• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whatever you like! Replay it if you want to see if you can do better (or try another investigator), or go to Dunwich! The extra player cards are nice, but not necessary for the core set campaign.

Also, for that last scenario you played, read agenda 3 very carefully The scenario can be much harder if you play it wrong.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
I ended up creating a sheet of every investigator and put them all into a 3-ring binder to make it quick and easy to see the available investigators and what their unique cards are. I lifted most of the images from ArkhamDB although some of them have a watermark which doesn't look great but it doesn't look terrible enough for me to want to go through the hassle of scanning all the cards myself. They don't have all the book exclusive cards up though so cards like Green Man Medallion for Jenny I ended up having to scan on my own.

EmIvcmI.png

Anyone know where I can order a copy of To Fight the Black Wind? Or just the Carolyn Fern cards? She's my favorite investigator from the board game and I'd love to try her out in this format.

The Fantasy Flight website says that all the books are waiting to be reprinted so it will be back eventually, it is just a question of when.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
I am currently continuing my way through Dunwich and just barely made it past Blood on the Altar. My brother is playing William Yorick while I am playing Carolyn Fern.

I was just about ready to run away when Silas Bishop appeared since I was close to death. We decided to try to fight him and ended up just barely surviving. We both drew weakness cards on the turn before we were going to get killed (and Psychopomp's Song during the Mythos Phase just to ensure that we were throughly screwed). I ended up engaging his Graveyard Ghouls and trusted his Fire Axe would be able to kill the beast (which had exactly six health left). Those were the most tense chaos bag draws we have ever done. Luckily, it ended up working out. We really needed that win after getting almost immediately sucked into the void on Essex (we only made it to the second car).

bQnaM2S.png

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
My second core came in, gonna sleeve the player cards and take another shot at zealot tomorrow.

Two core owners, do you combine the two core basic weaknesses into the big pile of basic weaknesses? Or do you keep them separate?

Cindres

Oct 28, 2017
Started a new Dunwich campaign last night, first outing playing Ashcan. Absolutely coasted that, I do play on easy tbf but I got through that only having to evade one enemy who I was able to throw off into the next room and ignore until they all get wiped out, and explored all 3 back rooms - got verrry lucky with the order I decided to investigate them. Set up very very nicely for Extracurricular.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Played through Undimensioned and Unseen. We had it. We were winning. We were going to kill an enemy right before the agenda advanced. Then three tentacles in a row. There is only one in the bag! How does that even happen? I drew two on what should have been the killing blow, while my brother drew one on the mythos phase testing on rotting remains. I ended up getting a physical trauma, my brother a mental trauma.

Cindres

Oct 28, 2017
Bloody hell that's rough, Darth, doesn't get much unluckier than that.

I picked up Essex Country express this afternoon as my local game shop had it in stock. Really looking forward to that one, sounds intriguing. Had a pretty good Extracurricular run so probably will end up doing Miskatonic tonight and ECE if I get the time.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Had to get an add-on item on amazon since walmart and target were both out of the wipes I wanted, so I got the first two mythos packs for Dunwich.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Replayed night of the zealot campaign this time using rex and zoey as a two hand solo. Game feels a lot better with two investigators. My actual campaign went extremely well
I once again steam rolled the priest and burned down the house, on the last possible turn before midnight I killed the final cultist on the last possible action, then I was able to stop the ritual on the last possible turn before the demon spawned

Bravo to people who play this on expert, game is hard enough on easy lol.

Is there any reason to save my night of the zealot status? Does return or any of the other campaigns/stand alone scenarios reference back to it in any way? Will probably take these characters into the carnivale stand alone before starting a new campaign in dunwich.

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any reason to save my night of the zealot status? Does return or any of the other campaigns/stand alone scenarios reference back to it in any way? Will probably take these characters into the carnivale stand alone before starting a new campaign in dunwich.
The rules state that once a campaign is finished, those investigators are finished and you start a new deck/investigator on the next one. Technically, you shouldn't even do Carnevale after Devourer Below, as it's meant to be done in between scenarios (with paying XP to go there), or stand-alone with the stand-alone rules (separate chaos bag configuration, and deck that can contain up to 49 XP, with one additional weakness for every 10 XP you add).

