• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
armelloyisg8.jpg

armello__bandits_by_cf6sdn.jpg

*game is on mobile as well

Description
Armello is a swashbuckling adventure that combines RPG elements with the strategic play of card and board games, creating a personal, story-fuelled experience.
You, play as a 'Hero' from one of the four animal clans: Rat, Rabbit, Bear or Wolf. Players navigate their fully animated 3D character across the board (procedurally generated from 3D hex tiles) as they quest, scheme, explore,Vanquish monsters, perform the Mad King's royal edicts, and face off against other players, with one ultimate end goal in mind - storming the palace and becoming King or Queen of Armello.

Armello is League of Geeks' attempt to revolutionise digital board and card games, whilst providing players a rich world within which they can craft their very own stories of epic adventure.

History
In mid 2011 shortly after League of Geeks' (LoG's) founding, the collective's directors decided to embark on creating a digital card and board game that would ensnare groups of friends in the same types of wondrous adventures that we all grew up reading, watching, and playing! One that truly leverages the opportunities offered to traditional tabletop design and storytelling by the digital platform. Over eight months of paper prototyping and 15+ versions later, Armello was ready to begin proper production.
Since then, LoG has been developing the game on iPad, Armello's intial release platform, and slowly expanding their unique development collective; attracting incredible talent from multiple continents and bringing the game towards alpha over the last eighteen months.

Even though currently at Beta and League of Geeks' debut title, Armello has already garnered international acclaim from press, public and developers alike, with a solid international following. Armello was formally announced in September of 2012 with great success and coverage by major gaming sites including Polygon, IGN, Gamespot, indiegames.com, BoardGameGeek and many more. Kotaku's Luke Plunkett proclaiming upon announce; "Armello is at the top of my iPad gaming radar!" After showing Armello to press for the first time at GDC 2013, critical acclaim was unanimous with Game Informer writing a glowing preview headlined "The Dice are Rolling in Armello's Favor". Armello was displayed at the inaugural PAX Aus in July, 2013, PC & Tech Authority proclaimed "Simply put - [Armello] is amazing." Armello was also invited to exhibit at the Indie MEGABOOTH at PAX Prime in 2013.

Features
  • Easy to Play but Hard to Master - Armello is an intuitive game, easy to pick up and experience but with deep and emergent strategy. Full release will include a tutorial mode.
  • Fast and Thoughtful - Adventuring in Armello is fast-paced fun but filled with deadly tactical and politically complex decisions requiring careful forethought and planning.
  • Multiple Playable Heroes - Full release will include 8 playable Heroes. Each unique Hero possess a special power, stat line and Ai personality. Also heroes can be customised with Amulet and Signet Ring load-outs to match your play style or counter an opponents strategy.
  • Dynamic Sandbox - Armello features a gorgeous dynamic world which procedurally generates a new map each and every game, complete with a dynamic quest system ensuring no two games of Armello are ever the same.
  • Turn-Based Day and Night Cycle - Armello features a fuzzy turn-based system, cycling between Day and Night phases. The fuzzy turns allow you to still play cards and do certain actions when its not your turn, and when it is you use Action Points to move around the hex board.
  • World Class Music and Audio - By Michael Allen, internationally acclaimed artist Lisa Gerrard, Stephan Schutze and Jacek Tuschewski.
  • Animated Cards - Armello will feature over a 120+ beautifully animated in-game Cards, from artists all over the world.
  • True Tabletop Feel - We spent months making sure we cherry-picked the best parts of the tabletop experience, like our custom physics-based dice!
PC requirements:

Minimum:
  • Processor: Dual-core 2.0 GHz.
  • Memory: 2 GB RAM.
  • Graphics: DirectX 10 class GPU with 512MB VRAM.
  • DirectX: Version 9.0c.
  • Storage: 4 GB available space.

9f12b53c05923e5a4de7c5msq7.jpg

Eight heroes are available to those who purchase the base game:

Four additional heroes are available with the purchase of the Usurpers expansion:

There are also four other heroes that are available with the purchase of the Bandit Clan expansion:

As of 20/12/17 four new heroes are available with the purchase of the Rivals expansion.

maxresdefaultosuaw.jpg

Selected Articles
  • "Right up there on my iPad gaming radar"
    - Luke Plunkett, Kotaku
  • "If [League of Geeks] make that enormous melange of gameplay elements into a cohesive whole, then Armello will be rubbing elbows with the very best games on tablets."
    - Owen Faraday, Pocket Tactics
  • "One of the best games [at PAX Aus 2013], in my opinion, has to be Armello."
    - Terence Huynh, Tech Geek
  • "Armello might just have stumbled onto that elusive formula where it transcends traditional genre preferences."
    - Richard Moss, MacLife
Additional Links
www.armello.com
Official Game Website .

www.leagueofgeeks.com
Company Website .

