• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Obs: They are praising the Ps4's performance
Context:
if you actually read the context, he gave his reasoning and is basically praising the PS4.
Fig. 3: Comparing console sales to games sold across multiple platforms is inherently unfair. At the same time, only the very best-selling games of all time even compete with the PS4's sales pace and level these days.

I think the charts deserve its own thread. We went full circle now

Here at Ars, we haven't been putting a lot of regular time and effort lately into updating Ars readers on the continuing sales battle between Sony's PlayStation 4 and Microsoft's Xbox One. It has been abundantly clear for a while now that Sony's system is heavily outpacing Microsoft's in worldwide sales. In fact, the PS4 is also still outselling the Nintendo Switch on an annual basis despite being many years older.

Don't read too much on me if old

Last edited:

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't "context" also entail taking population size into account? There are way more people alive than during the PS1 or PS2 era, although I'm not sure where those consoles released and whether those countries' populations grew or not.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
the only graph that puts it into context is the first one

the others are "what the fuck are you doing with your graphs"

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
forgot one

console-wars-q3-201512z92.jpeg

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Some of these charts are dumb.

Also, wait, Pokemon Go got 100m active users the first month lol dayum.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Reads like one of my students who just vomited a bunch of shit and irrelevant graphs all over their report.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
What the heck was this even based on? Kinect boosting XB1 sales again or something? It already came with the box.

They just liked Xbox I guess lol?

There were a bunch of American outlets who were very invested in Xbox as the de facto console and they were having a hard time reconciling the early performance of the system with their investment. There were a variety of tea leaf readings, ranging from "the PS4 selling fast is actually a bad thing" to "the second hidden GPU in the Xbox will get activated!"

It's been interesting to see the tides turn for those outlets as it became clear(it was already clear to many) that the PS4 was going to remain strong. Let's hope that people don't lose their heads again next gen launch, no matter who the "winner" is.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
I honestly feel like I came out of this with less than going in just looking at those graphs.

MisterB_66

Oct 27, 2017
There were a bunch of American outlets who were very invested in Xbox as the de facto console and they were having a hard time reconciling the early performance of the system with their investment. There were a variety of tea leaf readings, ranging from "the PS4 selling fast is actually a bad thing" to "the second hidden GPU in the Xbox will get activated!"

It's been interesting to see the tides turn for those outlets as it became clear(it was already clear to many) that the PS4 was going to remain strong. Let's hope that people don't lose their heads again next gen launch, no matter who the "winner" is.

When the entire games media were getting free 360s literally every year at e3 its not surprising they were all in on XBOX One at the start of the generation.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Shrug, I think it's interesting OP. Not particularly useful, but interesting nonetheless.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Weird thread reaction. Sometimes it's simply interesting to see how different classes of devices and services perform relative to each other.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Weird thread reaction. Sometimes it's simply interesting to see how different classes of devices and services perform relative to each other.

it's funny to see coming from the same author who kept writing article after article about how the PS4 was doomed at launch and how the early success of the PS4 was a bad thing and whatnot.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
what's up with comparing the PS4's 'months to 100mil' with other stuff that are not video games console?

It's like me bringing home a score of 80/100 for math and my mum is not satisfied, saying: "You gotta do better, son. Our neighbour's boy scored 90/100 for Latin."

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ

It's been interesting to see the tides turn for those outlets as it became clear(it was already clear to many) that the PS4 was going to remaining strong. Let's hope that people don't lose their heads again next gen launch, no matter who the "winner" is.
is Xbox really really good at swag or something for these outlets or give better support? I don't understand the mindset of being so gung-ho on Xbox. It's not like Apple who is adored by millions of fans because of their consumer products and image. I mean MS is the back end of the workplace and desktop lol, not exactly glamorous. Is it just something as trivial as PS = Japan Xbox = American so "I'm gonna go with 'Murica"?