If you do want to carry them over because you like the characters or your decks, you've got two options. You can bring them over as-is with Lita and all your upgraded cards, but also all the bad shit you've racked up as well. That might mean someone like Roland heading off to Dunwich with only 2-3 starting sanity, which doesn't sound like a fun time. Your other option would be to just build new decks for those investigators with level 0 cards, and start in. We choose the latter, as there are enough different investigators out there, and we want to experience different aspects and playstyles of the game.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
The rules state that once a campaign is finished, those investigators are finished and you start a new deck/investigator on the next one. Technically, you shouldn't even do Carnevale after Devourer Below, as it's meant to be done in between scenarios (with paying XP to go there), or stand-alone with the stand-alone rules (separate chaos bag configuration, and deck that can contain up to 49 XP, with one additional weakness for every 10 XP you add).

If you do want to carry them over because you like the characters or your decks, you've got two options. You can bring them over as-is with Lita and all your upgraded cards, but also all the bad shit you've racked up as well. That might mean someone like Roland heading off to Dunwich with only 2-3 starting sanity, which doesn't sound like a fun time. Your other option would be to just build new decks for those investigators with level 0 cards, and start in. We choose the latter, as there are enough different investigators out there, and we want to experience different aspects and playstyles of the game.

Gotcha, so writing down what happened is more for you to reflect back on personally and share how you did, not for some future call back.

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
Gotcha, so writing down what happened is more for you to reflect back on personally and share how you did, not for some future call back.
Correct. Some people probably save their campaign logs just for the memory of running through. I toss them because it's just more clutter, and I also just remember key moments of campaigns that were exciting/unique like the time I was knocked unconscious in the first scenario of Dunwich from my friend shooting and missing an enemy engaged with me twice in a row. Had to run through the rest of the campaign with a physical trauma due to Zoe's poor firearm skills.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Correct. Some people probably save their campaign logs just for the memory of running through. I toss them because it's just more clutter, and I also just remember key moments of campaigns that were exciting/unique like the time I was knocked unconscious in the first scenario of Dunwich from my friend shooting and missing an enemy engaged with me twice in a row. Had to run through the rest of the campaign with a physical trauma due to Zoe's poor firearm skills.

That makes sense, thanks for clarifying. I'll probably just do carnivale stand alone later today and start dunwich Monday since I currently only have half the cycle and I don't want to binge this weekend and be out.

Cindres

Oct 28, 2017
FWIW I also use the campaign log app on android to keep track of my campaigns, rather than writing stuff down. But I can see the appeal of good old pen/paper.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I use the notes app on my ipad as well, keep track of exp, what conditions the world is in, and if anyone has trauma.

Also fuck whippoorwills

That is all

Antiquegamer

Oct 27, 2017
I use the notes app on my ipad as well, keep track of exp, what conditions the world is in, and if anyone has trauma.

Also fuck whippoorwills

That is all

I used Arkham Horror Campaign Guide on Android. The problem is I have to wait until the guy update the app when new scenario comes out. It is very nice though as I can forgo all the rule sheet and all the selections and choices along with VP earned and spend are track automatically.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Finally bit the bullet and bought the core pack to try it out with my girlfriend.

I know the core pack is sufficient for 2 players but if I start buying expansions and mythos packs do one of each will suffice to support 2 players while not being too limited regarding the deckbuilding part of the game ?

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing you should consider getting two of is the core set (because you only get 1 of each player card). Everything else you only need 1 (they already give you 2 of each player cards).

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
If you're in the US, I'll sell you the player cards from a core set for $10 + shipping. I've got a bunch of extras that I really have no use for.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
The only thing you should consider getting two of is the core set (because you only get 1 of each player card). Everything else you only need 1 (they already give you 2 of each player cards).
Haha not going down that hole just yet. I'm going to play the core set as it is and see if I want more afterwards.

I'd rather buy expansions than double dipping on a core that's mostly going to be deadweight.

I know expansions have two of each player cards but my question was in the context of buying a single copy of those to support deckbuilding for two players. I imagine it's fine as long as you're going for two complementary decks.

If you're in the US, I'll sell you the player cards from a core set for $10 + shipping. I've got a bunch of extras that I really have no use for.
Thanks, but I'm in Europe.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haha not going down that hole just yet. I'm going to play the core set as it is and see if I want more afterwards.