Team & Repeating
Collaborators

Ty Carey
Director

Trent Kusters
Director

Blake Mizzi
Director

icon.png

Hey guys just want to say that I will continue to update the OP. Just wanted an official OT for the game as this game is great. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Cheers.

Last edited:

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, I'm surprised there aren't any replies to this thread yet. I've only played the game a little bit (did a couple of rounds with my partner last night, and a few over the last year or so), but it's got a lot of quality to it.

Is the DLC worth buying? I'm thinking about playing it more, and at the very least, River looks like a fun character.

OP
OP
janusff

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Wow, I'm surprised there aren't any replies to this thread yet. I've only played the game a little bit (did a couple of rounds with my partner last night, and a few over the last year or so), but it's got a lot of quality to it.

Is the DLC worth buying? I'm thinking about playing it more, and at the very least, River looks like a fun character.
hey there! welcome.

River is a fun character and one I mained for awhile. I got the Usurpers pack and have been playing with Elyssia, who's my new favorite character. If you stop a turn with her and you're on a settlement, she builds a permanent wall around so it takes other players two turns to enter a settlement. It's pretty handy. I've only got the Usurpers pack so I can't speak to the other bits of DLC.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
hey there! welcome.

River is a fun character and one I mained for awhile. I got the Usurpers pack and have been playing with Elyssia, who's my new favorite character. If you stop a turn with her and you're on a settlement, she builds a permanent wall around so it takes other players two turns to enter a settlement. It's pretty handy. I've only got the Usurpers pack so I can't speak to the other bits of DLC.
Whoops, for some reason I was thinking River was one of the DLC characters. Regardless, Elyssia's ability does sound very useful. I think I might go ahead and get all the DLC since it's on sale on Steam at the moment.

I'm excited to play this game more. Can't say I'm particularly good at it (at least not yet), but I've really enjoyed what I've played so far.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
ngg12Xd_d.jpg

Amber beat me to the king. :( It was the penultimate round, and I managed to get inside the castle, but she was already there and managed to kill him before I could cleanse him. I was feeling so confident too.

OP
OP
janusff

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Played a bit of the mobile version (iphone7plus) and it runs and looks surprising well. I guess I should stop being surprised about these games on mobile. Anyway noticed that's it's free to download and there's four starting characters instead of eight. (Amber, Thane, Mercurio and Sana)

But everything else seems to be the same in regards to content.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Played a bit of the mobile version (iphone7plus) and it runs and looks surprising well. I guess I should stop being surprised about these games on mobile. Anyway noticed that's it's free to download and there's four starting characters instead of eight. (Amber, Thane, Mercurio and Sana)

But everything else seems to be the same in regards to content.
Yeah, I was happy to see that the full game is there (though with a lot of the content presented differently since it's free-to-play). I tossed a few bucks in so I could get River, it's been fun to play when I'm away from my computer.

I also think the subscription option is kind of neat since you still have the option of just purchasing exactly what you want if you'd rather do that. I haven't looked into it enough to see if it's implemented well or not, but I like the idea at least, and think more games would benefit from an option like that for DLC.

OP
OP
janusff

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Okay. Been playing more of this lately (on console) and I ended up getting the bandit clan DLC and HOLY SHIT Sylas is a great character to pick if you like playing aggressively. Pick him and equip that one ring where you get a coin and prestige for every kingsgauard you kill, plus get a bounty in game, next thing you know you'll have swords for days and have plenty of coin. Fun character.

My top three favorite characters in no particular order: River, Elyssia and now Sylas.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Did they add new content to this or was it mostly new characters?

There's cosmetic skins, dice and boards, but in actual gameplay affecting things, it's only the characters (And a few new rings as well)

I do enjoy a good bit of Armello, my gripes with it though is that Prestige Victory is the one most people default to as it feels really hard to ever go for the other victory conditions. I feel some of them need to be made easier to do (Rot Espicially)

I also wish it was local multiplayer possible, I know it can't due to the Stealth Mechanic, but it will be a lot easier to play this with others if I don't have to tell them they need to spend $20 first to do so, and even in sales the game is still fairly up there in price espicially if you want the ultimate bundle.

