• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

One patient has died and another became seriously ill after fecal transplants inadvertently seeded their innards with a multi-drug resistant bacterial infection, the Food and Drug Administration warned Thursday.

The cases highlight the grave risks of what some consider a relatively safe procedure. They also call attention to the mucky issues of federal oversight for the experimental transplants, which the FDA has struggled to regulate. In its warning Thursday, the agency announced new protections for trials and experimental uses of the procedure.

The FDA shared minimal details from the deadly transplants. Its warning only noted that the cases involved two patients who were immunocompromised prior to the experimental transplants and received stool from the same donor. Subsequent to the transplant, the patients developed invasive infections from an E. coli strain that was resistant to a wide variety of antibiotics in the penicillin and cephalosporin groups. The E. coli strain carried a drug-defeating enzyme called an extended-spectrum beta-lactamase(ESBL), which generally cleaves a ring common to all the chemical structures of those antibiotics. When unnamed researchers who administered the transplant looked back at the donor stool, they found that the stool contained an identical ESBL-producing E. coli.

One of the patients died and the fate of the other was not discussed. The agency also did not say how or why the patients were immunocompromised prior to the transplants, what the transplants were attempting to accomplish, how they were carried out, who conducted the transplants, or when they occurred.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
User warned: inappropriate joke
Poop transplant?! Why is this even a thing? Shitty way to go out.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is why you always get premium sourced poop.

Carefully curated.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Poop is supposed to leave the body for a reason. Now if you're transplanting stomach microbes? That's a better idea, but there are better ways to reinvigorate your gut bacteria.

Edit* I guess these peeps needed this procedure done quickly so I guess it makes more sense.

signal

Oct 28, 2017

Generally, fecal transplants (aka fecal microbiota for transplantation or FMTs) are intended to replace or replenish the microbial communities that thrive in the intestinal tract. Those microbial communities are thought to influence a variety of health factors, like breaking down food, cycling hormones, modulating immune responses, and protecting against hostile invaders. But these microbial communities can be beaten down or thrown out of a healthy balance (a condition called dysbiosis) by disturbances like potent antibiotic treatments or particularly tenacious pathogens.

Researchers hypothesize that microbe-laden stool from healthy donors can restore the equilibrium and beneficial functions of the microbiome in some patients, possibly by a wholesale repopulation of the gut microbiota or by boosting microbial diversity. Studies have indicated that this is the case for those with intractable intestinal infections caused by diarrhea-causing Clostridium difficile bacteria. Some trials have indicated that FMTs can cure 80% to 90% of these infections, though it's still unclear how exactly they work. FMT-based treatments for other conditions, such as obesity, cancers, or immune disorders, are still hypothetical.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
This sounds like a procedure invented by 7 year old boys during recess.

"What if you had a disease and the only way to help was to put someone else's poo up you're butt would you do it lmao"

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Poop is supposed to leave the body for a reason. Now if you're transplanting stomach microbes? That's a better idea, but there are better ways to reinvigorate your gut bacteria.

Edit* I guess these peeps needed this procedure done quickly so I guess it makes more sense.

What better ways? As someone in medicine this procedure has been pretty awesome to treat c diff. Pretty sure these patients were immunocompromised and got a drug resistant bacteria. The procedure needs some guidelines but it isnt going away just because of one death.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Its warning only noted that the cases involved two patients who were immunocompromised prior to the experimental transplants and received stool from the same donor.

They should really screen their donor poop more thoroughly. Sticking a nasty strain of e.coli into an already compromised patient seems like a terrible idea.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a fascinating field of research, as bacteria in your gut can have an impact on all aspects of your life, your mood, what you want to eat and when, potentially your sleep... Poop transplant has the potential of solving a huge amount of health issues in a relatively safe and easy way.
However, it's still at a very experimental (even theoretical) stage, and the paragraph in the article about the struggle the FDA faces to regulate all this highlight how difficult this field is.

Let's hope the other patient manages to recover.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Why are people mocking a medical procedure and a death of all things by calling it a "poop" transplant?

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Between this, shoving jade eggs up your vagina, and bee venom therapy, I'm starting to wonder if we have too much time on our hands

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Lol. Imagine coming up with some random medical idea and thinking it's a better way. Awesome.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this thread would have gone in a different direction if we'd called it a fecal microbiota transplant.

