• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
Would I still have a good time playing this solo?

I've played solo a fair few times and really enjoyed it. Their is a little more faff with the setup since you are doing it all yourself but other then that I think it is very playable. Although I do prefer multiplayer purely cos I am a social butterfly I do think the game is at its most atmospheric when you are just one investigator in a haunted house.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I've played solo a fair few times and really enjoyed it. Their is a little more faff with the setup since you are doing it all yourself but other then that I think it is very playable. Although I do prefer multiplayer purely cos I am a social butterfly I do think the game is at its most atmospheric when you are just one investigator in a haunted house.

I too would prefer to play it in a group but it's gotten be hard convincing people since I'm a complete novice myself

The first Arkham horror game I played was the table top board game at a friend of a Friend's house and I was instantly hooked.

I've been eyeing the card game for a Long time because I saw the Shut up and Sit down review of it and how they like it much better than the board game.

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
Man I really want to get into this game but I can't convince any of my friends to join me. Doesn't help that I've never played a table top game like this before so even if they did join me there would probably be a lot of confusion.

Would I still have a good time playing this solo?
This game plays very well solo. Probably 50% of the player base is almost exclusively solo. The two main options for solo play are "two handed," where you would emulate a two-player game and play as two characters. This can be good when just getting into the game, as you probably won't have enough of a card pool to build a good "true solo" deck (where you would just be playing as one character).

I'd say jump in with one Core Set, and play two-handed, and see how you like it. It's not that much of an investment, and I think you'll probably enjoy it enough to keep going.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
This game plays very well solo. Probably 50% of the player base is almost exclusively solo. The two main options for solo play are "two handed," where you would emulate a two-player game and play as two characters. This can be good when just getting into the game, as you probably won't have enough of a card pool to build a good "true solo" deck (where you would just be playing as one character).

I'd say jump in with one Core Set, and play two-handed, and see how you like it. It's not that much of an investment, and I think you'll probably enjoy it enough to keep going.

Oh, two characters... I never thought about that.

Out of curiosity, any particular reason why this game have a lot of solo players?

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, two characters... I never thought about that.

Out of curiosity, any particular reason why this game have a lot of solo players?
I think a lot of people are in your situation, where they don't really have a playgroup that wants to play it. It's also has one of the best scaling systems I've ever seen.

Even the Mythos Busters (one of the two podcasts devoted to the game) play primarily solo, or with their wives/girlfriends.

Ace Harding

Oct 25, 2017
So far I've only played solo and it's been a lot of fun. I bought it for the ability to solo. If I can convince someone to play it with me that's a bonus.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
I played the first scenario solo to "test run" it before playing with my gf and it works just fine.

I do think it's more fun with another person though.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I have a question regarding deck building- I was under the impression that everything you need is given in the base game which comes with one deck for each class, so where do you get extra cards for customisation? The expansion pack?

Also cheers to feedback from solo players. I always thought you NEED to have a party to enjoy table top games, never occured to me that solo is completely viable

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
I have a question regarding deck building- I was under the impression that everything you need is given in the base game which comes with one deck for each class, so where do you get extra cards for customisation? The expansion pack?
The way the game is set up is through campaigns (called cycles), in which you buy a Deluxe Expansion (such as Dunwich Legacy, Path to Carcosa, etc.). That provides the first two scenarios of that campaign, and then there are six Mythos Packs that have one scenario each, for a total of eight in a campaign. Both the Deluxe and Mythos packs have additional player cards for all of the different classes, so this is how the player card pool gets expanded.

If you are just buying a single Core Set, there will be no deckbuilding abilities, as the number of player cards, and the deckbuilding rules for those investigators line up exactly.

Also, there are a couple of stand-alone scenarios that do not contain player cards. These are meant to either be played on their own, or added in as a "side story" during a campaign.

Ripley

Nov 8, 2017
I too would prefer to play it in a group but it's gotten be hard convincing people since I'm a complete novice myself

If you're near any boardgame shops, you could see if they're running an Invocation event or another organised event - that's how I started playing, and I ended up with a regular group with people I met there.

The game does play very well solo, though, so hopefully you'll have a good time either way.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My girlfriend doesn't like the card game (though she enjoys the Eldritch Horror board game), so I either have to play Solo or try to wrangle one of my busy friends to play. And they all want to play their games they've bought and haven't yet played. It's a conundrum

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
I had no idea there was a thread for this game -- I just started playing the core set recently with a friend and have finished the first 2 scenarios.

Question about trauma. After scenario 1 Wendy had to take 1 mental trauma from a story element. Does that trauma persist past scenario 2 and continue into the 3rd? Or does trauma immediately become normal damage once a new scenario starts and is then "healed" between scenarios?

