• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys rock 2 core sets or just one? Really thinking about just one.
I also run with two, as I wanted the most flexibility. Couldn't see playing a Mystic without two Shrivelings right out of the gate, for example.

I think if you have all the other content released so far, a second core set isn't as necessary, and you can definitely make good decks and have an enjoyable time with just the one.

KiKaL

Oct 26, 2017
Do you guys rock 2 core sets or just one? Really thinking about just one.

I have 1 core set but am caught up on all the expansions/mythos packs. I have debated a lot on getting a second core but so far have not been able to justify it. Which is kind of weird because I have spent money on coin capsules and a playmat, a second core might have been the better choice since it does impact the game hah. I think the biggest reason is I would feel funny telling my wife I just bought the same game hah. She likes the game but would not understand that. I am sure I could sell it to her that it would allow for 3-4 players.

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if there was any interesting news out of Arkham Nights?
They didn't announce anything new. There was a full-art promo for Unexpected Courage, and then there were two new cards designed by some of the fans that will be playtested and come out eventually.

I guess the surprise of the event was the novellas with the new signature cards.

nomemorial

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, as a broke person, I really wish I didn't just find out about this. Always wanted to play Arkham Horror but I never have people to game with. Seeing that this has some solo playability makes it very intriguing to me.

Miedo

Oct 27, 2017
I recently bought two core sets, and everything released so far. I really have been enjoying this game. The funny scenarios that occur are always a pleasure. Pulling the mob weakness card, yet having tons of supply at that moment led to a rather funny situation of an instant shut up take my money get out of my house bye. I also really enjoy versus the original Arkham Horror/Eldritch Horror the set up and take down time are vastly better.

closer013

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for remaking this thread! I look toward to the day I have time to actually sit down and play it.

boxfactory

Oct 27, 2017
I showed the game off and I got a good reaction, but the game store he buys at can't order it.

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
What size did you go for? Im about to go for some 25mm ones for the snug fit but im wondering how snug it is.
25mm is so snug that you'll never get them out again without damaging them. 26mm gives you more flexibility (so you can get away with only buying 25, for example), and they won't slide around within the cases once sealed.

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
What size did you go for? Im about to go for some 25mm ones for the snug fit but im wondering how snug it is.

That is an snug as snug can be. It is fine to use a 25mm capsule but just be aware that you are very unlikely going to be able to remove the tokens once they are sealed in without damaging them so you need to buy enough to house all the tokens individually.

Jemile

Oct 27, 2017
25mm is so snug that you'll never get them out again without damaging them. 26mm gives you more flexibility (so you can get away with only buying 25, for example), and they won't slide around within the cases once sealed.

Im ok with them being in there for good, ive found 50 on ebay for £13 so I will go for it. Thanks for the replys everyone.

Also thank you XShagrath for setting up this thread again, loving this game and its great to have people to talk to about it and the one on Neogaf is now dead.

KiKaL

Oct 26, 2017
Gave in today and purchased a second core. I received a $25 Amazon gift card for a survey so figured I could justify paying $10 for it. I am looking forward to having more options and potentially having decks built for a scenario with my wife and also a deck for solo play.

edit - Received the second core last night...man it feels so wrong just taking out the handful of cards and leaving everything else in the box. I will probably also add the health, sanity, resource, and clue tokens but seems like such a waste hah.

Last edited:

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Got some time this weekend - wife is visiting her sister.

Thinking of finally sitting down for some AH solo - how many hours do you think I'd get out of the core box?

Also what high quality sleeves do people use here?

Jemile

Oct 27, 2017
Got some time this weekend - wife is visiting her sister.

Thinking of finally sitting down for some AH solo - how many hours do you think I'd get out of the core box?

I used the Fantasy Flight ones, got a 10 packs of 50 for £22, they have been great so far, feels better using the cards.

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
One play of the core set campaign is probably around 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Then, you can play through with different investigators and try for different resolutions. It's not uncommon to play through the core set half a dozen times or more.

Pretty much any premium sleeve is going to work fine for this game. As long as you stay away from the penny sleeves, you should be fine.

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
edit - Received the second core last night...man it feels so wrong just taking out the handful of cards and leaving everything else in the box. I will probably also add the health, sanity, resource, and clue tokens but seems like such a waste hah.

Yeah, that can be a bummer. One thing you can do is if you have 2 copies of the core set you can keep all 3 encounter sets for the 3 scenarios assembled at all times, cut down on startup time a bit. Although you need those cards if you go onto Dunwich or Carcosa campaigns so alternatively I just keep my 2nd core set set up for the Gathering scenario so in case I am showing the game off to new folk (and that is the scenario we generally play) I can get them into the game asap.

KiKaL

Oct 26, 2017
That's a good idea on keeping the Gathing scenario set up. I will probably do that too.

Deleted member 8068

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Me and my girlfirend always grim ruled this. When a card refers to clues in a location does it strictly mean that the clue must be on the location card or could be on an enemy in that location (specifically when its ability/others effect make a clue move from the location to the enemy itself)?

