• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
See threadmarks for major updates

Article by ResetEra's own samred

XCZwzkz.png

Valve Corporation's long-rumored VR headset is finally real. After allying with HTC to launch the Vive as a SteamVR product in 2016, Valve has moved ahead with plans to launch its own headset, the Valve Index, in "May 2019."

Valve's dedicated website for the new device includes no other information than the above image and the date "May 2019." It does not include any mention of the new SteamVR Knuckles controllers, which Valve has advertised pretty heavily via developer outreach since their 2016 reveal and a later series of improved prototypes in 2018. This page also doesn't mention a series of three Valve-produced VR games that have been repeatedly advertised by Valve co-founder Gabe Newell since 2017.

More at the source: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019...ers-brand-new-vr-headset-slated-for-may-2019/

Last edited:

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
And for visibility sake, the Steam website link is right here.

At first I thought it was internal tracking cameras, but I realize the size & positioning is probably just for view-through or whatever you call it.

So, maybe Lighthouse tracking? Honestly if it is a sizable upgrade and for a semi-reasonable price I may jump in (jumping from Oculus Rift).

shoyz

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Assuming that the Knuckles and Valve's VR games are packed in/coming at the same time, hype!

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
give details asap please

I think it's a safe bet this is still using Lighthouse and the visible cameras are just passthrough/AR business.

Deleted member 4970

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, well, well! Just sold my Oculus CV1 and was dead set on getting the Oculus S, but I think I'm going to wait and see what this is!

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Depending on the tech, this could be really interesting. Without having to worry about HTC's bottom line, I also wonder if they'd be more willing to subsidize part of the cost ala consoles. We're entering the stage where the VR players are finally going to start pushing for the average person I feel. Gen 1 was for enthusiasts, gen 2 is going to push for the home.

I'm ready for more VR, baby.

I'm not quite ready to fork out money for a new VR system, but I do look forward to seeing what's on the horizon. I enjoyed my WMR for what it is, but I also know a lot more about VR's limitations... so I'm willing to wait it out another gen I think.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
Imagine if it released with Orange Box 2... I would fucking die. Not that It'll happen, EVER, but I hope they at least pack in a 1st party game.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
buying

I really hope it has a wireless option, I do not wanna go back to stupid wired

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Same month as Oculus' Quest and less-than-exciting Rift S (almost guaranteed, since Facebook's big conference is April 30). The VR wars are heating up!

Will it beat out Pimax for high end VR???

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Like I said in the other thread, VR is waaay more accessible now than it's ever been. I'm excited to see what Valve has to show.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
This is the one I have been waiting for, please dont dissapoint. All I need is wider FOV, knuckles, good tracking and a wireless option (even if its extra).

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
It's launching in nearly a month, are they dropping any info today or just the image???

Bookoo

Nov 3, 2017
Half Life 3 as the launch game please?

They have 3 games they are working on and the rumor is one of them is a Half Life title that is a prequel between Half life 1 and 2 where you play as Alyx.

Very good timing since Rift S is like a minor step up and this is rumored to half wide FoV and probably higher res.

Tart Toter 9K

Oct 25, 2017
Where did they get that it is coming in may? As far as i can tell something is announced for may 2019, could just be more info or pre-orders.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if it released with Orange Box 2... I would fucking die. Not that It'll happen, EVER, but I hope they at least pack in a 1st party game.
That would be awesome but would never ha....

..... Well... now they have my attention.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
It's launching in nearly a month, are they dropping any info today or just the image???
Clearly a teaser, and it's almost 5pm on a Friday (in their time zone). Nothing more coming today. Unfortunately, since Valve doesn't have any big conferences that I know of, GDC is done, PAX East is now, and E3 is after May, who knows when they will really get into this?

Actually, I guess it could still happen at PAX East, though there's nothing on the schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.