• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

fallengorn

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Destroyer >Barbarian. Yall need to stop.
giphy.gif

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Here's a free sequel treatment:

Conan's been king for 40 years. Rules the lands fairly but his dipshit sons kick him off the throne and have him assassinated or something. But he survives and lives in exile. Then Michael B Jordan comes and tries to kill him then trains under him and kills his sons and gets with his daughter. And Michael B Jordan is Thulsa Doom's son. The End. Then make Michael B Jordan spinoff movies.

EmptyWarren

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Conan needs a back to basics movie. Like what Dredd 2012 did, no exposition as to who Dredd was, or where he came from.

Just an ultra-violent dark fantasy action movie. Just call that shit 'CONAN'. No tag, no descriptor. Conan is a timeless character and everyone knows what they would be in for.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Momoa reboot was criminally underrated and was easily a far more accurate representation of Howard's character than the Arnold/Millius film. (It even had a Lovecraft nod)

Momoa was supposedly working on penning a sequel but nothing came of it unfortunately.

The villains were weak (very few could compare to James Earl Jones and those two definitely couldn't) but Momoa and the world were spot on. I'd love to see them bring in a better villain for Conan to battle and with his name out there as much as it is it would probably do quite well.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
The Momoa reboot was criminally underrated and was easily a far more accurate representation of Howard's character than the Arnold/Millius film. (It even had a Lovecraft nod)

Momoa was supposedly working on penning a sequel but nothing came of it unfortunately.

It might have adhered closer to the Conan stories by Howard, which I love, but the Arnold film for all its inaccuracies and loose take on the original material was a far superior film. Oliver Stone's script with Milius' bringing it to life and Poledoris' epic score driving the whole thing is not a trifecta that is easily topped.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It might have adhered closer to the Conan stories by Howard, which I love, but the Arnold film for all its inaccuracies and loose take on the original material was a far superior film. Oliver Stone's script with Milius' bringing it to life and Poledoris' epic score driving the whole thing is not a trifecta that is easily topped.

I like the film and it has a fantastic soundtrack and some great set pieces but it also takes some egregious liberties with the character, such as making Conan a slave (and having him grovel like a bitch at one point) and the Cimmerion people being nothing more than fodder for Thulsa Doom's soldiers.

The 2011 film is certainly more flat in terms of direction and style but I personally prefer it because it's actually a true and proper take on the character. It feels like something out of a Marvel or Dark Horse Conan comic and I wish we had gotten a sequel.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The villains were weak (very few could compare to James Earl Jones and those two definitely couldn't) but Momoa and the world were spot on. I'd love to see them bring in a better villain for Conan to battle and with his name out there as much as it is it would probably do quite well.

Agreed.

I would have loved a sequel given the solid foundation they laid with the first movie.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I like the film and it has a fantastic soundtrack and some great set pieces but it also takes some egregious liberties with the character, such as making Conan a slave (and having him grovel like a bitch at one point) and the Cimmerion people being nothing more than fodder for Thulsa Doom's soldiers.

The 2011 film is certainly more flat in terms of direction and style but I personally prefer it because it's actually a true and proper take on the character. It feels like something out of a Marvel or Dark Horse Conan comic and I wish we had gotten a sequel.

As I said this stuff isn't really an issue for me as the movie is a far better piece of cinema in nearly every category. The only thing that the Mamoa movie does better is accuracy to the source material.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As I said this stuff isn't really an issue for me as the movie is a far better piece of cinema in nearly every category. The only thing that the Mamoa movie does better is accuracy to the source material.

Understood.

I think it comes down to how much you love the source material.

The notion of Conan as a slave is antithetical to everything that character is in the Howard stories and comics; it's the equivalent of a Batman who murders.

It didn't ruin the film for me but it dampens my enthusiasm given how little Arnold's version resembles the character. They also opted to make him a bit of a meat-head, which is most assuredly not accurate given his brilliance as a military strategist. Conan is a very one-dimensional character in the Millius film; a combination of a script by somebody who didn't understand the character coupled with an actor who got the role solely because of his physical attributes.

Like Burton's Batman it is a product of it's time and a good film on its own merits but a poor representation of the mythology it purports to address. That's not intended as a slander either, just an observation and reasoning as to why I prefer the 2011 film.

Also, the soundtrack is God Tier. :)

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
He's going to have trouble getting a studio to spend the sort of money he wants to do this. Arnie's star has faded over the years and young audiences have zero connection to the original Conan films. Unless, as was once rumoured, Dwayne Johnson agrees to co-star as a younger Conan or even Conan's son I don't see this going anywhere. .

Unless Netflix or some deep pocketed Chinese outfit comes along I think this is forever going to be a pipe dream.

ProtomanNeo

Oct 27, 2017
It's already been tried multiple times and it fell apart. The first was Conan Crown of Iron. Written by Millius and supposed to be directed by him as well the project fell apart. I've read that script and I think we dodged a bullet with that one. It was last called Legend of Conan and has went through multiple rewrites to address things like the budget, but it hasn't looked good.

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Old man Conan would actually work better then doing Terminator again and again. Hope it happens.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
This reminds me, I'll have to (re-)watch the movies it's been ages (at least 15 years) since I saw them last and I barely anything.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
nahh he is really too old,
Why don't they give someone else the chance

They did.

And they made an awful movie. Drogo Conan also forsake the use of the classic Poledouris themes. Garbage movie.
Did he actually knew the answer to the riddle of steel?

"It isn't until his father's sword is broken that Conan realizes the true answer to the riddle: all the power of both steel and flesh come from one's beliefs. Flesh grows weak. Steel becomes brittle. But the will is indomitable."

Fierro

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Do it and have his son Joseph Baena be his son in the movie also named Conan and passes the mantle.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
The only really good Conan movie is Barbarian because how amazing the atmosphere is in that movie. The music really carries the movie, but they take time with a lot of small details that really add a lot to the movie. Would anyone make a movie anymore where they spend 4 minutes on the Wheel of Pain (or whatever it is called), a training scene where they also teach Conan how to mate with women and then fight to the death coliseum style and some random action with a witch slut?

The other movies have a few great moments here and there, but they never capture the atmosphere created in the first movie, which obviously came from years of work and vision crafted into a single product.

If they do that again, which is not very common in most Hollywood movies these days, you can get a new Conan that would be similar to the new Mad Max movie.

If it is just a rushed adventure movie that spends all of its time on the special effects and costumes it will not end up being anything special.