• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Soo... do we know what's happening with the second half of this or what?

Thinking about cancelling my Netflix sub, because this is probably the only thing I care about on the streaming service, but there hasn't a been a freaking peep about the follow up to this season. Is it even still happening?

Yeah as said its filmed already. They are probably just timing the release, assuming its probably later this year.

If anything, I think you can suspend your subscription until this releases. Not sure though

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Were they really expecting people to wait a year for a conclusion to that limp season? Netflix should have just released the rest after the lukewarm reception and accompanying controversy.

Bacon

Oct 26, 2017
Were they really expecting people to wait a year for a conclusion to that limp season? Netflix should have just released the rest after the lukewarm reception and accompanying controversy.

Can't even remember what happened in the first half. Such a shame how far it's fallen.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was thinking the other day where the hell is this season's second half. With pauses this long you usually get a brand new season. Wonder if they quietly cancelled the rest or something. It wasn't that bad imho but it sure was the weakest season so far. I will do a rewatch of the first half of the season once/if the new epispdes drop but the more they wait the less I care to be honest.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Was thinking the other day where the hell is this season's second half. With pauses this long you usually get a brand new season. Wonder if they quietly cancelled the rest or something. It wasn't that bad imho but it sure was the weakest season so far. I will do a rewatch of the first half of the season once/if the new epispdes drop but the more they wait the less I care to be honest.

There's no benefit for Netflix in cancelling the rest of an already produced season. It is weird that they're not, just, like, calling it Season 6 or w/e, because Netflix has been known to split up a series of episodes that were all filmed at the same time into multiple seasons.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, I'd completely forgotten this was supposed to come back this year.

Like... I did enjoy S5 and wanted to see the back half of it, but man, what is Netflix doing. Really don't enjoy how they split this and Kimmy Schmidt.

Hope it comes early next year. Call it S6 or whatever they need to, I just want to watch it =/

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If they split the season because they figured they'd only get one new season of AD filmed every 2-3 years, that makes sense to me.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
So watching this show for the very first time. Still on season 1.

OMG, this is some genius stuff, there are times where I laugh out loud. I'm on EP 17, does it remain this good through out?

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

OMG, this is some genius stuff, there are times where I laugh out loud. I'm on EP 17, does it remain this good through out?
it fucking snowballs if you can believe it, getting consistently better and better over time, with the only egregious drops in quality coming after the end of the initial run (seasons 1-3). And you're still gonna wanna watch Season 4 and 5, they aren't as consistently great but they're still home to some of my favorite moments and humor in the series.
and the first rewatch of the series is just as good as the first watch, because a lot of the jokes in every season might not even register for you initially, as context later gleaned from the next season unveils the punchline
it's really something special

Last edited:

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Season 1-3 are very funny. Season 4 remixed is still kinda funny. Season 5 is kinda funny.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I was just thinking about this the other day. I could have sworn I remember them teasing pt 2 coming online sooner than we'd expect.

Here we are almost a year later...

I would hope it's because they are trying to make it better. Even if they can't shoot new stuff with the actors they can do ADR, edit it differently, something. The first half of the season was so bad that another set of episodes like that would almost certainly end the series forever. There have been mediocre AD episodes before but S5 was genuine shit, so bad that I'm not even sure I want any more. Even if the second half of S5 turns out OK I'm not sure the show can carry on with the Tambor situation, Portia retiring, Hurwitz' lack of involvement etc. Perhaps they are trying to rework S5 part 2 into a real ending for the series.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every time this thread gets bumped my heart skips a beat, thinking they shadowdropped Part 2 or something. Why the fuck are they waiting so long now? If the reception or the numbers have been trash, just push out the rest and be done with it, hoping it gets a bit of a cult status down the line or something. If the numbers were good, on the other hand, why wait for the interest to dry up so much after a cliffhanger ending? I just don't get it.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
I would hope it's because they are trying to make it better. Even if they can't shoot new stuff with the actors they can do ADR, edit it differently, something. The first half of the season was so bad that another set of episodes like that would almost certainly end the series forever. There have been mediocre AD episodes before but S5 was genuine shit, so bad that I'm not even sure I want any more. Even if the second half of S5 turns out OK I'm not sure the show can carry on with the Tambor situation, Portia retiring, Hurwitz' lack of involvement etc. Perhaps they are trying to rework S5 part 2 into a real ending for the series.

I would hope it was this. Honestly, the first part was so bad I don't even care about watching the rest unless there's a significant change made.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
Well, I still enjoyed the first part of s5. Still miles better than s4.

I am surprised the second part still isn't out. Iirc the first part came out around the same time as the first part of Kimmy Schmidt, which just had its second part release a few weeks ago.

Oct 27, 2017
I would hope it was this. Honestly, the first part was so bad I don't even care about watching the rest unless there's a significant change made.

This is where I'm at too. If the reception to S5 pt2 is similar to pt1 I probably won't even bother watching it. I'm just about ready to be completely finished with the whole show unless it has a dramatic spike in quality.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bad television not getting released is a great thing.

Part one was painful even compared to the dreadful fourth season.

