• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The most confusing part of S5 second half was them feeling the need of retconning something from Season 1.

Lucille mother died 6 months before "Missing Kitty", yet in S5 Buster killer Lucille mother years before that.
You think THAT'S something....

Lucille : Oh, George, I should have never doubted you. Even when you slept with my sister it was for a good reason.

George Sr. : Got her to stop drinking, didn't it?

I think Nana was just Lucille's step-mother after her father remarried, hence why she wasn't torn up about her passing.

Last edited:

Deleted member 25702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Re: the ending of 5.2:
The thing I appreciated about season 4 was that it gave everyone EXCEPT Buster a reason to kill Lucille 2. Besides all the wonky timeline stuff, doesn't that season go out of its way to give Buster a (dramatically ironic) alibi of being knocked out and then finding Lucille's corpse later that night?
Also, uhhhhhhh are they saying he fucked her corpse?????????????

Oct 27, 2017
I watched the first episode last night. It wasn't as bad as I was expecting, and Lucille still had a few nice barbs. Will probably try some more later.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still need to watch the final two episodes, but this second half is a lot stronger than the first one. There's still a couple shortcomings, including Michael still being mostly uninteresting (which is shocking, he was so damn good S1-S3), the long recaps and the predictability. On the other hand, there are definitive improvements over the first half too, like Gob being funny again and a story that doesn't just dance around the issue of having Lindsay leaving the show. Still not on par with the classics, but this is an enjoyable ride imho, much better than the first half of the season.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I watched the first episode last night. It wasn't as bad as I was expecting, and Lucille still had a few nice barbs. Will probably try some more later.

I watched the first ep too, and it felt like scenes went on for way too long. Like they were trying to explain jokes to make them funny, in a way. The quick hits of S1-3 are just gone now. It makes me sad. I also just have zero investment in the plots they've set up.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017

That's the way I've felt about the whole of S5 so far (i'm only a couple of episodes into the second half). I've read such bad things, but it's fine. It's not S1-3 quality, but it's still an enjoyable show and miles better (for me) than the mess that was S4.

If anything, I feel what's holding it back is having to hang onto the S4 plotlines baggage.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
I enjoyed the recut version of S4 a lot more. Ron Howard saying "Fateful Consequences" never got old for me.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Watched the final episode yesterday. I think that was a good way for the show to end.

I didn't know Lindsay was coming back for the very last part. That was a nice surprise.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watched the final episode yesterday. I think that was a good way for the show to end.

I didn't know Lindsay was coming back for the very last part. That was a nice surprise.

I also enjoyed the finale, a very satisfying bit of fan service with everything neatly tied up together, with some pleasant comebacks too. The second half of the season was definitely stronger than the first half, wouldn't be surprised if they recut or reshot a couple things after the criticisms for the prior episodes. In some scenes it seems very noticeable, I think it was in episode 9 that there was a part inside the model home where the older Bluths were in the same area as Gob, Maeby and Tobias, but there was not a single camera angle in which you'd effectively see them together, they were clearly cutting back and forth. Makes me think that's one of the situations they recut, with only part of the actors who were available for it.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
I think Warden Gentles was the only person who was green screened in this time.

Possibly because James Lipton is.... 92 years old!

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Warden Gentles was the only person who was green screened in this time.

Possibly because James Lipton is.... 92 years old!

Green screens were reduced, though there was a (probably intentionally) very visible backdrop usage in the flashbacks (let's call 'em that). But you can definitely notice in some scenes how they tried to work around the fact that the actors in the same room are not, in fact, all in the same room, by cutting between different camera angles, never having to have more than 2-3 on it at the same time.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
The weirdest one was in season 4 when Jason Bateman did a scene with Ron Howard's father (RIP), but somehow Ron Howard wasn't there to perform with his own dad and did his part of the scene separately, even though he was in other scenes with Jason Bateman.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
So I finished S5 today. I do need to watch both it and S4 again but on the whole I am beginning to get to the view that I kinda wish Netflix had never revived it in the first place. I have such mixed feelings about the two new seasons.

So the positive - S5 is miles better than S4, it did give me a number of laughs (loved Gene showing up again and Maeby in the retirement village was the best the show has been in years) and I did get a better feel of that whole twisting storyline that the second and third seasons had.

I also, generally, liked the finale and felt like it did a commendable job of tying up everything from the mess of a fourth season fairly neatly. I also loved seeing
Lindsey again, although I knew she was coming back based on the episode count and how many she'd done in the first half

(Although I wouldn't been content not seeing the "on the next Arrested Development" scene and just leaving that question unanswered.)