I'd rather buy expansions than double dipping on a core that's mostly going to be deadweight.

I know expansions have two of each player cards but my question was in the context of buying a single copy of those to support deckbuilding for two players. I imagine it's fine as long as you're going for two complementary decks.
I totally get being against the idea of having to get a 2nd core (I was too until I had to for a 4p game - now I'm glad I have it for the extra deckbuilding options, even though it's not "essential"). In that case, just get one of everything only. Getting a 2nd expansion or mythos pack gives you even more deadweight than a 2nd core.

For what it's worth, we were fine playing 4p with just 2 core sets and 1 copy of expansion/mythos packs. We just used 4 different 'classes' with very little overlap (the non-core investigators), and didn't feel restricted in our deck construction

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
That's good to know, one of each pack will be fine for us two then. At worse, I'll resort to proxies if I really want extra copies of certain cards seeing how FFG won't put out a pack catering to the core pack issue.

Antiquegamer

Oct 27, 2017
I will take them, I already have 2 cores but this way I can have multiple investigator decks pre constructed. How did you end up with so many core set ? I actually contemplating 3rd core set with Game stop sale.

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
I will take them, I already have 2 cores but this way I can have multiple investigator decks pre constructed. How did you end up with so many core set ? I actually contemplating 3rd core set with Game stop sale.
I bought six from the GameStop sale, which put me at 10 cores, which is enough to have every scenario pre-constructed without using proxies (at least for those cards). Just need two more of each deluxe, and won't need to proxy anything at all. I'll be waiting for a sale on those though.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I bought six from the GameStop sale, which put me at 10 cores, which is enough to have every scenario pre-constructed without using proxies (at least for those cards). Just need two more of each deluxe, and won't need to proxy anything at all. I'll be waiting for a sale on those though.

Damn I'm not worthy lol and I was excited to get my last 3 mythos packs tomorrow to complete the dunwich cycle.

Mr X

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia / US
Thoroughly hooked now. Me and the G/F have now spent the past month or so on the weekends playing through the base game and we just finished the Dunwich campaign yesterday. We're going to start a new playthrough going into the whole campaign again...she's going Zoey, I kinda wanted to do Jenny, but would make us weak on clue getting which could be a big problem (I know I'm gonna miss Agnes QQ).

Might just grab the Path to Corcosa even if we won't dive into the campaign for the time to just check out one of the new investigators.

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thoroughly hooked now. Me and the G/F have now spent the past month or so on the weekends playing through the base game and we just finished the Dunwich campaign yesterday. We're going to start a new playthrough going into the whole campaign again...she's going Zoey, I kinda wanted to do Jenny, but would make us weak on clue getting which could be a big problem (I know I'm gonna miss Agnes QQ).
Jenny can be strong for investigating if you spec her for it. Streetwise as a permanent asset can be pretty powerful for her especially since she can be rolling in $$$$$

Mr X

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia / US
Jenny can be strong for investigating if you spec her for it. Streetwise as a permanent asset can be pretty powerful for her especially since she can be rolling in $$$$$

Thanks for the tip, think I will stick with her, some of those eventual rogue cards (like the gold pocket watch and ace in the hole - 14 xp to get though, ouch) look good and fun to use to set up some nice plays.

Last edited:

Mr X

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia / US
Had a question...was watching Mythos Busters play the midnight masks scenario, at this point they are 6 doom on the board, but they don't advance the agenda...is that right that the agenda would only progress until the next mythos phase then (even though that technically puts them at 7 mythos at a minimum - assuming they don't get even more doom from tokens/encounter card draws)? I was under the impression as soon as you hit the required number of doom you advance the agenda no matter what...could explain a few really tough times we had during the dunwich campaign if that is that case...ugh.

Here he seems to throw his asset away (agnes necklace)? I though that stays on? Or did he use it as a event in this case?

Last edited:
OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
Had a question...was watching Mythos Busters play the midnight masks scenario, at this point they are 6 doom on the board, but they don't advance the agenda...is that right that the agenda would only progress until the next mythos phase then (even though that technically puts them at 7 mythos at a minimum - assuming they don't get even more doom from tokens/encounter card draws)? I was under the impression as soon as you hit the required number of doom you advance the agenda no matter what...could explain a few really tough times we had during the dunwich campaign if that is that case...ugh.

