• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
ARMS 5.3 is now online! Downloading...

Patch notes:
  • New "Dashboard" feature added.
    Check out the latest rankings, and tons of useful videos!
  • From Dashboard you can see the following.
    • Latest Worldwide & Regional Rankings
    • Party Crash Ranking by time slot
    • ARMS "Tips & Techniques" video collection
    • "Fighter Focus" video collection with tips for each fighter
    • "Tournament Clips" to so you can learn from the best
  • 15 Images added to Gallery.
  • Korean language is now supported.
  • Adjusted abilities of some fighters and ARMS as shown in THIS image.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Oh wow, so they actually straight-up added the Dashboard into the game itself? That's a really nice improvement, albeit one that probably would have gained a lot more traction if it'd been released earlier than now. It's cool that the updates they are providing, while not new characters or stages, are still pretty substantive in terms of the extra features being added.

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
So we are playing local across two separate Switches and both modes don't seem to have an option to disable the timer.

I believe playing local on one Switch, split screen, you can disable the timer.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Dbkqdt-UQAAmQ1u.jpg
Time to challenge GoreMagala !

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
I have yet to beat level 7 with any character. My highest rank is 4. Though I haven't tried much of either in my 80+ hours.

And at this point I'm afraid to try ranked again. Hats off to those who can beat level 7, but I'll stick with party crash/match which I've always found the most fun.

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
i watched a number of good Arms matches at Smash N Splash (via Twitch) with a few usual suspects. Pineapple. Twined. Resolve finished 3rd in defaults. Gore 2nd in customs. And Pega finished first in both... Good games all around, but Pega's a monster.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
How does countering work?
You mean the "insta-counter"? It works like this:

1. Hold up your block shield.
2. Wait for opponent to punch your shield.
3. When your opponent's punch hits your shield, press Dash.
4. You will avoid the hit and do a dash forward.
5. Immediately do a grab or a punch; you'll get a (nearly) free hit on him.

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
I saw on /r/arms a post about a Casual Arms lobby/discord, and I thought I'd try playing. I guess they do these parties often, maybe every week even. There's levels you can join, easy/medium/hard, and while once upon a time I could maybe do medium I knew I probably belonged in easy. Ha! Probably? Even "easy" kicked my butt. Still, was darn good fun. I'll need to play again.

I even learned that when wearing the hedlok mask and activating a rush, you can then throw if your opponent blocks which isn't the case usually... I learned that one the hard way:)

Oct 25, 2017
Darn; first Party Crash in which I didn't hit 10 (forgot about it until the last 15-minute block and scrambled up to 8 with a surprisingly consistent string of co-op victories over Hedlok 7). I already sided with both Ribbon Girl and Twintelle the first time around, in their respective appearances, but it seems that the character badges for the second rotation are different.

It also took me this long to notice that each character displays a different Thank You sketch at the conclusion of Party Crash (you can view the old ones in the stats page) depending on whether they won the event overall. Since Twintelle has both won and lost, you can see the difference if you sided with her both times.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
I picked this game up durning gamestops buy 2 get 1 free sale. Pretty fun so far, but man Twintelle is rough to play as. She's so slow, and her arms aren't great, the parasole actually seems to catch drag when she punches, lol. Any advice for her?

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Pretty fun so far, but man Twintelle is rough to play as. She's so slow, and her arms aren't great, the parasole actually seems to catch drag when she punches, lol. Any advice for her?
She's not a speedy character, IMO she plays closer to a Master Mummy than anything else. The Parasol takes a little time to unfurl before it hits the opponent, but the upside is that it's a very effective shield with a large hitbox (arm girth). So try keeping your distance, use the Parasol to keep opponents further away and the Chilla to do damage, and whittle down the opponent's health. Also be aware that she's vulnerable when her slow-time effect wears off, so don't rely on it too much.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
She's not a speedy character, IMO she plays closer to a Master Mummy than anything else. The Parasol takes a little time to unfurl before it hits the opponent, but the upside is that it's a very effective shield with a large hitbox (arm girth). So try keeping your distance, use the Parasol to keep opponents further away and the Chilla to do damage, and whittle down the opponent's health. Also be aware that she's vulnerable when her slow-time effect wears off, so don't rely on it too much.

