• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
unknown.png
It says controllers required but not included.

It looks legit and "Lorem Ipsum (...)" is the general autofill text in most program (like InDesign). I say legit.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017

I really want this to be real so bad just for the 2 face gaskets. I can't use the Oculus Rift because my head doesn't fit their one size fits all approach while Vive (comes with wide and narrow sold separately) and PSVR is very comfortable. I hate having to worry if the new headsets would work for me and this is great news if true.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
So separate controllers in case people want to use just the headset to replace their Vive? Assume there will be a bundle too?

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How has Valve been in the past with availability of hardware close to release? I'm definitely on board for this, but it'll be a shame if it ends up being a thing where you need to preorder right away or it'll be many months before you get your headset.

Oct 25, 2017
I knew it was a long shot, but I was really hoping they had figured out the wireless for this release.

Why does it say it comes with a power adapter though? If it's tethered wouldn't it be powered through the USB 3.0?

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty nice looking.

How has Valve been in the past with availability of hardware close to release? I'm definitely on board for this, but it'll be a shame if it ends up being a thing where you need to preorder right away or it'll be many months before you get your headset.
They've never made anything this complicated (or high-demand, frankly) so it's hard to know for sure. We also don't know if they're making it or if this is the result of that manufacturing contract they have.

With that said, I believe the Vive and Rift went pretty quick, so...

Oct 27, 2017
Not being bundled with controllers seems weird, though. Makes me wonder if Knuckles are going to be real pricey and they want to give people the option of just using their old controllers.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Pretty nice looking.

They've never made anything this complicated (or high-demand, frankly) so it's hard to know for sure. We also don't know if they're making it or if this is the result of that manufacturing contract they have.

With that said, I believe the Vive and Rift went pretty quick, so...
I think they confirmed at some point that their own manufacturing capabilities are at the point where they can do it themselves. Between Steam Machines, Controllers, and Link they have quite a bit of experience putting out their own hardware now. Nothing on this scale though, of course.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Valve doesn't have a official reseller here so I have the feeling availability will be pretty limited. Also Steam Link and Steam Controller are still sold at full price so the Index will probably be expensive as hell.

Kinda sad they threw the Knuckles name out of the window.

Do we know if it's knucles though?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Magic leap or similar sensor on the front? Big black rectangle.

Also why is it asymmetrical

Oct 25, 2017
Why the non symmetry on the front though? Makes me wonder how real this is. Seems odd.

Any ideas on the power adapter listed?

This is an April Fools joke right? Right?

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
still waiting for a great headset (I made sure my 1070 had enough HDMI ports, thought pretty hard about Samsung +), never touching anything facebook puts out, so this is my new hope

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Why the non symmetry on the front though? Makes me wonder how real this is. Seems odd.

Any ideas on the power adapter listed?

This is an April Fools joke right? Right?
It's symmetrical. That part of the face is a reflective transparent piece kind of like a facemask visor (probably plastic) that is likely removable. What you're seeing is the reflection on it.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
Why would it need that clear plastic faceplate? Cameras are below it, so curious what else needs to see through the plastic.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Why would it need that clear plastic faceplate?
If you look at the leaked prototype pictures, it seems like there's a USB port in there for modular add on purposes or something. So you could take the faceplate off to get access to that.

There are also lights that are passing through in the bottom corners thus the transparency, though I don't know what those are for.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm assuming they're going to do some big unveiling in May, followed by pre-orders. Otherwise I don't get putting that date on the initial page.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
If you look at the leaked prototype pictures, it seems like there's a USB port in there for modular add on purposes or something. So you could take the faceplate off to get access to that.

There are also lights that are passing through in the bottom corners, though I don't know what those are for.
Yeah I guess my question isnt why there is a faceplate that is removeable, but why is it clear? Seems weird unless it needs visibility for some reason. The cameras are below that plate.

sebco

Oct 27, 2017

There are also lights that are passing through in the bottom corners thus the transparency, though I don't know what those are for.

Could this be for something like Leap Motion?

Oct 27, 2017

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I guess my question isnt why there is a faceplate that is removeable, but why is it clear? Seems weird unless it needs visibility for some reason. The cameras are below that plate.
Yeah, very curious about what those lights are for because that seems to be the main reason it's transparent besides maybe aesthetics.

Could this be for something like Leap Motion?
Yeah, totally forgot about that. This was one of the theories from the leaked pics for why that space is so big. The faceplate being transparent would add fire to that theory.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
  • Additional Notes: Available USB (3.0+) Port Required for Headset Pass-Through Camera & USB Port Support
It's going to be cool to see how they use the usb port.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Weird that it lists a power adaptor, would be really stupid to require that. Also disappointed that it doesn't have inside out tracking, makes me think this will just be the equivalent of the Vive Pro at a cheaper price point.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Looks sexy, probably one of the most cyberpunk looking headsets released so far. That faceplate is just aces.

Status
Not open for further replies.