On the whole though, it just wasn't the same Arrested Development I remember. Things like the
flashback story scenes with Cobie Smulders and Jean Smart
kinda felt woefully out of place - I know AD did it in S2 in a similar way, but the way they were executed here just felt completely off.

It rarely hit the same comedy notes for me too - S2 and S3 in their prime would make me laugh every few seconds with each new idea and I'd say I was following S5 for the overarching plot plus the characters I'd grown to love but it would make me laugh very infrequently. I'm not sure why - shows like 30 Rock managed to capture that 'blink and you'll miss it' comedy vibe well after AD had finished, but it just didn't return with the revival here (better in S5 than S4, but still miles off the pace). I'm guessing maybe Mitch is doing more of the writing and they don't have the same writers table as before willing to insert crazy ideas at every turn?

I'll still need some time to digest it and maybe give it another watch, but overall I think when I return to AD it'll just be the first three seasons and I'll leave it at Development Arrested because even though that was rushed, it felt like a better send off to the characters than anything in the newer seasons.

It's such a shame, because I'd longed for more AD when it was at its prime (I know most people are down on S3, but I loved it and would've taken a tonne more of it back then) and this revival has mostly been a mis-fire for me.

Oct 27, 2017
So I finished S5 today. I do need to watch both it and S4 again but on the whole I am beginning to get to the view that I kinda wish Netflix had never revived it in the first place. I have such mixed feelings about the two new seasons.

So the positive - S5 is miles better than S4, it did give me a number of laughs (loved Gene showing up again and Maeby in the retirement village was the best the show has been in years) and I did get a better feel of that whole twisting storyline that the second and third seasons had.

I also, generally, liked the finale and felt like it did a commendable job of tying up everything from the mess of a fourth season fairly neatly. I also loved seeing
Lindsey again, although I knew she was coming back based on the episode count and how many she'd done in the first half

(Although I wouldn't been content not seeing the "on the next Arrested Development" scene and just leaving that question unanswered.)

On the whole though, it just wasn't the same Arrested Development I remember. Things like the
flashback story scenes with Cobie Smulders and Jean Smart
kinda felt woefully out of place - I know AD did it in S2 in a similar way, but the way they were executed here just felt completely off.

It rarely hit the same comedy notes for me too - S2 and S3 in their prime would make me laugh every few seconds with each new idea and I'd say I was following S5 for the overarching plot plus the characters I'd grown to love but it would make me laugh very infrequently. I'm not sure why - shows like 30 Rock managed to capture that 'blink and you'll miss it' comedy vibe well after AD had finished, but it just didn't return with the revival here (better in S5 than S4, but still miles off the pace). I'm guessing maybe Mitch is doing more of the writing and they don't have the same writers table as before willing to insert crazy ideas at every turn?

I'll still need some time to digest it and maybe give it another watch, but overall I think when I return to AD it'll just be the first three seasons and I'll leave it at Development Arrested because even though that was rushed, it felt like a better send off to the characters than anything in the newer seasons.

It's such a shame, because I'd longed for more AD when it was at its prime (I know most people are down on S3, but I loved it and would've taken a tonne more of it back then) and this revival has mostly been a mis-fire for me.

Yeah, Netflix bringing AD back has been the ultimate Monkey Paw TV show revival. I tried watching a bit more last night but I just don't know if I can. I dislike where most of the original characters have gone, with the exception of Maeby and maybe Lucille. I really strongly dislike all Tobias stuff now. About 5% of the jokes land for me. I'm forcing myself to watch it but not enjoying it at all. I'd rather rewatch S1-3 again, or some other comedy like The IT Crowd.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I actually really liked the very end of season 5, that is the last 10-15 minutes.

Other than that this whole season has been an incomprehensible mess. Something is very off about the show and it should stay dead this time.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yikes at the conversation between Michael and Lucille in episode 15. They had to redo the line and voiced it over super sloppily

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can we talk about how kid Gob nailed his role. He was a standout for those scenes :lol:

Only if we can talk about how the writers have no clue what to do with Gob in the actual time period. Will Arnett does what he can, but the only joke and plot he had all of season 5 was the fake gay act.

It was really disappointing.

But yeah, the kid absolutely nailed it.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
Only if we can talk about how the writers have no clue what to do with Gob in the actual time period. Will Arnett does what he can, but the only joke and plot he had all of season 5 was the fake gay act.

It was really disappointing.

But yeah, the kid absolutely nailed it.

