• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
First of all, from the technical point of view, it's a disaster. Season 5 simply looks absurdly cheap. It's badly lit which is the main culprit for it's cheap look. Direction and editing are really boring, there is absolutely nothing imaginative about it (compare it to earlier seasons, direction and editing of first 3 seasons was really good for a comedy show and often supplemented the joke, now that's completely gone). Compositing is just bad and makes the rampant use of green screen very obvious (that one was a problem in season 4 too, but you'd think they would improve 5 years later).

Yeah, this was really bad.

The director for every episode for this season is a guy named Troy Miller. He directed the Dumb and Dumber prequel, a Michael Keaton kids movie called Jack Frost in the 90s, and a shit ton of standup specials. (To be fair, he also directed some quality comedy TV like Mr Show and The Ben Stiller Show).

In comparison to the first seasons, where we had the likes of Patty Jenkins, Anthony and Joe Russo, Greg Mottola, and Paul Feig among others behind the camera, this is a major step down that is reflected on screen.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
For some reason, I was thinking the reception to Season 5 was positive, like a step up from mixed bag Season 4. But I kept wondering, "Why isn't this doing anything for me?" while watching it. Thought I was going crazy. But it sounds like a lot of other people are down on it too.

I don't even think it's a mixed bag. Season 5 has been straight-up bad so far. It's like they're just moving around deck chairs at this point, trying to find a plot. Just moving characters around, pairing them with random different people, sending people to Mexico for whatever reason. Arrested Development was always a little like this... A lot of the fun was just how convoluted everything would get with its callbacks. But they would always seem to escalate into this big explosion, this big climax where all the plot elements run into each other. This season puts Michael, George Sr, George Michael, and their lawyer all following each other to Mexico... Only for, like, nothing interesting actually happening. They just see each other, explain stuff, and follow George Michael back.

Then you have poor David Cross desperately trying to find something to do now that his character's wife is out of the picture, or George Michael basically stuck in Rebel Alley limbo. There's weirdly little movement... They're just all kinda frozen in place spinning in circles. Did you guys hear that George Sr. was doing estrogen? It's especially weird how aimless it is, given that they basically handed us a Season 5 plot with the "Who Killed Lucille 2?" thing. I kind of like the humor of downplaying it in a weird way like it doesn't matter. But the stuff they're doing instead is so boring and aimless, I kind of only care about finding out what happened with Lucille 2. She's probably either going to be alive, or someone like Sally Sitwell killed her.

Easily the biggest highlight has been Alia Shawkat, who was actually given a funny scenario to do something with. I'm not even sure exactly what the point of her story is, but her performance is just so funny and offbeat. G.O.B.'s story has been decent, I guess, also. It just lacks the energy we got from his past escapades.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
so, this was half a season, right?

I really struggled to care. Lindsay may as well have been green screened in. I know she retired, but this is super half assed.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Hotel room? Do you mean the promo shoot where she was sat miles away from the cast?

The only scene I think she was actually there for was with Jeffrey Tambor in the bar.

No, when they are in the.... condo, I guess. Not hotel. When they are all there together.

I know she retired, but if she said she's still up for acting in AD, I don't know whey she wouldn't just be there on the same days they are. Weird.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
This season stinks. Even worse that Season 4. The only hope of salvaging is to cut everyone out and focus on Maeby in some weird spinoff.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
This season stinks. Even worse that Season 4. The only hope of salvaging is to cut everyone out and focus on Maeby in some weird spinoff.

I'm with you. I'm trying to think of any true funny. Buster is pretty decent. The Job gay stuff is not funny and not interesting, which is really taking me out of the season.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
No, when they are in the.... condo, I guess. Not hotel. When they are all there together.

I know she retired, but if she said she's still up for acting in AD, I don't know whey she wouldn't just be there on the same days they are. Weird.

I cannot for the life of me think of the scene you're talking about.

There's the one where they're in Lucille 2's apartment shooting the promo stuff, then there's a couple of scenes where Lindsay interacts with Lucille in the beach house (she's obviously green screened in these).