Ripley

Nov 8, 2017
Question about trauma. After scenario 1 Wendy had to take 1 mental trauma from a story element. Does that trauma persist past scenario 2 and continue into the 3rd? Or does trauma immediately become normal damage once a new scenario starts and is then "healed" between scenarios?

It persists, sadly - you can end up very scarred by the end of a campaign!

Antiquegamer

Oct 27, 2017
I had no idea there was a thread for this game -- I just started playing the core set recently with a friend and have finished the first 2 scenarios.

Trauma is Permanent condition so it basically give you damage or insanity tokens at beginning of scenario in the campaign. In Forgotten Age there are interludes between that let you get rid of trauma but generally not the case and they are there for the duration of campaign. I had a campaign where I started a scenario at -4 sanity and -5 health.

Last edited:

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
Trauma is Permanent condition so it basically give you damage or insanity tokens at beginning of scenario in the campaign. In Forgotten Age there are interlude between that let you get rid of trauma but generally not they are there for duration of campaign. I have a campaign where I started a scenario at -4 sanity and -5 health.

Yikes! So now I understand that trauma persists between scenarios. One more related questions so I understand completely: if I have 9 health and start with 2 trauma, can I use healing during the scenario to get back to 9 or is 7 my new cap? It seems strange that I could potentially heal past my trauma during a scenario and finish full health/sanity only to have it reduced again for the following scenario.

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
Yikes! So now I understand that trauma persists between scenarios. One more related questions so I understand completely: if I have 9 health and start with 2 trauma, can I use healing during the scenario to get back to 9 or is 7 my new cap? It seems strange that I could potentially heal past my trauma during a scenario and finish full health/sanity only to have it reduced again for the following scenario.
Yes, horror/damage that you start with due to trauma can be healed temporarily during the scenario. I can't really think of a thematic reason for that at the moment, but I'm sure someone could come up with a logical reasoning as to why that would make sense.

Antiquegamer

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, as Xshagrath stated you can heal back to your maximum health. Trauma does not reduce your maximum health or sanity, it just simply make you start off with damage or insanity tokens. This is one thing that confuse new comers to Arkham LCG. Think of them as more like tramatic experience that sort of haunt you or lingering physical damage which start you off on a down side of things but as any good investigator you shake it off by popping some aspirin or smoke some pipe and temporary heal yourself back up to face the elder god. Then as you move to the next scenario the trauma flare up again.

Last edited:

Ace Harding

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to know which ally cards can be added to a deck from the beginning vs "earned" during a campaign? If I have an ally card (Earl Sawyer as a random example) that plays a role in the story is that not a viable starting card? If so, how do I know that just by looking at the card?

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to know which ally cards can be added to a deck from the beginning vs "earned" during a campaign? If I have an ally card (Earl Sawyer as a random example) that plays a role in the story is that not a viable starting card? If so, how do I know that just by looking at the card?
Cards that have encounter set icons (such as Earl Sawyer) can only be added via scenario events. Only class cards and neutral cards (usually all Level 0) can be added to a starting deck. If you're playing "stand-alone," you can add XP cards, but never any of the campaign-specific allies or other assets.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger

Earned allies will have a symbol in the top right corner indicating they are part of a campaign. Earl has the train track things. Armitage has that "V" with a circle thing in the top right corner.

AHC05_218.jpg
02040.jpg

Most allies belong to a specific class, so they will either be be red, blue, green, purple or yellow. These will have a class symbol in the top right corner.

03151.png
01033.png

If it is a grey ally, chances are it is a story ally that can only be added by fulfilling story requirements. The only neutral ally that is available to everyone at the moment is the Red-Gloved Man, and he can't be included at the start because he costs 5 experience. As you can see, there is no symbol in the top right corner.

02310.jpg

There are a few other neutral grey allies, but those are character specific and will say "______ deck only." Notice though that they also have no symbol in the top right corner, thus they are not campaign specific.

02014.png
04008.jpg

Ace Harding

Oct 25, 2017
Great, thanks. Was sleeving and organizing after opening some packs and didn't want to spoil anything googling around.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Cards that have encounter set icons (such as Earl Sawyer) can only be added via scenario events. Only class cards and neutral cards (usually all Level 0) can be added to a starting deck. If you're playing "stand-alone," you can add XP cards, but never any of the campaign-specific allies or other assets.

Aren't you supposed to read/pick through how the prior scenarios went for stand alone? I was under the impression you could add allies/story assets in stand alone under that method.

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
Aren't you supposed to read/pick through how the prior scenarios went for stand alone? I was under the impression you could add allies/story assets in stand alone under that method.
I stand corrected. I have never played stand-alone (and probably never will). When I glanced at the stand-alone setup, I saw some previous campaign decisions it wanted you to make, but I guess that's only if you didn't want to go back and pick things yourself.