What slow time effect?

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
What slow time effect?
It's officially called "Star Struck," and it's her signature special ability. When you dash or jump and then hold the dash button, Twintelle hovers in place and creates a force field that slows down all incoming projectiles while simultaneously charging her ARMS. This lets you dodge incoming attacks and lets you prep an immediate counterattack, such as hitting your opponent with a charged Chilla and freezing them in place.

Rei

Nov 1, 2017
Kuala Lumpur
I don't find Twintelle that slow. I do love the slow effect when jumping and etc. Makes it a lot more unpredictable for the opponent. Kinda main here since I like her.

You guys still play Arms a lot? Haven't been playing for a while. Kinda hate when I only see a lot of Ninjara last time.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
I don't find Twintelle that slow.
She's not the slowest character in the roster, but I find her one of the slowest, and you can't play her as a speedster. If anything, I find it funny that the fastest characters in this game tend to be the guys (Kid Cobra, Ninjara) and buck the typical fighting game trope of "women = faster".

And her Star Struck effect is pretty easy to counter if you're a patient player, just wait for it to wear off and then ambush her when she lands.
You guys still play Arms a lot? Haven't been playing for a while. Kinda hate when I only see a lot of Ninjara last time.
I play it every day, usually in 20-minute bursts (I do motion controls exclusively and want to cool down between sessions). Still lots of Ninjaras online, but they don't dominate and they're not that hard to beat. One of my toughest opponents recently was a Master Mummy who'd sit still and heal and clobber anyone who came close.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
I don't find Twintelle that slow. I do love the slow effect when jumping and etc. Makes it a lot more unpredictable for the opponent. Kinda main here since I like her.

How do you heal by sitting still? Is that his ability?

Kid Cobra is the first character I played as, Twintelle was the second, lol. So she seemed pretty slow at the time.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
How do you heal by sitting still? Is that his ability?
Yeah, every character has a unique ability, that's why they're not just cosmetic differences -- Spring Man gets perma-charged ARMS when his health drops below 25%, Ribbon Girl can jump up to 4 times in the air, Master Mummy heals when he blocks, Ninjara teleports, etc. Your choice of character + ARMS loadout affects your gameplay long term.
Kid Cobra is the first character I played as, Twintelle was the second, lol. So she seemed pretty slow at the time.
It's probably good to play a little bit with Spring Man just to get a sense of what the game considers a "baseline". I started off primarily as Min Min and thought she was pretty good in terms of speed, but after playing as Spring Man I realize she's slower than I'd like.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I think the Party Crash made me pick up Min Min. For reference, I was a Dr. Coyle main previously......with Lola Pop preceding her.......& Twintelle preceding her........plus I have some experience with Ribbon Girl & Mechanica.

I guess I can play as all of the ladies.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What button mapping is recommended?. Just picked up this game and so far I've kept default controls. But I removed block from left stick and mapped it to ZR/ZL.

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
What button mapping is recommended?. Just picked up this game and so far I've kept default controls. But I removed block from left stick and mapped it to ZR/ZL.
I think the general recommendation is whatever works for you:) Well, definitely remap block from the left stick. I personally would have left punch as ZL/ZR, and maybe changed L or R to block (I changed A and B to block). But again do whatever feels best.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I love this fucking game so much and I am now a Hedlok win away from finally beating this game's GP mode with every single character.

Yes, it took me this long and I've had this game since launch. I kept slowly plugging away at this game since then and promised myself I would really dive into the MP once I was done with everyone. I've only tried a few matches really.

I've been increasing the difficulty as time passed and I can now pretty comfortably play against Level 7. I have yet to try 8 but I don't think (I hope?) it should be too hard.

Tried Party Crash for the first time the other day. Is that just for a few days at a time only?

The ARMS replay theme is GOAT. Can that theme just play nonstop when the game is on? I fucking love it so much.

2 random clips.

Fuck this game. And by that I mean, fuck it, it's too good.

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
I love this fucking game so much and I am now a Hedlok win away from finally beating this game's GP mode with every single character.

Yes, it took me this long and I've had this game since launch. I kept slowly plugging away at this game since then and promised myself I would really dive into the MP once I was done with everyone. I've only tried a few matches really.