Literally the only time in the 16 episodes that I laughed with adult Gob was when he looked at Mrs Veal's boobs and realised he wasn't gay. This season had no idea what to do with anyone except possibly Buster and Lucille (and still botched that). Maebe had some funny moments but they didn't really feel like part of the story, the whole thing was a mess.

One day we will find out what really went down behind the scenes, because as haphazard as S4 was it was very ambitious and still had that AD zaniness. This one feels like Mitch just wrote an outline on a napkin one day and let some interns make it all up on set before having to redo the second half in ADR after they realised how shit the first half was.

Last edited:

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm halfway through Season 5. I've watched two episodes sober and there were too many gaps between my laughs. Fox are assholes for cancelling this in the first place, too much time passed between Season 3 and 4.

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Feels like AD seasons 4 and 5 is an example of when you shouldn't just do what the fanbase says without a solid plan or thought-out plot. Then again, that's par for the course for Netflix original shows.

Tainted

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Only 2 eps into S5 Pt2, I am just not feeling it at all (but then again AD has been a shell of its former self over these 2 revival seasons). The storylines are an over complicated mish mash of ideas which have struggled to generate a smile from me.

Also...No Lindsay after 2 eps and not even a mention, does she make an appearance at all in Pt 2 ? I honestly haven't been following the news, so it may be well known she left the show prior to these new eps.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Only 2 eps into S5 Pt2, I am just not feeling it at all (but then again AD has been a shell of its former self over these 2 revival seasons). The storylines are an over complicated mish mash of ideas which have struggled to generate a smile from me.

Also...No Lindsay after 2 eps and not even a mention, does she make an appearance at all in Pt 2 ? I honestly haven't been following the news, so it may be well known she left the show prior to these new eps.
She appears extremely briefly in the finale at the very end, I would mark this with spoilers but it's hardly that. She retired from acting not too long ago.

Tainted

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
She appears extremely briefly in the finale at the very end, I would mark this with spoilers but it's hardly that. She retired from acting not too long ago.

Ah right, thanks. I think they really need to call it a day on this show. The fact they are struggling to get them all into the same room together, combined with actors leaving/quitting and other notable news stories, it all just seems rather futile at this point.

I'm being rather harsh here, but I wish Season 4 and 5 just never happened. The magic which is Seasons 1-3 could never be reproduced again.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Ah right, thanks. I think they really need to call it a day on this show. The fact they are struggling to get them all into the same room together, combined with actors leaving/quitting and other notable news stories, it all just seems rather futile at this point.

I'm being rather harsh here, but I wish Season 4 and 5 just never happened. The magic which is Seasons 1-3 could never be reproduced again.
For real, it needs to go. As you said in your first post there was just WAY too much time between S3 and 4 and then again with 4 to 5. The actors are phoning in a ton.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I don't really agree with this sentiment at all. You won't find many claiming S4 or S5 are anywhere near the quality levels of S1-S3, at the same time there have been good moments spread throughout the revival(s), and I'm happy these seasons happened. I mean, we still had the vote to kick Michael out of the dorm, the Mexican Romneys, how the whole Fakeblock thing started (though it went on too long and got overly complicated), Maeby in the retirement home, and so on. Sure, it hasn't be a no miss assault of laughter like prior seasons, but it's still more entertaining than most comedy shows on TV right now with their pop culture references passed off as actual jokes, fake laugh tracks and embarassing acting.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
I really thought the second half of season 5 was hysterical and if I hadn't seen reviews before hand I wouldn't have questioned the quality of the show at all or whether I have bad taste. The face block acquisition and public reveal/GM's reaction was one of the best sequences in the entire series.

Last edited:

Bacon

Oct 26, 2017
I don't really agree with this sentiment at all. You won't find many claiming S4 or S5 are anywhere near the quality levels of S1-S3, at the same time there have been good moments spread throughout the revival(s), and I'm happy these seasons happened. I mean, we still had the vote to kick Michael out of the dorm, the Mexican Romneys, how the whole Fakeblock thing started (though it went on too long and got overly complicated), Maeby in the retirement home, and so on. Sure, it hasn't be a no miss assault of laughter like prior seasons, but it's still more entertaining than most comedy shows on TV right now with their pop culture references passed off as actual jokes, fake laugh tracks and embarassing acting.

Season 4 was worth it for the sound of silence alone tbh. Great bit.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Season 4 was worth it for the sound of silence alone tbh. Great bit.

GOB falling backwards in a Jesus pose into the arms of Anne's family was probaly my favourite moment of the whole of season 4.