There is a key point in the mythos phase where that doom check is done. Therefore, if you know that the agenda is getting ready to advance, you may plan your turn accordingly (maybe not killing a cultist that has doom, or using a card that adds doom). This is also why some cards like Ancient Evils specifically say that they can advance the agenda.

Mythos Phase

1.1 Round begins.
1.2 Place 1 doom on the current agenda.
1.3 Check doom threshold.
1.4 Each investigator draws 1 encounter card.
PLAYER WINDOW
1.5 Mythos phase ends.

Since you normally only check in 1.3, it doesn't matter if it overflows. This is definitely something you want to keep in mind with scenarios that add additional doom via enemies and/or other effects. Also, remember that all doom is removed when the agenda advances, including that on any enemies or other cards in play.

Mr X

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia / US
There is a key point in the mythos phase where that doom check is done. Therefore, if you know that the agenda is getting ready to advance, you may plan your turn accordingly (maybe not killing a cultist that has doom, or using a card that adds doom). This is also why some cards like Ancient Evils specifically say that they can advance the agenda.

Mythos Phase

1.1 Round begins.
PLAYER WINDOW
1.5 Mythos phase ends.

Since you normally only check in 1.3, it doesn't matter if it overflows. This is definitely something you want to keep in mind with scenarios that add additional doom via enemies and/or other effects. Also, remember that all doom is removed when the agenda advances, including that on any enemies or other cards in play.
That makes sense...we had a hell of time with
Essex country express
scenario, (and one other I can't remember) because of this mistake...would have been much more manageable had we been playing it correctly I think. For a time we weren't removing all the doom on the board either, just the ones on the agenda...about halfway through the campaign we did come across the info that ALL doom gets removed when the agenda advances thankfully.

Cindres

Oct 28, 2017

Mythos Phase

1.1 Round begins.
PLAYER WINDOW
1.5 Mythos phase ends.

Oh bloody hell the bolded never occured to me, I haven't been removing doom from enemies.

Mr X

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia / US
The mythos busters card analysis podcasts are great, those guys give a nice breakdown for each of the cards and thought process behind it, really great resource. They've convinced me to give Rex a try as his special having the potential to save so many moves convinced me, always felt like I was searching for more moves. And
02263.jpg
is really nice, especially in a pinch (and hopefully pull it haha). His weakness is the only thing that worries me...no way to truly get rid of it is unfortunate.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Yeah Rex can break certain scenarios with the right set up. Just did blood on the altar and with some well played skill cards and higher learning rex was able to get 9 clues in one turn.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
That sounds...amazing. Can't wait to try him out this weekend. G/F is trying out Zoey so I imagine we'll be set up nicely.

Zoey and Rex is my go to solo play team when using two characters. The only area the team struggles is the rare enemy you want to evade, neither character is likely to have great options for dealing with those threats. Zoey is a murder machine that keeps the ghouls off Rex that helps you stay well ahead of the agenda deck.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Rex can be pretty damn busted and pairs well with everyone. Last month we ran through Night of the Zealot with Rex, Mark and Jenny. We ended up getting the "good" ending in every scenario. We cut it close but it never felt like we were throughly fucked. Here are those decks if y'all are interested in seeing them. We plan on taking them through Dunwich at some point.

https://arkhamdb.com/decklist/view/6706/mark-the-bodyguard-harrigan-3-players-1.0
https://arkhamdb.com/decklist/view/6707/rex-axe-hand-murphy-3-players-1.0
https://arkhamdb.com/decklist/view/6708/jenny-the-bank-barnes-3-players-1.0

Mr X

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia / US
Question for the veterans...if I play a card like
02107.jpg
and use
02187.jpg
to buff to intel, it does boost my "combat" for that attack since I am boosting intel correct?

Also, when I'm in a room with another investigator, can I commit an asset(s) to help them (assuming that asset has a matching pip to the skill test)? Or can I only throw skill cards to help?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Question for the veterans...if I play a card like
02107.jpg
and use
02187.jpg
to buff to intel, it does boost my "combat" for that attack since I am boosting intel correct?

Also, when I'm in a room with another investigator, can I commit an asset(s) to help them (assuming that asset has a matching pip to the skill test)? Or can I only throw skill cards to help?