Ace Harding

Oct 25, 2017
Finally sucked it up and bought a second core, so now I have 2x cores and the full Dunwich. Nice to feel like I can actually optimize. I really wish they gave you a way to buy the single player cards from the core without buying a full box. Seems like such a waste.

Cindres

Oct 28, 2017
Finally sucked it up and bought a second core, so now I have 2x cores and the full Dunwich. Nice to feel like I can actually optimize. I really wish they gave you a way to buy the single player cards from the core without buying a full box. Seems like such a waste.

Money aside I imagine you've got stuiff like needing extra life/sanity tokens to consider, I can;t remember what the unpunched sheets looked like now but at the very least I guess there'd have to be new, smaller, versions of them so they could do just a player card core extra set.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Got return to night of the zealot, this holiday weekend is gonna be a sleeving and reorganizing my cards between my shoe box and the rttnotz box.

Ace Harding

Oct 25, 2017
Got return to night of the zealot, this holiday weekend is gonna be a sleeving and reorganizing my cards between my shoe box and the rttnotz box.
I love sleeving and organizing cards. Last night I lit a fire, had a glass of wine, sleeved my second core, organized my box and built two decks while listening to podcasts. It was a perfect Sunday night.

I am trying my hand (or both of them) running a two-handed campaign for the first time with Zoey and Rex on Night of the Zealot. This is my first time playing with a second core and the consistency of being able to run 2x every card makes such a difference. I think this was also the first time I played a scenario without messing up a rule somewhere (at least not one I noticed). I absolutely destroyed The Gathering on standard, despite pulling -4 tokens on what felt like every skill test. Now I've got Lighting Gun for Z, Higher Education for Rex, and a few more upgrades. Looking forward to Mignight Masks!

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Posting this here for anyone interested in getting some professional quality full campaign logs (like the ones found in the deluxe expansions) rather than using all the folded ones that come in the mythos packs. I've already put in my order for Carcosa and Dunwich.

This is not run by me, but by a member of the Mythos Busters discord.

For all those interested:
I am coordinating a group purchase for a printing of the Path to Carcosa campaign guide (as I have done so in the past for Duniwch Legacy). Here is how I am organizing it: I've put up a page at https://squareup.com/store/1-player-podcast-store for anyone interested to send money towards the purchase. The store site will be open April 6 at 9 am central time. At that point, I will close the page and send over the final total to the printer. You can also order a copy of the Dunwich Legacy campaign guide or a half-width Night of the Zealot campaign guide, which I've put together. (You can see the pdf of the guide here: https://goo.gl/Rtdpdg). The half-width guide is intended to fit easily on the top of a BCW 500 box or similar size space (and it's my hope that it will fit into the Return to the Night of the Zealot box well). For each item, if I do not get 10 or more people to group in on the buy, I will refund any money paid for that particular guide and not order it. (Sorry. So feel free to share elsewhere if you want to make sure the items can be printed.) Prices are: Carcosa - $15.80; Dunwich - $13.50; Zealot - $10.50. Shipping is $3 by media mail. Disclaimer: Prices charged are my costs only, including local sales tax. I receive no profit from this group purchase coordination and am using it for personal use only (to allow me to acquire a printed copy of the campaign guide, which I would not be able to obtain without working together with others). In the event that the group purchase receives enough interest that the printing costs get lowered (practically, 100 orders), I intend to reduce the costs for participants. I am using an actual store site this time to help organize shipping addresses and items wanted.

https://squareup.com/store/1-player-podcast-store

Here's an example of what his previous print-run for Dunwich looked like.

20170718_164836.jpg

Heads up everyone, Julius Besser is organizing another group printing of the campaign guides.

https://squareup.com/store/1-player-podcast-store/

I ordered from the last batch he did and it is really great having them all together in one booklet rather than messing with the little foldouts. I'm going to go for the two "Return" half guides as well as Curse, Carcosa and the normal Forgotten Age guide this go around.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Heads up everyone, Julius Besser is organizing another group printing of the campaign guides.

https://squareup.com/store/1-player-podcast-store/

I ordered from the last batch he did and it is really great having them all together in one booklet rather than messing with the little foldouts. I'm going to go for the two "Return" half guides as well as Curse, Carcosa and the normal Forgotten Age guide this go around.

Ooh I kind of want these, at least for dunwich, carcossa, and forgotten age.

Ripley

Nov 8, 2017
Things are pretty quiet in the thread at the moment because we're between campaigns.

Return to the Dunwich Legacy, an upgrade pack and storage box for the Dunwich Legacy campaign, comes out this week; the next deluxe expansion (The Circle Undone) could optimistically be the end of the month or sometime in Feb.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Oh man, I need Return to the Dunwich Legacy. Not that I've finished the original campaign yet, keep having campaigns where people stick around for a while then drop out, both in Dunwich and Night of the Zealot. So annoying.

