• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
pLNZmzi.jpg
This time the Bluths are all together. Whether they like it or not.

Release date: May 29th on Netflix.

Spoilers: Please spoiler tag any spoilers for two weeks.

Links:
Cast:

F9vi79F.jpg

Jason Bateman as Michael Bluth, Will Artnet as Gob Bluth, Portia de Rossi as Lindsay Bluth Fünke

MiPMMFq.jpg

Tony Hale as Buster Bluth, Jessica Walter as Lucille Bluth, David Cross as Tobias Fünke

so4H1uR.jpg

Alia Shawkat as Maeby Fünke, Michael Cera as George-Michael Bluth, Ron Howard as Narrator

Reviews:

• Dan of Geek:
    The fact that season five (like season four again) gets marginally better as it goes along only reinforces this concept. It's like the editor, the true main character of the show, is becoming more adept at creating comedy from all the chaos as it gets acclimated to it.

There are still laughs to be found in Arrested Development Season 5, mostly thanks to Michael Cera and Alia Shawkat growing with their characters perfectly But this is the high-powered microchip of television comedies. It can only ever be two things: functional or dysfunctional. Season five is the latter.
  • AV Club:
    Tangled is a good place for Arrested Development to be. That may not seem like the case after season four, whose numerous plots were made additionally confusing by the non-chronological episode order, but season five feels more cohesive, like the Bluths are all mixed up with each other, not on their own tangents. And maybe it's the placebo effect of having the show's traditional format back, but season five has the rhythm season four lacked. Season four's structure, such as it was, required a reset at the beginning of nearly every episode. Season five moves from point to point, building on and riffing off what came before, and Arrested Development feels like its old self again.

More important, season five is funny, and gets funnier as it proceeds. The first episode has a lot of heavy lifting with exposition, but lands enough laughs to not make fans nervous. The episodes offer a bounty of the clever wordplay that made Arrested Development so quotable, and some funny scenes that stand with the series' best.
  • Vanity Fair:
    Either way, the remix serves as a necessary transition, because Season 5 is markedly different from the original Season 4—and much more in line with the first three seasons of the show. In Arrested's latest iteration, the cast is mostly in the same place at the same time; Jason Bateman's Michael, who went down a dark path in Season 4, is back to being mostly a good guy; the episodes are once again a digestible 20-odd minutes. Even the original opening titles are back, albeit with updated photos.

It's such a relief. Arrested Development is fascinating even when it's not funny, but Season 5 is funny—not as funny as the show was in its heyday, but the magic is there, and more clearly visible than in Season 4. It's even occasionally funny in a subtly new way, as the weight of nearly 15 years with these characters deepens the ironies of their predicaments. The intricacies of its plot are accessible to the audience, and the story rockets forward with energy that Season 4 wholly lacked. That Season 5 is eminently more watchable also sets the stage for bigger laughs down the line, because Arrested Development's finest moments are often entire seasons in the making.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Like I said in the other thread, in the last few days I watched the whole series again and for the first time ever, the original season 4. A few years ago I tried the same but stopped at episode 3 season 4 because it was so different and I didn't wanted that, but now where I finally saw it I have to admit.....

My god, it was great, I, I loved it and, I can't believe I say this but, it's maybe even my favorite season now.
You have to get into it in the first episodes but very very quickly the gears begin to connect and you start to understand several connections and the more you watch the more things get connected to each other and it gets crazier and crazier while you still see more than enough Bluth members in single episodes on one screen, more than I would have thought at least. Also, so much shit happens in this season, it's stuffed like the 3 seasons before but just in one, fantastic. Wow, I would've never guessed that I actually like it so much, now I'm really curious how the remix should make anything better.

I'm not 100% satisfied tho, the end was kinda aprubt and I don't know if I understood what the big conclusion was of this season, maybe that's where the big critique lies, but other than that, it was great.

Now where I see it, that video from GMA reminded on something, what happened to Lucille 2? Have I missed something in Season 4 or did that never got revealed?

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Reviews are mixed, but as someone who loved Season 4 I'm absolutely binge watching this.

Now where I see it, that video from GMA reminded on something, what happened to Lucille 2? Have I missed something in Season 4 or did that never got revealed?

Will be revealed in Season 5

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Really looking forward to this, had a particularly stressful month and this'll be a nice treat to cap it off.

Lotto

Oct 28, 2017
Earth
Enjoying Season 4 much more since it's been remixed, but I didn't even think it was that bad to begin with. This show is so good, can't wait.

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
Wow, I didn't expect to see reviews out so soon, especially since we've only known it when it was coming for a few weeks!

It sounds pretty good based on the early reception, without setting unrealistically high expectations, but I'm wary of reading much because of spoilers. I liked the remixed season 4 (and honestly didn't hate the original as much as most) so I'm looking forward to this and I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy it.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
Dammit, this is all happening so fast. I'm only on episode 5 of the remix and now I really wanna finish that before jumping into the new season.
(I've watched the original fourth season but don't wanna miss out on any new jokes and stuff)

HP_Wuvcraft

Oct 26, 2017
South of San Francisco

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I'm wondering if it's a worldwide launch cause the recut for season 4 isn't available everywhere

Oct 27, 2017
I've rewatched all of S1 - 3 recently, but I still don't like S4, even as the remix. Although I'm only 4 episodes in so I should keep going and see if it clicks for me.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Just finished the Remix and started the series new with someone who hasn't seen it before.

Fantastic timing! Hopefully it all leads to a conclusive end without too many cliffhangers.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't sound bad! It's clear that it's not ever going to be as good as seasons 1 and 2 (not a BIG fan of 3, it's great, but still the weakest of the original run, I think the remix of 4 is on par with 3), but I'm just happy I can spend more time with Arrested Development. Best show.

Is it the whole season or will it get split in two parts?

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
Why in the world are they putting this out on a Tuesday when it's a three day weekend good lord.

SideMatt

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Excited for this, but I hope it's not as plot focused as S4. I enjoyed the remix a lot more than I expected to in comparison to the original cut which I mostly disliked, but I still feel like a step away from the mostly episodic adventures was a mistake.

Layell

One Winged Slayer
Apr 16, 2018
giphy.gif

I've just introduced my gf to the show. We've just started the season 4 remix. We'll wrap up that right as this is ready to go.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Part of the humor from AD comes From rewatching it. I think it's hard to give it a fair shake with only one viewing. So many jokes open up upon multiple viewings. I'd say season 4 benefited the most from a rewatch. The remix is great because it helps makes connections, but it's not a substitute just something different. I think watching both versions is a good idea.