I've been increasing the difficulty as time passed and I can now pretty comfortably play against Level 7. I have yet to try 8 but I don't think (I hope?) it should be too hard.

Tried Party Crash for the first time the other day. Is that just for a few days at a time only?

The ARMS replay theme is GOAT. Can that theme just play nonstop when the game is on? I fucking love it so much.

2 random clips.

Fuck this game. And by that I mean, fuck it, it's too good.

Nice.

Party Crashes are one weekend (3 days) a month. But I'm not sure how many are left. Maybe just one. Plus that will be after online goes pay...

Party Match itself though is a lot of fun, and while human players are different from AI, if you can handle level 7 you can handle Party Match players.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
I have mixed feelings about the Party Crashes. I enjoy chasing for badges and the festive mood, but they also remind me how much I hate the mini games. I wanna fight, not play volleyball (awkwardly) or hit targets.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I have mixed feelings about the Party Crashes. I enjoy chasing for badges and the festive mood, but they also remind me how much I hate the mini games. I wanna fight, not play volleyball (awkwardly) or hit targets.

I'm with you on this. As much as I love the core gameplay, I find the minigames annoying and I don't really get them. Maybe there's a trick to them that I don't get.

I've posted about this before but I find the difficulty inconsistent and I'm not sure if it's just me. Even the core fights feel that way to me too. Sometimes I'll beat Hedlok very easily and other times I'll be stuck fighting him 10+ times.

I find that Helix and Kid Cobra are usually super easy to beat in the GP and that Master Mummy always gives me problems. Ribbon Girl and Spring Man are probably the next toughest characters aside from the bosses to me.

----------

Is finding a Ranked Match supposed to be this hard? Granted it was like 2am last night and I'm only Level 6 or so but I was up looking for a match and nothing came my way. I had a similar problem around 7pm on Saturday as well.

Is it my rank? Am I too low for people who have been playing since launch? I'm kinda concerned.

I'm not really a fan of the regular MP mode as I don't like teamplay, minigames, 1 round fights, or that mode where your special is instantly filled (or is that a Party Crash thing?).

I really do love the core fighting though. It's excellent.

I seriously want a sequel and an ARMS character in Smash now.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
I'm okay with Party Mode, though I don't regularly play it due to the aforementioned mini games. I play almost exclusively in either Ranked or Grand Prix just to focus on the fighting, though admittedly I've been off the wagon a bit due to Fortnite.

As for finding players online, I wonder what the active player base is. Maybe there should be a way to combine Ranked and Party battles, but with a handicap so high-ranking players don't destroy a lower-level party player.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
How the fuck does Volleyball work? I seriously don't get it.

And it's so annoying how stuff always seems to work out well for the AI and not me.

Level 7 is fucked. My first fight was Ribbon Girl and she was crazy. Min Min was much easier. Kicked her ass. Then comes Volley Ball and I couldn't roll my eyes any harder.

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really a fan of the regular MP mode as I don't like teamplay, minigames, 1 round fights, or that mode where your special is instantly filled (or is that a Party Crash thing?).
Do you mean when you start with your meter filled? That happens when you lose multiple times in a row as help to end your losing streak. Or do you mean when your meter constantly refills? That is a Party Crash mode, but I find the various Party Crash modes a lot of fun. My favorites being Big Time Arms and Bombs Away for being so different and chaotic.

In general nothing is as good as the core 1-on-1 fighting, but the various mini games and crash modes help mix up gameplay. Jumping around from game to game in Party Match or Crash is a lot of fun. It's my favorite way to play. I'm not a fan of the Party Crash events where you only play volleyball or only play skillshot for 5 minutes precisely because there's no variety.

I don't play much ranked, but the wait times have gotten a lot longer (which is largely why I don't play ranked). The party modes are no problem to quickly jump into a room, but I can only imagine what will happen once online becomes pay... Hell, I'm not certain I'll pay yet.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Ranked seems like the only way I wanna play Online for the most part so I'm actually quite concerned.

No I meant the special constantly getting refilled.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Took a while to find an online match last night so I just continued my second game of Level 7 as I waited.

I continue to be confused by the seeming inconsistency of the difficulty with this game.

I easily beat Dr. Coyle and Hedlok with Spring Man, along with everything else in the GP aside from my first match where it took several tries, and stupid V Ball where I also got stuck for a bit.