Deleted member 4262

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol I see we're already getting dumb comparisons to jade eggs huh. This procedure is legit and has incredibly broad potential in medicine.

CopyOfACopy

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Inappropriate Joke
youd be surprised the amount of helpful things that a mother passes to their child during birth, when they poop that kid out

smellyjelly

Avenger
Aug 2, 2018
Between this, shoving jade eggs up your vagina, and bee venom therapy, I'm starting to wonder if we have too much time on our hands

Chemo or radiation can destroy your gut flora and leave you unable to digest foods properly. A fecal transplant re-seeds your digestive tract with vital bacteria.

Generally, fecal transplants (aka fecal microbiota for transplantation or FMTs) are intended to replace or replenish the microbial communities that thrive in the intestinal tract. Those microbial communities are thought to influence a variety of health factors, like breaking down food, cycling hormones, modulating immune responses, and protecting against hostile invaders. But these microbial communities can be beaten down or thrown out of a healthy balance (a condition called dysbiosis) by disturbances like potent antibiotic treatments or particularly tenacious pathogens.

Researchers hypothesize that microbe-laden stool from healthy donors can restore the equilibrium and beneficial functions of the microbiome in some patients, possibly by a wholesale repopulation of the gut microbiota or by boosting microbial diversity. Studies have indicated that this is the case for those with intractable intestinal infections caused by diarrhea-causing Clostridium difficile bacteria. Some trials have indicated that FMTs can cure 80% to 90% of these infections, though it's still unclear how exactly they work. FMT-based treatments for other conditions, such as obesity, cancers, or immune disorders, are still hypothetical.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People seriously making poop jokes after someone died from a medical procedure likely in a very terrible way? What in the absolute fuck?

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
It amazes me that people here don't know about poop transplant, or who don't understand how it can be useful.

Antibiotic-resistant bacteria are a real problem, and it's only going to get worse.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I was considering a FMT for weight loss but this article is certainly scary. Still, if this is the first death then it may still be safer than liposuction (My second option)

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, wow, they really should've screened their donors better. Goes to show you should still be extra careful even with supposedly safe procedures.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I would have thought before doing the transfer wouldn't they look at what they were about to give to two people before doing so? Make sure it's safe and nothing that shouldn't be there isn't. Seems like something they could have checked for before implanting it.

itwasTuesday

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I'm glad you cleared your throat so your lame ass joke could come through loud and clear
Have you read the article? It's filled with puns.

I'm sure any new patient for this procedure also as a chuckle.
In my experience when fecal matter is discussed in hospitals the conversation can get light hearted pretty quick.

My joke about terminology was not aimed to make light on a dead and seriously ill person.

I still can feel empathy for them.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Scientists and licensed medical professionals: This procedure can save or improve the lives of thousands who have had their gut flora destroyed by radiation or other drastic but necessary treatments.

Era: lolol poop is gross your a idiot

Seriously what the fuck is wrong with you people.

Conmex

Banned
May 19, 2018
Chemo or radiation can destroy your gut flora and leave you unable to digest foods properly. A fecal transplant re-seeds your digestive tract with vital bacteria.
Not just chemo or radiation. Antibiotics and acid blockers fucking destroyed my gut and digestion in general. I was hospitalized and bedridden for months.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This sounds like a procedure invented by 7 year old boys during recess.

"What if you had a disease and the only way to help was to put someone else's poo up you're butt would you do it lmao"

These fn posts are ridiculous.

These are real procedures that are saving lives. Not some joke.

Maybe you should spend your time educating yourself.

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe don't stick ecoli up the butt of your patient with an already compromised immune system
gotta screen that poop better

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I'm not going to laugh at a procedure that can save cancer patients, but you do you, jokers in this thread. Classy stuff.

How can one be so ignorant, yet so confident in their broadcast of such ignorance? Boggles the mind.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Oh, brother at the jokes lol.

This is a legit procedure.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Inappropriate Joke
x8Lyfex.gif

Deleted member 15311

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At first i thought this was some kind of joke but reading more about it, it's an important procedure and i never thought this could be done. I always thought it could only be done by medication. It's terrible that people have to undergo cancer treatments and on top of it, need something like this.

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
Wtf @ not rigorously testing the biome of the feces they were moving into the patient's system. Should be common-sense (just like any other transplant-type procedure).