, 2017
B.C, Canada
The weekend is here - can't wait to put some more time into Arkham Horror! I've been reading through the rules every chance I get, and I think I have everything figured out.

So from what I understand from the rules, if a monster is already engaged with an Investigator, and another Investigator moves into the same area, that Investigator can use an action to engage the monster. The monster than disengages from it's current target and engages the new investigator. So that sounds like a viable tactic to pull a monster off an Investigator so they can escape the area without incurring an attack of opportunity. Do I have that right?

And now dumb question time: the new investigators that come packaged with the deluxe expansions can be used in all campaigns, or are they intended to be used in only the campaign they came with?

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1) Yes. You can engage to get a monster off another investigator. The drawback, of course, is that it uses an action.

2) You can use any investigator (or player card) in any campaign

nuffDREW4two

Oct 27, 2017
Quick questions:

1. If I run two copies of Ancient Stone with the intent to turn both into Ancient Stone (Knowledge of the Elders), am I only required to "identify the stone" once? Both will get X secrets equal to the first time it was identified?
2. Even if I run two copies of Ancient Stone, can they only be upgraded to the same upgraded version (i.e. can't have both Knowledge of the Elders and Minds in Harmony if I "identify the stone" each copy of the base Ancient Stone)?

Last edited:

Kastenessen

Nov 2, 2017
Quick questions:

1. If I run two copies of Ancient Stone with the intent to turn both into Ancient Stone (Knowledge of the Elders), am I only required to "identify the stone" once? Both will get X secrets equal to the first time it was identified?
2. Even if I run two copies of Ancient Stone, can they only be upgraded to the same upgraded version (i.e. can't have both Knowledge of the Elders and Minds in Harmony)?
Upgrading the Ancient Stone requires the 'identified the stone' note in your campaign log, so you only need to do it once.

They don't need to be the same version though (see: Shrewd Analysis, upgrading a second copy for free with the second copy chosen at random from the eligible options. Carloyn Fern can only take the Minds in Harmony upgrade for example, so Shrewd Analysis is worth picking up in that case).

nuffDREW4two

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the quick reply!

Edit: We've just started our three-player blind run through Carcosa today at lunch. I'm playing Minh and will add the Stones after I get some XP, a friend is Akachi, and our other is Yorick. Shouldn't take too many more rounds to finish up the first scenario.

I kinda like the idea of taking gators from the campaign their from for our first go at it. Using some preconstructed decks from ArkhamDB since we aren't quite experienced enough to construct our own. We'll see how we do.

Last edited:

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Played through Murder at the Excelsior Hotel. Easily the best standalone scenario released so far. My brother played Preston and I used Leo. It didn't feel as punishingly difficult as the other standalone scenarios which was nice, and narratively it was on point. I am interested in running through it again in the future to see all the other endings/bosses.

Decks can be found below:

Leo and Preston's Night at the Hotel
Ally heavy Shotgun build with Well Prepared to help boost stats when combined with Mitch Brown.​

Preston and Leo's Night at the Hotel
Pay to win clue gatherer. Lots of guaranteed success plays and a ton of money accumulated by the end.​

Bonus: Some pictures of the end game state.
M8cpZun.jpg

mWfVFme.jpg

1ynB51e.jpg

KiKaL

Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully getting back into this game. I have played it for years but recently had a baby so that kind of stopped me from playing. For a bit I was playing a lot on Tabletop simulator since I could save my game at any moment and stop. I stopped halfway through Circle Undone with an unplayed, Guardians of The Abyss and Return to Carcosa. I finally played the first half of Guardians of the Abyss and forgot how much fun it is playing with the tangible cards. I ordered Dream Eaters and Murder at the Exelsior Hotel since I am stupid (I still need to finish Circle Undone, Return to Carcosa and Guardians of the Abyss). I just hate being behind and fearing that when I catch up, I wont be able to find the packs.

I am hoping to play more though now because I have a huge board that I can set the game on and move it to get it out of the way if necessary.

nuffDREW4two

Oct 27, 2017
Return to the Forgotten Age has been announced, with all the usual - new encounters, locations, player cards, etc.
ahc46_spread.png

We'll be finishing up our Carcosa campaign next week, and I hope to delve into TFA next.

Edit (18 Feb): Innsmouth is next, plus a new and unannounced type of product coming out between Return to TFA and the next cycle.

Last edited:

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
The new product announcement happened on FFG's Instagram. They just revealed Investigator Starter Decks similar to the Marvel Champions Hero Decks, are coming. First off the ranks is a new Investigator, Nathaniel Cho. He is a boxer.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2017
I'm excited for those. Hopefully this will allow for some crazy and cool new action cards for all classes.

The only other thing I'm hoping for is some randomization system for encounters/enemies that isn't crazy difficult.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
We have an official reveal of the investigator decks now.

1i1NFUq.png

Bullet points:

* 34-card deck, ready to play
* Also 26 cards to upgrade into
* "primarily" new cards (I see a copy of Physical Training in Nathaniel's deck, so they're not all new)

Nathaniel Cho has +1 damage as default (albeit once per phase)

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I really need to buy the rest and actually do the carcossa campaign. Maybe this weekend I'll dive in to the first half I own.