Now on my second game (now with Ribbon Girl who I guess I'm not as good with) I got stuck on the first character again: Twintelle. I've historically had trouble with her as the worst I've ever gotten stuck in this game was my Level 6 match with her against Helix and the crappy ARMS I had equipped against her. So I dunno if the game difficulty is down to certain variables like who I'm using or the ARMS I have equipped, or if there's just actually something inconsistent with it. But it's crazy how it can go from super annoying and rage inducing in one round, to painfully easy the next.

Having destroyed the 2 last bosses in Level 7 I felt confident going into Ranked. I beat them nicely the first round, Spring Man vs Min Min. Then they ran to Springtron and I couldn't beat them for numerous sounds. Several were 2-0 losses. Springtron seems pretty cheap and OP to me honestly. That force field thing of his when he charges up breaks your arms? Feels cheap as hell to me. I was really frustrated fighting this guy.

Can someone explain how his throw supersedes my charged punch?

Beat the Level 7 bosses pretty easily, yet struggled badly on the Level 6 Hedlok just before this. I don't get it.

Maybe I'm the inconsistent one lol?

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Springtron is super annoying with his shockwave. I find the best approach is to be defensive with him, since he's vulnerable after it goes off. His arms are also weak and easy to disable if you aim for them. Still annoying.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Springtron is super annoying with his shockwave. I find the best approach is to be defensive with him, since he's vulnerable after it goes off. His arms are also weak and easy to disable if you aim for them. Still annoying.

Yep. The person I was playing with last night really didn't like it when I backed off from them, or hit them before they could charge their shit.

It was insanely repetitive and predictable though. Annoying as hell. They chose Springtron after I handled their Min Min well. Right after they finally chose Master Mummy I was able to beat them again.

Is Springtron the cheapest/most OP character? I find Twintelle super hard in the GP.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i just started the game
it's awesome, i've done the grand prix with five of the characters so far. love the game's style, and i don't hate any of the characters which is a plus.
also i want every game to have badges now. not a big fan of achievements but i like badges.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Can anyone who has been playing regularly since the paid online comment on the activity?

It doesn't seem like Party mode has been particularly affected from my brief test just now. How's Ranked?

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone who has been playing regularly since the paid online comment on the activity?

It doesn't seem like Party mode has been particularly affected from my brief test just now. How's Ranked?
i started playing like a week ago. maybe people are still playing on higher levels but for someone who just started, i couldn't find anyone in ranked and i waited like 10 minutes, then i said fuck it.
party match still has people playing it and i had a bit of fun there.

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
So.... I guess that was the last Party Crash. Which doesn't surprise me, but it's quite disappointing Nintendo didn't mention that even once. For the game to 'end' with such a whimper feels odd. I was also hoping for an update where the party crash 'special' events became part of the normal party match as rare events. I never did get to fight that level 8 Hedlok:(

While people say the game sold well so there will be a sequel, I'm not so optimistic. Nintendo has high expectations for their games. I hope I'm wrong, but it might be quite some time before we see an Arms 2. Or the characters drift into Smash Bros cameo appearances like Earthbound...

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
ARMS lives! Time for a #PartyCrashBash tournament!

Ok, so this is the endgame for party crashes.

The notice came up for 17, but there was obviously no mention of a tournament.
So.... I guess that was the last Party Crash. Which doesn't surprise me, but it's quite disappointing Nintendo didn't mention that even once. For the game to 'end' with such a whimper feels odd. I was also hoping for an update where the party crash 'special' events became part of the normal party match as rare events. I never did get to fight that level 8 Hedlok:(

While people say the game sold well so there will be a sequel, I'm not so optimistic. Nintendo has high expectations for their games. I hope I'm wrong, but it might be quite some time before we see an Arms 2. Or the characters drift into Smash Bros cameo appearances like Earthbound...

Is this what's called a reverse jinx?

Last edited:

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
It's going to be hard to remind myself that this is going on during Thanksgiving weekend of all times, but if I get in on it at all I'll be lending Lola my power.
(By "power" I mean losing all my rounds for an hour then giving up, because I haven't played the game in ages, am rusty as hell, and sucked at it even when I was playing more regularly)