Do you remember which episode it was? I'm kinda interested now.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I cannot for the life of me think of the scene you're talking about.

There's the one where they're in Lucille 2's apartment shooting the promo stuff, then there's a couple of scenes where Lindsay interacts with Lucille in the beach house (she's obviously green screened in these).

Do you remember which episode it was? I'm kinda interested now.

Everyone gets Atrophy.

I guess you're right. Seems like the back of a double must be in the room. Very weird, and kinda insulting that she couldn't bother to show up with the rest of the cast for a little while.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How am I just now figuring out there was a four year gap between seasons four and five?

There wasn't. They've retconned season 4 to take place over an additional three years. Season four now ends on Cinco de Quatro 2015 and season five begins shortly afterward. But they did a really bad job establishing this.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Why are they making everything so complicated? Every little scene requires like six flashbacks and tie-ins with every other plot thread. Is this what the show runners think made the original run funny/cult popular?

This was so overwhelmingly boring I had to stop after a few episodes.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
There wasn't. They've retconned season 4 to take place over an additional three years. Season four now ends on Cinco de Quatro 2015 and season five begins shortly afterward. But they did a really bad job establishing this.
Wait, so season 4 didn't take place over years originally? Is this way it just feels like it took place over, at the most, a month or two and then randomly it's years later?

Oct 26, 2017
Why are they making everything so complicated? Every little scene requires like six flashbacks and tie-ins with every other plot thread. Is this what the show runners think made the original run funny/cult popular?

This was so overwhelmingly boring I had to stop after a few episodes.

Its like a monkey's paw fulfilment of hearing that people found new jokes with rewatches

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this was really bad.

The director for every episode for this season is a guy named Troy Miller. He directed the Dumb and Dumber prequel, a Michael Keaton kids movie called Jack Frost in the 90s, and a shit ton of standup specials. (To be fair, he also directed some quality comedy TV like Mr Show and The Ben Stiller Show).

In comparison to the first seasons, where we had the likes of Patty Jenkins, Anthony and Joe Russo, Greg Mottola, and Paul Feig among others behind the camera, this is a major step down that is reflected on screen.
I caught up on Brooklynn Nine Nine and Last Man on Earth recently and it's shocking how much better those shows look than AD does now. AD used to be one of the most visually interesting and witty half hours on TV, but now it's just flat and lifeless.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, so season 4 didn't take place over years originally? Is this way it just feels like it took place over, at the most, a month or two and then randomly it's years later?

Seasons 1-3 took place in real time from 2003-2006. Season 4 took place over the following seven years, from 2006 (end of season 3) to May 2013 (Cinco de Quatro). You have to sort of do the math to figure out that it's been seven years.

However, in season 5 it's established that A) only two months have passed since season 4 and B) season 5 is taking place in the summer of 2015 (Trump's campaign, etc). So they apparently retconned season 4 to last an additional couple years.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Seasons 1-3 took place in real time from 2003-2006. Season 4 took place over the following seven years, from 2006 (end of season 3) to May 2013 (Cinco de Quatro). You have to sort of do the math to figure out that it's been seven years.

However, in season 5 it's established that A) only two months have passed since season 4 and B) season 5 is taking place in the summer of 2015 (Trump's campaign, etc). So they apparently retconned season 4 to last an additional couple years.
They did such an amazingly bad job at this in season 4. Like, it's genuinely the most confusing timeline in any piece of media that I've watched.

There was an episode where it starts at point Z, it goes to point A and then it ends at point Z again. It was...very odd.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They did such an amazingly bad job at this in season 4. Like, it's genuinely the most confusing timeline in any piece of media that I've watched.

There was an episode where it starts at point Z, it goes to point A and then it ends at point Z again. It was...very odd.