But FFG just keep eating more and more of my paycheck.

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
Cool to see this as the Community Spotlight!

For those just popping in, thanks for checking us out. This is easily the best analog game I've ever played, and it marries card games, board games, and even roleplaying games. Even though there are 30+ scenarios in the game, they all have their own unique hook, and all feel very different when playing.

If you have any questions about the game that haven't already been answered, just ask. We also hang out on the boardgame discord server, so if you're not over there, join us!

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
This game is a staple in my life buuuuuuut I also enjoy taking breaks from it while my collection grows. I still haven't played the entirety of the Forgotten Age for example

Typhest

Oct 26, 2017
I've played through everything released so far with the exception of the 2 "return to" boxes. I absolutely adore this game and I think it's FFGs best work. I cannot wait for The Circle Undone!

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
Great timing on this thread popping up. I just picked up the game over the holidays, I'm really digging it so far. It's a bit overwhelming, but I think I'm getting the hang of it. Never been so happy to have someone go insane, but I learned a lot on my first playthrough.

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
I'm caught up on everything, except for Night of the Usurper. I would like to play more often, and my New Year's Resolution is to do more solo gaming. My gaming group usually just wants to run through a campaign/scenario once, since we have so many other games to play, so playing solo is a great way to get more value out of it.

Antiquegamer

Oct 27, 2017
I played mostly solo because I didn't raise my children properly. I am planning to take it to local convention this weekend and may be get a few people to try it. While I love it solo, the game is really good in multiplayer setting. Labyrinth of Lunacy was awesome at PAX Unplugged last year with 24 people.

I am currently finishing Dunwich campaign that I started with my kids (and they abandoned) to get ready for Return to Dunwich.

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
Has anyone picked up/played the Guardians of the Abyss mini-campaign yet?
Friday, I'm playing it then. We finished the Forgotten Age campaign last week and my groups not quite done with the characters and (although technically not all of us made it) we are running them through the Abyss mini campaign as way of farewell before the Circle Undone.

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone not sleeve? I haven't sleeved anything yet. Have one core, and all expansions minus guardians of the abyss.

Looking forward to Circle Undone.

I actually like all the Arkham Files games a lot. I think the LCG might be my favourite, but it's close with Arkham Horror 3rd edition.

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone not sleeve? I haven't sleeved anything yet. Have one core, and all expansions minus guardians of the abyss.
I'm a sleever, mainly because I find shuffling sleeved cards easier. I can understand why you wouldn't sleeve though. It is a huge added cost over the course of time, and the art on the card backs is beautiful.

Looking forward to Circle Undone.
I'm also looking forward to going back to Arkham, and leaving that accursed jungle far behind!

I actually like all the Arkham Files games a lot. I think the LCG might be my favourite, but it's close with Arkham Horror 3rd edition.
I'm a big fan of all the games in the line as well, with the exception of Arkham Horror 2E. The 3rd Edition is a little weird to me, and I don't know where it fits in. It seems to have some of the streamlined systems of Eldritch, while wanting to have the narrative of the LCG. In most situations, my group will probably just prefer playing the LCG, and I would tend to agree with them. I'm sure we'll play the board game occasionally (and I'll also play it solo) though.

Oct 30, 2017
I'm a sleever, mainly because I find shuffling sleeved cards easier. I can understand why you wouldn't sleeve though. It is a huge added cost over the course of time, and the art on the card backs is beautiful.

I'm also looking forward to going back to Arkham, and leaving that accursed jungle far behind!

I'm a big fan of all the games in the line as well, with the exception of Arkham Horror 2E. The 3rd Edition is a little weird to me, and I don't know where it fits in. It seems to have some of the streamlined systems of Eldritch, while wanting to have the narrative of the LCG. In most situations, my group will probably just prefer playing the LCG, and I would tend to agree with them. I'm sure we'll play the board game occasionally (and I'll also play it solo) though.
I think that's a fair assessment of 3rd at this point in its life. It's sort of a middle ground between Eldritch and LCG. I think it'll improve dramatically with expansions, but I do enjoy it a lot so far.

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
So glad this game is in the spotlight. One of my favorite card games ever made. Brilliant mixing of ongoing storytelling and innovative card scenarios.

Now I'm just waiting for Fantasy Flight to make a cooperative LCG using their Star Wars license in the vein of Arkham Horror. Give it to me, FFG!

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
So glad this game is in the spotlight. One of my favorite card games ever made. Brilliant mixing of ongoing storytelling and innovative card scenarios.

Now I'm just waiting for Fantasy Flight to make a cooperative LCG using their Star Wars license in the vein of Arkham Horror. Give it to me, FFG!

Don't say that too loud or it'll actually happen -.- I can't afford two lcgs