• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Chip designer ARM has suspended business with Huawei, threatening the Chinese company's ability to create its own chips. BBC News reports that ARM employees have been instructed to halt "all active contracts, support entitlements, and any pending engagements" with Huawei due to the US trade ban. The US has banned any US companies from doing business with the Chinese telecom giant without permission from the American government, but ARM is based in the UK and owned by the Japanese SoftBank group.

ARM is concerned it is affected by the US ban, with an internal memo revealing that its chip designs include "US origin technology." Huawei relies on ARM for chip architecture designs for its own Kirin processors, and it pays to license these. Without the licenses, Huawei will not be able to continue manufacturing its own processors using ARM designs and its HiSilicon fabless semiconductor company.

Even without access to these key components Huawei faces a challenge, but without ARM's architecture designs or instruction sets it faces a nearly impossible task of manufacturing a smartphone without US technology inside.
https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/22/18635326/huawei-arm-chip-designs-business-suspension

Last edited:

Lima

Oct 26, 2017
It was already an uphill battle with making their own AppStore and getting support for it but without chips this is looking very bad for their smartphone business.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Isn't it just permission, they could still make the chips if they wanted to.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Someone put it best when they said that eventually, American companies that set up shop in China will be the ones that struggle. Trump looking simply at an import stance is missing the entire picture.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
This is fucked up and unjustifiable.

China is not going to like this and the whole tech sector is gonna get fucked.

Thanks Trump I guess.

ethranes

A King's Landing
Oct 27, 2017
All we can hope for is that the Chinese government are more intelligent than the American

Oct 27, 2017
This is just going to continue to escalate isn't it? I always thought the interconnectedness of technology and world economies would save us from this sort of thing, but I guess I didn't count on a demagogue being voted President of the USA.

Vinnie20

Banned
Dec 23, 2018
I doubt it will stick. If US is willing to wholesale ban huawei to go with European vendor only, China is willing to whole sale ban Boeing to go with Airbus only. You are basically looking at the break down of globalization of capitalism.

Jadax

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Someone put it best when they said that eventually, American companies that set up shop in China will be the ones that struggle. Trump looking simply at an import stance is missing the entire picture.
Foreign companies in China already struggle a lot because of how pro-local the regulations are. Of course we're going to see many companies that rely on Chinese labour now complaining, but Trump is just going to say move your business elsewhere.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Trump is truly doing his best to destroy the world economy, beyond US borders. This is downright fascist. The US cannot decide how companies do business.

Neil Howarth

Banned
Mar 20, 2019
I'm sure this won't lead to any kind of retaliation from China. US single-handedly dictating which companies may or may not do bussiness

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
This is a little too much now. I can't imagine this move ending well. But we shall see

Last edited:

Lima

Oct 26, 2017
Is there anything stopping Huawei/China from investing in their own chips?

I mean they have enough money and backing from the Chinese government to do it but the time it takes is key. Designing a chip, setting up factories / finding partners that produce said chips for you. This could take years all while losing the huge market share they gained. Kind of questionable if one could pull off a comeback under these circumstances.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
This is fucked up and unjustifiable.

China is not going to like this and the whole tech sector is gonna get fucked.

Thanks Trump I guess.
There are a lot of US companies that set up shop in China. The figures that they make over there are more than what they import back home, and that is something that is accounted for outside imports.

It reminds me of when they were stupid enough to use the nuclear option of getting Iran off Swift and countries then started trading in oil outside the Dollar, or through gold backed securities. Insane that a president could be so short sighted.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017

Like 99% of the smartphone business operates with ARM SoCs, if not the 100%. ARM has a de-facto monopoly. If you want to build an smartphone, you have to pay the license even if later you customise the design to meet your own needs.

They can design their own SoCs based on their own technology, but it's not realistic. It takes a fuckton on R&D money and years in time. It's the same reason only AMD and Intel survive in Desktop PCs.

China has the fabrics and manufacturing capabilities, yes, but all the designs and R&D are Western.

Oct 31, 2017
Well, designing chips from the ground up is very, very difficult. That's why almost everyone licenses ARM's technology.
They make a base that if you want you can modify.
It's going to be the time factor more than anything else, having to start from scratch would set them back years, and the first chips produced through such an independent effort would almost certainly not match the perfomance/power efficiency of the chips competitors are using putting them at a big disadvantage in the marketplace.
Getting past this hurdle would require a mammoth state subsidy as their existing smartphone business would almost certianly die during the above and they'd need to rebuild again from the ground up from a new base.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
PRC is actively doing this type of stuff with things they don't want to export. Once you try to sell it elsewhere it gets harder.

Huawei by itself would not be enough to back something new when ARMs are in everything. They could hypothetically stand a chance if they used some other well known thing, like the recent open source processors, but it would still be a giant gamble.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There are also emerging reports of Asia countries dropping Huawei phones. By that I mean 2nd hand mobile shops rejecting trade in, and wireless operator stop taking in pre-orders for Huwei new phones.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Foreign companies in China already struggle a lot because of how pro-local the regulations are. Of course we're going to see many companies that rely on Chinese labour now complaining, but Trump is just going to say move your business elsewhere.
US companies are in China because of cheap labor and an insane population whose spending is on the way up. If there is a retaliation, those companies will lose the most. There is also the question of whether or not you move your base of operations to somewhere else........one lady who does sea food said that she was thinking of moving base from Boston to Canada but cannot do so because such a move is gambling that the trade war is long term. What if it is not? Then you have spent a huge amount on a different supply chain when staying put and riding the storm would have been better.

All these trade wars benefit no one.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Oof, I wonder how China will retaliate with this killing of Huawei's market share in the smartphone market.

Will this ban reach out to their other products soon from Intel and AMD?

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Like 99% of the smartphone business operates with ARM SoCs, if not the 100%. ARM has a de-facto monopoly. If you want to build an smartphone, you have to pay the license even if later you customise the design to meet your own needs.

They can design their own SoCs based on their own technology, but it's not realistic. It takes a fuckton on R&D money and years in time. It's the same reason only AMD and Intel survive in Desktop PCs.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to be beholden to ARM in the long run, especially if one of your telecoms can take a blow like this. Huawei spends about the same on R&D as Intel from what I gathered, it doesn't seem like an impossible gap to bridge, just one that would require state backing because the business case isn't there.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Man, if Huawei's phone business wasn't fucked before it definitely is now.

Inb4 Huawei announces an Arduino phone.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
It was already an uphill battle with making their own AppStore and getting support for it but without chips this is looking very bad for their smartphone business.
It's looking bad for all non-American smartphone businesses. If America can just arbitrarily destroy your entire business for no reason like this, that's terrifying.

Deleted member 22407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Its OK, in 3 months Huawei announce their own chip named LEG which will have pretty much the same performance as the previously used ARM chips!

Sort of /s

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
I dont have much empathy for Huawei. But still its a gigantic company with china backing. This is war declaration, when china begin to fight back, Im afraid it could destabilize the whole world.

rafiki

Alt account
Banned
May 18, 2019
ouch Huwaii is getting fucked on all sides. I wonder how China will retaliate.