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
Winifred looks pretty great as well, I'm digging that "devil may care" attitude. I'm a bit concerned about power creep, but I guess we'll. From what I heard, these decks are the only place to get these investigators.

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
Winifred looks pretty great as well, I'm digging that "devil may care" attitude. I'm a bit concerned about power creep, but I guess we'll. From what I heard, these decks are the only place to get these investigators.
I literally don't understand the concept of "power creep" in a cooperative game. Not a dig at you, just my own opinion.

Is it that people feel that all scenarios will be made more difficult just because certain cards exist?

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
I literally don't understand the concept of "power creep" in a cooperative game. Not a dig at you, just my own opinion.

Is it that people feel that all scenarios will be made more difficult just because certain cards exist?
No offense taken, you've got it right, though - the concern is that more powerful cards become "must haves", and scenarios become built around having those cards.

I don't know if you ever played MMOs, but any time a new expansion came out, there would be a new set of gear to go after that was more powerful and better than the stuff that had previously been released. Even though I played PvE, I still needed that new gear since the new areas were typically designed assuming people had it. And then you just end up tossing all your old gear, because it was underpowered.

I have no reason to doubt FFG's game design chops here, I'm just a little gunshy after playing online games that went down that path.

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
No offense taken, you've got it right, though - the concern is that more powerful cards become "must haves", and scenarios become built around having those cards.

I don't know if you ever played MMOs, but any time a new expansion came out, there would be a new set of gear to go after that was more powerful and better than the stuff that had previously been released. Even though I played PvE, I still needed that new gear since the new areas were typically designed assuming people had it. And then you just end up tossing all your old gear, because it was underpowered.

I have no reason to doubt FFG's game design chops here, I'm just a little gunshy after playing online games that went down that path.
I think that the taboo list is a way of addressing that power creep. Also, the way the game is designed in that you only need the core set and the campaign you're playing puts some sort of cap on the difficulty. They can't make assumptions that everyone has the full card pool.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
If anything they've tried to reverse power creep by putting out errata to nerf some of the stronger cards from earlier sets and XShagrath said. I feel like all of FF's Arkham Files games are designed around the player being at a fairly consistent strength level and the more abilities/characters are more for spicing it up changing one small strength and weakness for another.

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
I'd never heard of this game until the lockdown bit I bought the core set plus dunwich and I'm loving it so far. Finished the first couple of scenarios in NotZ a few times each but getting absolutely spanked in scenario 3.

I've read this whole thread to catch up but quick question - the core set comes with a few white mob enemies found in the player deck. I've seen no use for these yet, have I missed something?

Memento Mori

Oct 26, 2017
I'd never heard of this game until the lockdown bit I bought the core set plus dunwich and I'm loving it so far. Finished the first couple of scenarios in NotZ a few times each but getting absolutely spanked in scenario 3.

I've read this whole thread to catch up but quick question - the core set comes with a few white mob enemies found in the player deck. I've seen no use for these yet, have I missed something?
Do you mean the weakness cards?

arkhamdb.com

Mob Enforcer · ArkhamDB

Prey - Bearer only. Hunter. [action] Spend 4 resources: Parley. Discard Mob Enforcer.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017

You're *probably* thinking of basic weaknesses, which can take several different forms, including enemies. If you're only starting out with the suggested decks, you're told to add some specific weaknesses in the construction process (one personal one, and one basic one - for the beginner Roland I *think* that'd be Cover Up and maybe Amnesia?), but if you're building a deck from scratch, the instructions will tell you to add your character's specific weakness and a random basic weakness - which means you should shuffle together all the basic weaknesses you currently own and pick one randomly to add to your deck. There's further rules for when building a deck to use with campaign scenarios played standalone and out-of-order - you're permitted to build the deck with some 'free' experience, but for every 10 experience you spend, you'd have to add one extra random basic weakness.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

Those are basic weaknesses, when you deck build you add one random basic weakness along with your character specific weakness and unique item.

Also I would highly recommend getting a second core box and then deck building going forward. The core box is the only set in Arkham Horror to only give one card of each kind, all other expansions give 2 each (which is the max per deck). Like almost any tcg you'll want 2 of your staple cards depending upon character for consistency.

I'd also suggest for solo play using two characters, it enables you to build decks that compliment each other (usually a baddie killer and a clue finder) and helps to reduce moments when you're completely stuck which can happen in a single character game.

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
Thanks for the responses, I completely overlooked they were weakness cards as I didn't expect them to take the form of enemies. I also didn't realise you had to add a weakness for every 10 XP spent. Does the extra weakness take up a slot in the 30-card limit?

For now I'm playing 2-handed solo plus a less regular co-op game with my GF. There's not much room for customisation at all yet so I think I'll definitely get a second core shortly to bolster our options.

I've been using Agnes and Skids for my attempts at scenario 3 but they've often let me down in the fighting. Didn't help last time that I drew the cthulhu disc 3 times in the row >>

One more quick question, and it's probably down to personal taste - when I lost in scenario 3, am I meant to go back to the start of the whole campaign, or just try scenario 3 again?