Yep, higher education is basically why Rex is "broken". As long as he keeps his hand count and resources up the dude will basically always gather 2 clues. Combat is normally a skill test that uses the fist icon, I've got a plan makes it use the knowledge icon instead. If combat wasn't considered a skill test it would make cards like over power and vicious blow pretty pointless.

And yeah you can play any card from your hand for it's pip value to aid in a skill test just like you can on your turn. The only thing that might change is if you do play a skill card depending upon the timing of the skill your ally may get the effect instead of you.

Official FAQ states...

"Who gets the effects/benefits of a skill card committed to another investigator's skill test?

If I commit Overpower (Core 91) to another investigator's skill test, do I get to draw 1 card, or does the investigator performing the skill test get to draw 1 card?

Generally speaking, the player who committed the skill card gets the effects of any ability on that skill card. In your example, you would draw the 1 card, not the investigator performing the skill test. However, if a skill card changes or adds to the results of the skill test itself, the investigator performing the test receives the benefit of that ability. For example, if you committed Deduction (Core 39) to another investigator's skill test, that investigator would be discovering the additional clue, not you, because you are altering the effects of his or her skill test."

Last edited:
OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
As BassForever pointed out, you can commit cards to another investigator's test, as long as you're at the same location, and the pips match the test being taken. One thing to note is that you can only commit one card to someone else's test, whereas you can commit as many as you want to your own tests.

Mr X

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia / US
Thanks for the responses and clarification folks, makes sense. Good to know about the "only one asset" to assist an ally at your location too, did not even consider that.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Damn undimensioned and unseen is really difficult

i basically got over run by brood of yog sofhoth after the agenda advanced. My heroes were all in the one hit from a brood kills them and I had essentially a whipperpool where one was and the other 2 on the same space so I had to resign leaving 4 alive.

I do like that this is the inverse of a catch up mechanic, a fuck you get knocked down a peg mechanic

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
So i completed the dunwich legacy got the best ending to boot. Looking over everything I have one question for XShagrath who is kind of the AH:LCG expert. Where does
the choice to warn the villagers or calm the villagers come into effect? Is it just a flavor decision or is there somewhere in the campaign it can come back to help/haunt you?

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
So i completed the dunwich legacy got the best ending to boot. Looking over everything I have one question for XShagrath who is kind of the AH:LCG expert. Where does
the choice to warn the villagers or calm the villagers come into effect? Is it just a flavor decision or is there somewhere in the campaign it can come back to help/haunt you?
It's in the epilogue of Dunwich. Oddly enough, it doesn't instruct you to read the epilogue in the last resolution, so I guess it's a bit of an easter egg.

I don't know where the epilogue is located in the actual released material, as I have a compiled campaign guide that has everything in one booklet the size of the one found in the deluxe box. I'd imagine it's probably on the Lost in Time and Space sheet.

Mr X

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia / US
Really eager to check out the whole Dunwich campaign again and doing it with a much better understanding of the rules. We have only done it once so kind of hazy on how undimensioned and unseen plays out haha.

We went through the entire zealot campaign last night...
we ended up getting all the cultists also for the first time also.
It was a photo finish, the agenda was going to advance and gf had 2 more moves on Zoey and just needed to hit the last enemy once to finish him off (but she needed no worse than a -1...she pulled it off though). I convinced her to throw beat cop in her deck for the +1 combat going forward, she was using level zero leo de luca.

Going to start dunwich today at some point...going to try to
kill the experiment
this time. The previous time we just
saved the professor and left the students to their fate.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Really eager to check out the whole Dunwich campaign again and doing it with a much better understanding of the rules. We have only done it once so kind of hazy on how undimensioned and unseen plays out haha.

We went through the entire zealot campaign last night...
we ended up getting all the cultists also for the first time also.
It was a photo finish, the agenda was going to advance and gf had 2 more moves on Zoey and just needed to hit the last enemy once to finish him off (but she needed no worse than a -1...she pulled it off though). I convinced her to throw beat cop in her deck for the +1 combat going forward, she was using level zero leo de luca.

Going to start dunwich today at some point...going to try to
kill the experiment
this time. The previous time we just
saved the professor and left the students to their fate.

you should probably make that your second scenario then, since you'll get access to the concoction that makes killing the beast a lot easier. Only disasvantage is you can't get Naomi to have your back.