Season 5 was....ok. I think the actors all did the best with the material, the problem was the material itself. It was just nowhere near as snappy as it used to be. A lot of the cast had next to nothing to do (GOB & Tobias in particular) and most of the episodes drag on too long. They clearly understood this complaint by cutting the running time down for the recut season 4 so I have no idea why they made the same mistake again here. So much ADR as well which is incredibly jarring (though minimal greenscreen compared to season 4 thank god). I felt like every time the camera was behind someone talking the actor was dubbed in post. The side of the mouth just didn't match at all with what they were saying.

Best line of the season for me was GOB, after Buster exclaims he's a wanted man, he says "that's impossible, you weren't even a wanted child!" Just the way he says it is hilarious.

Bacon

Oct 26, 2017
GOB falling backwards in a Jesus pose into the arms of Anne's family was probaly my favourite moment of the whole of season 4.

Season 5 was....ok. I think the actors all did the best with the material, the problem was the material itself. It was just nowhere near as snappy as it used to be. A lot of the cast had next to nothing to do (GOB & Tobias in particular) and most of the episodes drag on too long. They clearly understood this complaint by cutting the running time down for the recut season 4 so I have no idea why they made the same mistake again here. So much ADR as well which is incredibly jarring (though minimal greenscreen compared to season 4 thank god). I felt like every time the camera was behind someone talking the actor was dubbed in post. The side of the mouth just didn't match at all with what they were saying.

Best line of the season for me was GOB, after Buster exclaims he's a wanted man, he says "that's impossible, you weren't even a wanted child!" Just the way he says it is hilarious.

Yeah I think it was a mistake to rely so heavily on season 4 storylines. The story feels way too convoluted and burdened by the season 4 (which didn't have that compelling an overall story anyway)

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
Since we're sharing favourite jokes of S5, one moment I did love was from Buster (who is hardly my favourite character at the best of times):

"Lottie...she's so mean, I wish I could shove her down the stairs"

Made me laugh far more than I thought it would for such a simple line.

Last edited:

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
The thing I appreciated about season 4 was that it gave everyone EXCEPT Buster a reason to kill Lucille 2. Besides all the wonky timeline stuff, doesn't that season go out of its way to give Buster a (dramatically ironic) alibi of being knocked out and then finding Lucille's corpse later that night?
Hahahahaha no no no,

She wouldn't be smiling if he fucked her post-death. The joke is a little weak and IMO needed a bit more to it, but it's meant to imply she was fucked to death.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Finally got to finishing S5P2

I....really enjoyed it! Everything from S4 and 5 tied together at the end in the very AD way.
Which I honestly didn't expect because of how tumultuous its been, but I was cracking up and had a smile on my face the entire last two episodes.

Michael's
chicken dance. Buster's foot in his mouth. GOB and Tony lol. Lindsey and Lucille are step-sisters wut? this makes George Michael and Maeby Aunt and Nephew? or still Cousins once removed? lmaoooo

fucking wow

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Hahahahaha no no no,

She wouldn't be smiling if he fucked her post-death. The joke is a little weak and IMO needed a bit more to it, but it's meant to imply she was fucked to death.
Omg of course. I love AD's multi-layer jokes. My favorite from 5.2 is probably the 2nd-Time-Through Guilty Guys joke.

LOL I've never seen the movie, but its also this apparently:

goddamnit!

edit: oh duh. The ending music playing...

The most confusing part of S5 second half was them feeling the need of retconning something from Season 1.

Lucille mother died 6 months before "Missing Kitty", yet in S5 Buster killer Lucille mother years before that.

Mimi is Lucille's step-mother? Nana could have been her real mother?
Two grandma's i think.

lol that "Cruise" thing though seems like a callback
Lindsay:
Where's Nana?
Lucille:
I sent her on a wonderful cruise.

Last edited:

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I've got two episodes left to the end. Was this season massively rewritten in post? The ADR is very noticeably bad and there's a ton of it. And it's not just a lot of dialogue being dubbed in for characters who are off screen or somehow have their mouths obscured (though there is that), but I've seen a bunch of instances where the dialogue is flat out not matching to the characters' mouths. I don't think I've ever seen ADR this bad in such a relatively high-profile production.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
I've got two episodes left to the end. Was this season massively rewritten in post? The ADR is very noticeably bad and there's a ton of it. And it's not just a lot of dialogue being dubbed in for characters who are off screen or somehow have their mouths obscured (though there is that), but I've seen a bunch of instances where the dialogue is flat out not matching to the characters' mouths. I don't think I've ever seen ADR this bad in such a relatively high-profile production.
These episodes may have been worse, but Arrested Development was always very loose with the ADR and not having it match semi-concealed mouths.