I enjoyed Season 4, and bits and pieces of 5, but yeah, the timeline is a fucking mess right now. Not only they seem to be jumping back and forth between 2013 and 2015, but some actors aging so visibly doesn't help at all either. This is supposed to be a comedy show, not Westworld or Lost. It's supposed to be an easy to follow product, not some mystery box that I need to slowly unravel piece by piece. Half the time it's unclear when the scenes are, which is incredibly poor. What made the first seasons work so well is that everything seemed so perfectly planned. That throwaway joke at the start of the episode? It was actually going to be a relevant point at the end of the episode. That side character's shenanigans? They will actually matter a lot in a few episodes when shit goes down. Everything felt meticulously planned and calculated. Now you don't even know when things are.

Nov 2, 2017
Arrested Development's writing has always been fairly complexed; just not in this way. Just seems like this is a symptom of not having access to the cast like they did the first 3 seasons.

Jun 1, 2018
The showrunner admitted that he wasnt even on set most of the time... BECAUSE he was preparing and changing scripts... I keep wondering: He had years of time to prepare this season yet couldnt even finish it until filming began?

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
The showrunner admitted that he wasnt even on set most of the time... BECAUSE he was preparing and changing scripts... I keep wondering: He had years of time to prepare this season yet couldnt even finish it until filming began?

Mitch's heart clearly isn't in it anymore.

I'm guessing right after Season 4 he said he'd only do Season 5 if a hole opened up in everyone's schedules. He probably didn't think that would ever happen so he never prepared for it.

When a hole DID appear in 2017, he was caught off guard and had to scramble to write a season with the scheduling restrictions in mind. Even still, he didn't have the energy to produce something great and sort of half phoned it in out of commitment.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom

iirc Portia quitting acting suddenly also sounded like it threw things in a loop a bit. She told him she was done with acting yet he still had to write her into a handful of episodes.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just finished and this was pretty much on par with S4 for me. Just didn't really do a lot for me. Idk the charm is gone.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, this was the worst season so far. I even liked the Season 4 Remix much more. This was the first time for me with AD that I had to force myself to finish watching. Don't think I'll even watch the second half.

Well, the first three seasons are still classics that I'll rewatch every few years.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I just binge rewatched the first three seasons and the quality gulf between those and season 5 is so massive, it's hard to believe the same people are behind it.

Bacon

Oct 26, 2017
I just binge rewatched the first three seasons and the quality gulf between those and season 5 is so massive, it's hard to believe the same people are behind it.

I did the same thing. After watching S5 I was worried that I was going crazy and maybe the show wasn't as good as I remembered, but no, S 1-3 are as good as ever. It really is just baffling how far the quality has dipped.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I also came from a binge. S4 felt good enough despite having eternal recaps (the remix version - I wanted to watch that too for the first time since I was jumping into 5 soon), and well, the difference was glaring. I wouldn't say I hated S5, it had fun moments, but it felt like 8 episodes leading up to an incredible punchline that never really arrived. I know it's half season, but still, it feels like they solved nothing, and in an attempt to build something up they failed to deliver quality interaction-based jokes. There were good moments where I laughed, but I can't think of any 5 minutes in S1-3 where I didn't laugh, here there were entire episodes where I wouldn't say I didn't enjoy my time, but at the same time I don't think there was a simple joke where I legit laughed.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I'm making my way through 5 right now and honestly, aside from a few boring bits, the wordplay and running jokes are as fresh as ever. I think the lack of a clear plot does hurt it though, as they're just being really stupid in their own arcs while some Buster and Lucille 2 plot occurs in the background.

There was one throwback joke where Gob brought up "Gobeads" and Tobias tried to get in on it and Gob rebuked him, ending with "why don't you saaaah-" and just stared like his brain died, and Michael went "...ohp, well, today's the day." I can't remember if this is itself a throwback but it's so random that I can't stop laughing at it.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm making my way through 5 right now and honestly, aside from a few boring bits, the wordplay and running jokes are as fresh as ever. I think the lack of a clear plot does hurt it though, as they're just being really stupid in their own arcs while some Buster and Lucille 2 plot occurs in the background.