Noaloha

Oct 27, 2017
Me and my girlfirend always grim ruled this. When a card refers to clues in a location does it strictly mean that the clue must be on the location card or could be on an enemy in that location (specifically when its ability/others effect make a clue move from the location to the enemy itself)?
Cards abilities which refer to "clues at a location" only apply to clues which are on the location (the card) itself, not ones on enemies, assets or other investigators at that location. See Rules Ref: Clues, p7.

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
After sleeving all my cards im in need of box organisation, I want to use the box it came in so i've been considering some foam core to make some sides but also saw this:
https://gozu.zone/?product=rangement-horreur-a-arkham
but the cost of postage to the UK doubles the price! What are you guys using?
This is the ever-present dilemma of LCGs. You will always outgrow your storage solution as you buy more expansions. I don't think using the core box for storage is a good choice, as it's rather small, and you'll run out of space fairly quickly.

The two options that I see most often are briefcases with custom inserts, and plain card storage boxes. I personally use the latter. I can get each campaign into a single box, and they only cost a couple of dollars each. I keep my player cards in a binder, although those could be kept in a separate box as well. The briefcases obviously look a lot nicer, but at quite a bit larger expense ($50-200).

Jemile

Oct 27, 2017
This is the ever-present dilemma of LCGs. You will always outgrow your storage solution as you buy more expansions. I don't think using the core box for storage is a good choice, as it's rather small, and you'll run out of space fairly quickly.

The two options that I see most often are briefcases with custom inserts, and plain card storage boxes. I personally use the latter. I can get each campaign into a single box, and they only cost a couple of dollars each. I keep my player cards in a binder, although those could be kept in a separate box as well. The briefcases obviously look a lot nicer, but at quite a bit larger expense ($50-200).

Thanks for the reply, Plain boxes seem the best option, want to divide the cards up into sections so set up is quicker.

accx

Oct 28, 2017
Any neat places where you can buy token replacements in EU? Ebay works too. I'd love getting something thematic but i'm cheap so anything will do.
I got coin capsules from Ebay which has added to the overall quality, although i'd say about 50% of the coin capsules doesn't close properly (once opened they won't close again). Considering adding a tiny bit of glue..
I got 200 of them so i got all the chaos tokens anyways but if they too come undone after awhile i might just glue them shut.

EDIT:
Ah, there's a bunch on Ebay in acrylic that seems cheap enough. And Etsy, forgot about that place.
I've been "colour coding" the different packs with rubber bands for now, but it looks like it's causing some wear on the sleeves (card's fine though). Maybe deck boxes would be a nice addition.

Last edited:

KiKaL

Oct 26, 2017
Oh man, had the best ending last night. To avoid spoilers I won't say anything specific.

I was playing as Roland and needed to get one more clue to complete the agenda but had only one doom token left before I failed the act. I had 5 cards in my hand, 4hp lefts and only 1 sanity left. I drew my encounter card and had to discard 3 cards so I was down to 2 cards. I had a monster engaged with me but no weapon so I could not kill him. To use the clue I had to pass an intellect test of 4. One of my cards was Evidence so I committed it and drew a 0. Success, but now the monster had an attack of opportunity that would have made me go insane...thankfully my last card was Dodge.

Never had a game so close. I honestly don't know if I needed to dodge the final attack or if the game was already over.

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, had the best ending last night. To avoid spoilers I won't say anything specific.

I was playing as Roland and needed to get one more clue to complete the agenda but had only one doom token left before I failed the act. I had 5 cards in my hand, 4hp lefts and only 1 sanity left. I drew my encounter card and had to discard 3 cards so I was down to 2 cards. I had a monster engaged with me but no weapon so I could not kill him. To use the clue I had to pass an intellect test of 4. One of my cards was Evidence so I committed it and drew a 0. Success, but now the monster had an attack of opportunity that would have made me go insane...thankfully my last card was Dodge.

Never had a game so close. I honestly don't know if I needed to dodge the final attack or if the game was already over.
Yes, you would have to use your Dodge. The order of events say that the attack of opportunity damage triggers first, and then the action effect.

Noaloha

Oct 27, 2017
For the above, worth noting that you'd need to resolve the enemy attack before you even reached for the chaos bag.

For attacks of opportunity, you spend your action point(s) and other associated resources to initiate whatever is triggering the AoO, then the enemy does its thing and takes a swipe at you, and only then do you go through the steps of whatever you're trying to do. It wouldn't make a difference in your specific case, but it can be important.

Say, for example, that you only had one card in hand, Evidence, you have enough health/sanity to tank the attack of opportunity, and the enemy has "when this enemy hits you, discard a card from your hand." You wouldn't have been able to commit Evidence to the test in that situation.

accx

Oct 28, 2017
So where can i get information on how many cards are included in the different packs?
I know that FFG states how many sleeve packs you need but when i picked up another core set i never bothered to count how many cards it has and just went with buying as many sleeves as they recommended, leaving me with atleast one pack too much (i got dunwich aswell so the total, according to ffg, was 9 sleeve packs).
Also, since rougarou and carnevale are standalone, they shouldn't have to be played in succession during a campaign right? I can get carnevale but not rougarou.