Don't agree with that. As this thread testifies, there's people interested in closing the season. Them quietly cancelling it does no one favours, really. If you didn't want to watch it, you still can. I had mixed feelings about it, it had painfully unfunny moments but also some good parts, and I'd like some closure, fully aware of the fact it's probably never gonna be as good as S1-3 for a variety of reasons. But taking it away after promising another half season really does nobody any good.

Deleted member 4609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really doubt it's cancelled... yet. They're most likely waiting for Cinco de Cuatro before dropping it and giving it a small marketing push as the series finale. With Portia and Tambor gone, the hellish process that filming S5 apparently was and the usual scheduling headaches it's probably for the best.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Part 2 is already filmed so there'd be no point in cancelling it. The money has already been spent.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
im glad the second part is finally coming. I didnt mind season 5 but that silent film scene pt1 ended on was so unfunny and baffling it wouldve been a major bummer if that was the "final" scene of Arrested

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
Started season 2 last night, I just have no words for how good this show was, I don't know if ahead of tits time is the right description, but man o man this is something special.

Bacon

Oct 26, 2017
I'm rewatching season 5 now to get ready and I forgot how fucking insane and convoluted the timeline is in this season and season 4.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I finished it, and, well, at least they stopped having Tobias constantly talk about how he has no reason to be on the show anymore. I get that with Lindsey gone they couldn't afford to lose another cast member, but
it boggles why they bothered to bring DeBrie back and introduce Murphey because they contribute literally nothing to the show

Valkrai

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone finished the season yet? How is it and is it worth finishing after the first half?

Bacon

Oct 26, 2017
Has there always been obnoxious music playing behind every scene or did that start with season 4/5? It's so distracting.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone finished the season yet? How is it and is it worth finishing after the first half?

if you didn't like the first half of season 5 then the second half won't change your mind. there's maybe a little less "and then everyone drove down to mexico, and then they drove back to california, and then they drove back to mexico" type stuff, and there's a few solid jokes, but it still meanders quite a bit and it has that problem that the Netflix revival has always had where the jokes drag on just a little bit too long

Deleted member 25702

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I am convinced every episode of season 5 could have been saved if they didn't have to stop and recap and recap the recaps every five minutes. Formatting this now-serialized show for television again is the most pig-headed decision ever. Any chance the show could gain momentum and advance the plot HAS to be stopped—and for absolutely no gain by the by. If Fox really does intend to put AD back on TV via syndication, people out of the loop will hate watching this show.

Also +1 to the above re: music being way more obnoxious now.

Oct 27, 2017
I finished it, and, well, at least they stopped having Tobias constantly talk about how he has no reason to be on the show anymore. I get that with Lindsey gone they couldn't afford to lose another cast member, but
it boggles why they bothered to bring DeBrie back and introduce Murphey because they contribute literally nothing to the show

Ugh. DeBrie and Marky Bark were the worst things about S4.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
on E12 and it's watchable enough, but man... so many jokes and gags that feel like they should be a lot funnier than they are, and like they would have worked in S1-3, but the timing, delivery, and direction are off enough to keep them from landing

Oct 27, 2017
on E12 and it's watchable enough, but man... so many jokes and gags that feel like they should be a lot funnier than they are, and like they would have worked in S1-3, but the timing, delivery, and direction are off enough to keep them from landing
Are the new episodes still 30+ minutes long? That's been a huge problem contributing to the Netflix seasons not being as good.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017

Everyone involved has lost the spark, the show feels wrong. The actors look so tired and bored, they are just doing it out of obligation and don't really seem to be enjoying it. I'm glad that this is the end because they haven't been able to reach even the middling quality of S4 and with the aging/availability of the actors it was only ever going to be downhill. They are having to cut massive corners just to get characters in the same shot, it could never carry on.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I liked it. Better than the first half of season 5, had a good amount of solid laughs. Nothing amazing but if this is how it concludes, I'm happy enough.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017

I agree. There's something about the more cinematic style that makes it feel very different and throws the whole thing off.

Watching this back half I was struck by how bare and bland the set design was; and the widescreen and cinematography drew even more attention to it

Deleted member 43657

Banned
May 19, 2018
I watched it, and I'll say it's the best of the Netflix episodes, but that just means it's the shiniest of the three turds. I will say, however, that they concluded the show about the best they possibly could given how off-the-rails season four was.

One thing I still don't quite understand:
Why did Buster kill Lucille 2?

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I watched it, and I'll say it's the best of the Netflix episodes, but that just means it's the shiniest of the three turds. I will say, however, that they concluded the show about the best they possibly could given how off-the-rails season four was.

One thing I still don't quite understand:
Why did Buster kill Lucille 2?

I imagine it's a combination of being hopped up on the juice and Everything That Happened In His Entire Life Leading Up To That Point

Deleted member 7156

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The most confusing part of S5 second half was them feeling the need of retconning something from Season 1.

Lucille mother died 6 months before "Missing Kitty", yet in S5 Buster killer Lucille mother years before that.

Deleted member 43657

Banned
May 19, 2018
The most confusing part of S5 second half was them feeling the need of retconning something from Season 1.

Lucille mother died 6 months before "Missing Kitty", yet in S5 Buster killer Lucille mother years before that.
Huh. I totally forgot about that. Could that have been her mother-in-law from George's side?