Belker

Oct 27, 2017
This is on sale on Xbox Live. I've always liked the look of it, but what is the console performance like and how long is an average MP game? I'm looking for something that my friends and I can play in one evening in 45 minutes or so.

OP
OP
janusff

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
This is on sale on Xbox Live. I've always liked the look of it, but what is the console performance like and how long is an average MP game? I'm looking for something that my friends and I can play in one evening in 45 minutes or so.
I'd say 45 mins is about the average time to play an online game. Performance is at an unlocked frame rate and runs wells on my Pro. I use a community group to find games however cause the game can be rather dead if you match make randomly. There's a feature where you can play against the computer while it's finding a game for you. But sometimes I play a whole game without it finding a game so def try and use LFG or whatever on Xbox.

Belker

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say 45 mins is about the average time to play an online game. Performance is at an unlocked frame rate and runs wells on my Pro. I use a community group to find games however cause the game can be rather dead if you match make randomly. There's a feature where you can play against the computer while it's finding a game for you. But sometimes I play a whole game without it finding a game so def try and use LFG or whatever on Xbox.

Thanks for that detailed reply. I wouldn't be doing any matchmaking with randoms - I'm looking for a game that me and a specific friend can play together. He can get RSI, so he'd like a slower less frantic title.

We can get the base game for £8 or the all DLC version for £18. Do you think the DLC version is worth it for a casual gamer, or is the base game meaty enough? It's a big jump.

And do you still like it?

OP
OP
janusff

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Thanks for that detailed reply. I wouldn't be doing any matchmaking with randoms - I'm looking for a game that me and a specific friend can play together. He can get RSI, so he'd like a slower less frantic title.

We can get the base game for £8 or the all DLC version for £18. Do you think the DLC version is worth it for a casual gamer, or is the base game meaty enough? It's a big jump.

And do you still like it?
Yeah it's one of those things where if you don't get the DLC, you're missing out on a lot of characters. Part of the fun is trying different characters and some of the best ones are locked behind the DLC. You can totally not buy it and enjoy the game though. I think the game is great so I'd buy it with the DLC but you'll be fine if you get the base game.

Belker

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks again. Im going to have a think. Im resassured about the DLC, I need to consider how well I'd do to a game where's there"s opportunity for backstabbing and if I'd get annoyed at my friends.

It's odd in that I'm fine with. competition in shooters and fighters and sports games, but I've always found it difficult to twkr that mindset in boardgames or ones where you can turtle for a while.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Sorry about the necro bump, but the game is 8€ on the Switch and I don't know if I should go for it or not.

Did the 2.0 update came out on consoles?

Also, does it resemble in any way games like CIV6?

OP
OP
janusff

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Sorry about the necro bump, but the game is 8€ on the Switch and I don't know if I should go for it or not.

Did the 2.0 update came out on consoles?

Also, does it resemble in any way games like CIV6?
Devs said that 2.0 would come sometime in 2020

also I've never played civ6 but I would say that I like this game and is worth that price! A thing to consider is that the population on PS4 is pretty limited and folks have to use the community application to get some games going. I don't know what the story for switch is but I'd say be prepared for this to be a single player experience. playing against the computer isn't bad.

OrionStarri

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
GOOD NEWS! Console and PC will soon be at feature parity thanks to the v2.2 update, it will also bring FULL CROSSPLAY across all platforms (PS4, XB1, Switch, PC) the update isnt quite live yet on console, but will be within the next few days (date/time unspecified, but within the next 20 or so by now)

Full Announcement on the Steam page.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Oh dang, awesome. I knew they were working on feature parity, but I didn't know about crossplay. I really hope the game gets a nice boost from this.

OrionStarri

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I myself am super excited for this patch to eventually roll around on consoles I have this game on PS4 and Switch, as its where i have most of the DLC in them) and finally being able to try the Dragon Clan too, im curious as to how they play (havent got it on my PC version since i was waiting on console patches) better late than never, and it seems they were held back thanks to covid and other complications for so long, and especially since Australia was probably hit harder by covid, i can understand the wait it has been.

its also currently on sale on Playstation at 60% off until 1st of December for European/AUstralia/NZ regions and 60% off in US region until 2nd December

OrionStarri

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
the Crossplay update has gone live on Xbox first it seems! since the PC version already had it and PS4/Switch versions (which i own) havent got the update prompt yet.

Last edited: