• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
He's the best part of S4. I wish we saw more of Gob in the trailer.
r6b4jMJ.gif

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I wonder if Liza Minnelli was able to film anything for this season. I also wonder if Ben Stiller and Christine Taylor will appear together again after their split.

Nose Master

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if there's a thread on is specifically, but how is the s4 recut?

EDIT: I forgot how bad the greenscreening was in this. Was Winkler ever actually on set with anyone?

Last edited:

beelzebozo

Oct 26, 2017
wow, this looks great.

lindsay also looks like lindsay again, or maybe my eyes are fucking with me.

Oct 26, 2017
Kind of bummed that the style of lighting/"look" of season 4 continues here, but maybe that's just my brain trying to reconcile that everyone's getting old

Bananastand

Oct 26, 2017
So, any predictions on plot lines? Looking at the trailer it looks like Tobias is trying to imitate different members of the family? Lindsey is running for government and there is a family of the year election?

The trailer looks good but I wish I had some more information. Like, how many episode are there? And what about the whole Lucille 2 thing?

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Started watching the Season 4 remix and it's so weird because I'm having a hard time remmebering what the old version was like. My brain is looking for inconsistencies that it doesn't know exist.

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.slashfilm.com/arrested-development-season-4-remix-cast-pay/

I agree with Fox. They were paid for their work and agreed to the terms. Fox is free to do what they want with it.
You would need to see the contract to draw any conclusions, no?

Started watching the Season 4 remix and it's so weird because I'm having a hard time remmebering what the old version was like. My brain is looking for inconsistencies that it doesn't know exist.
Same. What I'm sure of: there is a ton of retreading as filler to get each episode to 22 minutes. Presented under the auspice of reminding the viewer of key plot lines, but it's mostly just repetitive

War Peaceman

Oct 28, 2017
Rewatching season 4 in preparation for this and I just realised that CW Swapigans (the barter restaurant) is owned by Carl Weathers. Fuck.

Also there's something unfinished about DeBrie - she's described as a 61yr old male by the doctor, Marky Bark mentions being unable to tell the gender difference in someone he previously dated and Tobias has the whole 'is that a gal I see? No it's a fallacy' joke that doesn't have a payoff...

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
It's insane how well Season 4 holds up with this new recut. Immigration, The Wall, Superhero films etc it all eludes to today's events.

Yeah, I've marathoned through the remix this weekend (a few episodes to go) and feel the same way. The remix in general is just really good.

Can't wait until Season 5 is out.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Same. What I'm sure of: there is a ton of retreading as filler to get each episode to 22 minutes. Presented under the auspice of reminding the viewer of key plot lines, but it's mostly just repetitive

This Remix was created for syndication purposes. So these episodes would not be made to binge, but to be watched randomly and/or consecutively over many days. So for that reason, they need to re-establish plot lines. The remix is a Frankenstein's monster made from extra long episodes focused largely on one character so there really is no way to cram 3-4 episodes plotlines into 22 minutes. They've already cut out, re-contextualized, or reduced a jokes length in just about every episode so they could make 22 minute version. None of these Remix episodes work as standalone pieces, unlike the original 4 seasons.

Oct 25, 2017
This Remix was created for syndication purposes. So these episodes would not be made to binge, but to be watched randomly and/or consecutively over many days. So for that reason, they need to re-establish plot lines. The remix is a Frankenstein's monster made from extra long episodes focused largely on one character so there really is no way to cram 3-4 episodes plotlines into 22 minutes. They've already cut out, re-contextualized, or reduced a jokes length in just about every episode so they could make 22 minute version. None of these Remix episodes work as standalone pieces, unlike the original 4 seasons.
Only in some cases. Often they are retreading three times within two or three episodes. It's filler. It's not too distracting, at least.

Also I'm guessing Howard did more narration for the recut, yeah? There seems to be more to help stitch together the storylines, but I can't really remember how it originally was

Oct 26, 2017
Only in some cases. Often they are retreading three times within two or three episodes. It's filler. It's not too distracting, at least.

Also I'm guessing Howard did more narration for the recut, yeah? There seems to be more to help stitch together the storylines, but I can't really remember how it originally was

Yeah there's a bunch of new narration to better connect the multiple-character focus of the edit. I do wish they would lean a bit less heavily on the narrator/character saying the same thing at the same time gag, it gets a lot muddier and harder to understand what either person is saying more often than in the older seasons.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
whats with tobias red mustache? lol

He's imitating Michael who doesn't have a mustache, so instead of shaving his...

So, will we see a payoff to the George changing gender stuff, or won't they do it now with Transparent having aired in between?

Will Tobias finally be outed as a black albino?

Will this season end without a cliffhanger?

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017

The 2-3 times are to account for commercial breaks, similar to the original 3 seasons. There's always a certain amount of refocusing on network television after commercial breaks. This editing of the stories to be parallel also cause some retreading as there is no clean way make it all work together. It was never designed that way. They often have to double back to setup moments properly. This wasn't uncommon in the original 3 seasons, but it happens a lot when characters are sharing a location but not directly interacting.

Howard did a ton of new narration. Plenty of new jokes solely from his narration, often to cut jokes in the original down for time. And pretty much any parallel stories cut from across the original episodes are stitched with new narration.

I've been rewatching episodes of the original as I watch this remix and it is really fascinating what Hurwitz did here. I can't say one is more essential than the other, they both should be watched. The remix can be really handy for making connections you might miss in the original. It's sort of AD season 4 for Dummies.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
S4 remix has way too much of 'explain a joke that was in a previous episode while showing a lot of the footage from the old episode'. it's kind of annoying. but so far infinitely funnier in the long run than the original cut of S4 was.

zou

Oct 29, 2017
lol, I was rewatching S2 and I just got the volvo joke (after the stock upgrade to don't buy)

Last edited:

Paradox

Oct 28, 2017
It's insane how well Season 4 holds up with this new recut. Immigration, The Wall, Superhero films etc it all eludes to today's events.

When they started talking about a wall between Mexico and a 'maca' plant that often sounds like they're pronouncing with a 'g' rather than a 'c' I thought I was hearing things. I had to double check when S4 originally came out (and then got sad thinking how Trump was barely a thing at that point)

HP_Wuvcraft

Oct 26, 2017
South of San Francisco
So, any predictions on plot lines? Looking at the trailer it looks like Tobias is trying to imitate different members of the family? Lindsey is running for government and there is a family of the year election?

The trailer looks good but I wish I had some more information. Like, how many episode are there? And what about the whole Lucille 2 thing?
I hope they don't get rid of the murder mystery plot too quickly.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
I feel dumb for missing this before, but I just noticed Maggie had a cornballer:

cHlq0aY.jpg

Fortinbras

Oct 27, 2017
Portia di Rossi quit acting.

"I made this decision about 18 months ago. Shonda Rhimes wrote me off Scandal," she recalled to her partner of 10 years. "I called [Arrested Development creator] Mitch Hurwitz…and I said if there is a Season 5, I wont be doing it because I quit acting and he seemed really understanding and he totally got it. We had a great conversation and then he wrote me into five episodes. Don't know how it happened, but yes I am on Season 5."
https://www.eonline.com/news/935766/portia-de-rossi-explains-to-ellen-degeneres-why-she-quit-acting

tucah

Oct 25, 2017
It's also mentioned in that interview that only the first 8 episodes of the season are out on the 29th.