EDIT:
Ok yea i should've googled better. So 60 cards per mythos pack.
Does the same hold true for standalone expansions?

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
No love for this thread lately, but some news to come out.

New novella announced with a NEW investigator. He'll show up in a later campaign, but he will have different signature cards than what's included with the novella.
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/12/7/ire-of-the-void/

Also, the next mythos pack (Phantom of Truth) is shipping now, with a street date of 12/21. Can't wait to hit Paris. This campaign has been really good so far!

Totakeke

Oct 25, 2017
I recently moved to the bay area so I lost my previous group, finding a new group is probably tough. Gonna try to see if there's any stores hosting the Invocation campaign and try my luck there.

New investigator is pretty cool, though it does feel not dissimilar to a card netrunner would print.

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is reading Lovecraft or the King in Yellow recommended before starting the campaigns? Could they potentially spoil the playthroughs, or are they mostly references that could even enhance the experience? Also, does his racism show in the writing itself?

Last edited:
OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
Is reading Lovecraft or the King in Yellow recommended before starting the campaigns? Could they potentially spoil the playthroughs, or are they mostly references that could even enhance the experience? Also, does his racism show in the writing itself?
I haven't read much Lovecraft, and haven't read King in Yellow, so I can't really say too much about that. These aren't pulled directly from the stories, so I'd imagine at most, there would just be little easter eggs if you were more familiar with the material.

As for the racism, I haven't noticed any at all in my 40+ plays. I would wager that FFG would not like to go down that road of Lovecraftian literature at all.

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017

You completely don't need to read King in Yellow. More then half the stories in that book don't reference the King at all and the ones that do offer only the slightest insight into the mythos behind that entity. Much of the yellow cult mythos that this game takes its inspiration from was developed by authors post Lovecraft. That said, if you can find the time to read it, you totally should. It's a lovely weird piece of supernatural oddness.

boxfactory

Oct 27, 2017
It's not necessary to read the short stories to play the game. You can make an argument for both spoiling and enhance, but it doesn't matter to a significant degree. Starting with either with the lcg or the stories, I think, are perfectly fine. There are racist passages in the stories, but like XShagrath there is no racism in any of the FFG products.

Lovecraft stories are short and public domain. I would recommend them for adults who like pulpy horror fiction while warning them about the racist lines in the stories.

I want to read King in Yellow. That's on my to do list.

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, thanks for the tips. I'll probably just go through the campaigns first and get into the source materials if I want more related lore afterwards.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
I FINALLY got my work pals to start playing with me again. We've tried and failed at the first campaign a lot, but stopped trying when we moved offices, for various reasons. Recently bought all the current expansions, too, so we got more toys to play with.

We did okay in the first session! The second is where we usually fuck up. So many cultists! Grrr.

Bonus: It's been long enough that we don't remember all the tricks, haha. Not that they... helped much. But it's nice to be sorta surprised again. Looking forward to everything past the base game.

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, anyway, I ended up ordering The King in Yellow and Great Tales of Horror (Lovecraft anthology). The allure of the book cover was just too strong
9781435140370_p0_v2_s600x595.jpg

I also ordered this chaos/dice bag.

Last edited:

Grady Durden

Oct 27, 2017
After playing The Unspoken Oath and loving it, I paused my solo run after the first act through A Phantom of Truth.

Maybe it's the Paris theme, maybe it's my terribly low intellect for investigations (William Yorkick), maybe just bad night for it. Who knows. I'll see tomorrow.

Anyone else completed it yet?

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
After playing The Unspoken Oath and loving it, I paused my solo run after the first act through A Phantom of Truth.

Maybe it's the Paris theme, maybe it's my terribly low intellect for investigations (William Yorkick), maybe just bad night for it. Who knows. I'll see tomorrow.

Anyone else completed it yet?

We completed it yesterday as a duo of Yorick and Sefina on easy. We did a pretty major screw-up where we finished Act I one way, but used the wrong Act II. We ended up finishing it up with that objective anyways, since we didn't notice we screwed up until very near the end of the game.

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
I really need to catch up with this. Been real busy this December with building work at my house and various other stuff with my mates meaning I have two groups both sitting at the end of the 2nd scenario despite the fact I have Echos and Oath just sitting in my collection (and Truth on the way). On a positive note it at least gives us a wider pool to deckbuild with when we finally decide to return to Arkham.

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
I just got invited to a local Facebook group that's about 10 strong. They get together once a week or so at a local gaming pub to play. It's a little out of the way, but it's probably worth it to go from time to time in order to experience higher player counts and just see how other people play, so that I can improve myself.

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had a 4p session of the core set campaign a few weeks but we only had time to finish scenario 2 (2 core sets on easy). Scenario 3 will have to happen in February only :(

Meanwhile I've obtained the entire Dunwich cycle, and own Carcosa+mythos1/2, as well as Rougarou and Carnevale. I really like how many new player cards I get and should make future deck building a lot more flexible.