There was one throwback joke where Gob brought up "Gobeads" and Tobias tried to get in on it and Gob rebuked him, ending with "why don't you saaaah-" and just stared like his brain died, and Michael went "...ohp, well, today's the day." I can't remember if this is itself a throwback but it's so random that I can't stop laughing at it.

Yeah, that was a good one actually, easily one of the highlights. But 8 episodes in it really feels the story is going nowhere, which is not necessarily a tragedy for a show like this, but it makes things less impactful when no joke or scene has a real follow-up.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
So ERA, I started watching season 4 now, and after 2 episodes I'm lost. I don't understand what's going on most of the time.

Should I just watch the rekix instead?

Deleted member 18502

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So ERA, I started watching season 4 now, and after 2 episodes I'm lost. I don't understand what's going on most of the time.

I don't know that it makes much of a difference tbh. Either way it will make you long for the beauty of seasons 1-3. S4 is inconsistent and confusing.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017

If I'm being totally honest you should just watch a better show. Just pretend AD ended after season 3. I wish I had.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I Iike all of Aressted Development. Season 4 (the original) might actually be my favorite. It's kind of hard to judge Season 5 as they made the silly choice to split it in 2, but I've enjoyed what I've seen.

I remember people decrying drops in quality with every subsequent season released. Season 3 specifically people feeling the show was put out of its misery. But I don't care, I like the show. I always enjoy a rewatch of the complete series. Every time I find new jokes and weird call forwards or call backs. It's great seeing the Bluths and how they've changed over years. I'll be happy if they keep revisiting them.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
I watched the season 4 remix before watching season 5 and I don't think it really helped make the show any funnier (or even easier to follow). I won't bother watching anymore, and if it ends up on the TV as something to put on while my wife and I have dinner then I'll quickly end up doing something else. The show is uncomfortably unfunny. It's a shame since I like a lot of the cast and know they're capable of more.

Least favorite stuff would be Ron Howard stuff, Michael stuff, Tobias stuff.

Passable stuff would maybe be Buster?

Nov 2, 2017
Soo... do we know what's happening with the second half of this or what?

Thinking about cancelling my Netflix sub, because this is probably the only thing I care about on the streaming service, but there hasn't a been a freaking peep about the follow up to this season. Is it even still happening?

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Thinking about cancelling my Netflix sub, because this is probably the only thing I care about on the streaming service

That's amazing. I just went through my Netflix list for originals, and I watch these. I can't believe you can only find one show on Netflix that you like.

Ozark
Orange is the New Black
GLOW
Dark
MST3K
Bill Nye Saves the World
Dear White People
Black Mirror
Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee
Arrested Development
American Vandal
Mindhunter
Easy
Big Mouth
My Next Guest Needs No Introduction...
The Toys That Made Us
The End of the F***ing World
Jessica Jones
Castlevania
Friends From College
Stranger Things
W/Bob & David
Santa Clarita Diet
Master of None
Disenchanted

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Soo... do we know what's happening with the second half of this or what?

Thinking about cancelling my Netflix sub, because this is probably the only thing I care about on the streaming service, but there hasn't a been a freaking peep about the follow up to this season. Is it even still happening?

I mean it was already filmed so despite how cancel-happy Netflix can be, they definitely aren't gonna pass up on releasing Content. But knowing how they are it might be next year before we see it.

Nov 2, 2017
That's amazing. I just went through my Netflix list for originals, and I watch these. I can't believe you can only find one show on Netflix that you like.

Ozark
Orange is the New Black
GLOW
Dark
MST3K
Bill Nye Saves the World
Dear White People
Black Mirror
Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee
Arrested Development
American Vandal
Mindhunter
Easy
Big Mouth
My Next Guest Needs No Introduction...
The Toys That Made Us
The End of the F***ing World
Jessica Jones
Castlevania
Friends From College
Stranger Things
W/Bob & David
Santa Clarita Diet
Master of None
Disenchanted

I really just don't watch much television. That wasn't an indictment against Netflix. No need to raise your hackles and build a defense force.